Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think these two images are out of order?

Edit: drat I hate getting top page. Update was at the end of the previous page folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

lotus circle posted:

I think these two images are out of order?

Edit: drat I hate getting top page. Update was at the end of the previous page folks.

Always Something™.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... Our perfect strategy of having no one play the AB game goes down the drain- trying that will just get everyone killed. I guess it would make no sense for Zero to leave a zero-risk solution to the problem.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Aumanor posted:

So... Our perfect strategy of having no one play the AB game goes down the drain- trying that will just get everyone killed. I guess it would make no sense for Zero to leave a zero-risk solution to the problem.

:eng101: Right-o. We're hitting something called the Nash equilibrium. That is, in a situation where there are many choices of action people will tend towards the collection of choices where no-one would be happier making a different choice. In the Prisoner's Dilemma, if both parties choose to ally, one would be happier choosing betray since they get more points. If one chose betray and one chose ally, the one choosing ally would be happier choosing betray since they wouldn't lose points. If both choose betray, neither would be happier choosing ally. Therefore the tendency is toward double betrayal.

The way to get past the Nash equilibrium is to create a contract where you agree to alter the costs so that betrayal is less attractive. Considering the cost here is death, the contract would have to involve death.

So my murder-pact solution still stands - kill anyone who betrays.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Theoretically, both players could open their door, and then only enter one. That is, all three players enter the same AB room.

At that point, the room's occupants would be essentially forced to ally. As the third couldn't choose, but was there watching them.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Added Space posted:

:eng101: Right-o. We're hitting something called the Nash equilibrium. That is, in a situation where there are many choices of action people will tend towards the collection of choices where no-one would be happier making a different choice. In the Prisoner's Dilemma, if both parties choose to ally, one would be happier choosing betray since they get more points.

I'm not so sure about this applies completely to this game- some people (us, apparently Luna and... well... drat.) seem to have geting everyone out of there alive as their goal- ally-ally is a much better outcome for them than a favourable betray-ally as it maximizes the total points gain.

Luna being Zero seems like one of the most likely options right now, at least from the metagame'y point of view, but I think that if anything, that makes her the best possible candidate for pairing up with as often as possible and feeding her points by ally-ally. If she's indeed Zero, she has the least incentive to win of all the participants.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 17, 2013

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
"Oh, you're amazing! I've fallen for you all over again!"

Why, hello there June.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aumanor posted:

I'm not so sure about this applies completely to this game- some people (us, apparently Luna and... well... drat.) seem to have geting everyone out of there alive as their goal- ally-ally is a much better outcome for them than a favourable betray-ally as it maximizes the total points gain.

Luna being Zero seems like one of the most likely options right now, at least from the metagame'y point of view, but I think that if anything, that makes her the best possible candidate for pairing up with as often as possible and feeding her points by ally-ally. If she's indeed Zero, she has the least incentive to win of all the participants.

The thing about these kind of dilemmas is personal goal versus public goal. The personal goal is to escape, the public goal, the goal for the most public good, is for everybody (or most possible) to escape. The dilemma comes from the personal and public goals being in conflict once you add uncertainty and incentives to advance the personal at the cost of the public.

We the players are definitely focused on the public goal, we have the luxury of an external viewpoint with no skin in the game. Though folks other than Luna chose ally, she's such a doormat personality that it's likely she's either focused on the public goal at expense of herself or she's playing an excellent con. Sigma is a puppet on the players' string, but I think he falls into the same category as the other prisoners (from what we've seen): While he would not sabotage the public goal for no reason, and definitely supports the idea, when push comes to shove he'd cover his own rear end if there was any doubt about his opponent. Most people would wind up there, I think, which is where the dilemma arises. Nobody sets out to avoid the public good, but there's a voice of personal advantage and survival that makes it difficult to truly make a choice of trust and altruism. That's what the "best choice versus logical choice" comes down to, "greater good" versus "protect the self."

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Is "color group" supposed to mean those with the same color bracelet, or those who went through the same colored door?

e: I ask because I think the note makes it sound like it's the bracelet, due to the phrase, "If the pair and solo of a color both refuse to vote...," but that still gives the option of both sides of a single AB game to abstain. (i.e. Sigma & Alice could abstain, and Luna could abstain, but then neither Clover nor Phi & Dio could abstain.) Of course, that phrase is different between the image of the note and the dialogue of Zero III, and the group does immediately assume they can't all abstain.

Telum fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 18, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zack Ater posted:

Is "color group" supposed to mean those with the same color bracelet, or those who went through the same colored door?

Those who went through the same Chromatic Door. So Sigma, Alice and Luna are all part of the same "color group" for this round of the AB Game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think it also serves as some sort of time limit. If your group doesn't finish the puzzles and get back before the next AB game finishes, it's the end of the line!

(Unless the vote countdown doesn't start until everyone's finished, I'm not quite sure if that's the case or not)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Color Printer posted:

I think it also serves as some sort of time limit. If your group doesn't finish the puzzles and get back before the next AB game, it's the end of the line!

(Unless the vote countdown doesn't start until everyone's finished, I'm not quite sure if that's the case or not)

It starts when someone swipes a card to open a chamber. 45 minutes later anyone who isn't in a chamber and voted will either ally or die.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Luna has a medical license but doesn't seem to be a doctor/nurse (or at least not a general practitioner) if her hesitancy to Sigma's question is any indication.

Taking bets on what her medical license is actually for!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

It's so easy for us as players to say "Oh well sure, we should just try to get everyone out alive and here's how to do it." In the situation itself, where your life was on the line, unless you had balls of steel you would never feel safe allying.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

So Luna has a medical license but doesn't seem to be a doctor/nurse (or at least not a general practitioner) if her hesitancy to Sigma's question is any indication.

Taking bets on what her medical license is actually for!

Medical Physics?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Might have something to do with telepathy, like the last game.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Really, this has been what all the "wink wink nudge nudge Luna's the best character" has been about?

She's nowhere near as obnoxious as June, but still. Kinda boring really.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

legoman727 posted:

Really, this has been what all the "wink wink nudge nudge Luna's the best character" has been about?

She's nowhere near as obnoxious as June, but still. Kinda boring really.

No, you won't be getting that for a very long time. This is why this is the best route though. Well, for right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Zack Ater posted:

e: I ask because I think the note makes it sound like it's the bracelet, due to the phrase, "If the pair and solo of a color both refuse to vote...," but that still gives the option of both sides of a single AB game to abstain. (i.e. Sigma & Alice could abstain, and Luna could abstain, but then neither Clover nor Phi & Dio could abstain.) Of course, that phrase is different between the image of the note and the dialogue of Zero III, and the group does immediately assume they can't all abstain.

Text in graphics tend to have minor translation errors for some reason; I think the same thing happened in 999 a few times.

King of Solomon posted:

No, you won't be getting that for a very long time. This is why this is the best route though. Well, for right now.

This is unnecessary.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fallord posted:

This is unnecessary.

He asked a question. I wanted to say more than just "no." :shobon:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

King of Solomon posted:

You could have just kept quiet, that's an option y'know!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Please just say "no." The whole "oh boy you guys will love this character wink wink nudge nudge this is the best storyline" kind of crap is really irritating.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GeneralYeti posted:

Please just say "no." The whole "oh boy you guys will love this character wink wink nudge nudge this is the best storyline" kind of crap is really irritating.

That was not what I was trying to do, but welp, I guess it came out that way. Sorry. Let's just move on now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
You know what character you guys will love?

All of them.

~TWIST~

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

curiousCat posted:

All of them.

Even the corpse of the old lady!?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

curiousCat posted:

All of them.

~TWIST~

That's not true, I have no love for the ampersand.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

GeneralYeti posted:

Please just say "no."

This is wrong too (though it would've been better). The correct response:

Don't loving answer! Let people think whatever they want and make their own judgment. Christ. (Also why would you ask a question like that in the first place?)

This is the final word on the matter. I don't want to see any more posts about it.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 18, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, I think it's clear what's going on.

Zero is the mistress. She's pissed that Sigma didn't call her the day after.

Either this person is British, or my theory had more credence than I thought. :tinfoil:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Gonna laugh if it's Zero III coming up for one last announcement/conversation while doing a British impersonation.

I...can't think of what else it would be, really.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Crap, I didn't realize the letters were called out like that. I actually used the poster to solve the puzzle. Knowing that would have been a great time-saver.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

For maximum cliffhangerness, Fedule should just have the next update be just the next image, and leave the rest of the dialogue for the update after that. Just to screw with people's heads.

I don't think cliffhangerness is a real word.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Livingtrope posted:

Crap, I didn't realize the letters were called out like that. I actually used the poster to solve the puzzle. Knowing that would have been a great time-saver.

Neither did I. I'm pretty sure I examined the robots pretty closely, too, but oh well. I got the puzzle down pretty easily- if slowly. Taking notes on the Vita is not ideal, especially since you have to hit back like six times to close files.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Gaulem is...simply unpleasant.

Other than Placidity, VLR's music has been much less pleasant to listen to compared to 999's. Shame.

Also it's really starting to get on my nerves when every time you find something your partners go "say, Sigma, can you think of anywhere this might go?"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

theshim posted:

Also it's really starting to get on my nerves when every time you find something your partners go "say, Sigma, can you think of anywhere this might go?"

Some of that is me examining stuff as we get it. Although some of it is also spontaneous, so yeah.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like how Sigma's being portrayed as somewhat of a sleazeball, as opposed to the slightly schizophrenic ball of generic anime blandness Junpei was (though you could argue that wasn't his fault depending on your interpretation of events :tinfoil:)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Speaking of Sigma being a sleaze, how about Alice and the doctor's coat? Luna I might be able to understand (especially with her 'falling for you all over again' crap) but Alice was just out of left field.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Wow, I didn't think we'd get the key to K's neck-hole so soon. So if we'd gone with Clover instead of Luna, K would have gone through this room, and probably would have escaped from his suit by now. (Assuming that's what the key does.)

GeneralYeti posted:

Speaking of Sigma being a sleaze, how about Alice and the doctor's coat? Luna I might be able to understand (especially with her 'falling for you all over again' crap) but Alice was just out of left field.

The way she talks is at least consistent with the way she dresses. I think she's not after Sigma specifically, but just habitually flirts with everyone.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

That's how you're supposed to solve it. The letters in the robots' eyes are not there in hard mode.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I unintentionally solved the Radio Puzzle when I first ran into it- I had the nametag but never the frequency chart. I was just messing around with the buttons to see what they did and I mashed the middle one four times :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
That drat drawer!!! :argh:

Unlike 999, I was able to solve most of the puzzles by myself. But this was the only room I could not figure out. I clicked everywhere many times, looked at FAQs and threads, and still couldn't figure out how to progress. It's because of that stupid drawer I missed.

• Locked thread