Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Put me down on a fiver for "It's not Final Fantasy, it's a reskinned Kingdom Hearts" with a mix of "there's no overworld" and "The plot is stupid!"

After watching the trailer with a friend, he called it Uncharted Hearts. I've decided that this will be one of the key insults-of-choice when the game inevitably comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

fivegears4reverse posted:

After watching the trailer with a friend, he called it Uncharted Hearts. I've decided that this will be one of the key insults-of-choice when the game inevitably comes out.

I think most people would play the crap out of Uncharted Hearts. Even the name works pretty well!

The "inevitably" part is more questionable though. :v:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Could you provide a link?

http://www.rpgsite.net/interviews/448-e3-2013-final-fantasy-x-&-x2-hd-remaster-developer-interview

There ya go.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I feel weird because I love both X and XII. :shobon:

(I also think everything associated with XIII has been a waste of development time, so hey. :v:)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I was enjoying FF13 in a really kinda whatever passive way when I first got my PS3, but I haven't bothered to put any more time in it since I put it down, somewhere near reuniting Hope with his parent.

The archetype swapping got boring and really formulaic, like oh tap with the overdrive meter slower, then just swap to beat the poo poo out of it, rinse repeat

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Kyrosiris posted:

I feel weird because I love both X and XII. :shobon:

Wanna hear something really weird? I love XII, X, and VIII (in that order).

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

I was enjoying FF13 in a really kinda whatever passive way when I first got my PS3, but I haven't bothered to put any more time in it since I put it down, somewhere near reuniting Hope with his parent.

The archetype swapping got boring and really formulaic, like oh tap with the overdrive meter slower, then just swap to beat the poo poo out of it, rinse repeat

I was kinda the same way, but (broken record here) that feeling does get better. I'm not the games biggest fan but I found the paradigm system to get very satisfying towards the end.

Although with the amount of time I've put into XIII-2 (far too much, and definitely far more than FFXIII) I might be thinking of that ones battle system instead. But I was happy I finished up XIII to get XIII-2, it's a bloody fun game with a godawful story which is fine with me for a sequel.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Vittles posted:

Wanna hear something really weird? I love XII, X, and VIII (in that order).

That really isn't weird. I can't say X was an awful game on the level of II or XIII, and VIII is a lot of fun once you get over what Final Fantasy "should" be like.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That really isn't weird. I can't say X was an awful game on the level of II or XIII, and VIII is a lot of fun once you get over what Final Fantasy "should" be like.

That's not even VIII's problem, though. It just makes no sense on pretty much every level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

That's not even VIII's problem, though. It just makes no sense on pretty much every level.

So like, uh, theres a hereditary witch who overthrew a democratically elected government on live TV but a group of super soldiers trained at an academy which is also a hovership and owned by a space alien decide to stop her except their all orphans she raised together who don't remember it because they equipped magical beings to themselves and also the moon is full of space monsters who slam into the planet which has both a seaside wood-ship fishing village and a futuristic floating city that spans a continent but its kind of all irrelevant because a someone from both the future and present decided to merge all of time into a single moment because she might be the main heroes girlfriend from an alternate timeline which requires him to remember her face so he can escape the nexus of time and watch his best friend choke to death on hotdogs.

That seems pretty simple.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barudak posted:

So like, uh, theres a hereditary witch who overthrew a democratically elected government on live TV but a group of super soldiers trained at an academy which is also a hovership and owned by a space alien decide to stop her except their all orphans she raised together who don't remember it because they equipped magical beings to themselves and also the moon is full of space monsters who slam into the planet which has both a seaside wood-ship fishing village and a futuristic floating city that spans a continent but its kind of all irrelevant because a someone from both the future and present decided to merge all of time into a single moment because she might be the main heroes girlfriend from an alternate timeline which requires him to remember her face so he can escape the nexus of time and watch his best friend choke to death on hotdogs.

The best summary if VIII's plot I've ever read. Is that last part about main heroes girlfriend true?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's a popular theory. Also add "and he was probably dead the whole time" and that just about rounds it out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

The best summary if VIII's plot I've ever read. Is that last part about main heroes girlfriend true?

I think its entirely a fan theory and probably 100% discredited by some random smudged linear notes in the art-book. It is based entirely on the fact that Ultemecia summons Squalls personal GF which nobody else knows except Rhinoa and the fact that despite Time Kompression Squall and Rhinoa's timeline is unaffected.

Mazed posted:

It's a popular theory. Also add "and he was probably dead the whole time" and that just about rounds it out.

Squall can't be dead because I prefer to believe a world where Zell choking on hot-dogs at his prom/graduation/I saved the planet party happened.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

I played enough terribly localized RPGs back then that I didn't care how little it made sense. It was weird, but took me to interesting locales and had fun gameplay. Some people take their games too seriously.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I think they gave Ultimecia some of Rinoa's weapons to equip in Dissidia.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

To be fair, they gave Kuja some of Garnet's weapons if I remember correctly. Which makes me wonder if any crazy fans have made a Kuja=Garnet theory because drat if that wouldn't be great/awful.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I got an even more unpopular opinion, I don't dislike any of the FF's I've played (6,7&Crisis Core,8,9,10/10-2,12,13-2, and 14 2.0. Plus Dissidia if you want to count it).

The GIG fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The GIG posted:

I got an even more unpopular opinion, I don't dislike any of the FF's I've played (6,7,8,9,10,12,13-2, and 14 2.0).

Grab a copy of FFII, FFIII or FFII for the Gameboy and let the hate flow through you.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Barudak posted:

Grab a copy of FFII, FFIII or FFII for the Gameboy and let the hate flow through you.

I have the most unpopular opinion in that I actually really like 2. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Don't forget FF13

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the only games I've played that I haven't liked were I and II just because they were so dated from a design perspective. I mean, I beat them, but it was really boring, grindy stuff.

VIII, on the other hand, continues to astound with its bonkers plot and strangely broken combat system. I wonder if anyone realized how easy it was to maximize everything before they shipped it. It really is a ton of fun to screw around with all the junction stuff and its the first FF I've played since V that has even attempted this level of complete player control over specialization and character development. It's cool stuff.

The plot is goofy strange stuff and jarring really coming right off the surprisingly solid plot in VII. The characters are caricatures to the extreme. There is no explanation for how this three kids were chosen to become elite mercenaries since it appears (up to this point, at least) that they don't have a functioning brain cell to share among them. Squall is funny though, since his whole deal seems to be "People thought Cloud was an angsty jerk for some reason. Lets show these people what a REAL angsty jerk sounds like". I've only just finished the first disc so maybe things get fleshed out, but judging from that summary it appears that there's no hope of that happening.

Basically VIII is "THIS IS NOT 7. TOTALLY NOT 7 OVER HERE GUYS. gently caress FINAL FANTASY LETS STAGE A TRAIN ROBBERY" and I'm loving it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pureauthor posted:

...because Rinoa was also a sorceress and Ultimecia didn't have any equipment otherwise, but I'm not going to continue this because I hate when other people start it.

High point of FF8 was the speech from Laguna at the end that literally said something like "step 3: use the power of friendship and love to avoid becoming lost in time forever!"

edit: At guy above, you just finished Disc 1? Love to get your impression when you get further, don't read this yet...
Did you think there was an abrupt tonal shift when Disc 2 started?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Booky posted:

I have the most unpopular opinion in that I actually really like 2. :colbert:

'sup fellow FF2 lover.

Honestly, I can't really claim FF2 is a particularly good game, the reason I love it has little to do with its overall quality, but damned if it hasn't been unnecessarily abused. Obtuse as poo poo, yes. Hardest Final Fantasy ever? Uh, no. Not really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

'sup fellow FF2 lover.

Honestly, I can't really claim FF2 is a particularly good game, the reason I love it has little to do with its overall quality, but damned if it hasn't been unnecessarily abused. Obtuse as poo poo, yes. Hardest Final Fantasy ever? Uh, no. Not really.

The hardest final fantasy is Final Fantasy Legend 1 when you feed your team the wrong food products and irreparably gently caress up their stats and ruin your game. It also should win an award for most rear end-backwards plot resolution in a narrative.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Barudak posted:

The hardest final fantasy is Final Fantasy Legend 1 when you feed your team the wrong food products and irreparably gently caress up their stats and ruin your game. It also should win an award for most rear end-backwards plot resolution in a narrative.

You get to kill God with a chainsaw. That's the best ending ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Don't forget FF13

I wish I could :stat:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Camel Pimp posted:

'sup fellow FF2 lover.

One of these days I should go back and play it, but I remember getting a canoe, going into a cave or a dungeon or something, and I apparently walked the wrong way because BOOM an Adamantoise pops out and wipes my entire party and it wouldn't let me save for roughly an hour before I got there.

I guess that's not really 'hard' but it sure is obtuse and annoying!

Fake Edit: It was fairly early into the game too, so I really had no chance against it. Nor was it warned that "HEY YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN GO HERE".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

You get to kill God with a chainsaw. That's the best ending ever.

He's not god, he's a game-show host. He offers you whatever you want, you refuse, you murder him, are offered whatever you want, refuse, then accept the reward the previous boss who was literally designed by the game-show host to be the pure personification of evil offered even though you killed him because you didn't want it then.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

ShadeofDante posted:

One of these days I should go back and play it, but I remember getting a canoe, going into a cave or a dungeon or something, and I apparently walked the wrong way because BOOM an Adamantoise pops out and wipes my entire party and it wouldn't let me save for roughly an hour before I got there.

I guess that's not really 'hard' but it sure is obtuse and annoying!

Fake Edit: It was fairly early into the game too, so I really had no chance against it. Nor was it warned that "HEY YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN GO HERE".

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're just describing a monster in a chest. Unless you're talking about a later dungeon, and then that's a boss. The game DOES do that on the overworld map, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF2 is kind of the early 60s David Bowie of Final Fantasy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: At guy above, you just finished Disc 1? Love to get your impression when you get further, don't read this yet...
Did you think there was an abrupt tonal shift when Disc 2 started?

You say this as if FF8 doesn't have abrupt tonal shifts every five minutes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

You say this as if FF8 doesn't have abrupt tonal shifts every five minutes
I wanted to know if he noticed the big one when he wasn't explicitly looking for it, because I came in looking for it and sure, found it in spades, but I'm wondering if that was confirmation bias.

Now we'll never know, since now he knows to look for it :downs:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wanted to know if he noticed the big one when he wasn't explicitly looking for it, because I came in looking for it and sure, found it in spades, but I'm wondering if that was confirmation bias.

Now we'll never know, since now he knows to look for it :downs:

I don't think there was any sort of tonal shift between the discs. I mean for crying out loud the first disc features you renting a car to drive to an ancient ruin to beat up minotaur brothers. The second disc features you not preventing a missile launch but increasing the chance of error because that's a thing the missiles are programmed to do. Disc three has color coded space aliens in a rocketship to the moon which is made out monsters but no one ever recovered it despite having a goddamn orbital space-station/prison.

The game is a mess start to finish and furthermore, even should the owlcreek bridge scenario be in play, it is 100% irrelevant to the story at hand.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 18, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I guess if we're showing off our unpopular opinions, I like X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2. And I actually enjoyed what I played of the DS version of III (I bet that's the most unpopular opinion.) But like others, I don't really hate any of the ones I've played.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

You should have written the plot summary on the FF wiki.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

FF2 is kind of the early 60s David Bowie of Final Fantasy.

Nah, his first self-titled album was fun, if not particularly technically competent.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
FF Legends don't count for nothing those be Saga games. Killing a Norse god with a party of a warrior a ninja a robot and a double werewolf is just silly

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Barudak posted:

You forgot the part where the main character's adopted big sister sends his and his friends' consciousnesses back in time to the minds of his dad and his two best friends, and that this power is the key to the future witch lady's plan to compress all of time into a single moment for ~*~reasons~*~.
The world of FF8 sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with while they're TOTALLY writing this GREAT book guys honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF8's largest problem is that it has like five too many plots going on while simultaniously having too bloated a cast. Laguna's entire thing basically has no reason to exist. Squall's entire backstory is like three degrees too convoluted for what they needed. The baffling thing is that it's ridiculously easy to fix a lot of FF8's problems and trim down the number of characters at the same time without changing any fundamental core part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Laguna's entire thing basically has no reason to exist.

Counterpoint: Laguna.