Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Laserface posted:

not sure whether to ask here or the ipod thread but this seems to get more traffic.

SPEAKER DOCKS!

I want one for my outdoors activities. I have a Cygnett unison for indoors duties I am happy with.

REQUIREMENTS!
- Battery powered (either regular disposable batteries or built in rechargeable)
- bluetooth or some form of wireless connectivity
- doesnt sound like hot garbage

no budget, I like to keep things loose.

The Wirecutter just put up this recommendation today: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rugged-bluetooth-speaker/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Agree that a larger iPhone is a Bad Idea. These new lunch trays that samsung is passing off as phones are just horrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

These new lunch trays

That adjective is probably the best one I've come across so far, and I will start using it derogatively as much as possible.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

DarkJC posted:

Apple will do a battery replacement out of warranty for $79

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

So if you feel like holding onto your 4 for a while longer that's probably the best option. I'm sure there are 3rd party batteries you can order on sites like ebay and such and attempt to DIY replace it yourself but I'm not sure how easy it is to access.

The battery in the 4 and 4S is very easy to replace. You can buy an OEM battery and the two screwdrivers you'll need for 1/4 of what Apple is charging.
Guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4S+Battery/7111/1

I'd avoid iPhone4Parts.com if you can. I've had a bad experience with them. Try one of the merchants on Amazon or Newegg where you have recourse to seek replacement or refund for bad parts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Will Apple replace a phone under warranty with a bad screen that isn't cracked from a drop?

This phone gets a lot of phantom key presses, particularly in the bottom third of the screen. That of course makes the keyboard highly unreliable. The screen is a little scratched up in places, but there's no cracks.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Of course.

They'll make you do a restore first to ensure that it's not a software issue, but if you're able to replicate it enough in front of a genius then it should be a no hassle swap.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
You dropped the phone and its has a bad screen now, but its not cracked? Does it look like its been dropped?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlashBangBob posted:

You dropped the phone and its has a bad screen now, but its not cracked? Does it look like its been dropped?
no, it's got pretty typical minor wear around the bevels for a black iphone 5, but no major dings or whatever.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
You're fine, take it in and get a replacement. Back your stuff up first.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've posted before about my phone having dreadfully low volume while on a call. I've done multiple things to try to fix it, including restoring as a new phone, but none of them helped. Today I took it into the Apple store, and the Genius there confirmed the issue and told me he'd have to replace the phone, which would be $199. I figured that was going to happen, and even though they've been stricter since introducing Apple Care or whatever I was hoping I could get a hook up. No way in hell I'm going to spend $200 on a phone I'm probably going to be replacing in a few months.

Which leads me to: I know screen and battery replacements are possible to DIY, but has anyone replaced the ear speaker?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Was your phone out of warranty? Did it have water damage?

EDIT: Since you said the replacement cost was $199 I'm assuming it's a 4S, which would probably put it out of warranty then.

Honestly it's not really a bad deal to spend $200 and get a brand new unit, and then coddle it until the 5S is released, burn your upgrade, and sell your like-new 4S for the same $200 you paid for it.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 17, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah it was out of warranty, I got it the day the 4S was released. No water damage. This is a pretty bad time for me to be blowing $200 on a new phone, so I'm definitely not gonna do that.

Just curious if its something I'm going to have to live with or if I could fix it myself.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

EC posted:

Yeah it was out of warranty, I got it the day the 4S was released. No water damage. This is a pretty bad time for me to be blowing $200 on a new phone, so I'm definitely not gonna do that.

Just curious if its something I'm going to have to live with or if I could fix it myself.

If you've got a bluetooth headset laying around or the earphone/mic you can probably hobble along for awhile.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Will Apple replace a phone under warranty with a bad screen that isn't cracked from a drop?

This phone gets a lot of phantom key presses, particularly in the bottom third of the screen. That of course makes the keyboard highly unreliable. The screen is a little scratched up in places, but there's no cracks.

Like someone else said, they'll make you restore it. To save yourself time restore it yourself before you go and don't put any data on it.

They will have to reproduce the issue or else they won't do anything. Try to figure out exactly how to trigger it after the restore so you can show them how. First they'll try to replace the display itself. If that fails they'll replace the unit neither way it'll be free.

EC posted:

I've posted before about my phone having dreadfully low volume while on a call. I've done multiple things to try to fix it, including restoring as a new phone, but none of them helped. Today I took it into the Apple store, and the Genius there confirmed the issue and told me he'd have to replace the phone, which would be $199. I figured that was going to happen, and even though they've been stricter since introducing Apple Care or whatever I was hoping I could get a hook up. No way in hell I'm going to spend $200 on a phone I'm probably going to be replacing in a few months.

Which leads me to: I know screen and battery replacements are possible to DIY, but has anyone replaced the ear speaker?

The 4s receiver is technically a non-replaceable part, but you may be able to DIY it. Your best bet is to just use a Bluetooth headset or headphones during your calls. Hell, I only use headphones for calls.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

Like someone else said, they'll make you restore it. To save yourself time restore it yourself before you go and don't put any data on it.

They will have to reproduce the issue or else they won't do anything. Try to figure out exactly how to trigger it after the restore so you can show them how. First they'll try to replace the display itself. If that fails they'll replace the unit neither way it'll be free.
They'll really try to replace the display in-store? I thought they just swapped for things that major.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bawfuls posted:

They'll really try to replace the display in-store? I thought they just swapped for things that major.

It's new. Started more recently. And only for the 5.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for this. Not quite the size I was after as a larger one would probably suit my needs. the UE boombox looks like its suitable, and compared to the similar yamaha model, much louder with better quality sound.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So, I've learned a few things in the course of my phone adventures the past few weeks, and it feels like these ought to be in an OP somewhere, though I'm not sure what thread is appropriate because I think it applies to most smartphones and carriers. These things are all at minimum true of iPhones on AT&T.

• Phones can be blacklisted from a carrier based on serial number (aka IMEI number). A blacklisted phone will never work on that carrier until the original owner has it removed from the blacklist, regardless of what SIM card is put in it.
  • If you call AT&T (maybe other carriers too?) tech support, they will look up a phone's IMEI number for you and tell you if it's blacklisted on their network.
  • If you buy a phone off Craigslist/eBay, even if it is not blacklisted at the time you buy and activate it, the original owner can always call the carrier and have the phone blacklisted, claiming it was stolen. Your only potential recourse in this situation is a written bill of sale, and it presumably requires some legal wrangling
  • iPhone-specific: The front panel/screen on the iPhone 5 can be replaced, but is apparently very difficult to align/calibrate properly. 3rd party repair shops that do this are unreliable, and letting someone other than Apple repair the phone will void any existing warranty. Apple will replace the front panel on a phone that's out of warranty (or doesn't qualify, like if you dropped it) for $150.
  • If you are looking to buy a phone off Craigslist, the Apple store Genius Bar people will take a look at it and make sure it is in good working order for you, assuming you can get the seller to meet you at the store. They will open it up and check for water damage etc, of course you should make an appointment if you don't want to sit around the store all day.

Backstory: The phone I was inquiring about earlier on this page was one I bought on Craigslist. The guy had dropped it and gotten Best Buy to give him a new one through his insurance from them or whatever, but they never asked for the old phone back. So he had the screen replaced at some independent repair shop and was selling the old repaired phone. Well, turns out the new panel sucked and was misaligned, so there were frequent multi-touch issues making the phone borderline-unusable. I took it to an Apple store, and the Genius Bar dude was able to tell immediately that it was a bad repair job. He explained to me that Apple wouldn't replace the screen, even if I paid the out of warranty $150 price, because they won't work on any phone that's been repaired by anyone else. I was extremely lucky in that the Craigslist guy actually met me again and gave me my money back for his lovely phone.

Having established all that, it feels to me like buying a smartphone second-hand is an extremely risky proposition.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

We get that a lot. I work for an AASP in a mall, and downstairs is a kiosk that will replace screens on any phone (usually charging more than we would for a direct replacement for their model iphone). At least once a week we have someone who had their screen replaced at that shop, only to have something else go wrong with their phone (lock button usually but sometimes just complaining about their new screen). We see that it's not an OEM screen and we have to send them on their way or else get charged by apple for the full replacement cost of the phone.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Any thoughts on SquareTrade warranties for a new iPhone 5? Why should(n't) I go for their plan over Apple Care?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

Any thoughts on SquareTrade warranties for a new iPhone 5? Why should(n't) I go for their plan over Apple Care?
SquareTrade is very good, but if I remember correctly, there's not a whole lot of reason to get it over AppleCare+ unless you don't have an Apple Store near you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

SquareTrade is very good, but if I remember correctly, there's not a whole lot of reason to get it over AppleCare+ unless you don't have an Apple Store near you.

Even if you don't have an applestore near you, as long as you live in the US applecare offers mail-in service.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just a general iOS question here - I may be upgrading to a new iPad (iPad2 -> iPad3) soon; can I just do an iCloud restore on the new one to have all my apps+data and settings import as soon as I activate the new device?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Just a general iOS question here - I may be upgrading to a new iPad (iPad2 -> iPad3) soon; can I just do an iCloud restore on the new one to have all my apps+data and settings import as soon as I activate the new device?

Yup

E: maybe not saved data in games..

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Aatrek posted:

iCloud backup doesn't include local data like apps/music. It will however carry over all your settings, email, messages, photos, etc.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
drat. I really didn't want to have to beat Where's My Water all over again!

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Aatrek posted:

drat. I really didn't want to have to beat Where's My Water all over again!

Well, that particular game uses iCloud syncing (have to turn it on) so I don't think you'll lose that at least.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If the app supports iCloud syncing then it should be able to pull your progress from your GameCenter account, otherwise there's the jailbroken option of DataDeposit which backs up app save data using Dropbox.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well all your apps that you have on your current iPad at the time of the last iCloud backup will download themselves when you do the restore on your new one, but their data won't be restored.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

choobs posted:

Well, that particular game uses iCloud syncing (have to turn it on) so I don't think you'll lose that at least.

Oh, I'll have to investigate. Thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wait why wouldn't game data be included in a backup + restore? I thought it always has been.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that it was too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you do a restore it should have all your save data because that's kind of the point of it. Then it will download your apps and the save data will be there and you'll be good to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get a list of every app that is storing data in the Settings app, under iCloud->Storage & Backup->Manage Storage->Backups. If one of them is using a ton of space you can even disable the backup for them there.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
So I could use a bit of advice. My wife dropped her 4s today and shattered the screen. There's no way she can deal with the screen in the condition it's currently in. Here's the issue. We are both eligible for upgrades but was thinking we wait for whenever the new ones come out.

Would it be dumb to pull the trigger and burn our upgrades on a couple 5s right now or do we suck it up (possibly pay to replace the screen) and wait?

This upgrade cycle seems a bit longer than our last upgrade and I'm not sure how this would affect our upgrade cycle going forward. I'm also not thrilled about paying to fix a phone we are going to be tossing 4-5 months from now.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Well if you repair the 4S then you could still sell it after you upgrade later this year and recoup the cost of your repair.

Most likely the phone will sell for more than the $199 Apple will charge for an out of warranty replacement. You could also look into 3rd party repair options that might be cheaper than the Apple repair (but note that if it's a crappy job it could affect the resale value of the phone). The nice thing about the Apple replacement is that it would be an essentially new phone.

I wouldn't say it's dumb to buy a 5 now as it's a great phone and will still be great for a long time, but if you can afford to save your upgrade for later then you'll be one step ahead and you'll get the new shiny features as well.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Give Pat a Job posted:

So I could use a bit of advice. My wife dropped her 4s today and shattered the screen. There's no way she can deal with the screen in the condition it's currently in. Here's the issue. We are both eligible for upgrades but was thinking we wait for whenever the new ones come out.

Would it be dumb to pull the trigger and burn our upgrades on a couple 5s right now or do we suck it up (possibly pay to replace the screen) and wait?

This upgrade cycle seems a bit longer than our last upgrade and I'm not sure how this would affect our upgrade cycle going forward. I'm also not thrilled about paying to fix a phone we are going to be tossing 4-5 months from now.
Pay the $200 replacement fee. Sell your like-new 4S for 200-250 once the 5S comes out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the guy buying a new ipad, I would do an encrypted iTunes backup, and then restore from that. There is some keychain stuff that isn't in an iCloud backup, like passwords, and then you end up basically setting up those apps from scratch,

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was under the impression that iCloud backup doesn't save app data except when it does, but a backup and restore on a computer does all times. It's probably faster that way anyway since it won't have to download a bunch of apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Endless Mike posted:

I was under the impression that iCloud backup doesn't save app data except when it does, but a backup and restore on a computer does all times. It's probably faster that way anyway since it won't have to download a bunch of apps.

It'll save save games, etc, but it won't save anything requiring a login from my experience.

• Locked thread