Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

X Factor posted:

The Ur-Dragon Blues: fighting him during grace period, getting him to zero health showing on his health bar, one heart left...aaaand he flies off and gives me the finger. Three times in a row. I hate my life.

Is there anything besides periapts that I can blow to boost my stats?

Do you have Bloodlust from Assassin(20% boost to Strength/Magick at night) and every other stat boosting augment that'd be useful for you? Also, you can use level 200 pawns for a bit of a boost as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Finally back from our 'visit the family' trip, so I logged into DA again after five weeks and have to say thanks for all the goon rentals(and to whoever those mystery Japanese people were.) Nearly 6m RCs were waiting for me. I'm going to start to return the favors once this jetlag goes away. I only wish I could take out more than 2 at once.

Here's hoping I can finish off the rest of the BBI items in the next couple of weeks with a lot of class jumping. D&D Arcade is hitting and I'll be playing that a whole lot, I just know it. It felt good to play this again after awhile. I can't believe that I actually WANT Capcom to go ahead and make a lot of addons and sequels to a game, but I'd be sad if they DIDN'T this time.

Also, a good Ur strategy if you're having trouble is the ol' Holy Enchant/Mystic Knight/Magic Cannon cheese. The dots are homing so you're guaranteed easy hits at his spots. Of course this is exceptionally easy and it almost feels cheap doing it but since he gave you the finger a couple of times it could be a possibility for ONE of the kills.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

RatHat posted:

Do you have Bloodlust from Assassin(20% boost to Strength/Magick at night) and every other stat boosting augment that'd be useful for you? Also, you can use level 200 pawns for a bit of a boost as well.

Yeah, I was running Bloodlust, Autonomy, Clout, Vehemence, Arm-Strength, and Stability (because I didn't have time to get myself into red for Exhilaration). I'm thinking (since I just started doing BBI) that going the high level pawn route would have probably been better, since I wasn't able to put the damage out myself with my gear and level.

Azaael, I was actually doing the Mystic Knight cannon cheese before this, but I screwed it up because Ur kept getting out of range (not that my sorcerer group was helping in that regard).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Finally got DA, went into BBI at level 39 and one of the first items I got was a Dragon's Presence, mace with a base 650 damage.

Guess I know what class I'm gonna level next.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

X Factor posted:

Yeah, I was running Bloodlust, Autonomy, Clout, Vehemence, Arm-Strength, and Stability (because I didn't have time to get myself into red for Exhilaration). I'm thinking (since I just started doing BBI) that going the high level pawn route would have probably been better, since I wasn't able to put the damage out myself with my gear and level.

Azaael, I was actually doing the Mystic Knight cannon cheese before this, but I screwed it up because Ur kept getting out of range (not that my sorcerer group was helping in that regard).

That's the one downside to that cheese. It has a range factor. If he feels like flying away all the time to the top of the thing... I was able to plink him with ranger arrows from down there, and I THINK Assassin arrows can reach him but I can't remember, but I know the Cannon ends up falling short.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How do people with magic oriented pawns let them level? Do you put them straight into sorcerer as soon as you get to Gran Soren and never look back?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I don't. Bastion is a valuable aug earlier in the game, and the Sinew / Leg-strength combination are required at all times as far as I'm concerned, which means you'd spend a fair amount of time as warrior, fighter, and strider. Also, having your pawn spend their first levels as a tank gives them a good HP base so they're not made of tissue paper.

I also found a lot of situations where I already had a good mage and needed another archer, and I felt like there was a fair portion of my first playthrough where my pawn had much better damage output and actual utility as a ranger than as anything else.

I maxed out every vocation on my main pawn before level 100, and she actually has a lot better stats all-around than Arisen, who spent probably 40 levels as an assassin. Her actual magic stats might not be phenomenal, but they're solid enough that augs and such keep her more than viable.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Ur-Dragon fight in Hard mode isn't even fun. Blast arrow spam is probably cheating, but having to scour his body for weak spots is annoying as hell. Killed him on my first try (time ran out once) at level 72, but yea. No fun. I popped a veteran's peripat before the final blow and did get a nice chunk of XP though :D

That being said, where's a good spot to farm with Banker's Peripat? I can do the run from the healing spring in Devilfire grove to the rest camp and get about ~220K gold (killing the Chimera/Drake/Cyclops on the way).

teknetik fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 15, 2013

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ugh gently caress Hellhounds. Nothing should be able to knock me down, drag me away, and then instantly knock me down again once I escape while at the same time wiping the rest of my party. Five of those things are more threatening than any other enemy in the entire game. How the HELL are you supposed to clear that chamber that has a wight, two Chimeras, and infinity of those things?

e: apparently daggers are awful for everything and only giant maces and swords are worthwhile.

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 15, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

X Factor posted:

Yeah, since Autonomy has been nerfed it's not really better than just using 3 high level pawns anymore. There are some cases with bosses that kill your pawns that would make it better(Death, Daimon) but Ur-dragon isn't one of them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

teknetik posted:

Ur-Dragon fight in Hard mode isn't even fun. Blast arrow spam is probably cheating, but having to scour his body for weak spots is annoying as hell. Killed him on my first try (time ran out once) at level 72, but yea. No fun. I popped a veteran's peripat before the final blow and did get a nice chunk of XP though :D

That being said, where's a good spot to farm with Banker's Peripat? I can do the run from the healing spring in Devilfire grove to the rest camp and get about ~220K gold (killing the Chimera/Drake/Cyclops on the way).

You don't specifically have to go for the big red weak points. Any scaly, non-undead bit will do. Just stab once to make sure you get purple blood out of it, then go to town. It gets really easy when you figure out where all of the sections are. I like to save the foot/lower leg ones to wail on from the ground when I run out of stamina, and jump up on the head/tail after I've knocked him down. You can't climb to the wing tip spots though, so gently caress you, warriors and fighters.

Chard posted:

e: apparently daggers are awful for everything and only giant maces and swords are worthwhile.

Whaaaat? Daggers are probably the best melee weapon. There's a reason assassin is one of the most popular classes, and it's not because of their incredible sword and board abilities.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Chard posted:

Ugh gently caress Hellhounds. Nothing should be able to knock me down, drag me away, and then instantly knock me down again once I escape while at the same time wiping the rest of my party. Five of those things are more threatening than any other enemy in the entire game. How the HELL are you supposed to clear that chamber that has a wight, two Chimeras, and infinity of those things?

Thousand Kisses begs to differ with you mister, I've dropped Daimon in less than a minute with it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vargs posted:

Whaaaat? Daggers are probably the best melee weapon. There's a reason assassin is one of the most popular classes, and it's not because of their incredible sword and board abilities.

Strider actually, haven't transitioned to assassin yet. I really like the way daggers move, and double-jumping and rolling are very nice, but hammering square forever just isn't as much fun as a few well-positioned strikes, plus the Bloody Thistle I found utterly outclasses everything else I can do in terms of raw damage.

Judge Tesla posted:

Thousand Kisses begs to differ with you mister, I've dropped Daimon in less than a minute with it.

I don't even know who that is :downs: I got as far as the Midnight Helix, saw that skyscraper of a monster and just said "nope" and left for the time being. Currently level 58 and probably going to give it another whack this weekend.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's a gorecyclops, he won't attack you unless you attack him first.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:cmon: you think I can suffer an abomination like that to live??!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

RatHat posted:

That's a gorecyclops, he won't attack you unless you attack him first.

I actually attacked him for like 5 minutes with him not breaking free before I figured that I was too low level to even do enough damage to make him come get me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chard posted:

:cmon: you think I can suffer an abomination like that to live??!

Good luck with that, they're one of the strongest enemies in the first BBI runthrough. Even more so with certain classes.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
Not if you're a magic archer, sixfold bolt all day :getin:

E:Why can't I find any good MA gear? :cry:

Cakeequals fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 16, 2013

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Good luck with that, they're one of the strongest enemies in the first BBI runthrough. Even more so with certain classes.

Yeah I gave it half a dozen tries and almost got him once, then I gave up and absolutely murdered the poo poo out of that giant Beholder. That was a fun fight! That's probably my favorite enemy type that I've encountered so far.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Is it better to do all the post game stuff or the BBI first?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow.... holy poo poo, 2nd stratum is not loving around. Get all my pawns one-shot by LITERALLY DEATH :gonk: and then I get to choose between a minotaur (?) I can barely damage and saurians that I can't even fight without taking massive fire damage, and if I run past them it's an entire room full of pawns that completely wreck my poo poo. This... isn't fun. At all. Am I going the wrong way or something, or is it like the first visit to the Everfall and there really is no way to win? This was a massive jump in difficulty after killing that Eye.

e: Also what am I supposed to be doing here? I don't seem to have a quest but these purple rings keep appearing on my map. Can I assume this will be explained at some later point or did I already miss it?

Chard fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 16, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chard posted:

Wow.... holy poo poo, 2nd stratum is not loving around. Get all my pawns one-shot by LITERALLY DEATH :gonk: and then I get to choose between a minotaur (?) I can barely damage and saurians that I can't even fight without taking massive fire damage, and if I run past them it's an entire room full of pawns that completely wreck my poo poo. This... isn't fun. At all. Am I going the wrong way or something, or is it like the first visit to the Everfall and there really is no way to win? This was a massive jump in difficulty after killing that Eye.

e: Also what am I supposed to be doing here? I don't seem to have a quest but these purple rings keep appearing on my map. Can I assume this will be explained at some later point or did I already miss it?

Those are just markers showing you where to go next.

What level are you? Past the first stratum BBI will start wrecking your poo poo if you aren't a pretty high level and have good equipment. You'll want to come very prepared, especially for the occasional corpse attracted enemies. Buy a bunch of stat boosting items off of Forunival, bring blast arrows, etc.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
As for what you're supposed to be doing? Just exploring and killing hard poo poo. Imagine Gary Gygax played Ghosts n Goblins and then decided to make a PS3 game and you have an idea of what you're supposed to be doing in BBI. :getin:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chard posted:

The lower your level, the more you should consider BBI less a dungeon and more a smash-and-grab raid. Go in, try to get as many cursed items as you can, then get the gently caress out and enjoy your much stronger gear.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR
Where should I go if I want to get specifically Bitterblack Armor lvl 2? I really want to get a Tormentor's Mask cause it looks super rad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think I'm about level 60 or so right now. I'll just ask then, if I want to be able to run BBI like a standard dungeon, i.e. explore every corner and slay every foe, what is a good level to be at? At this point I'm thinking of just going to NG+ and doing the main story again before attempting anything past the first stratum. Related question, do enemies get an XP boost in NG+ (ala Dark Souls) or is it literally just starting over and doing that would actually slow down my progress?\

I guess I just feel like the Everfall chambers are mostly too easy now and BBI level 2 is too hard. Where should I go?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Chard posted:

I think I'm about level 60 or so right now. I'll just ask then, if I want to be able to run BBI like a standard dungeon, i.e. explore every corner and slay every foe, what is a good level to be at? At this point I'm thinking of just going to NG+ and doing the main story again before attempting anything past the first stratum. Related question, do enemies get an XP boost in NG+ (ala Dark Souls) or is it literally just starting over and doing that would actually slow down my progress?\

I guess I just feel like the Everfall chambers are mostly too easy now and BBI level 2 is too hard. Where should I go?

If you can clear the Everfall easily you should move on to BBI. New Game+ just resets everything (including BBI).

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR
So there's a new (free) DLC out called Crucible of the Lost. According to the description, it either changes existing battles in Bitterblack or adds new ones, it's hard to tell. Also it adds some things to Barroch's shop.

E: Seems the changes to Barroch's shop are the additions of a few pieces of armor that were originally only able to be gotten from lv. 1 and 2 cursed stuff.

Cakeequals fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 17, 2013

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
What's the fastest way to get dollar post game? Farming the Ur Dragon and selling all his poo poo is nice but still takes me like 25-30 minutes each time.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Defiant Sally posted:

What's the fastest way to get dollar post game? Farming the Ur Dragon and selling all his poo poo is nice but still takes me like 25-30 minutes each time.

Level 2 BBI gear sells for good coin, you can try your luck forging unenhanced items with cursed dragons too.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cakeequals posted:

So there's a new (free) DLC out called Crucible of the Lost. According to the description, it either changes existing battles in Bitterblack or adds new ones, it's hard to tell. Also it adds some things to Barroch's shop.

E: Seems the changes to Barroch's shop are the additions of a few pieces of armor that were originally only able to be gotten from lv. 1 and 2 cursed stuff.

It adds an item, Fiend-luring Incense your storage in the Special Items tab. It says to take it to the Rotunda of Dread or the Black Abbey ~if you dare~.

E: Checked them out.
Rotunda of Dread has
2 x Condemned Gorecyclops (Already pissed off)
4 x Corrupted Pawn Sorcs

Black Abbey has
5 x Garms
2 x Hellhounds
2 x Wargs

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 18, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Gildiss posted:

It adds an item, Fiend-luring Incense your storage in the Special Items tab. It says to take it to the Rotunda of Dread or the Black Abbey ~if you dare~.

If you dare? Oh dear. Incoming like 12 Daimons or something.

...Wait, just take a Ranger with Blast Arrows. :colbert:

I'm quite curious onto what they're going to do to you there.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR

Gildiss posted:

E: Checked them out.
Rotunda of Dread has
2 x Condemned Gorecyclops (Already pissed off)
4 x Corrupted Pawn Sorcs

Black Abbey has
5 x Garms
2 x Hellhounds
2 x Wargs

There may be multiple formations then, cause when I went to the Rotunda of Dread, I got:
3 x Elder Ogre
3 x Eliminator
Some Sirens

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
I can't download the DLC... Has anyone gotten it in Europe on the 360, or is it not available here yet? I noticed I can't take photos either...

Bonus content:

ChaoticGood fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/18/deep-down-has-nothing-to-do-with-dragons-dogma-still-early-in-development/

Deep Down not an actual sequel to Dragon's Dogma. Also the first I've heard of some f2p Dogma game on the Vita. Apparently it's just some mobile 2d game on the Vita so I have no idea what they're doing with the IP now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

My local game shop goofed and had DA marked at the same price as the original. Restarted my old game and realised I have no loving clue where I'm going or what I'm doing. Is it worth restarting my game or should I just plod on until something happens? I'm pretty sure I'm underequipped as all hell, or that I'm missing something. Last thing I remember doing was the Hydra quest, then clearing out the goblin fortress and being very frustrated by the treasure chests I couldn't get to.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

My local game shop goofed and had DA marked at the same price as the original. Restarted my old game and realised I have no loving clue where I'm going or what I'm doing. Is it worth restarting my game or should I just plod on until something happens? I'm pretty sure I'm underequipped as all hell, or that I'm missing something. Last thing I remember doing was the Hydra quest, then clearing out the goblin fortress and being very frustrated by the treasure chests I couldn't get to.

You can see the quests in the menu. If you select one from there it'll show up on the map.

Or you could change the difficulty to Hard from the Options menu, which starts the game from the beginning, but you keep all your stuff and levels. You can choose 'retry on normal' when you die to turn the difficulty back down.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It's actually not that bad an idea to play in hard mode for a while. You level up faster and even standard monsters can drop loads of gold.

The downside is that gold is more or less required for your survival, since you take a load more damage and use a lot more stamina, so purchasing or upgrading new items is essential.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I want to keep killing Wyverns at Windbluff/Bluemoon but they don't seem to respawn. I've slept a bunch of days in Gran Soren and I've been doing Everfall chambers, do they just not respawn or is there some other flag I need to trip somehow? Gotta get that third Tear. ok it just takes like 20 days, whatever.

Also has anyone else been getting huge framerate drops since the new DLC? It can get down to like single digits, pretty annoying.

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've looked in the PSN for that DLC and couldn't find it, there's just those ring packs. Did it come included with the patch?

• Locked thread