Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TwoQuestions posted:

In other news, I just got Legends of the Wulin, and the similarities between that and the hints about Exalted 3rd are striking. I wonder how much the writers took that book as their inspiration. Didn't find much on the Wiki, I think Plague of Hats mentioned it once.

When John and Holden developed the core of the new combat system, I don't think Legends was out yet, but in any case I believe Holden skimmed the game once and John has never read it. Vance and I talked a lot about it in meetings, though, especially when we were developing the movement system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I was really hoping for a September/October release as unrealistic as that sounds, for at least the PDF's so I can read and run my game :(

I guess November/December sounds more logical but I don't want it to be true. I will it not to be! :colbert:

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Yeah, are we going to get the QuickStart rules at the same time, or earlier?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm hoping the book comes out tomorrow and they've just been teasing us this entire time.

Slightly Lions posted:

Yeah, are we going to get the QuickStart rules at the same time, or earlier?

I feel like they've said "the quickstart is there so you can get people playing without forcing them to comb through the whole corebook, not so you can start running the game before it's out".

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hey, did they ever explain/apologize for that whole rape Charms/fake apology/'we're sorry you were offended' thing?

I mean, I ultimately cancelled my pledge over it. I want to invest in 3E, but not so much if it's going to be gross.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Consider: since at some point in the future the Exalted dev team will attempt to sell a book to someone for money, an apology would be rendered moot by the potential existence of a profit motive.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

When John and Holden developed the core of the new combat system, I don't think Legends was out yet, but in any case I believe Holden skimmed the game once and John has never read it. Vance and I talked a lot about it in meetings, though, especially when we were developing the movement system.

Legends of the Wulin is a bomb-rear end game, and one of the reasons I'm sad Neall Price isn't writing for Exalted right now.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

GreenMetalSun posted:

Hey, did they ever explain/apologize for that whole rape Charms/fake apology/'we're sorry you were offended' thing?

I mean, I ultimately cancelled my pledge over it. I want to invest in 3E, but not so much if it's going to be gross.

I would assume that no apology is forthcoming despite what Morke may have said in a KS comment. If he does issue one, then that's great.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Bardlebee posted:

So quiet lately.

Has there been any new news on the new edition such as when it will be released and potentially shipped?

The release date is slotted for October. I highly doubt we see the book before November, however.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bedlamdan posted:

Legends of the Wulin is a bomb-rear end game, and one of the reasons I'm sad Neall Price isn't writing for Exalted right now.

Neall's pretty great, but I thought he just did editing on Wulin.

EDIT: Not but I'm knocking editors, mind. It's just unusual to see someone be a fan over editing.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 18, 2013

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Plague of Hats posted:

EDIT: Not but I'm knocking editors, mind. It's just unusual to see someone be a fan over editing.

That's because we've all seen firsthand in the Exalted gameline what happens without quality editing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Well he wrote some things. Here and there. I'll try to ask him exactly what he wrote before I shoot my mouth off. :blush:

Thesaurasaurus posted:

That's because we've all seen firsthand in the Exalted gameline what happens without quality editing.

Not to throw him under the bus but he did the editing for Nobilis 2E. (He's sorry).

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Bedlamdan posted:

Well he wrote some things. Here and there. I'll try to ask him exactly what he wrote before I shoot my mouth off. :blush:

Not to throw him under the bus but he did the editing for Nobilis 2E. (He's sorry).

Neall is the sort of editor that often means "editor and uncredited writer."

He's currently writing (actually writing) the Washington DC sourcebook for Mummy The Curse.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Plague of Hats posted:

Sean Punch is the best, I tell you true.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

As a cursory follower of the events of the 3e launch, I'm curious: have the devs totally fallen silent since the kickstarter ended with regards to mechanics and the 'other' issues?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

As a cursory follower of the events of the 3e launch, I'm curious: have the devs totally fallen silent since the kickstarter ended with regards to mechanics and the 'other' issues?

Try http://nishkriya.com/ for recent dev posts.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Have the devs made any comments on the Abyssal sex charms since the Kickstarter? I cancelled my pledge over it and it seemed like a pretty big deal, but I haven't heard anything since.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bigup DJ posted:

Have the devs made any comments on the Abyssal sex charms since the Kickstarter? I cancelled my pledge over it and it seemed like a pretty big deal, but I haven't heard anything since.

I've been paying fairly close attention for this and neither I nor my freelancer friend have heard anything.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Mors Rattus posted:

I've been paying fairly close attention for this and neither I nor my freelancer friend have heard anything.

It's probably best that way. I think the end conclusion depends on how you view it or how it goes down. People said their peace and that was that. Whether they take that information and modify what they have created on the opening of the Abyssals or not is the real test. I mean, I am not saying its okay to let is rest, but honestly with their response do you think it matters whether we flail our hands up in the air about it anymore? They have said what they have said and don't seem to change that tone.

For me, I am still getting the book. I buy the product on faith of good writing and hopes to god for better mechanics. It's simple. If they create a product such as the Abyssals and you purchase it, just don't purchase the rest if it turns into ghost-rape. Vote with your purchase, the tabletop industry is hurting enough as it is, so they wont continue if there is a big outcry and no one buys that product. They will change their tune.... maybe.

With that all said. There is like no updates and I am a bit disappointed they haven't like made a kickstarter update saying "Hey just checking in once a month"... because its been like 3 weeks or more. :(

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Silence very much is not the best solution to giant public fuckups.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Well, especially after saying, "This is something we'll address after the kickstarter is over."

The rationale for that statement was always kind of flimsy, but the longer they go without saying anything, the more it seems like they simply wanted to dismiss the concerns while retaining as many backers as possible.

I'd still really, really like for the next edition to be good - both mechanically sound and ghost-rape free, but I didn't feel like the kickstarter gave me anything concrete to go on for either one.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Sionak posted:

I'd still really, really like for the next edition to be good - both mechanically sound and ghost-rape free, but I didn't feel like the kickstarter gave me anything concrete to go on for either one.

I agree and it's frustrating to sit here and give them money for a book made of solid gold and forged by the gods. Only to have them not mention a beta version of their mechanics. I mean, they can't even give a preview of things they are working on?

I guess that is what bothers me. They make it sound like mechanically they are very close to the end, but then have no hard numbers to back it up. Even if the mechanics changed drastically I would like to see what they are working on.

I feel your point about staying silent, and I agree with you on that. But as Sionak mentioned their response has been lack luster at best and just seems like avoidance. I will still buy the book and if there are parts that freak me out about it, I may not buy the next one. Personally that is my way of sticking it to the man so to speak, especially after we made it very clear about how it was at the time. That is all I meant.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Bardlebee posted:

I will still buy the book and if there are parts that freak me out about it, I may not buy the next one. Personally that is my way of sticking it to the man so to speak, especially after we made it very clear about how it was at the time. That is all I meant.

Why not just wait until the book comes out and read some reviews to determine whether it's actually going to be good or if it was all a smoke screen? I mean people seem to be falling into the same trap as video game preorders. Making sure it's not poo poo before you put down money on something seems like common sense.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Valhawk posted:

Why not just wait until the book comes out and read some reviews to determine whether it's actually going to be good or if it was all a smoke screen? I mean people seem to be falling into the same trap as video game preorders. Making sure it's not poo poo before you put down money on something seems like common sense.
Yes indeed.

This is exactly why I changed my ultra deluxe book pledge into a PDF pledge.

Between the rapeghosts and the absence of mechanics, my remaining faith could not justify the physical book price.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Valhawk posted:

I mean, to be honest I wanted the gold plated book. That is all.

I will most likely wait and hear good things about the others before thinking about pre-ordering. I don't pre-order things often and yes I know "Because its a gold plated book" is a poor excuse, but its my only one. At least I am being honest about it. :)

But, in the end I think I will wait to hear about all the books. I mean were talking about a whole other series of books probably the collection size of 2E so I can wait to spend that much.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Dodge Charms posted:

Yes indeed.

This is exactly why I changed my ultra deluxe book pledge into a PDF pledge.

Between the rapeghosts and the absence of mechanics, my remaining faith could not justify the physical book price.

This is pretty much my exact response as well. I put in for the pick a demon tier and then everything they did (or didn't do) during the KS caused me to drop down to pdf level.

The current silence from the dev team makes a lot of sense though. They were pretty busy during the KSer with fan wrangling, previews, and all that other stuff that isn't actually working on the book so I'm glad we're not hearing from them right now because it means work might actually be getting done. Personally, I'd be very surprised if, as of right now, the charm chapter's first draft was even completed.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

This is pretty much my exact response as well. I put in for the pick a demon tier and then everything they did (or didn't do) during the KS caused me to drop down to pdf level.

And if the book ends up free of problematic material, it's not like you can't get a physical copy of the book later on, anyways. :shobon:

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Bedlamdan posted:

And if the book ends up free of problematic material, it's not like you can't get a physical copy of the book later on, anyways. :shobon:

But can you get a gold plated book later? This is actually a legitimate question. :)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bardlebee posted:

But can you get a gold plated book later? This is actually a legitimate question. :)

The gold-plated book was apparently a one-time only thing for the kickstarter, actually. To be honest, that never mattered to me: I just want a solid copy if it turns out to be good. I hear mixed things about the quality of Print on Demand, though.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

IIRC the PoD corebook is going to be priced around $110, and that's given current PoD pricing, which may go down as efficiency improves.

If you don't mind PoD rather than a traditional print run, you can pick the PoD one up for the same price as the physical book pledge. I don't mind PoD books, so if the PDF is good, I may buy the book that way.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Silence very much is not the best solution to giant public fuckups.

In all honesty? I think complete silence would've served them far better and probably lost them less pledges than, you know, what actually happened.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dodge Charms posted:

IIRC the PoD corebook is going to be priced around $110, and that's given current PoD pricing, which may go down as efficiency improves.

If you don't mind PoD rather than a traditional print run, you can pick the PoD one up for the same price as the physical book pledge. I don't mind PoD books, so if the PDF is good, I may buy the book that way.

Similar color PoD books are actually around $80. If they're available you can get shittier print quality or black-and-white PoDs that bump the price down to at or below old traditional print run costs (about $50).

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Similar color PoD books are actually around $80. If they're available you can get shittier print quality or black-and-white PoDs that bump the price down to at or below old traditional print run costs (about $50).

Plague of Hats given you're around could you comment on the Abyssal sex charms? How do you feel about them?

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Bigup DJ posted:

Plague of Hats given you're around could you comment on the Abyssal sex charms? How do you feel about them?

He's be quite consistent in never talking about them. Could we please continue in that vein? I personally don't find it very interesting to talk about rapeghosts when we could be talking about beating up the Fair Folk.

That said, regarding the Fair Folk. In 2e I found the concept utterly fascinating, but also found the book completely impenetrable. That said, making 3e Fair Folk completely clinical would also take away from their charm. Have there been discussions on the matter amongst the 3e crew?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Fightest posted:

He's be quite consistent in never talking about them. Could we please continue in that vein? I personally don't find it very interesting to talk about rapeghosts when we could be talking about beating up the Fair Folk.

Why should we? I think it's very interesting. I've been turned off the game completely since it happened and I want to know why it is they're not saying anything about it.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Bardlebee posted:

Resale market!

I'm not sure I'd feel good about myself if I had a gold plated copy of the book and it turned out looking like what we saw during the Kickstarter though.

quote:

I put in for the standard hardcopy (it's all I could afford at the time), but wound up cancelling my pledge by the end, too. The absolute refusal to discuss the mechanics of the game did it for me. If they haven't got enough faith in what they're building to show it to people, I don't think I have enough faith in what they're doing to give them money for it.

Heart Attacks fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 27, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Bigup DJ posted:

Why should we? I think it's very interesting. I've been turned off the game completely since it happened and I want to know why it is they're not saying anything about it.

Rapeghosts is a discussion that should be put on hold because just about everything on both sides of the argument that can be said about them has been said about them and the Devs are aware of every single argument. There's nothing more to be said about them, and I say this as someone who really dislikes the charms in question and really hopes the Devs end up with something more like MiltonSlavemasta's ideas earlier in the thread.

But there's nothing more to say about those charms that hasn't been done to death already, all that's left is an outrageboner circlejerk, especially since the two Devs responsible for those charms (Holden and Hatewheel; Plague of Hats didn't have anything to do with the charms) don't seem interested in coming back to Something Awful.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Yeah, I'd really rather not run off devs who weren't even really connected to the whole debacle from posting on other things.

I disagree there's nothing more to be said (there are absolutely some things Hatewheel could say), but I don't at all blame the other devs for not wanting to comment at this point, and I don't really think it's reasonable for the issue to chase them everywhere.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Nightskye posted:

I disagree there's nothing more to be said (there are absolutely some things Hatewheel could say), but I don't at all blame the other devs for not wanting to comment at this point, and I don't really think it's reasonable for the issue to chase them everywhere.
I feel like the only thing really left to be said is for Mørke to follow up on his statement that he would discuss the situation once the KS was over. That has yet to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Nightskye posted:

Yeah, I'd really rather not run off devs who weren't even really connected to the whole debacle from posting on other things.

Which would be reasonable, except that they'd promised further discussion once the Kickstarter was over, using the pretty dubious reasoning that anything they said before then would be somehow tainted by the profit motive. While it's pretty likely they were just lying and using that as a flimsy excuse, that doesn't mean they should be let off the hook for using it.

quote:

In all honesty? I think complete silence would've served them far better and probably lost them less pledges than, you know, what actually happened.

Probably, if only because we could have skipped over "and it's not really 'hold her down and stick it in' rape'" phase, and then the "no, it's fine, we're totally going to fix it ha ha just kidding" phase.

• Locked thread