Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

DJ_Ferret posted:

I did this thing today. Wasn't a magical grease remover, as I probably watered it down a bit much out of fear. It did remove a hell of a lot of grime, but it didn't sluice it off the way I'd hoped.

Additionally, I have crafted a kickstand extension for my freshly un-lowered KLR out of a LA Kings logo hockey puck (all Big 5 had in stock) using a dental scalpel and epoxy. I feel MacGyver as gently caress right now.

Edit: The puck is currently on my workbench, the epoxy will be used to attach it tomorrow. Adventures in unemployment means I have afternoons free to dick around with my motorcycle.

If you need to clean off a lot of caked on grease, the magic trick is hand cleaner (the paste stuff from AutoZone, etc.). Slather some without any water onto the grimy bits. Wait a minute or two. Hit the areas with a brush (like an old dish brush, bottle brush, etc.). Then rinse and be amazed.

HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tamir Lenk posted:

If you need to clean off a lot of caked on grease, the magic trick is hand cleaner (the paste stuff from AutoZone, etc.). Slather some without any water onto the grimy bits. Wait a minute or two. Hit the areas with a brush (like an old dish brush, bottle brush, etc.). Then rinse and be amazed.

HTH

gently caress yes thank you. I've got some much grime that I need to clean out. Gojo is awesome stuff.

JP Money posted:

Protip: Don't buy gojo but go buy the harbor freight poo poo if you can. It's cheaper and does the same thing. Substitute HF brand with any knockoff brand if you can.

I currently have the generic orange-water from O'Reilly Auto. Had no idea that Harbor Freight had their own, though. Sounds like a bargain.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 18, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Protip: Don't buy gojo but go buy the harbor freight poo poo if you can. It's cheaper and does the same thing. Substitute HF brand with any knockoff brand if you can.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Man, what a lovely commute today. Some fat gently caress on a Harley'd out Goldwing (seriously?) was blocking the splitting lane going like 5 mph because his fat rear end could barely keep his bike upright. He slammed on his brakes once causing me to emergency stop and smash my nuts against the tank. Great start to the day!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I use Dawn dish soap concentrate and it does the same thing as Gojo and the knockoff brands. :ssh:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Really? Fast Orange/Gojo/etc always seems to get more grime off for me than dish soap.

E: Or are you talking about for washing the bike?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

For washing both the bike and greasy hands, I use Pert Plus. It's some hardcore degreaser.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Do you slather it on there with a brush or dilute it a bit?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

JP Money posted:

Yes. No need for brand name stuff. I grabbed a couple tubes from the Dollar Store. Though the big tub at AutoZOne prices out about the same as the $1 tubes.

Seriously, though, this poo poo is like loving wizardry.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Do you slather it on there with a brush or dilute it a bit?

Do NOT dilute the stuff, that renders it to just regular degreaser.

The special results come from using a degreaser that sits in place for a while. So smear it onto the dirty bits with a chip brush, piece of cardboard, your donge, w/e. Let sit a bit and then go over the area with a scrub brush (any old nylon bristle dish brush works). Then rinse it off.

By sitting on the grime, the de-grease paste eats through the caked on poo poo and breaks it up for brushing after a minute or so. Otherwise, it's just degreaser that won't damage poo poo, corrode metals, etc.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Really? Fast Orange/Gojo/etc always seems to get more grime off for me than dish soap.

E: Or are you talking about for washing the bike?

Yes. Use in the bike (engine, etc.).

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is regular Simple Green okay, or will it destroy my paint or something?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MoraleHazard posted:

Is regular Simple Green okay, or will it destroy my paint or something?

Simple Green is fine. I used some Zepp degreaser on my bike last week that has stained the frame, rear shock, Reg/Rec, and a few other things. Pissed is not the word, eh, whatever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
^^^ Thank you. It was raining pretty hard on the way home from work today, so the urge to actually wash my bike has dissipated.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 19, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Saw some cool stuff today

Also, I have a bit of a delay tomorrow morning:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That sucks and also totally justifies my irrational hatred of drives that are not chain drive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This will take 45 minutes to fix, I brought almost everything I need.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

This will take 45 minutes to fix, I brought almost everything I need.

Any idea what caused it to break? At least there's no way for a belt to take out a crankcase in the process of going.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

That sucks and also totally justifies my irrational hatred of drives that are not chain drive.

Shaft drive supremacy, just be sure to sell it to some sucker before it fails...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Any idea what caused it to break? At least there's no way for a belt to take out a crankcase in the process of going.

Z3n posted:

I've never actually ridden a belt or shaft driven bike (I lie, but I don't think a flogged out cx400 running on 1 cylinder is any kind of reference). Do they feel any different in a way specific to the driveline?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Z3n posted:

It probably got a rock on it. I know a few guys with belt driven bikes and that's basically the only reason they've ever had to replace them - never actually had them wear out.

Slavvy posted:

I've never actually ridden a belt or shaft driven bike (I lie, but I don't think a flogged out cx400 running on 1 cylinder is any kind of reference). Do they feel any different in a way specific to the driveline?

As far as I know, nope.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Moto journalists seem to think shaft drives cause the bike to do funny things on acceleration, like stand up the rear suspension rather than squat down. The only shaft I've ever ridden :rimshot: is a guzzi v11 sport though, and I can't say I noticed anything like that. I think BMWs have some sort of linkage that counteracts the effect as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Moto journalists seem to think shaft drives cause the bike to do funny things on acceleration, like stand up the rear suspension rather than squat down. The only shaft I've ever ridden :rimshot: is a guzzi v11 sport though, and I can't say I noticed anything like that. I think BMWs have some sort of linkage that counteracts the effect as well.

There's a torque reaction that turns the bike left or right as you gain or lose speed - in days gone by this was exacerbated by the fact most bikes with shafts had inline cranks (i.e. the crank pointed fore-and-aft). Guzzi and BMW now both just have a reverser gear so the shaft spins in the opposite direction to the engine, which helps to counteract that quite a bit.

The back rising or falling under power is only on bikes with a transverse crank/gearbox (so parallel or inline engines) because the torque reaction from the linkage from gearbox to shaft pivots the shaft - most Japanese bikes with a shaft again use a reverser to ensure that makes the suspension rise (it doesn't actually rise, it just doesn't squat as much under acceleration as you'd expect).

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
We went from one of the worst nights, to one of the better days of the trip so far, camping in West Texas is a terrible idea, especially when storms are on the forecast, got so bad we had to drag the tent into the bathroom to ride out the storm, woke up at 5 in the morning, and rode hell for leather out of Texas. Oddly enough, as soon as we got to New Mexico, the weather cleared up, and the roads smoothed out.

We ran down to Carlsbad Caverns, since the girl had never been there, it continues to be the most awe inspiring natural phenomena that I have ever seen. After we hiked back out of the hole in the ground, we made our way up to Roswell to get a hotel room. Probably won't make it past Santa Fe today, because the alien museum doesn't open until 10, and I have not yet fulfilled my quota of ridiculous tourist trap stuff.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
'Yall.

Commuting on a bike owns so loving hard. WTF have I been doing this whole time?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

I came off a curb fully loaded and it just exited. Common problem with the Ulysses long swing arm and suspension travel.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
It seem the mirrors on my vstrom should be labelled with

"Objects in mirror are further than they appear."

When there's a car behind me at a stoplight, in my mirrors it looks like it's right on me, like I could reach back and touch their bumper. When I turn around and look, they're a good 2 yards away.

I'm not complaining, it just seems the reverse of the effect in all the cars I've driven..

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReverendCode posted:

We went from one of the worst nights, to one of the better days of the trip so far, camping in West Texas is a terrible idea, especially when storms are on the forecast, got so bad we had to drag the tent into the bathroom to ride out the storm, woke up at 5 in the morning, and rode hell for leather out of Texas. Oddly enough, as soon as we got to New Mexico, the weather cleared up, and the roads smoothed out.

We ran down to Carlsbad Caverns, since the girl had never been there, it continues to be the most awe inspiring natural phenomena that I have ever seen. After we hiked back out of the hole in the ground, we made our way up to Roswell to get a hotel room. Probably won't make it past Santa Fe today, because the alien museum doesn't open until 10, and I have not yet fulfilled my quota of ridiculous tourist trap stuff.

I wonder if you're staying at the same hotel I stayed at when I was there. Was doing a roadtrip (by car) with a German buddy of mine there two summers ago, also a bunch of ADV-type BMW riders staying there at the same time.

We decided to do a night on the town, so we walked over to the Roswell version of a TGI Friday's across the road for dinner and asked the waitress for the lowdown on the town. The Applebees was apparently the best bet, but I'd have none of that, so we went to the dive bar she mentioned. We had only gotten to Miller Lite #2 when a girl came up to us and said she normally knew everyone in there, and didn't recognize us. Second thing out of her mouth was "ya'll ain't married yet, are you?" Oh, small town America. There was some goony-looking kid getting slowly arrested for underage drinking in the corner that kind of harshed our mellow, so we bailed.

This was followed by going to the bowling-alley-by-day-nightclub-by-night, where I got hit on by the (male) owner, and said German buddy had to come to the rescue. We wound up walking like 5 miles back home because the German insisted that two white guys walking down the road at 3am in Roswell, NM should have no problem hitching a ride. The Germans are a trusting people.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Bruiser posted:

'Yall.

Sure beats a street sweeper eh? I have the biggest mancrush on you from that thread. I still hold it up as an example to friends as a reason for :10bux:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bruiser posted:

'Yall.

It. You've been doing it wrong.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Halo_4am posted:

a street sweeper

A whatnow?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

epalm posted:

A whatnow?

Hint: Bruisers avatar is a depiction of actual events.

EDIT: can't find the thread (poo poo, was it that long ago?), just google "bruiser street sweeper".

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 19, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Bruiser posted:

'Yall.

I get anxious as hell driving a car. You just can't see everything around you like on a bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

thylacine posted:

I get anxious as hell driving a car. You just can't see everything around you like on a bike.

That, and when you step on the gas, nothing really happens. In any car. :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

epalm posted:

That, and when you step on the gas, nothing really happens. In any car. :colbert:
To be fair, this is also the case on a Ninjette. :v:

:negative:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

thylacine posted:

Are you me? This is exactly why I hate driving. Fuckin' pillars :argh:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

M42 posted:

Are you me? This is exactly why I hate driving. Fuckin' pillars :argh:

That's some deal with newer cars I guess, I never had such a problem driving my old Volvo 240. New cars just put the drat A pillars right where you want to look - I think it started with that "cab forward" poo poo Chrysler came up with. Lately I've driven: a newer Ford Ranger, a Nissan Rogue and a 90s XJ (Cherokee.) XJ is fine, other ones suck.

Demo days at the Triumph/Victory dealer this weekend, hurrah. Gonna finally ride a sport bike, haven't done that yet.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

epalm posted:

Heh I had this realization this morning while riding into work for the first time in forever. Though its broken me for life I think, buddy bought a subaru wrx sti and was showing off the performance and I almost wanted to ask him if he could show me again, at WOT this time...

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

thylacine posted:

That's some deal with newer cars I guess, I never had such a problem driving my old Volvo 240. New cars just put the drat A pillars right where you want to look - I think it started with that "cab forward" poo poo Chrysler came up with. Lately I've driven: a newer Ford Ranger, a Nissan Rogue and a 90s XJ (Cherokee.) XJ is fine, other ones suck.

Demo days at the Triumph/Victory dealer this weekend, hurrah. Gonna finally ride a sport bike, haven't done that yet.

It's because of the latest trends in car designs, brought on by cars like the Audi TT, Mercedes CLS, and Chrysler 300m. Basically the side windows are like gun slits, and you feel like you're sitting way down low like in a bathtub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Well belts are always under tension so you should have less of a reaction when you get on/off the throttle. Buell belts have an idler for this, however its bearing can wear out which will result in decreased belt life.