Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rookersh posted:

Consular is basically the Agent class for Republic. You do everything behind the scenes, get to see a bunch of politics happen, and get to see whats causing all the planets to be hosed in the ways they are before fixing them. Some people don't like the first Act, but I'd easily rate it as the best Republic storyline, and right behind Agent/Warrior.

I think people go into the Consular story expecting the wrong thing. The Consular story is much less about being an awesome Jedi and flipping around while fighting Sith as it is about investigation, deduction, and generally getting to the bottom of things and fixing them. It also, as Rookersh says, tends to tie in very tightly to the planet storylines because generally the reason you're on a planet is why it's so hosed up in the first place. And this leads to you finding out some really interesting lore stuff, for example I just finished Tatooine and it turns out that there used to be FOUR native races, not just the Sand People and Jawas.

If the Jedi Knight is Jason Bourne than the Jedi Consular is Sherlock Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!

LonsomeSon posted:

I haven't been playing SWOTOR for very long, but based on every other MMO I've ever played, you should expect PVP at not-max-level to be dramatically different from whatever is going on at max level.

Of course, based on the general quality level of low-level pubbies on Bergeren Colony, and how ~awesome~ General chat is when I'm on the Fleet, the playerbase of this game is only a few steps above those of Star Trek Online and Tera Online in terms of utter ineptitude, creepy self-insert ERP, and general insanity.

Unrelatedly, someone in this thread whose character name I can't remember added my Bounty Hunter (Valentinecrab) to their guild on the B-whatever Colony server. I've got an Agent alt I'm clicking much better with, could I get it an invite? The name is Wickedplacenta.

That was my guild Lonesome. I think KittyEmpress may have tossed you an invite cause I was offline at the time. When you see either Deskrin or Draede online let us know you need an invite for your alt.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

Sith Inquisitor and Warrior have some great times with Marr at the end of Makeb.
Inquisitor:

Marr: Yes its true the emperor is dead.
SI: I thought he was immortal?
Marr: Well, no one from the council has heard from him. We must regroup from this and gather under a new leader..
SI: Ah, so you're making a powerplay.
Marr: What? No!
SI: Of course, you want to become the new emperor.
Marr: Thats not what I said! We need to regroup and..
SI: Like you expect me to believe that.

Warrior:

Marr: Yes its true the emperor is dead.
SW: No. They killed his voice. The emperor is immortal.
Marr: We have not been in contact with him. He may truly be dead.
SW: No. The emperor is gathering his strength and will soon return with a new voice.
Marr: Uh, ok Wrath. Anyways...

Yeah I pretty much called him out on that and he was just like NO THAT"S NOT TRUE I'M NOT PLANNING ON TRYING TO MAKE THE EMPIRE MY OWN, NUH UH . Its unclear to me if he is or isn't but after all the poo poo Baras pulled, you'd think people would understand the skepticism, especially as the Emperor's Wrath.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It never ceases to amaze me how willing people are to act against their own interests in these kinds of games. We had an all Trooper group and a Vanguard shield dropped. The Vanguard tank's shield was 10 levels below their current level. The DPS Needed on the shield and the Tank greeded. I asked what was up with that, thinking they might have confused it for a DPS generator. Nope. The DPSer said "I don't have to answer to you" and the Tank said "please just drop it".

Later the other DPS Needed on a tank chest.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Red Crown posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how willing people are to act against their own interests in these kinds of games. We had an all Trooper group and a Vanguard shield dropped. The Vanguard tank's shield was 10 levels below their current level. The DPS Needed on the shield and the Tank greeded. I asked what was up with that, thinking they might have confused it for a DPS generator. Nope. The DPSer said "I don't have to answer to you" and the Tank said "please just drop it".

Later the other DPS Needed on a tank chest.

At least it's the right stat. I had a sentinel need on Aim pieces twice last night, Aim pieces that were considerably better than what I was wearing at the time. I called him on it the first time, and he said "Sorry mate wrong button", the second time he just completely ignored me. I think he was needing on everything. That was an incredibly painful run, the DPS weren't touching the adds, the tank was only holding aggro on one enemy so as the healer I had to tank ALL the adds as well as DPS them. I solo'd the last 10% of the Hammer Station final boss cause I had to concentrate on keeping myself up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I've stopped even caring honestly.

If someone needs on something they shouldn't, I put out a votekick and put them on ignore. If the group kicks them, we get a new DPS in ~1 second anyway. If the group refuses to kick them, then I drop group and requeue with that person on ignore. Since I only ever play tanks/healers, I always find a group in under ~5 minutes.

I know it makes me a heartless person, since they'll be stuck in queue for another 30 minutes or so for the actions of one, but gently caress that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rookersh posted:

If someone needs on something they shouldn't, I put out a votekick and put them on ignore. If the group kicks them, we get a new DPS in ~1 second anyway. If the group refuses to kick them, then I drop group and requeue with that person on ignore. Since I only ever play tanks/healers, I always find a group in under ~5 minutes.

I know it makes me a heartless person, since they'll be stuck in queue for another 30 minutes or so for the actions of one, but gently caress that.

You're not heartless, you're training people not to be idiots.

I am tempted to roll "Need" on Black Market pieces that one of my alts can use (mods shipped via legacy gear) but I feel weird even asking that in groups. And I'm not going to click Need, whether it's for companions or alts, without getting approval first.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hell, I feel bad needing for alt specs.

zazzix
Aug 29, 2012
I decided to start playing this a little bit again. About how active is the guild on Jedi Covenant?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame the Jedi Knight story overall is pretty bad because the ending is pretty goddamn awesome and there are some real bright spots. Actually getting your rear end kicked by the emperor the first time is a nice twist, and I think Kira Carsen and T7 are two of the best, most well-written companions in the game (Doc's pretty cool too).

It's just dumb superweapon after dumb superweapon.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I spent my free time this weekend planning for Double XP to start next weekend. I have my Inquisitor in a complete adaptive set and every crafted cybertech/armstech/artifice item she and her companion will need up to level 35 or so already in her inbox, plenty of XP tokens and absolutely nothing else to do all weekend. Going to see if I can get my character from 15 to at least 50 between getting home from work Friday and bedtime Sunday night.

The rest of the week is going to be crafting to sell as much as possible over the weekend, since people will be buying stuff like crazy for their characters. I made over 4 million just on mods and armoring in two weekends during the last double XP phase.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's a shame the Jedi Knight story overall is pretty bad because the ending is pretty goddamn awesome and there are some real bright spots. Actually getting your rear end kicked by the emperor the first time is a nice twist, and I think Kira Carsen and T7 are two of the best, most well-written companions in the game (Doc's pretty cool too).

It's just dumb superweapon after dumb superweapon.

Its so cute that (SW) you silly Jedi actually think you killed the emperor.

So what sold the best over the double xp weekends? I dabbled in making some level 25ish implants on my biochem but I didn't really make good money. Probably enhancements/mods/armorings and hilts/barrels would be good. Hmmm.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Pretty much 100% agree with this. And I honestly haven't done a whole lot of grouping in TOR, this is just coming from playing MMOs for so long. I'll give someone a chance or two, but if they insist on pulling poo poo like this after I explain why they shouldn't, I'm liberal with /ignore and the votekick.

Every once in a while I (or someone else) will ask something like "Mind if I need this for a companion?" and usually people are okay with it (assuming everyone is just Greeding it and don't need it themselves) but if you Need on something you obviously don't need, you get a warning if I think it might have been an 'honest' mistake, otherwise it's straight to /ignore. My time is precious, I don't need to waste it on petty poo poo like that.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I called him on it the first time, and he said "Sorry mate wrong button"

That's not even a workable excuse anymore, since you can trade within the group for 2 hours.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

hobbesmaster posted:

Its so cute that (SW) you silly Jedi actually think you killed the emperor.

So what sold the best over the double xp weekends? I dabbled in making some level 25ish implants on my biochem but I didn't really make good money. Probably enhancements/mods/armorings and hilts/barrels would be good. Hmmm.

Right, basically anything people will readily need for leveling. I was selling low-level blue mods for 25k, purples for 50k regularly. As in, I'd put some in the market and hours later come back to a nearly empty GTN window and hundreds of thousands in my mailbox.

Earpieces, mods, barrels, augments, mods, enhancements, etc. I also didn't dump my entire inventory at once but spread it out through the weekend. The market would get thin Sunday afternoon, and I did great business Sunday nights from the people winding down the leveling and re-equipping at their new levels.

Green equipment sells pretty well too, for people who are cheap or just want to equip their companions as cheaply as possible.

My main crafters are still on The Harbinger until character transfers open up, so I'm going to do my best to make a few million over the next few weekends, too.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I think I'm going to invest in some raw materials. Are Mods and Armorings like that mostly made from Scavenging stuff?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

What weird /stupid things have you done in SWTOR?

I have:

- Leveled a Juggernaut to 55 without grouping or PvP-ing once. I still have zero social points and have just now started to PvP (Valor rank 11! Woo! :v: )

- Deleted not one but two Smugglers in their 30's to start over. Once to change from GS to Scoundrel and once to change back to GS from Scoundrel (I may have issues)

- Made, deleted and remade probably 10 characters in the level 10-15 range. This was prior to having 12 character slots. Now my alt-itis is content.

- Listed items on the GTN that consistently go for 25k+ for 25 credits. I figure what's the point of being space-rich if you can't make a few people's day? Now I'm scrooging my credits though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've got a level 15 light side sith warrior going now based on recommendations. Thanks guys.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I have:

- Leveled a Juggernaut to 55 without grouping or PvP-ing once. I still have zero social points and have just now started to PvP (Valor rank 11! Woo! :v: )

- Deleted not one but two Smugglers in their 30's to start over. Once to change from GS to Scoundrel and once to change back to GS from Scoundrel (I may have issues)

- Made, deleted and remade probably 10 characters in the level 10-15 range. This was prior to having 12 character slots. Now my alt-itis is content.

- Listed items on the GTN that consistently go for 25k+ for 25 credits. I figure what's the point of being space-rich if you can't make a few people's day? Now I'm scrooging my credits though.

I've got a level 47 with only a few social points. I've basically never really grouped.

I was wondering, the gear sets you can buy with cartel coins, how do they work? Are they like WoW's heirlooms or something?

Btw, can someone from that's no goon invite me? Or do I need to use some outside website? I've got a 47 operative named eggsandbacon and my new sith warrior ianania.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2013

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

cat doter posted:

I was wondering, the gear sets you can buy with cartel coins, how do they work? Are they like WoW's heirlooms or something?

They're bound to the character you equip them on. My understanding is if they're the ones that have stats, you can just buy the one copy and that's it, but if it's the ones that are just open shells, you can buy them and max copies via the collections interface for that character. There's an additional fee to open them up legacy wide.

I have the thana vesh set on my sentinel, so i can make multiple copies of it on my sentinel and use it for my companions. However, I would have to spend something like 300 CCs to open it for the rest of my alts. Not all sets are that expensive. I think the phantom set may have been cheaper. The relaxed jumpsuit one is something like 60 or 90 coins. I forget.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

cat doter posted:

I don't recall whether they're Bind on Legacy (and would work like WoW Heirlooms) or BoE, but either way with Collections that's not a big issue, because for a small fee you can grab them on all your characters. Note, though, that some of the earlier (I assume; at the end of the list anyway) armor pieces come with mods in them already, and those you can't claim from Collections (presumably to keep you from getting infinite mods ripped out of them).

Cartel Market equipment is Adaptive; this means that any character can wear it and it will act like the best type of armor that character can wear. The same exact set (assuming identical armoring) will provide minimal armor on a Sage (light armor), but more armor for a Scoundrel (medium armor) and even more for a Trooper (it will be heavy armor in this case). Just as a side note social gear you buy from cantinas works this way as well.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

kmzh posted:

That's not even a workable excuse anymore, since you can trade within the group for 2 hours.

He didn't win the roll, this was when I called him out on clicking need in the first place. The excuse doesn't hold when he did it again, though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

WarLocke posted:

I don't recall whether they're Bind on Legacy (and would work like WoW Heirlooms) or BoE, but either way with Collections that's not a big issue, because for a small fee you can grab them on all your characters. Note, though, that some of the earlier (I assume; at the end of the list anyway) armor pieces come with mods in them already, and those you can't claim from Collections (presumably to keep you from getting infinite mods ripped out of them).

Cartel Market equipment is Adaptive; this means that any character can wear it and it will act like the best type of armor that character can wear. The same exact set (assuming identical armoring) will provide minimal armor on a Sage (light armor), but more armor for a Scoundrel (medium armor) and even more for a Trooper (it will be heavy armor in this case). Just as a side note social gear you buy from cantinas works this way as well.

Sounds interesting. What's a good set to buy if you're just leveling and don't wanna worry about gearing yourself up?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

WarLocke posted:

They are bind on equip and then you can pay cc to unlock for legacy in collections.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cat doter posted:

Sounds interesting. What's a good set to buy if you're just leveling and don't wanna worry about gearing yourself up?

No matter which set you get, its still orange armor, and needs to have its slots filled with level appropriate mods.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I have:

I've been playing off and on since release and I just PvP'd for the first time on Sunday.

I've levelled two heal-specced Troopers to 50.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I've got this theory that the wave of kids who Subbed after school let out is currently in the 45-55 range. I'm judging this based on scavenged metal prices. Some metals are flooding the market and crashing prices. Grade 6 metals are currently significantly cheaper and more plentiful than grade 2 metals, it must be because there are just a poo poo ton of people leveling in that range right now.

Also, if I was going to pick up a Crafting skill from scratch, not feeding it with a gathering profession, which would be the most profitable?

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 18, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Red Crown posted:

I've got this theory that the wave of kids who Subbed after school let out is currently in the 45-55 range. I'm judging this based on scavenged metal prices. Some metals are flooding the market and crashing prices. Grade 6 metals are currently significantly cheaper and more plentiful than grade 2 metals, it must be because there are just a poo poo ton of people leveling in that range right now.

You'll almost always find the lower grade metals are less plentiful than the higher grade ones. Level 50s have 5 companions they can send out on missions, while a level 20 only has one or two. You'll pay 3 times as much for a Krayt Dragon Scale as you will for a Mandalorian Iron. Plus, the stuff you make with grade 6 metals is usually replaced by HM/Op gear pretty quickly.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Sooo, my Sniper is now level 33 and I am pretty overwhelmed with skills at this point. Still gaining new ones every few levels and my bars are pretty much full. I assume theres no macros, so how the hell do people manage all these skills? None of them seem necessarily worthless. I guess I might have to start binding ctrl+1-5 on top of my mouse buttons, q e f g z x c v and cover bar.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JayJay posted:

Sooo, my Sniper is now level 33 and I am pretty overwhelmed with skills at this point. Still gaining new ones every few levels and my bars are pretty much full. I assume theres no macros, so how the hell do people manage all these skills? None of them seem necessarily worthless. I guess I might have to start binding ctrl+1-5 on top of my mouse buttons, q e f g z x c v and cover bar.

Ctrl+1-5 are already bound to your companions skills. I use alt+1-5 personally.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Annakie posted:

I've levelled two heal-specced Troopers to 50.

Is it the 'heal-spec Trooper' that's the silly bit or the fact that you did two of them?

Because I'm eyeing Troopers and trying to decide between Vanguard and Commando...

JayJay posted:

I have my primary quickbar bound to 1-6 and Alt+1-6, Second bar is Ctrl+1-6 and misc stuff (mouse wheel up/down for mount and rest, Q for interrupt, E for CC break, Sprint, Buff) and a bar on the left side of the screen for clickies (mail droid, repair droid, QT, fleet pass, etc etc).

But then again I play my characters very minimalist, typical button setup is something like:

1-6: Basic attacks
Alt+1-6: Tactical/long cooldown attacks (or in my Sage's case, all the heal-type stuff)
Ctrl+1-6: Special-case stuff (aggro drop, Sage cannibalize, etc) and/or oh poo poo buttons (Unity, the Force Moment thing, etc)

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Hulk Smash! posted:

I have:

I have now leveled 5 characters through chapter one. One Jedi Sentinel through chapter 2. And I haven't finished a single character all the way to 50(55 now). I get so burnt out on the planetary quests that I can't do it. I've had this issue with every MMO that I've played with the exception of WoW. But that's mostly because it takes all of like...one week to get a character leveled up the whole way.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I know what you mean. I feel that this game slows down considerably after Chapter 1. It's pretty demotivating.

I did manage to get to 50 once but that is because the imperial agent story is that good.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 18, 2013

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care
The main issue for me is lack of people to play with. If I had a friend to do all the quests with and chat with the entire time it'd be okay. Just hard to be motivated to log in when 90% of the planetary quests suck rear end and I'm roaming around a vast expanse of land with nobody nearby.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Haven't played Smug yet, so can't say.

I just finished my gunslingers story and it's been a load of fun, even light side smuggler is literally :smug: defined.

My only issue was that Skavak was so much more interesting and fun to interact with than The Voidwolf

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

deathsuxdontdie posted:

The main issue for me is lack of people to play with. If I had a friend to do all the quests with and chat with the entire time it'd be okay. Just hard to be motivated to log in when 90% of the planetary quests suck rear end and I'm roaming around a vast expanse of land with nobody nearby.

I'd be down for that if you're on Prophecy of the Five. Probably not since most goons seem not to be but throwing it out there anyway.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

JayJay posted:

12 button mouse. Then shift + most of the 12 buttons, then alt + almost all 12 buttons. Then binding ` q e z x c also.

This game will give me carpal tunnel.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Agraya posted:

I'd be down for that if you're on Prophecy of the Five. Probably not since most goons seem not to be but throwing it out there anyway.

Ditto if you're on Shadowlands but gently caress me sideways no one is on Shadowlands.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ok, I played this briefly around release but have been talked into jumping back into it. I'm a little lost on what type of character I want to play. I've leveled all of the Imperial classes to ~12 (I want to play through all the stoetlines eventually), but am now on a constrained schedule so I need to actually pick something and stick with it.

Typically, I enjoy ranged DPS or healing...so I'm thinking either a Sniper or a Mercenary, but the stab and shoot playstyle of the Operative seems like a blast. Which of these is the easiest to level when you can only play for 30 minutes to an hour a night?

I play on Prophecy of the Five, if that matters at all.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I would say Mercenary is the smoothest. They wear the heaviest armor, have excellent ranged damage, and get a healer companion early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascul
Jan 27, 2013

Devorum posted:

Ok, I played this briefly around release but have been talked into jumping back into it. I'm a little lost on what type of character I want to play. I've leveled all of the Imperial classes to ~12 (I want to play through all the stoetlines eventually), but am now on a constrained schedule so I need to actually pick something and stick with it.

Typically, I enjoy ranged DPS or healing...so I'm thinking either a Sniper or a Mercenary, but the stab and shoot playstyle of the Operative seems like a blast. Which of these is the easiest to level when you can only play for 30 minutes to an hour a night?

I play on Prophecy of the Five, if that matters at all.

Merc is a lot easier to level. The agent story line is hands down better if you care about that sort of thing.

Merc is a lot of just power through things and let your heavy armor and decent DPS take care of things. Both agent classes you are a lot less tankey and you have to plan out your attacks more and be smart about what you engage.

• Locked thread