Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I was actually looking for a fancy wrap themed around my club but after messaging various vendors that specialize in that type of thing, no one offers anything for the Summit. I guess I'll just have to use a painter. This is the type of wrap I meant, like I had on my dirt cars. It weighs hardly anything -

As for the weight thing though, the hobby may be one of ounces, but the Summit weighs something like 14 lbs so I don't think the rules necessarily apply to that! Oh, and I am racing it one time this summer. Axial is holding a Terra-X race in conjuction with the G6 overland adventure event held in St. Louis, and they have a monster truck class. A Terra-X race is basically a standard r/c race but the track has all kinds of obstacles/hazards. While it's really only a novelty to race it, it will still be hilarious wheeling a 14 pound goliath around the track.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just got back into the hobby after being out of it for like 15+ years. It used to be something I did with my dad when I was younger, but I fell out of it when he passed away. He started me with a Tamiya Super Hornet and then got me the Losi XXT-CR a couple years later. Loved that truck.

Getting back into it, I wanted more of a monster truck so I could climb poo poo and take big jumps. Also decided I wanted to give nitro a try so I decided to stick with Losi and picked up the LST-XXL. I have had it for a week now and ran through about five tanks and am only now really understanding how to tune it. I will get that engine running smoothly eventually!

Also, drat. I forgot how fast these things could go.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Well, here she is.

I got it setup yesterday and all the battery connectors changed to Deans and had a hell of a romp at the local construction yard. The shifting gears and remote locking differentials are a blast and work out well functionally. The discrepancy between first and second gear is gigantic. This isn't a "shift on the fly" truck like my old E-maxx. You pick one before you go. Top gear is fast and low gear is super low. Putting this thing in low gear and locking the diffs makes it as close to unstoppable as an r/c car can be.

This is the first time I've owned a "bashing" truck in 9 years and it was well worth the wait!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
:siren: Needknees! :siren:

My buggy is 99% done. All i need is a part number and or part for the throttle linkage. It is the metal ball that hangs from the servo arm. The ones I took out of my blitz are too big to fit into the cup. Help!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

:siren: Needknees! :siren:

My buggy is 99% done. All i need is a part number and or part for the throttle linkage. It is the metal ball that hangs from the servo arm. The ones I took out of my blitz are too big to fit into the cup. Help!

Good to hear you've almost got it done!

Depending on if you're using the stock servo horn (that sits on a big metal insert on top of the servo) or an aftermarket servo horn, you may need a different ballstud. The stock size is a 4-40x.215" ballstud, losi part # LOSA6028. basically any 4-40 ballstud with the proper length shank will work fine. Good luck!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Alright, so I found a ballstud that fit the cup, but the threads are to obig for the aluminum servo horn. (I know, I know)

I've included some pictures.

As you can see, the threads are too big for the aluminum horn, also it looks to be held on by a nut like in the first pic on the steering servo. I just need the part number of that ballstud that is the same sizae as the cup, but small enough for the horn.

Man this is frustrating.

OnlyJuanMon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 31, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't you just drill a bigger hold in the horn? Or would you run out of material?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

An aluminum servo horn with 4-40 threads will be hard to find. I see that you're using a stock hitec horn. Racers edge has some sweet machined 'pro' clamping servo horns I've used on several cars (having worked for HRP for 4 years of my life I used a lot of RE parts) but they are tapped for 3mm as well. Drill your hitec and use a nut or use another with 3mm threads and use a nut, no difference.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
you need a stubby servo horn for the throttle linkage with the gen III tray anyway. If you want to use an aluminium horn the one meant for the losi 22 works perfectly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I picked up a Slash 4x4 Platinum today. Wanted something fast-ish that could take on rougher terrain than the XV-01 and also wanted something I could get parts for locally (being stuck waiting for an XV-01 belt inspired this requirement.) Originally I'd been planning on an Axial Exo or HPI Mini Trophy, but, weirdly, both would have wound up being more expensive if I'd set em up how I wanted. Put three packs through it and it's a blast so far.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Well, here she is.

The tires look directional, if so they're mounted backwards.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Toucan Sam posted:

The tires look directional, if so they're mounted backwards.

Yes, they are directional and backwards but that is how they came from the dude on eBay. I didn't have a wrench or socket handy that fit the truck (and the dude didn't include one) so I just ordered one for 2 bucks from tower. I intend on turning them around. Some guys do run them backwards for extra grip though.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Yeah, i know quite a few people that run them backwards on purpose. I install tires for a living so seeing them backwards always bugs me for some reason.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Broke an A-arm on the slash and discovered that what I thought was a skipping belt on my XV-01 was actually a stripped out front differential. Does anyone know if I can just get the steel bevel gears and not the whole diff? Looks like you can get the little crossbars too but I wasn't sure if that was really necessary. It's the same parts as the TA06 and FF03 if anyone has experience with those.

In the meantime I might just lock the diff with silly putty and put it in the back so I can still drive the thing.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
:fap::fap::fap:
http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013/06/03/tekno-rc-goes-nitro/
:fap::fap::fap:

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

heh, someone's gonna sell Losi nitro buggy. :)

So glad I didn't upgrade to a mbx7 yet.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

heh, someone's gonna sell Losi nitro buggy. :)

So glad I didn't upgrade to a mbx7 yet.

Lol yep. Kinda pissed because I just built a new 3.0 bout two months ago.

...come fall this 3.0 will be for sale! that new tekno looks amazing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Selling my complete Exo setup to all who are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553140

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The EXO is probably my most favorite rig to run at the moment. I recently picked up a REPlay XD1080 and find the FPV videos are awesome to watch. It doesn't screw with the handling nearly as much as my GoPro Hero2 does.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So have any of you guys even been able to race much this summer? The rainouts this summer here in STL have been horrendous at all the big outdoor tracks (beit offroad or dirt oval). The big outdoor track here (STL Dirtburners) is actually under water right now as the river has flooded. I think that since the tracks have opened in April there has been maybe 2 good weekends of racing. There is an R/C Pro Series race coming up and I think the club is really scared on whether things will get better.

I have a friend who runs little league baseball for an adjacent town and he told me yesterday that during all of last season (April-September) they had 4 rain out dates. They are already up to 17 this year.

I was going to get a 4x4 SCT to race with my friends....but right now there is no racing.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
summer time here in Doha is the off season, its already over 40C here and that will peak over 50C soon enough.

Now's the time to clean everything and put it away till everything cools down, also means I can finish up or get new projects started!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I want to get some sand tires for my 1/16 slash and I've never changed tires before. Should I just get a second set of wheels, or try to remove my current stock tires? Does anyone have a particular type to recommend?

Also, since the Slash is 4WD, should I get four paddles, or paddles on the back and ribs on the front? The stock tires already throw too much crap up inside, I'm worried paddles would just fill the truck up with sand.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How easy is it to change the wheels on the Slash? If it is simple, it might be worth it to just get separate wheels for the new tires so that you can easily swap them in and out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I want to get some sand tires for my 1/16 slash and I've never changed tires before. Should I just get a second set of wheels, or try to remove my current stock tires? Does anyone have a particular type to recommend?

Also, since the Slash is 4WD, should I get four paddles, or paddles on the back and ribs on the front? The stock tires already throw too much crap up inside, I'm worried paddles would just fill the truck up with sand.

You are better off getting another set of wheels, especially given how cheap they are for that size. I would recommend going with rear paddles and some sort of regular tread on the front because it will steer a bit easier and you won't throw poo poo all over the truck. We do mud racing in my club and that is generally preferred over a full set of paddles. Paddle tires are such a one trick pony that you will be better off having them in addition to your stock all terrain tires should you want to drive anywhere else outside of sand/loose dirt.

With the Axial G6 event around the corner I've sunk even more into my SCX10 Bronco. I just put a set of 1.9 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on it (and the lift kit to be able to run them). I also redid my second Honcho and turned it into a powerstroke thanks to Proline's new F250 cab. What can I say, I have a hard-on for Fords. The event is supposed to be very tough for a truck to finish, and I intend to have both trucks cross the line! I'm having a good friend of mine who typically wheels a 1/8th buggy drive the stroker in the competition so I can concentrate on the Bronco.

Sweet Wraith kit and Vanquish parts Howser. Welcome to the money pit!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

So have any of you guys even been able to race much this summer? The rainouts this summer here in STL have been horrendous at all the big outdoor tracks (beit offroad or dirt oval). The big outdoor track here (STL Dirtburners) is actually under water right now as the river has flooded. I think that since the tracks have opened in April there has been maybe 2 good weekends of racing. There is an R/C Pro Series race coming up and I think the club is really scared on whether things will get better.

I have a friend who runs little league baseball for an adjacent town and he told me yesterday that during all of last season (April-September) they had 4 rain out dates. They are already up to 17 this year.

I was going to get a 4x4 SCT to race with my friends....but right now there is no racing.

The past couple weeks have been fairly slow for racing (other than the small, rather dismal turnouts we've been getting for our local indoor track) but I hit a BUNCH of bigger nitro races in may. Second round of pro series north at Fastlane in kcmo, the season opener at LRT in evansdale, ia, and the jcon spring Nats in Omaha.

Speaking of 4wd sct I just built a Tekno SCT410 this past weekend.... Looking forward to running that class again, hoping it takes off in my area.

needknees fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 17, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the look of that Bronco. Haven't had my Dingo out that much lately since I've been having more fun doing the fast thing with my XV-01. Somehow I toasted the bevel gears in one diff so I stuffed it full of sticky tack to lock it up and put it in the back. Haven't been that successful drifting it yet, but the thing moves out of the corners much faster if I'm careful with the throttle.

Can anyone recommend me a suspension setups for the slash 4x4 LCG for mostly asphault with a little bit of gravel/dirt thrown in? I'm a little clueless with which holes to use on the a-arms and towers, along with how much preload I should be setting on. My biggest issue so far has been traction rolling, though I guess that's probably going to come with the territory running an off road vehicle on road.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

The past couple weeks have been fairly slow for racing (other than the small, rather dismal turnouts we've been getting for our local indoor track) but I hit a BUNCH of bigger nitro races in may. Second round of pro series north at Fastlane in kcmo, the season opener at LRT in evansdale, ia, and the jcon spring Nats in Omaha.

Speaking of 4wd sct I just built a Tekno SCT410 this past weekend.... Looking forward to running that class again, hoping it takes off in my area.

Are you coming to the Pro Race in STL? This is assuming they don't have to race boats on the track instead of cars.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Question for Slash owners : I'm having trouble with the slipper clutch on mine, clutch assembly is new and it's slipping everytime I apply max throttle, even when I'm already at speed the only way to fix the slippage is to tighten the bolt at max, even half a turn untightened will make it slip. I'm running the shortest gearing (stock short gear) and while I understand the Slash 4x4 is heavy and with 3S LIPO some slippage is expected I don't want to gently caress my transmission by running the clutch locked.

Basically I'll be at 60% throttle maxxed speed and applying max throttle will just slip the clutch to hell (loud noise) and will not make it pick up speed.

How to fix this ? (is the LSD any good ?)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I showed off the stampede to my sister's boyfriend when they came up this weekend and he was having way too much fun. Last night he was sending me links of chargers/batteries. Cracking me up :) We're going to the beach at the end of the month so I'm hoping he gets one, seems like it would be fun to bash around on the beach.

Spurred on by his enthusiasm I finally ordered a lipo bag, some shock oil, extra body clips and a tackle box to carry the poo poo around in.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Are you coming to the Pro Race in STL? This is assuming they don't have to race boats on the track instead of cars.

Quoting myself because I was wrong. It's not a Pro Series race, it's a big Kyosho Nitro event.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Quoting myself because I was wrong. It's not a Pro Series race, it's a big Kyosho Nitro event.

There were a couple of people talking about going to that race, I'm interested in it but nothing is set in stone. Would like to race that track I've heard good things

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

There were a couple of people talking about going to that race, I'm interested in it but nothing is set in stone. Would like to race that track I've heard good things

If you come down hopefully I can meet you. That is going to be the biggest weekend of the year for St. Louis R/C. The Kyosho Nitro weekend race will be the same days as the Axial recon G6 crawling event and only about 10-15 miles apart.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Oh god, I just looked at some custom G6 wraiths, and now i'm looking at vanquish parts and brushless bomb proof transmissions, HELP! :cry:

That said, The beadlocks are gear heads EZ loc, they are by far the easiest beadlocks I ever used.

Also good luck on the G6! :)

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My Stampede VXL's cheapo battery was barely alive and my charger actually burst into flames last week. I dropped a little cash on a nice Dynamite ultra light charger and an Onyx 4000m 2s Lipo. All the things that charger can do for the price is unreal. A fresh Lipo has done wonders waking up my tired old truck too.

The old girl is back and faster than ever. Now the high speed parts destroying crash timer has begun anew :(

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
Doug I see you're still in here perpetuating the sickness...lol

Hoping to make STL G6, have a couple of guys lined up to help dump fuel into the Ford for the drive over.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Evil_Ash posted:

Doug I see you're still in here perpetuating the sickness...lol

Hoping to make STL G6, have a couple of guys lined up to help dump fuel into the Ford for the drive over.

I hope you can make it too, it will be a blast....if they ever release the freaking information!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

My Stampede VXL's cheapo battery was barely alive and my charger actually burst into flames last week. I dropped a little cash on a nice Dynamite ultra light charger and an Onyx 4000m 2s Lipo. All the things that charger can do for the price is unreal. A fresh Lipo has done wonders waking up my tired old truck too.

The old girl is back and faster than ever. Now the high speed parts destroying crash timer has begun anew :(

I was out with my friend's last night and I tried a 3s on my 4x4 vxl. While letting one of my friend's drive it, he cartwheel-of-deathed it and broke my wheelie bar. Fun times! Was pretty quick on 3s, felt like a dog going back to my 2s pack, haha...

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

I was out with my friend's last night and I tried a 3s on my 4x4 vxl. While letting one of my friend's drive it, he cartwheel-of-deathed it and broke my wheelie bar. Fun times! Was pretty quick on 3s, felt like a dog going back to my 2s pack, haha...

I had a 2s pack before and an ancient rear end slow charger. I thought I should have been getting more juice because it wasn't dramatically faster than my old NiMH packs. Either my charger or my lipo pack was poo poo cause its almost uncontrollably fast now. I can't imagine what a 3s would do. The tires balloon out ridiculously as it is.

I had a scare yesterday. I was out bashing and then heard some nasty grinding and the truck stopped. I thought for sure I tore up the diff. Turns out the set screw on the pinion gear backed out. Runs like a raped ape again after some minor surgery.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Last weekend Australia hosted probably one of its largest International onroad competition for a very long while (I don't know if it has hosted a IFMAR/ROAR final here), the Asian Onroad Championship http://www.aocrc.com/

It was hosted indoors (a rare thing in Australia, nearly all the tracks are outdoor) and on carpet (another very rare thing, as 99% of onroad tracks are asphalt).

The track and drivers stand were put up in one day, and although I didn't run there, it was an awesome setup and well run by the Dandenong RC Team.

Photos of the track and the setup can be found here: http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.php/home/339-aoc-rd2-practice-day

Hopefully if they host the Australian race at the same venue next year, I'll compete in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I bought a SPC Racing LiPo for my Traxxas 4X4 VXL around this time last year, and when I pulled it out of my storage box recently, it was really swollen. I tossed it out and now I'm in the market for a new LiPo. Any recommendations? I don't mind budget options, and I'm definitely looking for 2S instead of 3S. I don't really have enough space around me to get enough out of a 3S.