Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Readblood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1EjqxEVW8

The results of the newest CUUSOO review are out! — Mars Curiosity Rover!

Sold. Now for them to just release the drat DeLorean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

All kinds of frickin awesome. Especially as it's all curves and angles and not really suited to Lego, it's an amazing likeness. Toss a coin between this and Orthanc for me... then again I'll probably get a PS4 instead as I don't have room for sets that big.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Needs a little ferry in the water to be perfect.
Very nice though, I'm probably the least patriotic Australian you'll meet and I kind of have to get that.

e: wow, dark tan bonanza.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 15, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Foo posted:

This is pretty cool stuff, I am not really that familiar with technic construction techniques.

Me neither, i was just loving around in LDD and then that happened. Mostly becauwe i couldn't get the spacing right with normal bricka. Also imma attempt to get a partslist built for the curiosity rover. Similar to the way i did for the normandy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

squarerandom posted:

Babbys first build:

I made these little Daft Punk and a set :3: I used a different torso piece than some I've seen (I used Mutt's from Indiana Jones, so the movie wasn't completely worthless!

I still have some more pieces coming in, so right now they're just throwin down a remix of Yellow Submarine. I hope it's kinda cool at least for now :ohdear:

Thta is awesome!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lizard Combatant posted:

Needs a little ferry in the water to be perfect.
Very nice though, I'm probably the least patriotic Australian you'll meet and I kind of have to get that.

Absolutely. The ferry pulling out along side it is such an iconic image. That got me thinking that someone must have done and old-school Manly Ferry MOC but I couldn't find one :(

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Readblood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1EjqxEVW8

The results of the newest CUUSOO review are out! — Mars Curiosity Rover!
Not as good as the DeLorean but still pretty cool. I wonder if they are actually pursuing the Portal one.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Wow that opera house looks incredible, especially considering the "architecture" opera house sucked so bad. . . I cant possibly justify spending $320 on the sydney opera house, mainly because of lack of display space, but also because I just don't really care about the building in real life. It's an interesting looking building, but just not something I really like.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Colonel Sanders posted:

Wow that opera house looks incredible, especially considering the "architecture" opera house sucked so bad. . . I cant possibly justify spending $320 on the sydney opera house, mainly because of lack of display space, but also because I just don't really care about the building in real life. It's an interesting looking building, but just not something I really like.

It sort of makes me feel bad for Adam Reed Tucker, who designed the Architecture version. But considering that most of his other sets are okay to very good, so he's probably fine. Also he did an amazing Emerald City for the Wizard of Oz group display at BW, so he still has his chops. (I got pics of that I'll post on Monday when we get home. There were no less than the literally jaw-dropping displays this year.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lego has made a few missteps in the sets they chose for micro scale Architecture. Guggenheim was another one where it was just too small to do justice.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Or the Burj Khalifa. "Here. Have a bunch of 1x1 cylinders and an antenna for $25."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Falling Water is the one I find most disappointing. It doesn't even really look like anything at all. Just a mess of bricks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Got to see it in person today.. it is a pretty epic set. Gonna passe on it though. Like you said, it's too goddamn big. Needs really deep shelves or a huge table to have it on display.

Is a pretty big win for anyone wanting a ton of tan parts though.

Favorite builds at Brickworld were seeing the minifig scale Serenity in person, which was goddamn amazing. Everything by the ToroLUG guys was ridiculous too. drat near every build they had on display was nominated for a 'best of'.

There was a guy near Serenity that had almost all the original space lego sets on display too which I lingered at for quite a while. Pretty amazing collection because most of the sets almost look like they're fresh out of the box and don't have 20 years of play wear like mine do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sockser posted:

Just a mess of bricks.

Sounds spot on to me! :v:

ChesterJT posted:

First part of series 11 supposedly. The snowman looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what that is he's supposed to be holding. Popsicle maybe?

Wow, already a million times better than series 10.

Honestly, Roman Centurion, Sea Captain, and Medusa are the only ones I like in 10.

I mean, for gently caress's sake, there's a Paris Hilton minifig! I'm surprised it didn't come with a night-vision camera!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sounds spot on to me! :v:

Wow, already a million times better than series 10.

Honestly, Roman Centurion, Sea Captain, and Medusa are the only ones I like in 10.

I mean, for gently caress's sake, there's a Paris Hilton minifig! I'm surprised it didn't come with a night-vision camera!

I need that Paris Hilton figure now for my Movie Theater modular, seems like all the mini figures I passed on, I now want to add more depth to the Movie Theater.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This little guy loving owns:

Microscale Missouri by mrxzzy, on Flickr

There is in fact a tank under all this greebling. :stare:

Want some greebling? by mrxzzy, on Flickr

childhood.txt :allears:

Space Lego! by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Close to 100,000 bricks worth of Chima sets, just chilling out in boxes. :fap:

Free Pallet! by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rythe posted:

I need that Paris Hilton figure now for my Movie Theater modular, seems like all the mini figures I passed on, I now want to add more depth to the Movie Theater.

What I'm doing is getting doubles of all the licensed heads and putting them on suits and gowns. Now they're the actors at a premiere.

Depp, Knightly, Rush, McShane, Cruz, RDJ, L Jackson, Johansen, Paltrow, Cheadle, Oldman, Bale, Ford, Fischer, Dee Williams, Bean, Mortensen, Wood, Weaving, Tyler, Rhys-Davies, Neeson, McGregor, Portman, Connerey, Rickman, Bonham Carter, Jackman, McKellen, Lee, etc... It's an A-list event. Plus others are easy to make like Walken, Caine, Freeman

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 16, 2013

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Here's the first thing I've made in LDD. Borrowed the cockpit design and worked my way back.

Few more pics in an album here. I feel like I've seen nicer LDD renders too, any tricks?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Royal Scrub posted:

Here's the first thing I've made in LDD. Borrowed the cockpit design and worked my way back.

Few more pics in an album here. I feel like I've seen nicer LDD renders too, any tricks?

I don't know if there's any external stuff that provides better renders, but going into the Preferences and checking "High-quality rendering of bricks placed in scene" and shoving the shading slider all the way to the right seems to make them look a bit nicer.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

anthraciteDragon posted:

I don't know if there's any external stuff that provides better renders, but going into the Preferences and checking "High-quality rendering of bricks placed in scene" and shoving the shading slider all the way to the right seems to make them look a bit nicer.

LDD2POVRay is what makes the pretty renders, takes a while though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Big review of the Orthanc set is up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Royal Scrub posted:

Turning up brick quality and checking the brick outline box are going to make the biggest difference. For the really nice ones you need LDDtoPOVRay and POV-Ray 3.7RC7, both of which are free and fairly easy to find with some google!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

What I'm doing is getting doubles of all the licensed heads and putting them on suits and gowns. Now they're the actors at a premiere.

Depp, Knightly, Rush, McShane, Cruz, RDJ, L Jackson, Johansen, Paltrow, Cheadle, Oldman, Bale, Ford, Fischer, Dee Williams, Bean, Mortensen, Wood, Weaving, Tyler, Rhys-Davies, Neeson, McGregor, Portman, Connerey, Rickman, Bonham Carter, Jackman, McKellen, Lee, etc... It's an A-list event. Plus others are easy to make like Walken, Caine, Freeman

That is a good idea, a lof of the heads from the mini figures are great, might have to hunt on Bricklink to get a bunch of suits and gowns for the mini figures. The movie theater set is really nice, great detail but not enough mini figures to give it that opening night feel of a Lego blockbuster movie, I have got to fix that situation with some new mini figures and a few additional cars from my other displays.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

This is pretty great, even with the low quality render. Well done!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I tried to piece together another old set today, the Blacktron Invader. Most of this is prompted by the acquisition of some new shelves that I just have to fill up with stuff.

At any rate, the set is 99% complete except for, oddly, two 1x10 yellow plates. I have all the unique Blacktron printed pieces I need, just somehow over the years those two plain old plates wandered off. Fortunately the correct pieces could be replaced by one 1x8 and a 1x2 so I still got the set built.. it's just weird how some stuff disappears.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

So I tried to piece together another old set today, the Blacktron Invader. Most of this is prompted by the acquisition of some new shelves that I just have to fill up with stuff.

At any rate, the set is 99% complete except for, oddly, two 1x10 yellow plates. I have all the unique Blacktron printed pieces I need, just somehow over the years those two plain old plates wandered off. Fortunately the correct pieces could be replaced by one 1x8 and a 1x2 so I still got the set built.. it's just weird how some stuff disappears.

Blacktron invader was the first of my old sets I put together after digging out my Legos from 20+ years ago a few weeks ago. The unique Blacktron pieces really made it easy to ID that I had that set. I had everything except the black hinge part for the cargo bay and a couple of the black hinges for the rear wings. Also was missing one wheel for my second rebuild project(6950 Mobile Rocket Transport). Which is strange since it's a pretty big, noticeable piece.

Once my latest order gets here, I hope to have the Rocket Transport, Invader and three or four smaller Classic Space sets complete. Then I can piece together what other sets I can still build cheaply.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Can someone clue me in as to why this 8lb lot of Harry Potter is going for $300+? I assume there is a chase set, but didn't think any of the Potter stuff was that valuable.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=13409403

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

Can someone clue me in as to why this 8lb lot of Harry Potter is going for $300+? I assume there is a chase set, but didn't think any of the Potter stuff was that valuable.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=13409403

Knight Bus is in there, as is 4730 Chamber of Secrets. Still, that's only about $120 worth of LEGO. I think people are seeing pieces of Chamber of Secrets and thinking it's pieces of the $300 Hogwart's Castle.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
Toys R Us has a buy 1 get 1 50% off all lego but technic and castle

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
To TRU I go!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

What the hell?

The Lego Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnY2NjSjrg

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The classic spaceman has a broken chinstrap :golfclap:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

There is no :catstare: big enough for this.

(This can't possibly be good.)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

cstine posted:

There is no :catstare: big enough for this.

(This can't possibly be good.)

Why not? I think it looks charming :3:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I went to lego store to buy some black pieces to add onto Daft Punk set, I walked out with the Millennium Falcon. Same thing, right?

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

The look. Gods, the look is perfect! I LOVE the subtle touches like dust collecting around the waist joint of the classic spaceman. "Henry Selick kidnapped by Michael Bay and forced to make a stop-motion Lego movie in CGI" is an apt description! I'm a big fan of all of their previous work (from Clone High to 21 Jump St), but If Phil Lord and Chris Miller can pull this off they'd be the kings of turning questionable projects into fried gold.

Also, LEGO LINCOLN!!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

squarerandom posted:

I went to lego store to buy some black pieces to add onto Daft Punk set, I walked out with the Millennium Falcon. Same thing, right?

Hey, there are black pieces IN it, so sure!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I can already see that we're going to get some good sets out of this. If it turns out to be a good movie, even better.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sloppy posted:

The classic spaceman has a broken chinstrap :golfclap:

I like that the classic space logo is worn, but the wear is all wrong. There shouldn't be any gold left at all, and the red might be gone, too, leaving just white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone here work for A Lego store? I'm wondering if you have any tips about applying?