Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Mightaswell posted:

So here we are, in the "food photography" thread, where "Commercial" food photographers looking to hone the craft are coming to look for inspiration and find feedback.
God who gives a poo poo post some pictures so I have something to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

LAchristus posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

We're all done with this now, right?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey mdtyson or whatever the hell your name is!

While I'd deem the first three responses to be largely negative, the fact that you offended Reichstag's sensibilities with your last photo evens it out a bit. So you get... "meh". You don't win, but you also don't lose. Maybe something weird will happen to you later.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

casa de mi padre posted:

God who gives a poo poo post some pictures so I have something to look at.

Ok
http://instagram.com/p/Sj5OOsGYM3/

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Hey mdtyson or whatever the hell your name is!

While I'd deem the first three responses to be largely negative, the fact that you offended Reichstag's sensibilities with your last photo evens it out a bit. So you get... "meh". You don't win, but you also don't lose. Maybe something weird will happen to you later.

I thought "random laughter" and "home run" were positive but that could be wishful thinking. Sorry to have stirred the pot but at least we're having interesting discussions!

I propose more mod challenges so people start posting more photos. Discussion and critique are better paired with images than concepts.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

mdtyson posted:

I thought "random laughter" and "home run" were positive but that could be wishful thinking. Sorry to have stirred the pot but at least we're having interesting discussions!

I propose more mod challenges so people start posting more photos. Discussion and critique are better paired with images than concepts.

You are Jose Canseco in that video fyi.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mdtyson posted:

I took the home run video in a "so close yet so far" sort of way.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

big scary monsters posted:

I took the home run video in a "so close yet so far" sort of way.

Yeah I saw it the same way too, but I had a chuckle at Reich's reaction to your commercial work.

So yeah, even if you didn't quite capture Reich's particular aesthetic, thanks for being a good sport about it and shooting outside your comfort zone a bit (admit it, it was fun).

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
You were fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

mdtyson posted:

You were fun.

Oh man I love the guy in the middle. The light, the action, the intense look. Have you tried cropping out the guy on the far left? I feel like that would make the image stronger.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

casa de mi padre posted:

Oh man I love the guy in the middle. The light, the action, the intense look. Have you tried cropping out the guy on the far left? I feel like that would make the image stronger.

Yeah you'd cut the oven sort of in half if you did that, but it might be worth it.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Sounds like a job for content-aware fill.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
You could fudge it and shrink the width of the oven and clone in some bricks from the right side to complete the left side. Maybe not worth the effort but it's possible.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cut the guy in half, it saves the oven, and bonus nicely frames the interesting bits.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Who cares about the oven, focus on the guy facing the camera. Everything else is just backdrop to him.

:colbert:

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Crop everything to the left and right of the bald man, including his own arms.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Won't ever fudge stuff in photos. I have a cropped version that y'all would probably like more. This version gives my client more to work with in whatever crops inevitably happen once it goes on their website or instagram or whatever. I've found passing photos on to a web developer is somewhat of a collaborative process.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

"Shame Dip"

No, that isn't my coffee, that's ostensibly au jus.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bully-curating the au jus ćsthetic.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
As a Jew, I am deeply offended and

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

RZA Burger: Frozen waffles, morningstar mushroom patty, over-medium egg, grilled slab of onion, tomato, diced pickle/serranos in aioli.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

Reichstag posted:

RZA Burger: Frozen waffles, morningstar mushroom patty, over-medium egg, grilled slab of onion, tomato, diced pickle/serranos in aioli.

You're getting better! Look at all that beautiful natural light hitting the food! However, thematically I think there's too much bare cement in the bottom left and it distracts from your thesis.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crosspost from the buy/sell thread. Roasted brussels sprouts with parmesan, braised beef.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
My friend traded me some free charcuterie for some photos of said charcuterie:

DSC_7491 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_7509 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_7531 by chazaraz, on Flickr

I think I might've overdid it with the kale (should've flattened that poo poo out) and maybe I should've shot at f4 or f5.6 to get it all in focus, but overall I think it looks nice. Do you goons think the white balance looks better in the first or second photo? The second photo is unaltered, the first one I cooled the temperature way the gently caress down then masked the table and warmed it up.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Doesn't look like a lot of charcuterie.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have half a pound each of rillette and terrine. I'll probably have a heart attack before I can finish it all.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

I think I might've overdid it with the kale (should've flattened that poo poo out) and maybe I should've shot at f4 or f5.6 to get it all in focus, but overall I think it looks nice. Do you goons think the white balance looks better in the first or second photo? The second photo is unaltered, the first one I cooled the temperature way the gently caress down then masked the table and warmed it up.

I'm not really feeling the 'charcuterie' aspect of these.

Also is that an aspic? :psyduck:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrine_(food)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It looks like an aspic.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It's a terrine in aspic. Terrine is any pâté or forcemeat-related food prepared in a loaf tin, basically.

As far as white balance goes, the warmer is nicer, though I'd back it off a little bit. And as others said, there isn't a lot of the charcuterie in those pics. You don't see what's in the bowl at all really, and you should definitely deepen the dof some. You might consider putting the rillettes in a much smaller bowl, piled up a bit.

Also the kale is entirely pointless and doesn't make sense either foodwise or visually. You don't typically eat huge swaths of raw kale with your charcuterie boards. Nuts, meats, bread, cheese, pickles, olives, some grapes...that's all you need. Maybe buy a few slices of prosciutto for the pic, but it isn't necessary. The bread is a little huge - consider buying a baguette and slicing it on the bias to get those nice, bite-sized ovals.

You should consider buying a couple of white dishes for doing shots like this - the brown rings aren't doing the food any favors. They're cheap, and you'd only need a place setting or two.

This sounds negative but I mean it's clear you can take nice pictures of food, you just need to work more on the arrangement and things, especially if your buddy is going to be using these shots as an example of what he can cook/make.

Edit: Here are some good examples of what you should be shooting for. A few of these have their own problems, but a big difference is that they mostly make the meat the star; there's no dof issues, etc.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 17, 2013

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Get the fork out

Edit:

Utensils are only useful if the food is being eaten ie half a piece of cake.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really like the one with the long and thin board and long dish, I'll try again in a few days with stuff like that since it looks nice and sleek. The other photos you posted just seem way too busy and the lighting is very flat.

What's the verdict on utensils? Universally a nay?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'll think of this the next time I'm trying to make something look unappealing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

Why not, if you feel it improves the picture?

I mean it's not like there's a rulebook (as this thread proves quite often).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

dukeku posted:

I'll think of this the next time I'm trying to make something look unappealing.

Those all look like the bad food photos ive seen in my Oma's Betty Crocker cookbook (1965).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm not quite as caremad about them but shooting orange/red things under incandescent light is gonna make it look reeeeally flat.

Especially on a similarly-toned board.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

I really like the one with the long and thin board and long dish, I'll try again in a few days with stuff like that since it looks nice and sleek. The other photos you posted just seem way too busy and the lighting is very flat.

Depends on how busy the rest of the scene is. If its a tablescape, definitely useful, but if its a visually striking dish, utensils can distract. Keep your silverware clean though, and make sure it matches the style of the dish.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nonanone posted:

Depends on how busy the rest of the scene is. If its a tablescape, definitely useful, but if its a visually striking dish, utensils can distract. Keep your silverware clean though, and make sure it matches the style of the dish.

Bad advice. Always include dirty utensils, preferably scattered with a folded napkin on a dirty plate with all of the food already eaten.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The next leap in food photography is going to be the After shot. Takin photos of poops in toilets. With red/warm lighting, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Musket posted:

Those all look like the bad food photos ive seen in my Oma's Betty Crocker cookbook (1965).

Yeah I debated including the last one because it's not so great, but I was mostly showing a lack of kale. Some of the others aren't bad at all, sorry.

Musket posted:

The next leap in food photography is going to be the After shot. Takin photos of poops in toilets. With red/warm lighting, of course.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

• Locked thread