Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
One of the wikis says I need to be orthodox to create the Roman Empire, but in game it looks like it will happen if I just usurp the Byzantines. Which is correct, can I create a Norse Norwegian Roman Emperor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

One of the wikis says I need to be orthodox to create the Roman Empire, but in game it looks like it will happen if I just usurp the Byzantines. Which is correct, can I create a Norse Norwegian Roman Emperor?

You do not have to be orthodox to create the Roman Empire, but IIRC pagans can't reform it.

EDIT: Unrelated, but another benefit of strong vassals is that when they do rebel, they're powerful enough that nobody is going to gently caress with them while you're fighting off their independence war. When I would have lots of smaller, weaker vassals I would inevitably lose a bunch of duchies to someone else during the revolt.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Non Sequitur posted:

You don't need to do this. The Caliphate is destroyed if the holder becomes unlanded. Just conquer every last county of the current holder and it's gone.

Weeeeell I just killed a lot of Caliphs for no real reason then. Whoops.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rejected Fate posted:

Weeeeell I just killed a lot of Caliphs for no real reason then. Whoops.

Oh man, the history books are going to be a hell of a thing for your future.

quote:

In 1124 Emir Rejected Fate was known to be responsible for the deaths of seven of his rivals, and the 'accidental' deaths of nineteen more can be inferred to be his doing as well. However, it later turned out that there was no need for him to do this whatsoever. Upon confrontation with this fact, the now-Caliph Rejected Fate was reported to have said "Whoops."

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.

Mister Adequate posted:

I picture it more like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2xifdO_l0

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kalos posted:

This is how you turn an empire into a constant mess of independence movements, yes. Kings will almost always join the faction and will almost always have enough dudes to then make the faction leader press the issue.

There is a console command to get the "make a move" event on one of your vassals. Trying to use it on anything else, or just using it as a female ruler at all, causes poo poo to get weird.

Upon taking the throne, instantly sending out cash gifts, holding a feast and giving the better honorary titles to your Kings can keep most of them in line until short reign goes away. Unless of course your ruler is terrible/a child/a non-attractive woman.

EDIT: Keeping all of your kings in-dynasty and of the same culture is also critical.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 17, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Did they change the way personal diplomacy works? I'm getting a +54 modifier :stare:

E: Definitely getting that bonus outside my own courtiers. Looks like I'm doing whatever the gently caress I want this generation.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

jpmeyer posted:

You do not have to be orthodox to create the Roman Empire, but IIRC pagans can't reform it.

I inherited Byzantine empire as a reformed norse and roman decisions weren't there.
Looking at the code you have to be a Christian(any kind) to do it.
Mending schism decision requires you to be strictly orthodox.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm not even Caliph. Sultan Complete-rear end in a top hat isn't going to be it, I don't think. I have too low piety. His son might, though. I forget the requirements to create the caliphate. I'm not sure if it's because of me our religious authority has gone all the way down to the 40s. I think it might be though.

I find it amusing that I got the title Great before I started my terrible "10 years of stabbing child Caliphs".

It's even worse when it was an Abassid who got me all of Mesopotamia for me.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
Is there an upside to having a vassal merchant republic as a king or emperor? Does it increase the taxes in your holdings at all? From my brief time playing as Venice it seems like it would.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fardels Bear posted:

Is there an upside to having a vassal merchant republic as a king or emperor? Does it increase the taxes in your holdings at all? From my brief time playing as Venice it seems like it would.

Pulling in shitloads of money from burgher taxes is a nice upside!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I just had the Ilkhanate show up in my Scandinavia game. Fighting them (well, getting my arse kicked) via rivers was an interesting experience. I'd taken most of the Russian Empire and Cumania, with just one last Seljuk holdout blocking my way. I had to assassinate him to grab his county, since I'd been trying to previously and had accidentally white peaced him. So with that done, I gathered together a bunch of boats and stuffed a load of men on them as fast as I could, sent them down the Volga and dumped two hundred thousand angry Norsemen on the Ilkhanate doomstack...

...just in time for my warscore to drop to -100 and for the Mongols to take all of Cumania off me. :v:

My consolation prize was that when the Golden Horde arrived the first thing they did was to take the last county held by Perm. The second thing they did was to try and grab Cumania for themselves. They went to war with the Ilkhanate and lost badly, losing the entirety of their initial doomstack in the process. So naturally, as soon as they were done I went to war with them, took their only county and unthroned the Great Khan before he could even get started.

Suffice to say, I like rivers. It's just a pity that you have to actively control them yourself after a certain point. I've been trying to play a more hands-off game this time, handing out kingdoms to my dynasts and granting them independence, but I don't want to lose those oh-so-handy routes in the Black Sea and the Caspian. Be nice if you could sail through territories that you aren't hostile with. Perhaps if the game took a small amount out of your treasury as your boats passed through them as a toll it'd be suitably realistic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fardels Bear posted:

They make a lot of money but are generally more bitchy than your other vassals (-30 wrong government, -X for MY TAX DUCATS), so be careful about them getting too big.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They make a lot of money but are generally more bitchy than your other vassals (-30 wrong government, -X for MY TAX DUCATS), so be careful about them getting too big.

They'll bitch a lot, but unlike feudal vassals they generally are very slow at expanding. A good alternative if you think duke-level bishops are too gamey in how stable they are but are fed up with nobles being scheming and sneaky bastards with their inheritances and intermarriages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

They'll bitch a lot, but unlike feudal vassals they generally are very slow at expanding. A good alternative if you think duke-level bishops are too gamey in how stable they are but are fed up with nobles being scheming and sneaky bastards with their inheritances and intermarriages.

Unfortunately they have a billion ducats and a pile of retinues so whenever they join an independence revolt you can expect a few thousand troops despite their small footprint.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Or you can a situation like in my Denmark game where the various doges of sjaeland decided to go and conquer random poo poo (including half of ireland :shepface:) making me terrified of ever crossing them. :gonk:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fardels Bear posted:

They'll also give you shitloads of ships in addition to money.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I've been playing as a count in the HRE and after a nice start I've decided to play as much of a nice guy, non-murdering style.

I'm ruled by my brother who is a duke and he handed out a few counties to me for free right at the start and threw feasts every month so I figure he's a cool dude and I'll avoid murdering him. Our other shithead brother rebels against the duke and we throw him in jail and I steal his land while he enjoys the dukes dungeon.

Now I have 100% of the counties I need for a duchy but I think because I'm ruled by a duke currently I can't petition to have a duchy because then I'd be the same rank as my liege.

What options do I have to expand in a way without having to depose my liege brother the duke?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fardels Bear posted:

All the boats you could ever need.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

I've been playing as a count in the HRE and after a nice start I've decided to play as much of a nice guy, non-murdering style.

I'm ruled by my brother who is a duke and he handed out a few counties to me for free right at the start and threw feasts every month so I figure he's a cool dude and I'll avoid murdering him. Our other shithead brother rebels against the duke and we throw him in jail and I steal his land while he enjoys the dukes dungeon.

Now I have 100% of the counties I need for a duchy but I think because I'm ruled by a duke currently I can't petition to have a duchy because then I'd be the same rank as my liege.

What options do I have to expand in a way without having to depose my liege brother the duke?

Go steal someone else's duchy. Though you will of course no longer be your brother's vassal but rather duke bros.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what exactly is a naval bomb?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

CobiWann posted:

So what exactly is a naval bomb?

The AI is infuriatingly good at avoiding battles it doesn't want to fight. The main way to trick it is to put an army it can beat on a coastal province, with the bulk of your army waiting in a fleet in a neighboring ocean province. Their army will take the bait and attack the small army, whereupon the rest of your forces land in that province and stomp the crap out of them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I am unsure if this is a bug or not, I don't remember this happening before I had the Old Gods but then again it has been a while:

When you hold feast/grand hunt/summer fair does anybody else get about 3 event windows all happening simultaneously once they kick off? This happens in particular when doing Grand Hunts. I'm not really complaining as they usually are positives but I don't remember this happening before installing Old Gods, but then again I didn't play much before Old Gods.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is there any way to defend against raiders? I could beat them easily but they'll be gone before I can engage them with my armies. Makes me wish CKII supported naval combat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Avalerion posted:

Is there any way to defend against raiders? I could beat them easily but they'll be gone before I can engage them with my armies. Makes me wish CKII supported naval combat.
Retinues seems to be pretty good. When they're fully stocked, they don't cost any upkeep, and you can just keep them sitting on the holdings you want to protect.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Considering I'm missing TOG, LoR, and The Republic, how much of the game would you say I'm missing (I'm aware it is 100% playable, exclude Republics and Pagans, and it functions online). I don't have much money to give to games but the lure of TOG and the Republic is starting to over take me.

E: I want retinues :gonk:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 17, 2013

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Considering I'm missing TOG, LoR, and The Republic, how much of the game would you say I'm missing (I'm aware it is 100% playable, exclude Republics and Pagans, and it functions online). I don't have much money to give to games but the lure of TOG and the Republic is starting to over take me.

The only DLC I regret is the Sunset Invasion. The rest have all been well worth the money in features & gameplay. All the different flavors added (vikings/republics/muslims/byzantia) play differently and all are entertaining.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Republic is literally only if you want to play as a republic, which can be pretty fun. I'd say about 5 % of content.

LoR adds a lot of events and stuff for Byzantines. Retinues are... nifty. Not game changing, just nifty. I'd says about 10 % of content.

TOG is the biggest thing missing, there's so much content added and it adds years to the gameplay. I'd say 20 % of content.

So that's all together about 35%.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fardels Bear posted:

As an example from my Roman Empire game (1200 holdings and growing), each of my 4 Doge vassals are giving me ~60-80 gold income. Of course, some of the Prince-Archbishops are giving me 30-40 and are way less bitchy (and also a good source of piety; I'm getting 12 piety per month just from them before Majesty bonuses).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Republic is literally only if you want to play as a republic, which can be pretty fun. I'd say about 5 % of content.

LoR adds a lot of events and stuff for Byzantines. Retinues are... nifty. Not game changing, just nifty. I'd says about 10 % of content.

TOG is the biggest thing missing, there's so much content added and it adds years to the gameplay. I'd say 20 % of content.

Missing Republic is kind of a shame because they are so much fun, but I agree that overall you're not too bad off missing it.

Retinues are game changing as hell. I'm not sure why you think they aren't that big of a deal, but in my current ck2+ game, I have 30k Pike+HI just chilling out, waiting for me to go find someone to beat up on. That's a massive army that I don't have to raise from scratch every time, and I can position them wherever I want. Plus, they regenerate, so my army doesn't constantly get smaller from attrition.

TOG is just absolutely crazy fun, and it's hard to play anything but a Viking now. I'd personally rate that one the highest of all, especially because it lets you move the start date back 200 years.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Something really needs to be done about vikings in Azerbaijan in CK2+ :psyduck:

They're also pretty reluctant to convert to local faith or culture as well.

Also because the Suez is transversable while I was dealing with a Shia invasion they sailed down and looted Medina :negative:

I feel like I shall have to holy war them despite it creating ugly borders.

SeaTard posted:

Retinues are game changing as hell. I'm not sure why you think they aren't that big of a deal, but in my current ck2+ game, I have 30k Pike+HI just chilling out, waiting for me to go find someone to beat up on. That's a massive army that I don't have to raise from scratch every time, and I can position them wherever I want. Plus, they regenerate, so my army doesn't constantly get smaller from attrition.

Oh retinues are powerful, yeah. I don't know I feel like retinues are useful but in themselves don't make the game much funner. In that way I feel like you can do without it. It's a nifty tool, but not that much fun.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The only poo poo thing DLCs added is probably decadence for the Muslim rulers. Really wish they would remove it or improve on it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What other ways can I add territory to my kingdom?

I am still starting out on Ireland and I have the whole unified kingdom. Scotland tried to claim Ulster but I beat them off . I have a handle on fabricated claims and de jure claims through duchy creation, but beyond that I am stumped. A favorite tactic of mine was supporting idiots for their attempts on the title and then offering them vassalization, but this doesn't work on other realms, much to my displeasure.

I understand it is a game through marriages and inheritances through Kerchs lp, but I am at a lost. Basically I marry matrilinearly all the time, keep all my kin in court. I would try expanding kin onto the throne of other realms but that just puts my dynasty in charge, not myself directly, right?

Finally, for childhood events, why would I ever choose the bad option for children? I want them as capable as possible!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rejected Fate posted:

The Vikings raided there in real history though.

Donkringel posted:

I would try expanding kin onto the throne of other realms but that just puts my dynasty in charge, not myself directly, right?

If you press a family member's claim, and it is for a title lesser than yours, they will become your vassal. So as king of Ireland you can press claims for duchies and counties.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 17, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I just remove the decadence stuff from unlanded relatives and add more events linked to traits. Have a shitlord as Sultan and decadence might ramp up (still, player choice involved in picking options and counteracting it) instead of playing "relative wack-a-mole".

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

marktheando posted:

True, but I find it hard to imagine the bearded norse men putting up shop there.

Man, are there any accounts of Vikings thoughts of when they were down south? Something along the lines of "Oh god why is it so drat hot here?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rejected Fate posted:

Yeah, they need to be tolerated!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

marktheando posted:

A melting pot event for Norse and various cultures would be a cool fix. I personally think the viking kingdom of Azerbaijan is insanely badass, but I don't want to see Norsemen dominating the entire culture and never converting to another religion.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ThePutty posted:

A melting pot event for Norse and various cultures would be a cool fix. I personally think the viking kingdom of Azerbaijan is insanely badass, but I don't want to see Norsemen dominating the entire culture and never converting to another religion.

I thought there was already a norman and norse-gael event.
I guess there could be a general event of become norse-x culture or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Norabs will rule mighty Azerbaijan with tolerance!

E:

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, they need to be tolerated!

Oh gently caress my nuts.

• Locked thread