Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Well poo poo. Purchasing credits is simple. And $5 for 750 isn't bad at all. And now I have 16 slot bags and a pretty dress. :sigh: This Rift Store interface is great in general, letting you buy all sorts of things straight from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Where does one get their hands on potions better than the level 25 vendor ones?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Magus42 posted:

Where does one get their hands on potions better than the level 25 vendor ones?

From apothecaries.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Rift is still a great game, FYI.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I could use a guild invite on "Fabbio" the bow guy.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I haven't played Rift in almost 2 years, but I'm thinking of trying the F2P. Do you think my char will still be there? He's got an HK relic staff, is that still relevant gear? Can you earn credits by doing free things in game? I object to paying for in game advantages. Will that cripple me? or is it just fluff?

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 17, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
My ancient character was still there when I logged in, no idea if your staff is still worthwhile. You can get credits in game by buying REX (like PLEX in Eve Online) from the auction house, last I looked it was going for about 1000 platinum for 2500 credits and some loyalty. I just started so I have no idea how much or how little 1000 platinum is.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

The raid vendor next to the expert gear vendor in TB. Cheapest thing is 90 stones

Around 4k stones now.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

headcase posted:

I haven't played Rift in almost 2 years, but I'm thinking of trying the F2P. Do you think my char will still be there? He's got an HK relic staff, is that still relevant gear? Can you earn credits by doing free things in game? I object to paying for in game advantages will that cripple me or is it just fluff?

My launch characters were still there, including my level 1 name placeholders on a few servers, so yes, you'll be there :)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

headcase posted:

I haven't played Rift in almost 2 years, but I'm thinking of trying the F2P. Do you think my char will still be there? He's got an HK relic staff, is that still relevant gear? Can you earn credits by doing free things in game? I object to paying for in game advantages. Will that cripple me? or is it just fluff?

At level 60 it won't be relevant but you can transmute its cosmetics on another staff. Having played before F2P you'll get some credits for past subscriptions and you can buy credits with plat. You can by expert dungeon gear and the highest speed mount, that's about the closest to "advantage", so you can play this game completely without touching the cash shop. The cash shop makes life "easier" by giving an alternative way to buy things.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

KaneTW posted:

Around 4k stones now.

Note that these are equivalent after the currency change, they didn't just randomly bump up the prices on everything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

headcase posted:

You can probably hang on to your staff for a few levels. Not paying for stuff should be fine, you'll just advance the same way folks did before F2P came along. F2P means that kids today can just spend some cash to get ready to raid and can get xp/notoriety more quickly. You'll just have to run a few more experts. The only things that require cash (or REX) are certain pets, mounts, outfits, and potions that let you get stuff more quickly, but no cash exclusives that let you do more damage or anything.

KaneTW posted:

Around 4k stones now.
I'm still not used to even getting IS 30 at a time.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
Just a heads up:

The Storm Legion prelude quests (the quest chain that starts with the letter that sends you to a shipwreck and continues at Iron Pine Peak) have no minimum level and not much combat so you can do them as soon as you can reach Iron Pine Peak. But even though the game never tells you this, if you do them after level 50 you get huge amounts of bonus planar attunement xp. You get 4-5 levels of planar attunement from every single quest in the chain. If you do them before 50 like me you get jack poo poo.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There are many quests in SL that give a ton of PA XP; it's one of a few reasons I wouldn't encourage SL pre-50.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vafthrudnir posted:

Just a heads up:

The Storm Legion prelude quests (the quest chain that starts with the letter that sends you to a shipwreck and continues at Iron Pine Peak) have no minimum level and not much combat so you can do them as soon as you can reach Iron Pine Peak. But even though the game never tells you this, if you do them after level 50 you get huge amounts of bonus planar attunement xp. You get 4-5 levels of planar attunement from every single quest in the chain. If you do them before 50 like me you get jack poo poo.

Well that is unfortunate. I had planned to start SL at 48 just because of how quickly the levels are supposed to fly. Are attunement levels that difficult to get later on, or is everyone pretty much maxed out by 60 anyway? If so I don't mind losing a few early in exchange for not spending 3 hours going from 49-50.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
Can Freno get an invite please

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

Well that is unfortunate. I had planned to start SL at 48 just because of how quickly the levels are supposed to fly. Are attunement levels that difficult to get later on, or is everyone pretty much maxed out by 60 anyway? If so I don't mind losing a few early in exchange for not spending 3 hours going from 49-50.

No, you won't even be close to maxed out on PA by 60, but you do get levels frequently.

I don't know about starting SL at 48 - the difficulty jump is huge until you get the new 50 gear from the introduction quests, but I guess it's worth a try.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You race pretty quickly through 48-50, and it's a lot easier than trying to fart around back in the base game, honestly. The only caveat is that you should probably do it with some sort of healing secondary (e.g., Chloro, Sentinel, Paladin, or Bard).

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

I've been playing since launch and while I'm no poopsocker, I have a healthy /played. I'm nowhere near maxed on Planar Attunement. But leveling PA slows down the more levels you have. Take the "free" levels while you can and just IA or PVP to 50.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Some mild frustration upon hitting SL with my Cleric built as inq/jus/sha made me look at other options, which lead me to Defiler. Holy hell this is fun. Drop the little aggro magnet, spam DoTs and occasionally insta heal your magnet buddy for pretty much all his hp while mobs explode around it. I was having serious trouble in 1v2 fights against NPCs before, but the Defiler can pull 5 at a time (melee, ranged hurt!) with no problems and no downtime.

Single target damage requiring you to maintain 5 or 6 debuffs is a little frustrating until you get used to it - I had pretty much been mashing 1 over and over before.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Eltoasto posted:

We've tossed the idea around in officer chat. The queues don't seem to be a problem anymore but the server is definitely crowded. On one hand, we have faeblight on our cluster for awesome cross shard groups. On the other hand, we have seastone on the cluster for terrible pvp. Making it worse is that the new shard on the other cluster is pvp, so that is right out. It sounded like Generally Good was debating what to do. Once they have decided, then we can react (since one of the raid's main tanks is on faeblight). I am hoping that they decide to go to Hailol.

There is no sentimental regard for derpwood though. So don't worry folks, transfers in rift are free and weekly. If the guild moves, you would be prompted to move with it or not when you log in, and it's all done for you.

Any word on this yet, or a way we can persuade them to go to Hailol at least?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Bonapartisan posted:

Any word on this yet, or a way we can persuade them to go to Hailol at least?

They are their own brand of special, let them make a decision then we'll react.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wilekat posted:

Some mild frustration upon hitting SL with my Cleric built as inq/jus/sha made me look at other options, which lead me to Defiler. Holy hell this is fun. Drop the little aggro magnet, spam DoTs and occasionally insta heal your magnet buddy for pretty much all his hp while mobs explode around it. I was having serious trouble in 1v2 fights against NPCs before, but the Defiler can pull 5 at a time (melee, ranged hurt!) with no problems and no downtime.

Single target damage requiring you to maintain 5 or 6 debuffs is a little frustrating until you get used to it - I had pretty much been mashing 1 over and over before.

I feel like a little gardener, tending to my garden of doomed mobs. Bound fate 6-7 to my beacon while also healing the totem (and myself! AND shielding myself and the totem!) then just tab -> tyranny until nothing is left.

Changing bound fate to instant has been wonderful. Makes tanking on my low level cleric much easier.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

lsp posted:

That is the only part of warlock that is :smith: .. on a lot of progression, and a few other fights that have quick target burning, you don't get to see warlock at its full potential. If you can get a fight where you can at least stay on the main target most of the time and it goes sub 50% the damage takes off, its fun.

Yeah, true :(

On the other hand, there's a lot of fights where the "god I hope this ends soon" phases happen AFTER that 50% line, so give and take. I just really hate pyro, and trying to juggle all the cooldowns makes fights basically no fun if you're trying to optimize DPS and still avoid loving mechanics.

I haven't really played since like february though, so I might be behind on stuff. Is there an alternative to pyro/harb with it's terrible rotation and juggling for competitive raid dps? I read a few guides that all posted numbers similar to that set up with warlock, which I really enjoy playing......although with the caveat that, yeah, you have to actually kill the thing and have enough time for dots to cook.

I'm finding mixed reports on 61 harb these days for reliable DPS. Is it still quite good, or has something been nerfed in the past few months that makes it less desirable?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm finding mixed reports on 61 harb these days for reliable DPS. Is it still quite good, or has something been nerfed in the past few months that makes it less desirable?

I think you can still do fairly good DPS as 61 harb, but Warlock/Pyro are better in pretty much every way.

I've found Pyro to be pretty easy if you have Karuul setup and don't try to follow a "rotation", just keep the CDs up and try to space your fireball casts out for the free double-cast. It can be a pain if you are learning a fight, but it's not too bad after you get the mechanics.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah, true :(

On the other hand, there's a lot of fights where the "god I hope this ends soon" phases happen AFTER that 50% line, so give and take. I just really hate pyro, and trying to juggle all the cooldowns makes fights basically no fun if you're trying to optimize DPS and still avoid loving mechanics.

There's also the part where being really good at pyro requires constantly bunny hopping backwards.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Hello, fellow Goons! My wife and I have decided to give this game a go now that it's F2P and we've got some time on our hands, I have a couple of questions that hopefully you can help me out with.

1. Is it possible to play on multiple servers with a free account? My wife hates PvP, and I noticed that the Goon guild is on a PvE server, but personally I love open world pvp. If I have to choose, I'd rather play with goons, but is it possible to have characters on different servers?

2. I love tanking in MMOs, are there any classes that are particularly better at tanking than others? I used to raid as a Prot Pally in WoW, and would likely prefer a playstyle similar to that if possible, but don't want to get to high levels and have people tell me that (x) class is much better at tanking than (y).

Thanks in advance for any help, and hopefully I'll see you soon in game :)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gejimayu posted:

Hello, fellow Goons! My wife and I have decided to give this game a go now that it's F2P and we've got some time on our hands, I have a couple of questions that hopefully you can help me out with.

1. Is it possible to play on multiple servers with a free account? My wife hates PvP, and I noticed that the Goon guild is on a PvE server, but personally I love open world pvp. If I have to choose, I'd rather play with goons, but is it possible to have characters on different servers?

2. I love tanking in MMOs, are there any classes that are particularly better at tanking than others? I used to raid as a Prot Pally in WoW, and would likely prefer a playstyle similar to that if possible, but don't want to get to high levels and have people tell me that (x) class is much better at tanking than (y).

Thanks in advance for any help, and hopefully I'll see you soon in game :)

Cleric tanks are awesome, and if they're not the best at end game (couldn't tell ya) they're at least equally capable AND the most fun. If you're overgeared, you don't even need a healer.

Plus if you don't like tanking as a cleric, they're the most versatile healers and decent enough dps to get those spots in raids.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Now that my mage is 60, been playing my rogue today. Tactician(Solo, IAs) and Rifstalker(Dungeons) are amazing so far.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Gejimayu posted:

You can have characters on different servers. In fact, if you pick servers on the same cluster, you could theoretically group up with her on a pve server. Transfers are free and weekly, the only limit is that sometimes servers are locked due to population. I am not sure how open world pvp people put up with it in this game. This game involves a TON of open world involvement for stuff, it's not like doing dungeon queues and then going out into the world for pvp. Zone events turn into pvp zergs and you better hope your side wins.

quote:

The three tank classes can all do it very well. Any differences are very minute and only cared about by the spergiest raiders. Our raids have used tanks of all three without issue. They have differences in style, but not effectiveness. You may be best off choosing what class you would like to pvp as most, and tanking with it.

madstrike posted:

Now that my mage is 60, been playing my rogue today. Tactician(Solo, IAs) and Rifstalker(Dungeons) are amazing so far.

Which Tact build are you using? Personally I love nb/rs for open world stuff.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
Can you invite Dolphin please

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Which Tact build are you using? Personally I love nb/rs for open world stuff.

I do have a Nightblade spec for my 3rd role but, after leveling as Harbinger, i kinda prefer to not melee again, at least for these lower levels.(Only level 23)

My tactician build so far is 7 RS/ 23 Tactician/0 Ranger (for pet). Mostly been taking damage increase talents and stuff for my water-flame-death-throwers.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
In case you weren't on for Volan vs Maintenance frenzy: :siren:New Black Garden and Karthan Ridge modes after the maintenance!:siren:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Notes~

RIFT 2.3 Hot Fix #4 - 6/17 NA @ 3.30PM PT || 6/18 EU @ 1AM GMT

== FEATURES ==

* 2 new Warfront modes have been added!

DOMINATION: THE BLACK GARDEN
* Available to players between level 10 and level 60.
* Fight for the control of The Black Garden by dominating the 2 control points.

DOMINATION: KARTHAN RIDGE
* Available to players between level 50 and level 60.
* Take Karthan Ridge by storm with this 5 control point variant.
* Capture Points on your side of the map give 3 points.
* Capture points on the enemy’s side of the map give 5 – high risk, high reward!

GENERAL
* Character Transfers: We now use the correct maximum number of characters per shard, including any extra character slots you may have purchased.
* PVP: The wine in Hailol’s fountains has been replaced on PVP shards with the blood of your enemies. The hubs have had the grace of the gods and our coding lifted from them: they are no longer safe zones.
* Your hidden dimension slots are back!

ZONES
* Adjusted damage on a number of Hunt Rift, Stronghold, and Dendrome Zone Event bosses, including Commander Jorina, Orgathor, Ikaras, and Tuveran.
* Great Hunt rifts from ranks IV and V will now have more interesting invasions.
* Fixed an issue that caused player corpse markers to be misplaced after a stronghold.
* The invasion commander Architect Diviner now snares instead of stuns.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

In case you weren't on for Volan vs Maintenance frenzy: :siren:New Black Garden and Karthan Ridge modes after the maintenance!:siren:

Like, completely brand new? The collect-the-orbs version of Black Garden is about a billion times better than murderball, although it's still kind of dull.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Just a quick question: back when Rift released and I was playing, I played some variant of bard(couldn't tell you the exact spec), and seem to have fond memories. Are bards still considered useful? I'm coming from a place of complete ignorance on the current environment, so apologies in advance.

I don't necessarily care about min/max'ing anything; as long as they're fun and not completely without some sort of viable role, I think I'll be alright.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

FakePoet posted:

Just a quick question: back when Rift released and I was playing, I played some variant of bard(couldn't tell you the exact spec), and seem to have fond memories. Are bards still considered useful? I'm coming from a place of complete ignorance on the current environment, so apologies in advance.

I don't necessarily care about min/max'ing anything; as long as they're fun and not completely without some sort of viable role, I think I'll be alright.

Bards have always been useful for raids, and now can pair with tactician (tactbard) that makes a very nice healbuff spec that is used sometimes in dungeons. They gave it more damage dealing options and I think some people actually level as bard.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So what is the best way to go about getting SL and the souls it allows? Do I just buy the upgrade through their store or what?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"The shard you last played is currently locked"? Is this a new queue mechanism or is the game down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

cheese posted:

So what is the best way to go about getting SL and the souls it allows? Do I just buy the upgrade through their store or what?

Buying a SL expansion just gives the souls, so yeah just buy it in game. Owning the original box gives you the extra character and bag slots.

• Locked thread