Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If they do re-release 12, I hope they still have the master audio somewhere so they can use that instead of whatever compressed garbage they used for the ps2.

I don't understand why they had to put the game onto a single-layer DVD. They could've done a much more reasonable audio compression on a dual-layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also no minigames. No, hunts do not count.

Does fishing count? I mean it sucked, but so does like every other FF minigame. Not chocobo hot and cold though, that one was cool.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'll buy X and X-2 if it means we'll get a HD FFXII with remastered audio.

Azure_Horizon posted:

FFXIII-2 was a fantastic game and I continue to look forward to what they come out with.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.

:psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

voltron lion force posted:

Does fishing count? I mean it sucked, but so does like every other FF minigame. Not chocobo hot and cold though, that one was cool.
FF12 had fishing? gently caress me I don't remember that at all. And yes chocobo hot and cold was amazing. Triple triad was fun and the Gold Saucer minigames were a nice time waster too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vanderdeath posted:

I'll buy X and X-2 if it means we'll get a HD FFXII with remastered audio.

:psyduck:

No accounting for taste I guess. I'm with you though, the 10 series are some of my least favorite, but hell I'll get them anyways if it means a shot at 12.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I bet he's a huge X fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X has some of the most solid gameplay of any Final Fantasy. X-2 has one of the most interesting combat systems. Considering 90% of the gameplay in a FF game is Fighting, that's pretty significant. Neither is my favorite but it's pretty easy to see why they would be someone's.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
No one in this thread has taste because Every Game is the Worst Game in the Series. I am looking forward to X and X-2, though, mostly because of the combat. I loved being able to switch party members on the fly in X.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 17, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I sunk a retarded amount of time in that dumb basketball game in FF7.

Every time was going to be the time I just kept sinking doubles and walked with 743000 GP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

I know I'll stick around and have a blast for the gooey RPG goodness that this game has, because it does have tons of it, but everything around it is just not great, haha.

Your buddy got to play the good part of the game. World of Ruin is the fun part everyone loves because its basically a bunch of post-apocalyptic sidequests to get the band back together and then steamroll the final boss because doing pretty much any of the sidequests will wildly overlevel you compared to the final boss.

World of Balance is pretty tedious and has FFXIII pacing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hate the story and characters of FFX but it's really fun to play - so fun to play in fact that I grabbed the sequel, Lord of the Rings - The Third Age :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

X has some of the most solid gameplay of any Final Fantasy. X-2 has one of the most interesting combat systems. Considering 90% of the gameplay in a FF game is Fighting, that's pretty significant.

But X-2 is 90% minigames.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

I hate the story and characters of FFX but it's really fun to play - so fun to play in fact that I grabbed the sequel, Lord of the Rings - The Third Age :v:

No way, LoTR was FFXIII. Theres no towns, only an eternal linear dungeon capped off by a meaningless story and cutscenes that were made before the game was ever designed which make no sense and tell a different story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

No way, LoTR was FFXIII. Theres no towns, only an eternal linear dungeon capped off by a meaningless story and cutscenes that were made before the game was ever designed which make no sense and tell a different story.

The gameplay could not have been more FFX if the main character was named Sunus and the elf chick was named Moona.

That loving Sned posted:

But X-2 is 90% minigames.

Even minigames are less tedious than some FF combat systems.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I love X and hate XII for what that's worth too. Granted the only two games in the franchise I flat out hate are II and XII so maybe there's something wrong with me. :v:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The only bad part of FFX is the "gently caress you, :spergin: players," they put in by not having unused characters gain experience and sphere points.

Every battle was at least twice as long because of that ...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The gameplay could not have been more FFX if the main character was named Sunus and the elf chick was named Moona.

I don't remember having to dump points into accuracy in FFX or the ending of LoTR being to kill my dad, then myself. Granted, given that what I remember of the story of LoTR was "Do what the people in the movie did but hours/weeks later for a second time for some reason" I'm probably forgetting the huge FFX parallels.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The only bad part of FFX is the "gently caress you, :spergin: players," they put in by not having unused characters gain experience and sphere points.

Ehhh the way the game had a sort of hard counter system going for much of the game it wasn't that hard to just rotate in the needed character for that fight and have them keep up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

X-2 has one of the most interesting combat systems. Considering 90% of the gameplay in a FF game is Fighting, that's pretty significant. Neither is my favorite but it's pretty easy to see why they would be someone's.

90% of MOST FF games is fighting, but ironically not X-2; 90% of X-2 is lovely horrible minigames. So its decent battle system is wasted.

And I maintain that anyone who claims the game plays itself because you can just "set up the right gambit system" for bosses and tough marks was overleveled. Or maybe I was underleveled, but the battles are a lot of fun and very engaging when bosses can one-shot your characters all over the place and totally screw up your well-laid plans.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, I always swap them all out and at least make them defend just so everyone gets the AP. Except Kimahri because well...Kimahri. I wish everyone just got the AP and that was that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I don't remember having to dump points into accuracy in FFX or the ending of LoTR being to kill my dad, then myself. Granted, given that what I remember of the story of LoTR was "Do what the people in the movie did but hours/weeks later for a second time for some reason" I'm probably forgetting the huge FFX parallels.

You're talking about the story which nobody else is. The combat system is flat-out FFX's stolen directly with maybe one or two completely irrelevant changes. (I never touched accuracy.) They barely even changed the interface. It's one of the most blatant copies anyone has ever seen.

Schwartzcough posted:

And I maintain that anyone who claims the game plays itself because you can just "set up the right gambit system" for bosses and tough marks was overleveled. Or maybe I was underleveled, but the battles are a lot of fun and very engaging when bosses can one-shot your characters all over the place and totally screw up your well-laid plans.

I never grind in a video game so I wasn't overleveled unless you become overleveled through just playing the game. I like being underleveled so I specifically try to be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 17, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You're talking about the story which nobody else is. The combat system is flat-out FFX's stolen directly with maybe one or two completely irrelevant changes. (I never touched accuracy.) They barely even changed the interface. It's one of the most blatant copies anyone has ever seen.

I'm going to have to go play it again now because I loved FFX and I quit LoTR somewhere during the second movie because I would die on random mobs because I hit so rarely that they would kill me via attrition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You're talking about the story which nobody else is. The combat system is flat-out FFX's stolen directly with maybe one or two completely irrelevant changes. (I never touched accuracy.)

The only good thing I remember about LotR the Third Age was the FFX combat system. It had roughly the same layout as FFX's combat screen, too, with the upcoming turn tick order in the upper right hand of the screen. Which was helpful in both games.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Okay, I know FF6 is just a bit of a sacred cow, but man, it is a really decent game that has a lot of bad and dumb things happen, at least at the onset. The first 3 hours of the game so far have just been weirdly void of any meaning.

I've only played it once and I got to the world of ruin and a buddy started playing when I stopped and basically finished the game, and this was 10+ years ago.

But so far all the characters have done is bounce around from one place to the next, we've already revisited areas a couple times, and Sabin & Cyan's Wacky Ghost Train Adventure has been the dumbest thing ever. So after the 2spooky ghost train lets us off at a random stop because "Ok, you beat on my iron frame enough, ye bastards", the brilliant duo decides the best way to get down a mountain is to jump into a six mile deep waterfall and hope for the best.

I know I'll stick around and have a blast for the gooey RPG goodness that this game has, because it does have tons of it, but everything around it is just not great, haha.

One of the things I like most about FFVI is all of the ridiculous characters. A Moogle, a ninja, a hobo-mime, a girl whose drawings come to life, several rakish rouges and other assorted weirdos. It worked so well and made battles fun.

If there is one game that would be utterly perfect for a 3DS remake a la FFIV, it is this one. Which is exactly why Square will never, ever do it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

PunkBoy posted:

No one in this thread has taste because Every Game is the Worst Game in the Series.

Every time someone mentions this, I feel the need to come out and say, no, that's not true. Just look at the Four Job Fiesta thread. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Every time someone mentions this, I feel the need to come out and say, no, that's not true. Just look at the Four Job Fiesta thread. :)

No, plenty of people dislike FFV. They just, obviously, don't post in the FFV-dedicated challenge thread. There are a lot of complaints about the simplistic barely-there story or the lackluster villains or the repetitive environments/ Most people agree the gameplay is fairly solid but I'm sure you'll find someone out there who calls it the worst in the series.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, plenty of people dislike FFV. They just, obviously, don't post in the FFV-dedicated challenge thread. There are a lot of complaints about the simplistic barely-there story or the lackluster villains or the repetitive environments/ Most people agree the gameplay is fairly solid but I'm sure you'll find someone out there who calls it the worst in the series.

FFV and FFXII are my two least favorites. I couldn't get involved in FFV's story or characters. The job system is literally the only thing it has going for it, in my opinion, and even then I feel like the DS remake of III does a much better job.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SlenderWhore posted:

I couldn't get involved in FFV's story or characters
Well there's your problem: you're looking too hard for something that never actually existed. The only story and characterization that matters in FF5 is "airship road rage." All else is incidental.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Well there's your problem: you're looking too hard for something that never actually existed. The only story and characterization that matters in FF5 is "airship road rage." All else is incidental.

Butts goes on an adventure about Crystals, and who is that dashing man on that bridge?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Then the V haters must be the least vocal group out of all the people that hate FF#. Every time it's brought up, people always praise it and its gameplay.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I didn't care for XII when it came out because it reminded me too much of an MMO. But if it were rereleased I would definitely give it another shot!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

One of the reasons I prefer FFIII (DS :v:) to FFV is that, while both games have a non-existent story, III has much less of it. It's why I'm interested in replaying I and III at some point, but not V.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Then the V haters must be the least vocal group out of all the people that hate FF#. Every time it's brought up, people always praise it and its gameplay.

Because usually the conversations start with "I'm playing (X) for the first time and (have problems with Y)" and that happens less with FFV because it isn't recommended as often.

As you can see, bringing it up brings out people who will gladly discuss why the dislike it!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Because usually the conversations start with "I'm playing (X) for the first time and (have problems with Y)" and that happens less with FFV because it isn't recommended as often.

As you can see, bringing it up brings out people who will gladly discuss why the dislike it!

Yeah, guess the couple of people that said up there that they didn't like it already proves the rule. Can't wait to see why Versus XV will be the new hated game of the series!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Yeah, guess the couple of people that said up there that they didn't like it already proves the rule. Can't wait to see why Versus XV will be the new hated game of the series!

Put me down on a fiver for "It's not Final Fantasy, it's a reskinned Kingdom Hearts" with a mix of "there's no overworld" and "The plot is stupid!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm going to guess there's going to be plenty of "I hate Noctis!" as well.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Y'know, I'll take it back. FFV and FFXII aren't that bad, they just aren't my favorites, but both are great games compared to II. II is almost universally disliked- which is one of the reasons why it is frequently packed with I. It's in that awkward position of being the sequel to the first and coming before the much more fun third, its battle system is horrible, the storyline is forgettable, and the graphics aren't particularly good either.

It's a forgettable game. I suppose it's the closest you'll get to a "hated" FF game that you'll hear almost nobody mention as their favorite.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 17, 2013

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've yet to see a FF game handle interaction between all playable characters as well as FF5. Most of the other games have the characters as a bunch of random people forced to band together by circumstance. FF5's one of the few where everyone in the party end up being friends. Even 9 and 10, where most of the playable characters like each other, have a couple people that are just kinda off to the sidelines. I like 5's story just because your party's friendships are actually believable and reinforced throughout the story, like all the various times each party member saves everyone else's asses.

Of course, FF5 doesn't really have any enjoyable characters outside the five playable characters, besides Gilgamesh and GBA-translation Ghido of course. Exdeath doesn't really have much of a personality, Cid and Mid are dull, and the other half-dozen important characters are just there. And of course the overall story's just there, though FF5's story's strength is more on individual moments, like Faris leaping a cliff to save Lenna, Galuf infiltrating Exdeath's castle to save the party, or Lenna constantly poisoning herself to save dragons.

FF5's story is pretty much, "Your party members are pretty badass and are best buds!" And as someone who's repeatedly praised FF4's simple story over and over, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.

Could you provide a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

How can I hate it when it's used to raise money for charity? I always love doing the FFV runs every June for the Four Job Fiesta.