Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jivjov posted:

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

It's so the order doesn't change as actions come and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

Down that road lies madness.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Down that road lies madness.

I just noticed I have an option with radio buttons for "yes" and "no" and neither of them are selected.

WHICH IS IT SA?!?! :argh: :choco:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Eh, my guess is on

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm hitting the ... Button all the time now as well. Wish it was less sensitive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

It's so the order doesn't change as actions come and go.

Ahh, okay, see that makes sense. Thanks :D

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Insane person spotted.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

IllegallySober posted:

I'm hitting the ... Button all the time now as well. Wish it was less sensitive.

In-case this is device-specific: I have not hit it once yet, and I use the app fairly heavily. This is on an ipad mini.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Veinless posted:

In-case this is device-specific: I have not hit it once yet, and I use the app fairly heavily. This is on an ipad mini.

iPhone 4, same here

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Iphone 4 and no problems with hitting the ... accidentally with my gorilla fingers.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Terminal Entropy posted:

Iphone 4 and no problems with hitting the ... accidentally with my gorilla fingers.

I normally scroll with my thumb which lands in the center of the screen. The only time I've run into this problem is if I'm laying down holding the phone sort of in both hands and scrolling with my index finger, which lands on the right side of the screen, in which case it happens pretty much constantly. (4s)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

soapgish posted:

The "Parent Forum," "Previous Posts," and "Scroll to End" buttons are dead on iOS 5.

Yup. I got your feedback just before the new version got through review, and I didn't want to hold it back. I know exactly what the problem is and it'll be fixed next version.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Are there any plans to fix the Leper's Colony? Whenever an entry has multiple paragraphs, an emoticon, or even italics, or anything else that isn't plain text, only the part at the end shows up. It's been like this for several versions, and I haven't seen anyone bring it up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

zergstain posted:

Are there any plans to fix the Leper's Colony?

Yes, in the sense that I know it's broken and why. (The descriptions can have any HTML in them, which I didn't know at first, and we're not parsing HTML there.) Won't be fixed for awhile though.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Not something I think needs to be addressed, but in case you hadn't seen it, some creative text formatting can spill over into other posts:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's actually awesome. :colbert:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
When my bookmarks are loading, they all have white on blue text for the unread count. Once they load, they go to orange and red (based on the color I've flagged them on the web).

Is there any way to make them blue? Am I bookmarking them wrong or something?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well the flagging is what is triggering the color changes. If you want all blue read counts then you need to disable the flagging on the web forums.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

Not something I think needs to be addressed, but in case you hadn't seen it, some creative text formatting can spill over into other posts:

Love it! Reminds me of this.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The parent forum / previous posts / scroll to end buttons don't work on my iPhone 4s iOS 5

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mlnhd posted:

The parent forum / previous posts / scroll to end buttons don't work on my iPhone 4s iOS 5

I'm on it!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I was browsing the next to last page of the D&D political images thread, and I get a consistent crash on that page only. Not sure what's different about that page, but other threads are working fine!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Emron posted:

I was browsing the next to last page of the D&D political images thread, and I get a consistent crash on that page only. Not sure what's different about that page, but other threads are working fine!

Yep, just confirmed this one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Emron posted:

Whoops! Thanks, on it!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Whoops! Thanks, on it!

Thanks. You are a ridiculously responsive dev.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I've been recently getting crashes on a lot of my bookmarked threads when I hit back and when I pull to refresh. Not every time, but pretty frequently. Before the last update even.

Still love the app though. Most used!

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Yes, in the sense that I know it's broken and why. (The descriptions can have any HTML in them, which I didn't know at first, and we're not parsing HTML there.) Won't be fixed for awhile though.

In other words it can't be handled the same way as text in posts? Now I'm curious as to why everything before the last tag gets chopped off.

There's also the issue of it sitting on a loading screen forever when a link leads to a "Special Message From Senor Lowtax". I'm not sure if that will be easier to fix though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

zergstain posted:

In other words it can't be handled the same way as text in posts? Now I'm curious as to why everything before the last tag gets chopped off.

There's also the issue of it sitting on a loading screen forever when a link leads to a "Special Message From Senor Lowtax". I'm not sure if that will be easier to fix though.

It could in theory be handled the same as posts. I thought the Leper's Colony was text only until after I finished it as you see it now, and I just haven't gone back to fix it yet.

The forever loading is bad, I do need to improve error handling.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Backstory:

1) I have Bookmarks as the Launch Tab.
2) I'm reading a long thread that I don't want to jump to the next unread. In this particular example, I got linked to page 20 of a 41-page LP, then went back to read from the start, so say I have page 7/41 up.
3) When I restart the app after whatever the timeout period is, it automatically jumps back to the bookmarks, losing my place in the thread.

Is there anyway to avoid that?

EDIT: iOS 6.1.3, iPhone 4S, Awful 1.11.5.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

ulmont posted:

Backstory:

1) I have Bookmarks as the Launch Tab.
2) I'm reading a long thread that I don't want to jump to the next unread. In this particular example, I got linked to page 20 of a 41-page LP, then went back to read from the start, so say I have page 7/41 up.
3) When I restart the app after whatever the timeout period is, it automatically jumps back to the bookmarks, losing my place in the thread.

Is there anyway to avoid that?

EDIT: iOS 6.1.3, iPhone 4S, Awful 1.11.5.

Could you use the 'mark read to here' feature? It is on the ... popup options. You could hit that on the last post you have read and when you return to the app (even if it was killed) should start that thread off at that post.

I don't use this feature too much so I could be wrong it how it works currently.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

syndex posted:

Could you use the 'mark read to here' feature? It is on the ... popup options. You could hit that on the last post you have read and when you return to the app (even if it was killed) should start that thread off at that post.

That works; thanks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
How do I have awful app use the correct yospos stylesheet (green) instead of the win95 one its using now? Thanks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Press the formatting icon ( two capital As ) while reading a YOSPOS post.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Cool. Thanks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

How do I have awful app use the correct yospos stylesheet (green) instead of the win95 one its using now? Thanks.
The win95 style sheet is amazing though; thank you for doing that neat thing with it pokeyman, it's a small thing, but I thought it was really cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Another question about awful app: How do I get it to always load previous posts so I don't have to press the previous posts button every time? Thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Another question about awful app: How do I get it to always load previous posts so I don't have to press the previous posts button every time? Thanks.

Memorize every post in every thread you've ever read.

(I took that feature out awhile ago, but it's been a popular request, so it may see a reappearance.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

The win95 style sheet is amazing though; thank you for doing that neat thing with it pokeyman, it's a small thing, but I thought it was really cool.

Direct your accolades to Mr. Diabolik900! And I agree they're much deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Memorize every post in every thread you've ever read.

(I took that feature out awhile ago, but it's been a popular request, so it may see a reappearance.)

Another option that might be good is when opening a thread w/ no new posts go to the bottom instead of staying @ the top.

• Locked thread