Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

they've even got a little Puyol :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Hoops posted:

This came up a few weeks ago, it's just that stupid ugly logo drawing he's trademarking, not the actual gesture.

edit: lol its called the "11 of hearts"

Hearts are going into administration though? How is Bale going to play for them?!!!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Did he just hover for a split second there?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This is almost hypnotizing

3peat
May 6, 2010

El Hefe posted:

This World Cup is gonna be Messi alright.

South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar, FIFA sure knows how to pick'em.

South Africa was one of the best organized world cups ever, like on par with germany and better than france.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

They had those loving vuvuzelas though and the football was mostly really bad. It was a bit boring tbh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

euroboy posted:

They had those loving vuvuzelas though and the football was mostly really bad.

All big tournaments have been real bad lately though I can only think of that Italy/Germany game in recent memory that was a good match between 2 good teams.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 17, 2013

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

3peat posted:

South Africa was one of the best organized world cups ever, like on par with germany and better than france.

And Brazil, Russia and Qatar might be too who knows, doesn't mean it's safe to go there or that people would want to go there.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Seltzer posted:

Actually on the whole, police/government action has helped a lot. Favelas have been recognized and normalized slowly whereas before they were dealt with as non-entities. The percentage of favelas run by gangs has dropped by a large percentage, I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but I have been following this story pretty closely. The HDI's of Sao Paulo and Rio are 0.851 and 0.842 respectively. The United Kingdom is 0.875 and Russia is 0.788 for reference. That picture is kind of really dumb. Every country hosting the WC and or Olympics always deals with out of control spending, big stadiums, infrastructure issues, and hotel capacity problems. Sao Paulo and Rio are quite safe in the downtown areas when there aren't a million police and BOPE patrolling the streets so I wouldn't worry about when the WC is on. The image looks like someone is fed up with the money being spent/inconveniences and threw on top "DRUG GANGS" to make their point seem more forceful. I am rambling now, but as someone else said, if South Africa pulled it off, don't worry about Brazil.

Yeah, I think you may have missed the protests thread in GBS. That is a picture from some protests outside the Maracana. Apparently not all is well in paradise right now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Yeah, I think you may have missed the protests thread in GBS. That is a picture from some protests outside the Maracana. Apparently not all is well in paradise right now.

I am well aware of the protests. Similar poo poo happened in London awhile ago, a protest doesn't automatically derail all progress.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

3peat posted:

^citation needed

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Chiming in to say USA '94 was the most profitable and best organized World Cup ever. We wouldn't even have to build anything, could host tomorrow, and it would be even more money for FIFA than they could dream of. But nope, a couple $2m villas in Spain later and we have a World Cup in a country with 1 city and no stadiums in 120 degree heat.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Wait, riot police? At a South American football game? That's pretty amazing, right there.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Seltzer posted:

I am well aware of the protests. Similar poo poo happened in London awhile ago, a protest doesn't automatically derail all progress.

Being Brazilian at least payed off during those protests today:

I can only dream of Brave English Lion John Terry jumping face first into that tear gas grenade :allears:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Chiming in to say USA '94 was the most profitable and best organized World Cup ever. We wouldn't even have to build anything, could host tomorrow, and it would be even more money for FIFA than they could dream of. But nope, a couple $2m villas in Spain later and we have a World Cup in a country with 1 city and no stadiums in 120 degree heat.

I think USA '94 and Atlanta '96 conclusively proved that America can never again be allowed to host a global sporting event

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

the sex ghost posted:

I think USA '94 and Atlanta '96 conclusively proved that America can never again be allowed to host a global sporting event

Because we were too good at it and everyone had fun? If you were going the corruption route, you should have said Salt Lake.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

the sex ghost posted:

What does this even mean?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ayb posted:

What does this even mean?

Atlanta 96 was ruined by terrorism and usa 94 gave us Alexi Lalas, football pundit, which possibly is an even worse breach of human rights.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

El Hefe posted:

looking fabulous
He is so incredibly juiced up, if that yacht dumps his piss into the ocean you'll start seeing sharks with six pack abs

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

vaginal culture posted:

He is so incredibly juiced up, if that yacht dumps his piss into the ocean you'll start seeing sharks with six pack abs

He looks amazing though, like a real life Ken doll.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We wouldn't even have to build anything, could host tomorrow, and it would be even more money for FIFA than they could dream of. But nope, a couple $2m villas in Spain later and we have a World Cup in a country with 1 city and no stadiums in 120 degree heat.

This is true of about a million European countries that actually give a poo poo about football, have proper football specific stadia, and aren't a logistical nightmare for visiting fans.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

This past Saturday evening, I attended a match between my hometown club, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, and the Charleston Battery. The match ended in a 1-1 draw, but was pretty exciting overall, and everyone had a good time. The cheap huge beers didn't hurt. Enjoy this small glimpse into the doings of a mid-table 3rd-tier (USL Professional Division) American professional soccer team. Some of these I took myself (the lovely ones) and some are from the club's website.

Midfielder Matthew Dallman

Forward Jose Angulo, who is probably our best player. He has 7 goals in 11 appearances so far this season.

Forward Darren Amoo, who is not as good.

Our keeper, Hunter Gilstrap, who is really pretty decent.

We are shouting at people in this picture.

A couple of shots from the cheap seats.

relative_q fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 18, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

This is true of about a million European countries that actually give a poo poo about football, have proper football specific stadia, and aren't a logistical nightmare for visiting fans.

"Proper" Football specific stadia? Really?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Yes really

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

El Hefe posted:

He looks amazing though, like a real life Ken doll.

Yeah he looks great, and I hope more players get loving huge like that, would be awesome

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

the sex ghost posted:

These events obviously deeply scarred you at ages 3 and 5 respectively. I hope that one day you can recover.

We have tons of appropriate soccer specific stadia these days. None cooler than Toyota Field home of the world famous San Antonio Scorpions.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qD6PoT50fw

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

relative_q posted:

Our keeper, Hunter Gilstrap, who is really pretty decent.

That is a manly image/name combination.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=12f_1371475888

Eboue owns.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

"Proper" Football specific stadia? Really?

Yes, proper football stadia. The USA has how many? Three? And they're 4000 miles away from each other? Traveling from Atlanta to Seattle is like flying from London to Mosocw. The infrastructure is all super old. Most cities have loving awful public transportation. China should get a world cup before the USA ever gets one again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbJLG65iMg

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

vickser posted:

Yes, proper football stadia. The USA has how many? Three? And they're 4000 miles away from each other? Traveling from Atlanta to Seattle is like flying from London to Mosocw. The infrastructure is all super old. Most cities have loving awful public transportation. China should get a world cup before the USA ever gets one again.

I'm not sure that any/all of these things are true.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

bonesquid posted:

I'm not sure that any/all of these things are true.

I can vouch for this bit:

vickser posted:

China should get a world cup before the USA ever gets one again.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

vickser posted:

China should get a world cup before the USA ever gets one again.

China, Australia, India, England, Italy and Spain too imo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

vickser posted:

Yes, proper football stadia. The USA has how many? Three? And they're 4000 miles away from each other?

Bad troll dude.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Does India even have a national team? I suspect they won't give a poo poo about a WC unless it's in cricket.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

There are literally more 30k capacity football stadiums in Coventry than there are in all of America.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If only we had stadiums in 32 cities (way more if you count college stadiums) that housed 80k people. If. only.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JP Money posted:

If only we had stadiums in 32 cities (way more if you count college stadiums) that housed 80k people. If. only.

do you understand the difference between a football stadium and a non-football stadium?

Ask Italians or anyone who's been to the Olympic if it's the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

JP Money posted:

I think only 13 or so have actual grass, but if you add college stadiums we've got that poo poo covered. Hell, you could probably pick Texas alone and we'd have enough stadiums to cover it.

• Locked thread