Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dani on Orange 1 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

Dani Nicole on Satin 1 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Love this. Two things: what is a "90 degree reflector" and also, how did you get the background looking pinkish with 3 CTO, or is my monitor off?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Catchlights are way too big in the glasses and the background is sloppy. Light on her is spot on though.

Recalibrated my monitor and went back and redid all of my processing. Really happy with these from yesterday (the theme was apparently beards);

Scott by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Liv by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Boot by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 15, 2013

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
This was as we wrapped on the last shoot I posted, in the afterglow of the smoke machine.

after by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 15, 2013

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Subyng posted:

Love this. Two things: what is a "90 degree reflector" and also, how did you get the background looking pinkish with 3 CTO, or is my monitor off?

The 90 degree reflector is just the basic silver thing that comes with all PCB lights, they also have 2-4 other reflectors with different degrees of 'throw' to them. I need to experiment some more, but somehow the hotspot of the light is white, and gradually gets more orange radiating outward. In the original only the very corners are orangeish, I had to put in 2 gradients for saturation and burning 2 stops. I think I had the background light too bright, I should have brought it down by a stop or two to get everything evenly saturated.

Bottom Liner posted:

Catchlights are way too big in the glasses and the background is sloppy. Light on her is spot on though.

Recalibrated my monitor and went back and redid all of my processing. Really happy with these from yesterday (the theme was apparently beards);

I agree, I forgot the clamps for the bottom of the background cloth, didn't realize it until I was processing. For the first iteration, I was using a beauty dish, but I did not like how the catchlights came out with it. Personally, I dig huge catchlights in sunglasses.

thetzar posted:

This was as we wrapped on the last shoot I posted, in the afterglow of the smoke machine.

That is awesome.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Personally, I dig huge catchlights in sunglasses.

Hell yeah.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Duuuuuuump.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Indeed.

146/366 - So Gangsta by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
A few more with another friend.

IMG_8476-Edit by Opals25, on Flickr

IMG_8434-Edit by Opals25, on Flickr

IMG_8383 by Opals25, on Flickr

Focus is a little soft on the last one, probably should have dropped the aperture another stop, the 1.8 was probably a little too wide.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

thetzar posted:

Bit late to the party, but this and the others are really interesting. Good idea and it must've been ace to have a chance to play around in a set like that. Can I ask, what was your approach to the lighting? What did you use and did you balance ambient with flash or just use flash to light the scenes?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Aperture and sharpness are not your problems, harsh lighting and unflattering angles and light are.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Opals25 posted:

A few more with another friend.

I think with portraiture you really have to think less of how you feel about the shot as a photographer and more about how your subject feels about the shot. Like you may look at a shot and think "I like the composition and the color" and stuff, but the most important thing is almost always how the person looks. Basically my rule is "if this were me, would I feel like this shot either accentuated my physical attractiveness or displayed my personality in some meaningful way?" (or is it hilarious)

I think looking at the photos you've taken, the answer to all of them should be no. First, everybody either hates their nose or is ambivalent to it. Either way, it's not something you ever want to draw attention to, and having it lit by the sun with the rest of her face in shadow makes it the primary focus of her face. Always make the eyes the focus. There are exceptions obviously, but not really, and especially not when you're just getting your feet wet in a photography style. Additionally her arms are posed really awkwardly and her chin is pulled into her neck for some reason (likely the awkward pose) giving her a double chin.

On the second shot, again with the nose. With few exceptions, you almost never want to shoot from below somebody. Nobody wants a shot up their nose. The pose is also awkward again. Why is her chin in her shoulder? Why is she doing that with her hands?

The third one is the closest to a decent portrait but the hotspot on top of her head takes away all of the attention that should be on her face and she's got a bit of a hunched posture that she's probably not going to like.

Keep practicing. Next time think more about why you're taking each shot.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Just to reinforce the above: don't ever take a picture of a woman from a low angle unless you have a darn good reason.

Also, put some powder on her and figure out your lighting. You're shooting her broad side here which is making her face look wider. Were these shot available light or were you setting stuff up?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
She says she doesn't like how her chin looks in this, but I am not really seeing any problems. Am I blind or is she just being picky about how her face looks. Does her mouth look out of place due to the angle? I guess I can see that, but I don't know if I'm just trying to see something that isn't there.

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

RangerScum posted:

She says she doesn't like how her chin looks in this, but I am not really seeing any problems. Am I blind or is she just being picky about how her face looks. Does her mouth look out of place due to the angle? I guess I can see that, but I don't know if I'm just trying to see something that isn't there.

I think you were way to close to her for this shot.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The eyeliner doesn't really play well with the colors of the image, either, but yeah... the shot really accentuates her teeth and chin. I almost wonder if a small amount of keystone shift in PS/LR5 would help help.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gazmachine posted:

Bit late to the party, but this and the others are really interesting. Good idea and it must've been ace to have a chance to play around in a set like that. Can I ask, what was your approach to the lighting? What did you use and did you balance ambient with flash or just use flash to light the scenes?

Thank you! The shot you quoted was all ambient light, but the shoot proper was all lit with strobes. I had two giant softboxes and a couple of bare heads for spots, either in rear corners or above.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

RangerScum posted:

She's also tilting her head back, which brings get chin closer to the camera and accentuates it. Next time ask her to drop her chin which will bring her eyes closer to the camera instead.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Use a longer lens for portraits, longer focal lengths don't distort faces as much.

Example I snagged from petapixel's video on this here: http://petapixel.com/2012/08/12/how-focal-length-affects-your-subjects-weight-in-portraits/

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think you were way to close to her for this shot.

bisticles posted:

The eyeliner doesn't really play well with the colors of the image, either, but yeah... the shot really accentuates her teeth and chin. I almost wonder if a small amount of keystone shift in PS/LR5 would help help.

CarrotFlowers posted:

She's also tilting her head back, which brings get chin closer to the camera and accentuates it. Next time ask her to drop her chin which will bring her eyes closer to the camera instead.

echobucket posted:

Use a longer lens for portraits, longer focal lengths don't distort faces as much.

Example I snagged from petapixel's video on this here: http://petapixel.com/2012/08/12/how-focal-length-affects-your-subjects-weight-in-portraits/

It was just a snapshot I took yesterday while walking around and checking out a neighborhood so hopefully that explains an overall lack of attention to makeup or lens selections, etc. I just couldn't see anything wrong with the chin and wanted some more eyes to look at it. But thank you for your general advice.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

From a ladies point of view it just kind of looks like she has a bit of a weak chin and is probably very self conscious about it. Some people get surgery to correct that kind of thing, it's a pretty common worry. But I think it looks fine :)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

echobucket posted:

It's subject distance which affects distortion in this case, not focal length.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Subyng posted:

It's subject distance which affects distortion in this case, not focal length.

If the aim is to keep the subject occupying most of the frame, those two are very much related.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Chitin posted:

Just to reinforce the above: don't ever take a picture of a woman from a low angle unless you have a darn good reason.

Also, put some powder on her and figure out your lighting. You're shooting her broad side here which is making her face look wider. Were these shot available light or were you setting stuff up?

All just sunlight on a bright day, I don't have any lighting equipment. I definitely see what you both mean though; I was definitely thinking more about composition as I went through the shots. I'm trying to figure out how to best play lighting in an image and better posing, it's not something I've had a lot of exposure too at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Opals25 posted:

All just sunlight on a bright day, I don't have any lighting equipment. I definitely see what you both mean though; I was definitely thinking more about composition as I went through the shots. I'm trying to figure out how to best play lighting in an image and better posing, it's not something I've had a lot of exposure too at all.

Just remember everyone started somewhere and not to get discouraged. As long as you get a little better each time you take your camera out nothing you shoot is a waste.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Opals25 posted:

Time of day is a huge deal here. When one sets up portrait lighting, in general the key light will be just slightly above the eyeline of the subject. In terms of the sun, that means you're shooting in roughly the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset. There are other factors at play but generally the closer you get to those times the better. The absolute worst time to shoot is at noon. Everyone gets ghost eyes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

If the aim is to keep the subject occupying most of the frame, those two are very much related.

True, but I figure it's better to say subject distance rather than focal length, since distortion of that kind is a direct consequence of subject distance. Focal length contributes only indirectly. It reduces the chance for misunderstanding that way (of which there is a lot of on the internet).

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Subyng posted:

True, but I figure it's better to say subject distance rather than focal length, since distortion of that kind is a direct consequence of subject distance. Focal length contributes only indirectly. It reduces the chance for misunderstanding that way (of which there is a lot of on the internet).

I've been shooting for five years and have a degree in film and I only just kind of learnt this. That may say something about Australian unis but yeah it's a widespread misconception.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The best example I saw was in Light: Science and Magic, where they took a photo of the same subject from the same distance with a wide and a tele, then cropped the wide shot to match the tele. They looked exactly the same.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

David Pratt posted:

The best example I saw was in Light: Science and Magic, where they took a photo of the same subject from the same distance with a wide and a tele, then cropped the wide shot to match the tele. They looked exactly the same.

I think you're mis-remembering. DOF isn't a property of distance, it's the property of the magnification of the subject on the focal place.
If someone or something is shot at 20 feet with a 28mm and a 200mm at the same aperture, the DOF in both of those shots will be hugely different. However, if the subject was moved closer in to the 28mm so that the subject occupied the same amount of frame as the 200mm shot, THEN the DOF would be identical.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I think you're mis-remembering. DOF isn't a property of distance, it's the property of the magnification of the subject on the focal place.
If someone or something is shot at 20 feet with a 28mm and a 200mm at the same aperture, the DOF in both of those shots will be hugely different. However, if the subject was moved closer in to the 28mm so that the subject occupied the same amount of frame as the 200mm shot, THEN the DOF would be identical.

DOF isn't what's being discussed though?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Chitin posted:

DOF isn't what's being discussed though?

:sigh: I have no explanation for how I did that. I'm going to go with "not enough sleep".

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

My tattooist has asked me to take a couple of photos for their website, to link to their artist pages. Went and had a little go after my appointment today and came out with these, any constructive criticism to offer?

CSC_0025 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0008 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

The different tones of sepia were intentional, the third artist wasn't in today so I'm going back tomorrow, and hers will be in a slightly different shade again.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

McMadCow posted:

:sigh: I have no explanation for how I did that. I'm going to go with "not enough sleep".

In fairness, that was really good info that I didn't have before. I knew that DOF became greater both with more magnification and with closer distance but I didn't know much about the relationship between the two. So at least one person learned something anyway! Yay!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

VolumeOverTalent posted:

{tatt-guns}
The different tones of sepia were intentional, the third artist wasn't in today so I'm going back tomorrow, and hers will be in a slightly different shade again.
Any reason why you went sepia..? I link sepia with oldey-worldey photos, I'd like to see them B&W processed with a healthy slice more contrast/vibrance and maybe three light selenium blue tones if you still want to differentiate the pics.

If you like B&W stuff, you should buy the NIK Collection with Silver EFX Pro 2; it's fairly cheap and really good for monochrome/toning.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Any reason why you went sepia..? I link sepia with oldey-worldey photos, I'd like to see them B&W processed with a healthy slice more contrast/vibrance and maybe three light selenium blue tones if you still want to differentiate the pics.

If you like B&W stuff, you should buy the NIK Collection with Silver EFX Pro 2; it's fairly cheap and really good for monochrome/toning.

He suggested the idea of sepia, he had some photos to show me as kind of inspiration and they were in the same sort of style. I'll certainly give that a go though, see how it looks.

DSC_0024 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

VolumeOverTalent fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 19, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

VolumeOverTalent posted:

He suggested the idea of sepia, he had some photos to show me as kind of inspiration and they were in the same sort of style. I'll certainly give that a go though, see how it looks.

DSC_0024 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

I'd like to see more dynamic range in the first pic but that may be a personal preference thing.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Chitin posted:

I'd like to see more dynamic range in the first pic but that may be a personal preference thing.

It looks a little dark overall. I like the composition more than the second though.

Intuition
Oct 9, 2012
So newish to portrait work but here's three of my favorite shots, cause I thought I'd share.

Jessica by vampiressjt, on Flickr

gio in red 3 by vampiressjt, on Flickr

gio in red 1 by vampiressjt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Portraits are still something very new to me. My youngest kids arrived this week on a holiday from Finland, so I thought I'd have a bash. I like these ones, of course because they're my kids, but I have no idea how they might look to an impartial observer.

What, if anything, did I get right. What can I improve upon? Any feedback will be heartily welcomed.

20130619-GH8E2897-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130619-GH8E2881-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130619-GH8E2741-2 by efcso1, on Flickr

Bonus shot: Daddy's little girl has the photo bug too...

20130619-GH8E2939-2 by efcso1, on Flickr