Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThePutty posted:

A melting pot event for Norse and various cultures would be a cool fix. I personally think the viking kingdom of Azerbaijan is insanely badass, but I don't want to see Norsemen dominating the entire culture and never converting to another religion.

Viking Azerbaijan happened in my game (Swedish prepared invasion) and they seem really precarious so I don't think a fix is really needed. Playing as Norse Novgorod I've had to save them from invasion/rebellion twice in ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think the King of Azerbaijan and the Jarl of Jylland decided to trade places and see if anyone would notice:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Trujillo posted:

I think the King of Azerbaijan and the Jarl of Jylland decided to trade places and see if anyone would notice:

This is hilarious. CK2 genetics!

And what is up with Ostlandet? They have not yet formed Norway AND they hold this big part of Germany? Are the Karlings that incompetent in your game?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Vikings are raiding Treviso in 1292 in this Byzantine game. :psyduck:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Vikings are raiding Treviso in 1292 in this Byzantine game. :psyduck:

Did Christianity spread to Scandinavia?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Did Christianity spread to Scandinavia?

Yeah, this is from a 1081 start. There's still four independent Norse counties in Scandinavia, somehow. Aland was the Norse county raiding Treviso, what the christ.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
From a narrative point of view, I actually really like the fact that reformed pagans can't raid in CK2+ - Since some independent rulers don't convert (or subsequently fall to the Old [Norse/Slavic/Romuva] heresy), it gives a real feel of the "followers of the old ways" hanging on stubbornly to semi-anarchy, while those that have reformed are acting more like the southern foes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Noreaus posted:

From a narrative point of view, I actually really like the fact that reformed pagans can't raid in CK2+ - Since some independent rulers don't convert (or subsequently fall to the Old [Norse/Slavic/Romuva] heresy), it gives a real feel of the "followers of the old ways" hanging on stubbornly to semi-anarchy, while those that have reformed are acting more like the southern foes.

That makes me wonder. If you reform, implement Primogeniture/Elective/whatever, and then surrender to Old X heretics, what happens to your crown laws? Does it dump you back into Gavelkind, or can you keep cruising with the better succession laws yet still get raiding/infinite levies?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SeaTard posted:

That makes me wonder. If you reform, implement Primogeniture/Elective/whatever, and then surrender to Old X heretics, what happens to your crown laws? Does it dump you back into Gavelkind, or can you keep cruising with the better succession laws yet still get raiding/infinite levies?
Surrendering to heretics just gives them the province they rose up in, I believe. It doesn't change your religion.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Haven't done with unreformed pagans but have experienced with Islam - religion change causes a change in succession laws.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know if you get tech points as a non-Doge patrician?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

SeaTard posted:

Well, in CK2+ (though I'm not sure it is intended behaviour) - the Kingdom of Norway, even when unreformed, had primogeniture. Creating the crown title forced my crown laws to become primogeniture.

I'm not sure this is intended behaviour, though.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Tell me my borders look pretty. TELL ME THEY'RE STILL PRETTY!

This is the result of me aggressively downsizing Scandinavia. I'm trying to keep hold of the Russian Empire area, Britannia and, of course, Scandinavia itself. Everything else must go, save for a few counties to keep the river routes into the inland seas clear and Venice for that sweet, sweet trade money. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in a hundred years or so. Practically everyone is part of the sprawling Dakthorr dynasty too, so there's claims and counterclaims and alliances all over the shop. I get called to war almost every minute.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Good God, are they all Norse? :stonk:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Yes they are. Just about the only place in the western world that isn't is Mali, because gently caress threading your troops through Timbuktu and Audaghost to get that place. They can chill out and do their own thing as far as I'm concerned. They managed to get conquered by the Moors, remain West African and get free again, so I figure they've earned it.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So how do Jihads work? Are they only activated by a certain time? Because I'm a Caliph with 4 personally owned holy sites, 100 religious authority, 1000 piety and 2000 prestige in 953.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think you have to wait until 1100 or so for any kind of large scale holy war.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Daktar posted:

This is the result of me aggressively downsizing Scandinavia. I'm trying to keep hold of the Russian Empire area, Britannia and, of course, Scandinavia itself. Everything else must go, save for a few counties to keep the river routes into the inland seas clear and Venice for that sweet, sweet trade money. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in a hundred years or so. Practically everyone is part of the sprawling Dakthorr dynasty too, so there's claims and counterclaims and alliances all over the shop. I get called to war almost every minute.
I would just give up if my game looked anything like that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Daktar posted:

Yes they are. Just about the only place in the western world that isn't is Mali, because gently caress threading your troops through Timbuktu and Audaghost to get that place. They can chill out and do their own thing as far as I'm concerned. They managed to get conquered by the Moors, remain West African and get free again, so I figure they've earned it.

Mod your game files to let reformed Pagans preach to infidel lords, and then start throwing court priests into some Malian jails.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Sankis posted:

I think you have to wait until 1100 or so for any kind of large scale holy war.

Ah well. Guess I'll start unifying the Arabs before I start expanding Dar Al-Islam :black101:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Odd little bug, my city vassal income skyrocketed suddenly. After about 3 months it went back to normal, but something clearly went wrong. Sadly no save because I didn't think about it when I was taking the screenshots, but my retinue upkeep also went through the roof at the same time.

I had this happen once before about 6 or 8 weeks ago, and it was pretty much the same type of thing (Merchant Republic, City Vassal income got huge). Maybe next time I'll remember to get a save game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, that is loving it. The Aztecs cheat and it's not amusing and it's not fun. They have 200,000 attrition-proof soldiers. The Pope declares a Crusade on them. I went at them 80k to 100k and lost 50k of my men. They lost 5,000. They won without even having their numbers reduced. They declare invasion on England and bam, there's two doomstacks in England and I'm somehow losing 6 sieges per week. And my Siege Technology level is loving 5, but it doesn't matter for the magic Aztecs, castles crumble as soon as they look at them. I haven't even had time to form up my troops, not that it's gonna loving matter because they don't take losses in battle.

It's cheating. It's blatant cheating and I'm not going to play if the computer's going to break its own rules. They have more men than I could muster if I controlled all of Europe, they don't need to split them up so I don't even have the opportunity to pick a fight, even if I did they'd brush me aside because they can't lose, they can't be subverted by any underhanded means, there's no game anymore. I just lose what it took me centuries to gain because haha, gently caress you. I'm turning off Sunset Invasion from now on, I'm not in this for the computer to masturbate and make me watch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Daktar posted:

Welp, no sleep for me tonight, or I'll have nightmares about this.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, that is loving it. The Aztecs cheat and it's not amusing and it's not fun. They have 200,000 attrition-proof soldiers. The Pope declares a Crusade on them. I went at them 80k to 100k and lost 50k of my men. They lost 5,000. They won without even having their numbers reduced. They declare invasion on England and bam, there's two doomstacks in England and I'm somehow losing 6 sieges per week. And my Siege Technology level is loving 5, but it doesn't matter for the magic Aztecs, castles crumble as soon as they look at them. I haven't even had time to form up my troops, not that it's gonna loving matter because they don't take losses in battle.

It's cheating. It's blatant cheating and I'm not going to play if the computer's going to break its own rules. They have more men than I could muster if I controlled all of Europe, they don't need to split them up so I don't even have the opportunity to pick a fight, even if I did they'd brush me aside because they can't lose, they can't be subverted by any underhanded means, there's no game anymore. I just lose what it took me centuries to gain because haha, gently caress you. I'm turning off Sunset Invasion from now on, I'm not in this for the computer to masturbate and make me watch.

I don't play with Sunset Invasion but this sounds like what starting next to the Mongols is like.

The only defense against them is to blob like all hell before they arrive, cheese the game by saving up money for them and then win by amassing hellishly large armies to fight them with and conquering through outnumbering the bajeezus out of them.

And stabbing their leaders. Never stop stabbing their leaders. An imbecile child will inherit eventually.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CapnAndy posted:

They have more men than I could muster if I controlled all of Europe

Not to rain on your rant, but my Roman Empire game which has far less than all of Europe (mainly just all of southern Europe and all but 4 provinces bordering the Mediterranean and Black Seas) can muster 325k troops. That's not counting my 9k personal troops, 37k retinue, 3k Varangian Guard, or any mercenaries that are available. They'd all need to be combined together, of course, and they aren't immune to attrition (unless on boats, which I can muster nearly 6000 of), but it is entirely possible to build a bigger doomstack than the hordes get if your empire is big enough.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rashka, why must you hurt me so? :smithfrog:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

I don't play with Sunset Invasion but this sounds like what starting next to the Mongols is like.

The only defense against them is to blob like all hell before they arrive, cheese the game by saving up money for them and then win by amassing hellishly large armies to fight them with and conquering through outnumbering the bajeezus out of them.

And stabbing their leaders. Never stop stabbing their leaders. An imbecile child will inherit eventually.

The get more free spawned troops with each leader so chain stabbing can be counterproductive. I just throw piles of soldiers at them every chance I get (offer to join wars to sacrifice your levies every time). They will gently caress you up time after time, but eventually their doomstacks will become small enough to beat.

Or just blob and kill them the second they appear.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

The Byzantine emperor became a Karling at some point in my current game, leading Europe to become half purple (and constant rebellions but not the point). However I thought that the empire stopped existing if the emperor became Catholic and that it would switch to the Latin Empire. Is that that a thing that happens or am I just not remembering it correctly?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I know the Byzantine Empire auto-dissolves if you cease to be a Christian, but I think Catholics can hold the title. I've never tested it with them, though.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Lesson learned, never arrange a marriage for your son and give him land before the marriage is accepted. Apparently the unmarried heir of Scotland is cool, but god help you if he has a duchy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Is anyone using CK2+ and Better Armies running into some weirdness with the Seljuk invasion around 1000? The event fires, but the Seljuks don't declare war for some reason and the doomstacks just sit there.

I'm playing Zoroastrian Persia so I'm semi-thankful for the reprieve but I don't think this is supposed to happen.

(also the event spawns two more of the Seljuk stacks and gives them to Cumania, which makes a certain bizarre sense but which I also don't believe is intended.)

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Arabian Empire's colour in CK2+ is kinda... ugly. I don't know, I think some type of dark green would be more appropriate.

How do I change the colour and what is a good colour to change it to?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is anyone using CK2+ and Better Armies running into some weirdness with the Seljuk invasion around 1000? The event fires, but the Seljuks don't declare war for some reason and the doomstacks just sit there.

I'm playing Zoroastrian Persia so I'm semi-thankful for the reprieve but I don't think this is supposed to happen.

(also the event spawns two more of the Seljuk stacks and gives them to Cumania, which makes a certain bizarre sense but which I also don't believe is intended.)

I know there was a vanilla bug that made this happen in the 1.10 patch with certain hordes (happened to me with the Aztecs). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I assumed Paradox took care of it. I dunno man.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Flippycunt posted:

I know there was a vanilla bug that made this happen in the 1.10 patch with certain hordes (happened to me with the Aztecs). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I assumed Paradox took care of it. I dunno man.

Yeah, I looked at the event code for all three versions of mongol_events (vanilla/CK2+/BA), and they're all effectively the same barring the tweaks to their numbers, so I dunno either. Ah, well, maybe I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see what I can try.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well. I let my abandoned due to constant revolt save on observe for a few hours. The end world is not at all pretty. Man, the Golden Horde really rips through when there are no major blobs to stop it due to the 867 start.

Edit:

Here is where I started the observation from and is the best picture I have of the extent of my Empire. Denmark, Bulgaria, Poland were all mine but I let them revolt because gently caress them. I know it's no big deal and I actually didn't set out to make a big blob. My vassals just kinda made it happen. The biggest thing I did, aside from unifying Scandanavia, was Great Holy War on Anatolia after the AI already took a big chunk out of it. I'd wanted to usurp the Byzantine empire and grant it independence as a Norse state. Then things started getting crazy revolt-wise so here we are.

Religion map from the same period.

The Ilkhanate and Golden Horde appear shortly after beginning my observation. With no large buffer states to hold them, the Golden horde quickly tears through Russia and into Eastern Europe.

After a century and a half of dominance, they finally begin to feel revolts. This isn't permanent but significant chunks do break off from time to time. Note how my glorious Yngling Empire has been nibbled at for the past century. Not pictured are the Yngling African holdings that soon become independent under Finland. At this point, Norway and Scandanavia are both Yngling. There's also a Yngling Monarchy in France for 3 generations somehow.

The world as of 1453. Amazingly the Byzantine Empire still exists and is probably at their most powerful. Scotland looks to be in the middle of a rebellion but has otherwise remained fairly stable throughout these 700 years.

Norway, Pomerania, and Finland are the three remaining Yngling states barely clinging on. Somehow the Finnish guy is Bedouin and also a Sultan. Scandanavia and the Fylkirate passed onto a new dynasty after being held by the my dynasty since 1000.

The religious map of 1453. Catholicism and Orthodoxy are dead. Long live the Lollards. Norse still exists among the former Yngling states and in the former Raider Kingdoms of the Mediterranean.

Weirdly enough my family still had a lot of their legacy titles, though. Do Muslims just not usurp? I had a King of Anatolia running around for some time after it was completely taken.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 18, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, I looked at the event code for all three versions of mongol_events (vanilla/CK2+/BA), and they're all effectively the same barring the tweaks to their numbers, so I dunno either. Ah, well, maybe I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see what I can try.

IIRC, it's cb_types that needs to be changed, for the special Horde invasion.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

CapnAndy posted:

I know mongols used to do this thing where they stacked all their forces dead centre (or flanks?) and that little quirk made them incredibly hard to beat/put casualties on even in a 1 on 1 fight; going top heavy like that trivialize some the early rounds of combat leading to a quick and easy win even if you account for their horse archers. Perhaps the Aztecs do something similar.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Pagans in CK2+ seem really bad at making kingdoms. There's been Norse duchies sitting on kingdoms for ages and they won't do it, and I'm sure Greater Poland can just be regular Poland by now.

I don't know, perhaps I'm unlucky.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My northern Neighbor formed Scotland shortly before I formed England, and can somehow field twice as many troops as I can. He's also my Brother-in-law and keeps calling me into Wars to conquer Ireland and just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I'm really waiting for this to backfire, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rejected Fate posted:

Pagans in CK2+ seem really bad at making kingdoms. There's been Norse duchies sitting on kingdoms for ages and they won't do it, and I'm sure Greater Poland can just be regular Poland by now.

I don't know, perhaps I'm unlucky.

Did an experiment with a Ostland-something that had enough provinces to make Norway by gifting them around 800 gold for titles. They spent it on a new castle holding instead so now I'm guessing it's not the reduced loot but Gavelkind messing with their AI. Also, for some reason the first kingdom you form as a Pagan defaults to primogeniture despite the patch notes claiming otherwise.

• Locked thread