Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You all like bugs right? Ever wanted a remote control cockroach*?

*Cockroach not included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Will the deluxe edition come with a signed fedora?

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

*Cockroach not included.

I'm equal parts amazed by the ingenuity and disturbed by the application. I'll just continue to kill bugs I don't like and throw them in the bin.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I don't think the remote control cockroach belongs in this thread at all. Its actually pretty awesome. I'm sure it will get some people more interested in science.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
So how long until their research is halted by the government, a rift forms between the founders, one of them disappears off the face of the planet, and re-appears as a bug-based supervillain?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
"Super" is a bit of a stretch when you consider the range of Bluetooth. The best he could do is maybe seriously menace the other side of his room. I still think it's a neat idea and should be used to create an ultimate cockroach fighting league.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I wonder what PETA's response to this thing is

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't think the remote control cockroach belongs in this thread at all. Its actually pretty awesome. I'm sure it will get some people more interested in science.

Turning an animal into a toy is actually pretty vile and I'm not surprised their comments page has turned into a debate on ethics and animal rights.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Crashbee posted:

Turning an animal into a toy is actually pretty vile and I'm not surprised their comments page has turned into a debate on ethics and animal rights.

Yeah, I'm inherently kinda grossed out by it much more than something like frog dissections or the same thing being done in a lab as part of a wider experiment, but we should probably nip the debate in the bud in this thread since I can smell a big derail on the horizon

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Well we have reached the Trifecta!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141790329/araig-as-real-as-it-gets?ref=home_location

Now you can play in your human hamster ball while your body vibrates!

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fatkraken posted:

Yeah, I'm inherently kinda grossed out by it much more than something like frog dissections or the same thing being done in a lab as part of a wider experiment, but we should probably nip the debate in the bud in this thread since I can smell a big derail on the horizon

Not just that, where the hell would you find a "clean" cockroach? Also, where would you find a cockroach that big to comfortably support all that chassi other than in the subways and slums? Am I smelling a future kickstarter to fund the breeding of cockroaches? Is that what humanity has become?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ephphatha posted:

*Cockroach not included.

I didn't realize Zorg was on Kickstarter. :rolleyes:

I agree the ethics are questionable here; for science animal experimentation is acceptable but for pure fun? No.
That said, its really not any different than what the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp does regularly. Nature, you're a cold bitch.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jun 17, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, while the kickstarter itself isn't really awful, DoubleFine's Massive Chalice kickstarter has added support for pledging with bitcoins.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd like to believe Double Fine is just trolling. I have to believe.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

vxskud posted:

Well we have reached the Trifecta!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141790329/araig-as-real-as-it-gets?ref=home_location

Now you can play in your human hamster ball while your body vibrates!

So basically I'm fragging noobs in cod and some scrub tries to murk me and my arms get stimmed by the suit and I can't even fire back because my body is sperging out from this suite. I find this concept to be a massive disadvantage on the leader boards. It could be fun for single player though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

senrath posted:

So, while the kickstarter itself isn't really awful, DoubleFine's Massive Chalice kickstarter has added support for pledging with bitcoins.

You can take advantage of idiot nerds without being one yourself. I like to think that there are people who are True Believers who will give them bitcoins not because they want the game but because they think it will improve the uptake of bitcoins, and Doublefine know this and are using it to their advantage. There was a goon who sold gemstones for bitcoins a while back, as long as you cash out to real money quickly it's not the WORST way of getting money out of terrible nerds.

If anyone at doublefine is actually a bitcoin supporter that's pretty bad though.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Dunno if this counts but Planetary Annihilation is looking for more $$ on steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/233250/announcements/detail/1658730021561594175

For the low low price of $89.99, you can do the developers job for them by playtesting the game from alpha to finish whereupon other people will be able to buy it for $40.

b0red posted:

So basically I'm fragging noobs in cod and some scrub tries to murk me and my arms get stimmed by the suit and I can't even fire back because my body is sperging out from this suite. I find this concept to be a massive disadvantage on the leader boards. It could be fun for single player though.

I can see this as sorta fun though for casual play kinda like how the rumble pack was kinda fun to have for a few hours at a time before you realized how stupid it was.

OrganizedInsanity has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Jun 17, 2013

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Dunno if this counts but Planetary Annihilation is looking for more $$ on steam.

Access to Alpha was the 90$ kickstarter tier, they would screw their backers if they let people access it now for less. Obviously they should never have put this option on Steam, it was never going to end well, and i am amazed that nobody at the company realized that. But anyone actually outraged about this is an idiot

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

For the low low price of $89.99, you can do the developers job for them by playtesting the game from alpha to finish whereupon other people will be able to buy it for $40.

I think this game will be fun, hopefully it has a good multiplayer scene and the alpha stages hype it up with people talking about it. Still crazy to pay $90 for alpha and even crazier to pay $60 for beta.

I can see this as sorta fun though for casual play kinda like how the rumble pack was kinda fun to have for a few hours at a time before you realized how stupid it was.

Imagine dropping thousands of dollars into all this VR poo poo and spend a week playing all these games in VR and realize it's a huge gimmick.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you want people to test your game you give it away for free for testing. This is sort of like the 'open beta for customers' but with extra added :psyduck: .

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Oasx posted:

Access to Alpha was the 90$ kickstarter tier, they would screw their backers if they let people access it now for less. Obviously they should never have put this option on Steam, it was never going to end well, and i am amazed that nobody at the company realized that. But anyone actually outraged about this is an idiot

I know they're between a rock and a hard place but kickstarter is where you essentially get angel investors. To charge $90 on a pre-order for a company whose only other game is p2w is pretty outrageous considering "WarZ" tried that bullshit and Steam ended up pulling them because of that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

I know they're between a rock and a hard place but kickstarter is where you essentially get angel investors. To charge $90 on a pre-order for a company whose only other game is p2w is pretty outrageous considering "WarZ" tried that bullshit and Steam ended up pulling them because of that.

Well in the case of War Z it was the fact that their page on the Steam store had a whole list of features that weren't actually in the game at all and the developers consistently lied about it until it was taken down.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Well in the case of War Z it was the fact that their page on the Steam store had a whole list of features that weren't actually in the game at all and the developers consistently lied about it until it was taken down.

Totally can trust that all their promises on this game will be implemented.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

It's #3 on top sellers :stare:

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

If you want people to test your game you give it away for free for testing. This is sort of like the 'open beta for customers' but with extra added :psyduck: .

Why give something away for free when you can price gouge people while making them feel like they're contributing?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

senrath posted:

The Humble Indie Bundle has been accepting them for a while too, but considering that Linux neckbeards are some of their biggest contributors and part of their gimmick is appealing to the :tinfoil: crowd who hate Steam it makes a little more sense.

Admiral Heklar
May 2, 2012

Gate Camper

Oasx posted:

Game developers have a long history of monumental facepalm moments like this. The guys who are buying this on steam aren't like the guys form the kickstarter page, they bought it to support the development of a cool game and get some cool merch in the process, the guys crapping all over this on steam are just looking for a game to play and $90 is a hell of a price tage for an unfinished game in their eyes. I can see their p.o.v dont necessarily agree with it though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm amazed this sort of model is even allowed on Steam Early Access thing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Admiral Heklar posted:

Game developers have a long history of monumental facepalm moments like this. The guys who are buying this on steam aren't like the guys form the kickstarter page, they bought it to support the development of a cool game and get some cool merch in the process, the guys crapping all over this on steam are just looking for a game to play and $90 is a hell of a price tage for an unfinished game in their eyes. I can see their p.o.v dont necessarily agree with it though.

Kickstarter is where you donate to a project you want to see completed. The bonuses that are awarded are just that. The devs seem to have make the mistake of confusing donation value with purchase value. It is not worth 90 dollars for a customer to playtest your game, but it might be worth 90 dollars for a believer to get the same access.

When I saw that price I was kind of shocked, not knowing the background of the project. I thought we were finally moving away from games costing stupid amounts of money.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1489592731/storytellers-the-series

Youtube vlogger wants $100,000 to film a show, has ridicuouls rewards like:

$175 for a Skype call
$400 to be friended on facebook
$8000 to go to Disneyland with him
$10,000 for a speaking role

The thing is people are actually buying these rewards and 75% of the money is coming from the higher tiered stuff rather than sales of the web series itself.
I don't understand.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Gackt posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1489592731/storytellers-the-series

Youtube vlogger wants $100,000 to film a show, has ridicuouls rewards like:

$175 for a Skype call
$400 to be friended on facebook
$8000 to go to Disneyland with him
$10,000 for a speaking role

The thing is people are actually buying these rewards and 75% of the money is coming from the higher tiered stuff rather than sales of the web series itself.
I don't understand.

Nothing wrong with it but does Michael's picture look off? I can't tell if he's(?) wearing some wig or something...

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

Kickstarter is where you donate to a project you want to see completed. The bonuses that are awarded are just that. The devs seem to have make the mistake of confusing donation value with purchase value.

I think this has less to do with developers being confused about value and more to do with developers not wanting to piss off the people who paid $90 to their Kickstarter for early access. If they then turn around and give other people early access for less than $90, those backers would very justifiably be upset.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nothing wrong with it but does Michael's picture look off? I can't tell if he's(?) wearing some wig or something...

That's the Smiley guy? gently caress that poo poo.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

TTBF posted:

I think this has less to do with developers being confused about value and more to do with developers not wanting to piss off the people who paid $90 to their Kickstarter for early access. If they then turn around and give other people early access for less than $90, those backers would very justifiably be upset.

That's not how Kickstarter is supposed to be, but I guess that is how people see it. The donators did not spend 90 for the game, they donated 90 and just happened to get a 20-30 dollar value.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ArcaneTree posted:

It's #3 on top sellers :stare:

That seems crazy until you realize that the Top Sellers list is based on revenue and not number of copies. 1 sale of PA would be equal to 1.5 sales of a new $60 AAA game, 3 of a $30 game, 9 of a $10 game, so on and so on.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TTBF posted:

Just like how nobody sells tote bags for less than $50 for fear of pissing of NPR donors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
TJS: Destined To Be The Next Harry Potter!
Spoiler: it's not going to be the next Harry Potter. This guy reckons he's figured out the secret formula to writing the next big hit fantasy series and he's very carefully combined what he thinks are the necessary elements into his novels. For some reason it's really really important that his protagonists have as many :krad: kung fu moves as possible so his pitch includes a painstaking list of about 70 moves which will appear in the novels with individual links to descriptions & videos of all the moves.
He also goes on and on about how originality is absolutely key to the project's success but his characters and plotlines are all completely derivative. His pitch video is over 10 minutes long and is as boring as hell.

Although he's only just launched this project he's already raised $40 of his $60k project, which coincidentally is exactly how much he got the last time he pitched this project.

Oprah Winfrey The Movie - UnOfficial Title

quote:

The main question on everyone’s mind is: Who’s going to play Oprah? Once the project is successfully funded we plan on going about the task of casting members for the film, we have reached out to a couple known actresses that are willing to audition for the part. However, we are looking for the best-of-the-best actor to play this role.

We have devised a specific plan on filming. Since we have high standards when it comes to picture quality, sound and story-telling, we will be working with a great team of professionals (some friends) and I say this from the bottom of our heart they are amazing and they specialize in budget films. Some are former employees of LionsGate Entertainment. Thanks to our friendly connections over the years, you guys are great!
Things they definitely don't have: a title, any actors, Oprah's endorsement. Thing's I'm guessing they don't have: a script, a writer, a director. Their pitch video is serviceable if they were only trying to raise a couple hundred bucks but they've set their goal at $4.5 million.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jun 18, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just like how nobody sells tote bags for less than $50 for fear of pissing of NPR donors.
Like it or not people do regard kickstarter as a pre-order with bonuses. There'd be a donor shitstorm if they sold beta copies for less than the donors paid.

Yes that's not how it should work but that's immaterial to how people would react.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

TJS: Destined To Be The Next Harry Potter!
Spoiler: it's not going to be the next Harry Potter. This guy reckons he's figured out the secret formula to writing the next big hit fantasy series and he's very carefully combined what he thinks are the necessary elements into his novels. For some reason it's really really important that his protagonists have as many :krad: kung fu moves as possible so his pitch includes a painstaking list of about 70 moves which will appear in the novels with individual links to descriptions & videos of all the moves.
He also goes on and on about how originality is absolutely key to the project's success but his characters and plotlines are all completely derivative. His pitch video is over 10 minutes long and is as boring as hell.

Although he's only just launched this project he's already raised $40 of his $60k project, which coincidentally is exactly how much he got the last time he pitched this project.

Okay - rant time.

I keep seeing these loving campaigns being posted by "authors" who seem to have absolutely no loving clue how to write. I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes, or that I am a qualified grammar nazi, but for the love of loving GOD why can't these motherfuckers understand simple poo poo like run-on sentences and puntuation?

And gently caress ME SIDEWAYS - what's the deal with even LAUNCHING a campaign when you haven't even written the loving book yet? This dickhead has given us NOTHING. Not so much as a single page of the story to illustrate his writing style. All he's shown us is a shitload of animated.gifs of vastly more talented individuals doing what they are good at.

I could show you videos of parkour grand champions, that doesn't mean that my Parkour Pudding Treats snack idea is going to be a hit.

And what the gently caress is up with the character's names??? Nika and Cohen Laquez? Are you loving kidding me? Nika is a GREEK name, Cohen is a JEWISH name, and Laquez is the second person plural present indicative form of the French word for "To Lacquer"

And Xzaidian? Seriously? That's the name of your "bad guy?" I did a quick Google search and, aside from the obvious campaign related stuff, I found THIS. Curiously, that photo was posted mere *days* before the original (failed) campaign for the Jade Series. Was this guy just trolling along looking at baby pics and thought Hey that name is cool as gently caress.

End rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Here is a list of over 50 WICKED TRICK MOVE VIDEOS that I will reference in this BOOK.

The Book posted:

Steve does a TRIPLE BUTTERFLY TWIST.
AWESOME RIGHT?