Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
oh ur doing iphone dev. stopped reading there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i'm writing another bad python script for arcgis right now. it's gonna be real bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't like the xml datatype. there may be some highly specific valid uses but it smells bad. like it was probably a convenience thing for people who used to store xml as binary in their db and now its destined for abuse by idiots who cant do data design.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
to xml!

the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

I don't like the xml datatype. there may be some highly specific valid uses but it smells bad. like it was probably a convenience thing for people who used to store xml as binary in their db and now its destined for abuse by idiots who cant do data design.

it's kinda dumb

if you use it right (i.e. querying from it) it's slow as heck and encourages bad design

if you just use it as a place to dump xml files for lookup later, use a filestream

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xml is good for serialization of data in motion and at rest in unstructured stores, but a db is structured so y would u not use that structure?? (the answer is b/c ur a bad programmer)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shaggar posted:

xml is good for serialization of data in motion and at rest in unstructured stores, but a db is structured so y would u not use that structure?? (the answer is b/c ur a bad programmer)
heh there's this terrible gis suite that we're migrating a company from that stores everything in xml

here an example of one feature

code:
	<gml:featureMember>
		<ims:OtherLine>
			<ims:Name>PropLine</ims:Name>
			<ims:Status>EX</ims:Status>
			<ims:color>2</ims:color>
			<ims:style>0</ims:style>
			<ims:uniqid>34da63fb8e</ims:uniqid>
			<ims:lineCollection srsName="">
				<ims:LineMember>
					<gml:LineString>
						<gml:coordinates>744636.509,8500230.751 744654.188,8500197.204 744654.88,8500195.89 744655.732,8500194.273</gml:coordinates>
					</gml:LineString>
				</ims:LineMember>
			</ims:lineCollection>
		</ims:OtherLine>
	</gml:featureMember>
so like one "tile" (a 3000x2000 ft area) will have literally thousands of features, with all the attributes and shape data described in xml like this.

not sure why anyone would think that is a good idea

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

in obj-C is there any particular reason to use your own instance variables and methods instead of just dropping a @property in there? they're not doing anything fancy with the accessors except return some value so im confused why they dont just use @properties.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 17, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zlodo posted:

games aren't buggy because c++, games are buggy because bad project management, lack of formalized development methods, over compressed development schedules or a combination thereof

and when you get lucky to work at a game studio with none of those problems it owns

but given that most bugs found in games happen at a high level (things like broken transitions between states, or errors caused by level layout changes and such) and not specific to the way things are some in c++ you'd have games just as buggy if they were written in a diff language like java or c# or whatever else really

you reminded me of a cool article so I'm posting it

:tipshat:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

then implement something with terrible design. if u can tell that ur doing something bad thats good enough for a babby dev. u get better with practice but u DONT get better from reading a text on UML and making diagrams for a month

WHAT??? son, you better see me after class.

heh, school programming is some seriously misleading stuff. oh well, it has its purpose but it's been a lot of fun to just strike out on my own and try and build stuff in a new language. i know i don't know Good Practices in there but thanks to visual studio and online docs holing my hand i can build little dumb apps in c# and that's pretty neat.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

you reminded me of a cool article so I'm posting it

:tipshat:

CUnit < CDoodad < CFlingy < CThingy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

polpotpi posted:

CUnit < CDoodad < CFlingy < CThingy

code:
class CUnit ... {
    #include "header_1.h"
    #include "header_2.h"
    #include "header_3.h"
    #include "header_4.h" //each of these headers is several hundred lines long
};

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

PleasingFungus posted:

code:
class CUnit ... {
    #include "header_1.h"
    #include "header_2.h"
    #include "header_3.h"
};

gunit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

in obj-C is there any particular reason to use your own instance variables and methods instead of just dropping a @property in there? they're not doing anything fancy with the accessors except return some value so im confused why they dont just use @properties.

Property setters are slower because they also have to do all the KVO stuff and whatnot.

ARC has pretty much eliminated the reason people started using properties for instance variables.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

code:
class CUnit ... {
    #include "header_1.h"
    #include "header_2.h"
    #include "header_3.h"
};

this is exactly the kind of thing where people tend to go "lol c++" because #include whereas the real problem is the awful architecture with everything and the kitchen sink stuffed into some base class
and also from your article the guy reinventing a bad linked list instead of using the stl (which is something you could do in any other language too with equally bad outcome)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zlodo posted:

this is exactly the kind of thing where people tend to go "lol c++" because #include whereas the real problem is the awful architecture with everything and the kitchen sink stuffed into some base class
and also from your article the guy reinventing a bad linked list instead of using the stl (which is something you could do in any other language too with equally bad outcome)

just relax; every language is blamed for the sins of its worst users

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

prefect posted:

true

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

prefect posted:

qft

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Zlodo posted:

i thought this was the one where they implemented intrusive linked lists but nopeeee

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

NOTinuyasha posted:

would you say the time & money you spent learning "academia stuff" was worth it at all

Yeah probably. I learn a lot of nonsense but at the same time I might have been overwhelmed trying to learn it all myself at 18

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Papes posted:

I might have been overwhelmed trying to learn it all myself at 18

smdh if you werent programming compilers and scripting language interpreters at 18 just smdh

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ok so i don't know much SQL but i was just given a big file full of SQL queries and i get most of it but there's these parts like

code:
COUNT (*) COUNT

and i don't know wtf that is doing. wtf is that doing.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its probably counting

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ah i see.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

dur posted:

ok so i don't know much SQL but i was just given a big file full of SQL queries and i get most of it but there's these parts like

code:
COUNT (*) COUNT

and i don't know wtf that is doing. wtf is that doing.

what database is that against i use ms sql server and oracle and that's greek to me

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

well i figured it out. notepad++ highlights both COUNTs like their sql command things, but the second one is just a text output, like a column header. i changed it to FeatureCount so it's not as confusing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

dur posted:

well i figured it out. notepad++ highlights both COUNTs like their sql command things, but the second one is just a text output, like a column header. i changed it to FeatureCount so it's not as confusing

oh right, so like

select count(1) as count

except coded in a non-obvious way

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am really hating singletons right now. I wish they had never been created.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
right, because that magically would've taught the guy best practices and he would never have stumbled onto "hey i can just cram these in globals!!"

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Wat? I'm just mad because they are an overused god class for loving everything.

And impossible to test automatically.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
singletons are to globals as flow-control exceptions are to GOTO

nice stealth edit

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Didn't mean to ghost edit. I agree with your post. Just frustrated my team sees anything more advanced than a 'systemcontext' singleton as "too complicated."

Edit: I thought this was a safe zone :smith:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

most programmers are assholes. all programmers are terrible. :ssh:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Brain Candy posted:

most engineers are assholes. all programmers are terrible. :ssh:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Brain Candy posted:

most people are assholes. all people are terrible. :ssh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Didn't mean to ghost edit. I agree with your post. Just frustrated my team sees anything more advanced than a 'systemcontext' singleton as "too complicated."

Edit: I thought this was a safe zone :smith:

it's all right, I stealth-edit pretty much every post I make. just thought it was funny that I spotted yours.

everyone is welcome here :glomp:

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
everything is bad actually

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Brain Candy posted:

most programmers are assholes. all programmers are terrible. :ssh:

i'm a terrible programmer, thankfully it's not really a big part of my job, what sometimes astounds me is how terrible most people who get paid to be programmers are at programming.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
why are you surprised have you seen the people they pay to manage them? lol right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait whats wrong with singletons i like them in very specific situations when i don't want random god objects floating in some main class or whatever

• Locked thread