Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dstyle posted:

It's coming up on time for me to pick a MOS and head off to MEPS. I'm not terribly concerned about what job I get in the Army, but what I really don't want to happen is to get stationed somewhere in Bumblefuck, Alabama with my thumb up my rear end all day. What are some MOS that are most conducive to a foreign deployment?

Please, please please please please pick something in the 35 series. Or failing that, the 25 series. But really, 35 series. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

shyduck posted:

Just out of curiosity, how old were a lot of these people? I weep for education in this country.

High School seniors and recent grads. None were older than 22 or 23.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I've been on a big kick lately watching documentaries and reading forums/books about American military training, and I have a quick question.

So the training I've witness for the Green Berets/Special Forces on the show "Two Weeks in Hell" looks just absolutely grueling. Borderline unbearable, and not one single candidate appeared to have an easy time with it, which is intended, obviously.

Once you make it past the selection process and the further training, and you become a SF solider, and then go on a handful of missions and really spend a couple years hardening as one, would that same initial selection process still be grueling? Like, lets say you go and pick out some random special forces solider with a couple years on his belt, but still young, and just dropped him off at the initial two week selection process, and the officers doing the selecting didn't know, would he just wipe the floor with everyone? How would drill sargeants/instructors/et al. deal with it if they had a recruit doing everything right, not loving up, already standing at attention with his rack made before wakeup?

I know this is very hypothetical, but I just can't stop wondering about it.

Excellent OP, by the way. Very entertaining and enlightening reading.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

honestly two weeks in hell looked relatively easy compared to what i've heard from people who went to selection but vOv

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Military instructors will almost always tone down how they do things when a camera is around.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

GenoCanSing posted:

I've been on a big kick lately watching documentaries and reading forums/books about American military training, and I have a quick question.

So the training I've witness for the Green Berets/Special Forces on the show "Two Weeks in Hell" looks just absolutely grueling. Borderline unbearable, and not one single candidate appeared to have an easy time with it, which is intended, obviously.

Once you make it past the selection process and the further training, and you become a SF solider, and then go on a handful of missions and really spend a couple years hardening as one, would that same initial selection process still be grueling? Like, lets say you go and pick out some random special forces solider with a couple years on his belt, but still young, and just dropped him off at the initial two week selection process, and the officers doing the selecting didn't know, would he just wipe the floor with everyone? How would drill sargeants/instructors/et al. deal with it if they had a recruit doing everything right, not loving up, already standing at attention with his rack made before wakeup?

I'm not in the Army as of yet, let alone in SF, but the only reason I'm going to try to give you an answer is because there are 3 Army SF in my family and this story kind of relates to the question you asked. My dad went through SF training in the early 80's before SFAS existed so people were weeded out throughout the Q course. While my dad was a team leader a few years later his team was called up without warning and tasked to do a bunch of random events each day, never knowing what was going to be next. They rucked long distances every day and I if I remember correctly they were out there for 2 or 3 weeks. He found out later that his team was used to test a sort of proto-SFAS and a few other things that were never implemented. And he said it sucked and they were pretty miserable.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Mustang posted:

I'm not in the Army as of yet, let alone in SF, but the only reason I'm going to try to give you an answer is because there are 3 Army SF in my family and this story kind of relates to the question you asked. My dad went through SF training in the early 80's before SFAS existed so people were weeded out throughout the Q course. While my dad was a team leader a few years later his team was called up without warning and tasked to do a bunch of random events each day, never knowing what was going to be next. They rucked long distances every day and I if I remember correctly they were out there for 2 or 3 weeks. He found out later that his team was used to test a sort of proto-SFAS and a few other things that were never implemented. And he said it sucked and they were pretty miserable.

That's really interesting, to be honest.

In response to the initial question- I'm willing to bet that the psychological aspect of the training would be a lot easier on a second go, and that while the physical demands are indeed strenuous the real kick in the dick for people capable of completing selection would be on the psychological side.. not necessarily the physical side.

So I'd intuitively say it would have to be easier in overall difficulty, even if not easier physically on a second go. But that's just a hunch, not anything approaching authoritative.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

When I took the practice ASVAB in my recruiting office a guy got like a 12. He was seventeen, still in high-school.

When I was still going through DEP/MEPS process a girl walked in, took the practice test and scored a 4.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I know everyone here is super duper interested in ASVAB score stories right but gently caress it here's mine.

Me and two other guys went with the recruiter to take the test and he was reading the scores on the way back.

Called my name and said 85. "Hey that's pretty good man."
Next guy got like a 38 and the recruiter was like "Ok man good job."
Final guy Gutierrez. Recruiter opened his envelope, cringed, and said "Gutierrez we'll talk later."

Pretty sure he got an 15 or something.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

GenoCanSing posted:

SFAS is physically and emotionally demanding, no matter the stage of life you are in or the training you have completed. One thing you need to understand is that SFAS is designed only to assess your train-ability as a potential SF soldier. Some aspects of the selection process are of course easier depending on your military job, but the SFAS cadre do an excellent job of teaching all candidates the basic skills they will need for the selection itself.

Do the best you can on every event. Don't be late, don't be light, and don't be lost.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Cloudy McPouty posted:

SFAS is physically and emotionally demanding, no matter the stage of life you are in or the training you have completed. One thing you need to understand is that SFAS is designed only to assess your train-ability as a potential SF soldier. Some aspects of the selection process are of course easier depending on your military job, but the SFAS cadre do an excellent job of teaching all candidates the basic skills they will need for the selection itself.

Do the best you can on every event. Don't be late, don't be light, and don't be lost.

Really really hoping this is IDR

e: not accusing anything w/ this post just saying it would be funny :)

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 12, 2013

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

dstyle posted:

It's coming up on time for me to pick a MOS and head off to MEPS. I'm not terribly concerned about what job I get in the Army, but what I really don't want to happen is to get stationed somewhere in Bumblefuck, Alabama with my thumb up my rear end all day. What are some MOS that are most conducive to a foreign deployment?

Before you sign anything, you need to take a good, hard look at what you want out of a period of service in the military. You say you aren't concerned about the job you get, but in the same breath ask what jobs are conducive to foreign deployment. In my opinion, the job you are doing is far more important than the location you are doing it in. This lifestyle is stressful enough as it is, I couldn't imagine having to go to work everyday to a job I hated and only took because it was in a somewhat better location than others. One unfortunate aspect of Army life is that the vast majority of our installations are located near some version of "Bumblefuck, Alabama."

Job you love >>> then consider possible locations

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

Really really hoping this is IDR

e: not accusing anything w/ this post just saying it would be funny :)

I'm sorry, I don't know what IDR is... :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cloudy McPouty posted:

I'm sorry, I don't know what IDR is... :(

He was a regular here who posed as a USMC Force Recon sniper or some bullshit. He's actually a chubby British gamer idiot.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

He was a regular here who posed as a USMC Force Recon sniper or some bullshit. He's actually a chubby British gamer idiot.

Ah alright, thanks for clearing that up. I'll clarify then that I don't wear a green beanie, but I have been through the entire SF pipeline. I won't post on something I haven't done personally. Stolen Valor goes far beyond just wearing medals you have never been awarded.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Ah alright, thanks for clearing that up. I'll clarify then that I don't wear a green beanie, but I have been through the entire SF pipeline. I won't post on something I haven't done personally. Stolen Valor goes far beyond just wearing medals you have never been awarded.

uhh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You can't post it on the internet if its not true....right? Right?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Tell us about your super secret job that's so secret it doesn't officially exist, but that you'll disclose on a publicly-accessible electronic medium that stores information :allears:

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Tell us about your super secret job that's so secret it doesn't officially exist, but that you'll disclose on a publicly-accessible electronic medium that stores information :allears:

Sure thing. The 82nd ABN DIV isn't exactly secret. I've been to many schools in my time in the Army, and nothing I have said here violates any type of OPSEC.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Sure thing. The 82nd ABN DIV isn't exactly secret. I've been to many schools in my time in the Army, and nothing I have said here violates any type of OPSEC.

Explain how you went through the entire SF pipeline but are not SF.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Explain how you went through the entire SF pipeline but are not SF.

During end-of-course counselings following completion of the 18c culex, I was told that my peers were too low. As a result, they would not allow me to continue on to Robin Sage. It was a hard thing to deal with, two years of work finished that way. I learned alot about myself though, both from the school and from having it all end like that. Hardest lessons are sometimes the best ones, especially when you have a thick skull like me.

I'm a squad leader in the 82nd now, which is where I grew up (meaning this is where I have spent the great majority of my Army career). Once it has you, it doesn't let go...

Cloudy McPouty fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2013

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I don't think anyone really grows up in the 82nd.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I NEED AN ADULT

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Cloudy McPouty posted:

During end-of-course counselings following completion of the 18c culex, I was told that my peers were too low. As a result, they would not allow me to continue on to Robin Sage. It was a hard thing to deal with, two years of work finished that way. I learned alot about myself though, both from the school and from having it all end like that. Hardest lessons are sometimes the best ones, especially when you have a thick skull like me.

I'm a squad leader in the 82nd now, which is where I grew up (meaning this is where I have spent the great majority of my Army career). Once it has you, it doesn't let go...

These are the kinds of details you should mention up front. I was preparing for more IDR-style posting :smith:

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
Can anyone give me some insight into what Parris Island is like during the late fall to winter months? Was scheduled to ship August 15 but that was changed to October 7. How is cold weather handled, are recruits issued winter gear, and does it get cold in the first place? I'll be there from October-January.

jstoney12
Feb 4, 2009
Active Duty Logistics CPT here ETSing soon and going to Vandy in the fall. I am considering joining the TN National Guard, but do not want it to interfere with my schooling. I will be in at Vandy full time for the next two years to include summer semesters. I do not want to deploy or have the "two weeks a year" have any effect my grad school. Anyone on here with advice on if I should join the TN National Guard or not will be appreciated.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't join the Guard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jstoney12 posted:

I do not want to deploy or have the "two weeks a year" have any effect my grad school.
Fat

loving

Chance.

If you join the Guard, each weekend/AT will occur at the worst time possible. Especially if you're in Grad School.

jstoney12 posted:

I do not want to deploy

Don't re-up unless you're willing to deploy.

In short

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't join the Guard.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Question about the Navy - when you are deployed at sea, do you basically have no time off? 12-18 hour days, 7 days a week until you are back on shore?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EAB posted:

Question about the Navy - when you are deployed at sea, do you basically have no time off? 12-18 hour days, 7 days a week until you are back on shore?

Not exactly. It depends a lot on your platform. The more people you have onboard, the more downtime you will have. On a submarine they shift to an 18 hour workday and it doesn't really stop until they pull back home.

On a smaller ship like a destroyer or frigate, you'll have various watch rotations depending on your rank and qualification. Sundays are typically holiday routine which means outside of your watch, you won't have to do much else. The other six days are standard work days. You do have some free time daily, though, depending on your rank/qualifications.

TheJukku
May 4, 2012

by T. Finninho
So I'm planning on hitting the navy recruiters to enlist soon, because I have buddies who did it encouraging me and I've always been kind of into this poo poo (hi 4 years of JROTC!), just had family discouraging me. 23 Years of age, clean criminal record and not much on my medical history, but not much of any employment history to speak of (a short while of college before my financial support broke down, followed by nearly 2 years of trying to find a drat job here in bumfuck rust belt land and pussyfooting around). I'd really like to get into ELINT type stuff or anything EW related, though I'm not choosy about what I get into. About what are my odds of getting in and geting into what I want to?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I got called, again :glomp:, by my local marine recruiters and finally caved into sitting down with them. I'm a rising sophomore at a well respected uni, BioChemistry & Molecular Biology major, 3.0 GPA, no student loans, no criminal record, no drug use other than alcohol, I've had a single speeding ticket which the recruiter asked me about. After undergrad I plan to continue on to Grad School. Anyways, she mentioned the Marine Reserves have a CBRN field and that sounded cool - so I'm meeting with her next wednesday.

What questions should I ask her? What should I be careful about? I agreed to talk because playing weekend warrior with chemicals and poo poo and getting my pyro on sounds interesting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I got called, again :glomp:, by my local marine recruiters and finally caved into sitting down with them. I'm a rising sophomore at a well respected uni, BioChemistry & Molecular Biology major, 3.0 GPA, no student loans, no criminal record, no drug use other than alcohol, I've had a single speeding ticket which the recruiter asked me about. After undergrad I plan to continue on to Grad School. Anyways, she mentioned the Marine Reserves have a CBRN field and that sounded cool - so I'm meeting with her next wednesday.

What questions should I ask her? What should I be careful about? I agreed to talk because playing weekend warrior with chemicals and poo poo and getting my pyro on sounds interesting.

You'll never do anything cool with chemicals or getting your pyro on. You also probably won't be doing weekend warrior stuff, though maybe.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Congratulations on the military finding a way to gently caress whatever school or other civilian life prospects you have planned.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Vasudus posted:

You'll never do anything cool with chemicals or getting your pyro on. You also probably won't be doing weekend warrior stuff, though maybe.

Mind telling me what CBRN actually does then?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do you like gas masks and hot, heavy, uncomfortable equipment?

The answer is no, no you don't.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsblayR_fQ

I'm not able to tell you the specifics as I was never CBRN (though HCT was, and hopefully he'll respond whenever he reads this) but this video is probably not very far from the truth. We also have at least one chemical officer though I'll be damned if I can remember who it is.

Generally speaking, you'll hardly ever do what you signed up for. No matter the rate, no matter the service, it's *almost* universally true. Signing up for CBRN when it doesn't really benefit your future career prospects is probably a very bad idea. At the lowest levels of enlisted, which you would be, you'll probably just do decon procedures and a whole lot of loving about. But I'll let someone that actually is/was CBRN comment on that one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It would be wise that if you do go down this path, you become accustomed with the signal and call "Alarm Red" which is immediately followed by being cooked inside a lot of charcoal-lined and rubber gear.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Do you like gas masks and hot, heavy, uncomfortable equipment?

The answer is no, no you don't.

Vasudus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsblayR_fQ

I'm not able to tell you the specifics as I was never CBRN (though HCT was, and hopefully he'll respond whenever he reads this) but this video is probably not very far from the truth. We also have at least one chemical officer though I'll be damned if I can remember who it is.

Generally speaking, you'll hardly ever do what you signed up for. No matter the rate, no matter the service, it's *almost* universally true. Signing up for CBRN when it doesn't really benefit your future career prospects is probably a very bad idea. At the lowest levels of enlisted, which you would be, you'll probably just do decon procedures and a whole lot of loving about. But I'll let someone that actually is/was CBRN comment on that one.

:stare:

Thanks, I'll go get some fake tats before I go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

:stare:

Thanks, I'll go get some fake tats before I go in.

Well don't let it discourage you completely, just consider your options. Do you want to give a fairly significant amount of time to something that really doesn't benefit you at all for future career prospects? It's okay if you just want to do something for the prospect of it being cool, that's what a lot of us did when we first enlisted. But there are plenty of other jobs (see: anything in intelligence/signals) that let you play military AND give you a clearance + useful skills.

• Locked thread