Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RentACop posted:

Who owns the starfleet command games? They need to get their asses on GoG. I wanna play the mythical third installment too

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were Interplay, and 3 was Activision, but at this point you'd need a separate license from CBS (the current Star Trek licenseholder) to make that happen, sort of like how they had to get Hasbro to sign off on the D&D games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RentACop posted:

Who owns the starfleet command games? They need to get their asses on GoG. I wanna play the mythical third installment too

I'd love to get those (mostly SFC2 with the Orion Pirates expansion), Klingon Academy, and the 25th Anniversary Game and Judgement Rights. :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nordic Games Weekend Promo.

If you like classic style adventure games then buy The Book of Unwritten Tales. Do it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

A funny idea I had brewing in my head is to build a late 90s gaming pc with parts you'd typically find from that era, such as Pentium IIIs and Voodoo graphics cards. I know gog tweaks the games to run on modern pcs but I'm kinda curious so see how they run on era-appropriate hardware. Don't get me wrong, alot of Gog games run just fine on my beefy gaming rig and my 5 year old laptop, but Interstate 76' still gives me issues and they don't have Carmaggedon II yet, which is a pain to get working on modern systems. Honestly though I just need an excuse to put my parts bin of old computer junk to good use, there's a Slot 1 Pentium III and a Voodoo graphics card just begging to be used.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Anyone here own Rayman Forever from GOG?

Supposedly it's a three-game compilation which includes Rayman, Rayman Designer and a 40-level pack designed by fans according to Wikipedia.

GOG makes no mention of it being a multi-game bundle-esque thing and since I already own Rayman for the PS1 and would only want Forever for the bonus content, I'd be slightly pissed if I bought the game and got none of the extra stuff.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Anyone here own Rayman Forever from GOG?

Supposedly it's a three-game compilation which includes Rayman, Rayman Designer and a 40-level pack designed by fans according to Wikipedia.

GOG makes no mention of it being a multi-game bundle-esque thing and since I already own Rayman for the PS1 and would only want Forever for the bonus content, I'd be slightly pissed if I bought the game and got none of the extra stuff.

They are included, there are checkboxes in the options for "Rayman", "Rayman Designer", and "Rayman by his Fans", and it adds separate desktop icons for each one.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Halibut Barn posted:

They are included, there are checkboxes in the options for "Rayman", "Rayman Designer", and "Rayman by his Fans", and it adds separate desktop icons for each one.

Excellent, going to pick that one up then real soon. I want to try the fiendishly difficult Designer for myself. :shepicide:

Thanks, man.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Starhawk64 posted:

A funny idea I had brewing in my head is to build a late 90s gaming pc with parts you'd typically find from that era, such as Pentium IIIs and Voodoo graphics cards. I know gog tweaks the games to run on modern pcs but I'm kinda curious so see how they run on era-appropriate hardware. Don't get me wrong, alot of Gog games run just fine on my beefy gaming rig and my 5 year old laptop, but Interstate 76' still gives me issues and they don't have Carmaggedon II yet, which is a pain to get working on modern systems. Honestly though I just need an excuse to put my parts bin of old computer junk to good use, there's a Slot 1 Pentium III and a Voodoo graphics card just begging to be used.

Have you tried installing Windows 95 in DosBox? Might be able to run Carmageddon 2 through that.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried installing Windows 95 in DosBox? Might be able to run Carmageddon 2 through that.
Wait, Windows 95 runs in DosBox now? Somehow I can't imagine that working because, unlike 3.11, it had its own file system driver, didn't it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PrBacterio posted:

Wait, Windows 95 runs in DosBox now? Somehow I can't imagine that working because, unlike 3.11, it had its own file system driver, didn't it?

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3120&letter=W

Works in anything from v0.73, apparently. There's a few tutorials floating around on how to get it running properly.

Dec 26, 2012

al-azad posted:

Nordic Games Weekend Promo.

If you like classic style adventure games then buy The Book of Unwritten Tales. Do it.

Also if you don't have Gothic 1 and 2 $4 each is a steal for them.

e: I guess they don't have 1, never mind. Well, there's 2, anyway.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 15, 2013

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm using virtual Win98 whenever I play C&C and Red Alert purely for the installing sequence - that's, like, 20% of the atmosphere gone in newer editions.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3120&letter=W

Works in anything from v0.73, apparently. There's a few tutorials floating around on how to get it running properly.

:stare: That's fantastic!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

01011001 posted:

Also if you don't have Gothic 1 and 2 $4 each is a steal for them.

e: I guess they don't have 1, never mind. Well, there's 2, anyway.

They do have Gothic 3 as well. Has that game ever become worth it or is it still the disappointment it was at launch?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I snagged Gothic 2, since I enjoyed Two Worlds and this seems similar. Anyone round here knows if I can/should play it out of the box or look into mods?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tin Tim posted:

I snagged Gothic 2, since I enjoyed Two Worlds and this seems similar. Anyone round here knows if I can/should play it out of the box or look into mods?

They are similar in the same way a happy go lucky and slightly dumb but in a funny way car thief is similar to a hulking obsessive axe murderer.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Randler posted:

They do have Gothic 3 as well. Has that game ever become worth it or is it still the disappointment it was at launch?

I think it's pretty good, especially with the community patch. Gothic 3's main problem at launch was terrible bugs and instability, which have since been fixed. There were some initial problems with the combat mechanics too which were since addressed. It still isn't quite as good in that respect as Gothic 1/2 though.

It's got a great world too--it's a huge open world-style game, but packed with content and not with lots of empty space like a lot of open world games do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Kins posted:

Fresh from the dark corners of the PS1 collection (where by all rights it probably should have stayed, but hey, it's not like the site's called GoodOldGames anymore!), it's Pandemonium 2 for six bucks.

(Depicted: The "Add To Cart" Button)

The Pandemonium games are rad. :colbert:

Dec 26, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Out of the box is fine. Just keep in mind that assuming you have NotR installed you are going to get wrecked by everything until you get a bit into the game. Raising your strength or dexterity (which allows you to get stronger melee/ranged weapons) and weapon proficiency (which is either your crit chance for melee or hit+crit chance for ranged) are priorities.

e: Remembered something else. If you're walking around and you think there are things in the vicinity (basically most times when you're in any sort of forest), be walking around with a ranged weapon out even if you don't have proficiency or whatever. Some really nasty poo poo is not very visible in certain areas and you're going to get stomped out of nowhere if you don't know it's coming. With ranged attacks it highlights enemies at a longer distance so you can steer clear.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Two Worlds is simple baby stuff compared to Gothic 2 Gold. Don't stray off the path and don't be afraid to check out a FAQ.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Just incase anyone hasn't heard - https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/346571089134092288

Free game on GoG tomorrow. What it will be, who knows? Witcher 1, maybe?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Kurtofan posted:

The Pandemonium games are rad. :colbert:

At least the first Pandemonium is anyway, which is also on GOG! So go hog wild.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Innerguard posted:

Just incase anyone hasn't heard - https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/346571089134092288

Free game on GoG tomorrow. What it will be, who knows? Witcher 1, maybe?
drat, I want to replay that now... and I haven't even played 2 yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
SUMMER SALE! 500+ games are half-price until July 5, plus daily 85%-off deals. Also, Torchlight 1 is free for 48 hours! Sweet jesus!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 18, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also new OSX GOGs:

:siren:System Shock 2:siren:, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Realms of Arkania 1+2, Return to Mysterious Island, Realms of the Haunting, Normality, Amerzone, Nox, Megarace 1+2, Atlantis 1, and Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

SUMMER SALE! 500+ games are half-price until July 5, plus daily 85%-off deals. Also, Torchlight 1 is free for 48 hours! Sweet jesus!

Oh gently caress me.
:shepspends:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Kins posted:

There's some free games too at the bottom of the list, including Ultima 4.

Pretty sure my bank account just cried out in pain.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

The Kins posted:

gently caress! Of course they do this just a couple days after I buy some stuff to gift to family members.

Anyway: Same rules apply as Steam sales folks. Daily deals could mean that something you buy at 50% off you could've gotten at 90% off, so wait until the end of the sale to see if anything you want pops up as a daily deal before buying.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Peas and Rice posted:

There's some free games too at the bottom of the list, including Ultima 4.
You get those games free by making a GOG account.

So I'm interested in getting Neverwinter Nights 2, but only for Mask of the Betrayer. I heard it's kind of hard to get into it gameplay-wise if you skip the vanilla campaign. Is there any guide that shows you a good build so I don't have to worry about screwing myself over?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 18, 2013

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

macnbc posted:

gently caress! Of course they do this just a couple days after I buy some stuff to gift to family members.

Anyway: Same rules apply as Steam sales folks. Daily deals could mean that something you buy at 50% off you could've gotten at 90% off, so wait until the end of the sale to see if anything you want pops up as a daily deal before buying.

Yeah! Don't pay $3 when you could get it for $1.50 or less! :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ok well this is the time I'm going to do to my GOG collection to what 2011's Steam Christmas sale did to my steam backlog. I'm going to max £50 and get everything I've been remotely interested in, grow my games list and then maybe play five of those in the next year or so. :shepspends:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bernardo Orel posted:

Hey, if you end up getting like 10 games or so that can add up.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What time every day do the deals switch over?
I own everything in their dungeon and dragons collection (except nwn2 because I own it on Steam). Is that one extra mod worth $3.99?

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
If you haven't played Alan Wake and / or American Nightmare, grab them. Yes, they have their flaws, but at that price it's a loving steal.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

mastervj posted:

If you haven't played Alan Wake and / or American Nightmare, grab them. Yes, they have their flaws, but at that price it's a loving steal.

Seconded. Alan Wake surprised the hell out of me with how good it was when I played it. American Nightmare is OK, but not nearly as great.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BadAstronaut posted:

What time every day do the deals switch over?
I own everything in their dungeon and dragons collection (except nwn2 because I own it on Steam). Is that one extra mod worth $3.99?

I think GOG deals change up in the morning about 8am EST.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Accordion Man posted:

You get those games free by making a GOG account.

So I'm interested in getting Neverwinter Nights 2, but only for Mask of the Betrayer. I heard it's kind of hard to get into it gameplay-wise if you skip the vanilla campaign. Is there any guide that shows you a good build so I don't have to worry about screwing myself over?

The game includes a bunch of premade characters and you can even let the game level the characters up for you. One of those characters will work just fine.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
For someone who has never played the Baldur's Gate games, is it better to purchase the GOG version of BG1 and run it with mods, or to play the Enhanced Edition?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I'm having a weird issue with Sensible Soccer 96/97, where it doesn't let me save modified custom teams. It gets to the "TEAMS HAVE BEEN MODIFIED, SAVE/ABORT" menu, and doesn't let me press the SAVE button. ABORT works fine though, but kinda defeats the purpose.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

For someone who has never played the Baldur's Gate games, is it better to purchase the GOG version of BG1 and run it with mods, or to play the Enhanced Edition?

If you plan to play Baldur's Gate 2, there are some neat mods that tie the two together and let you play both from one executable. (not sure if you want to get both right now) From my understanding, the non-Enhanced Edition copies work better with mods (you can run some mods in the Enhanced Edition, but not nearly as many, and there are some hoops to jump through because the game has a different directory set-up). Also, the Steam version of the Enhanced Edition is apparently several patches behind the Beamdog version. Just some food for thought.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

Thankfully, if today is any indication then bundles and the more expensive games are the ones going on daily sales.