Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I like git commit . :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zorn posted:

Never program a computer.

To be faired, the if statement thing isn't even my fault; I was taught that in an Intro C course offered in the computer engineering track at my university. So I assumed that was right even if it's not

You're kind of being a dick, though

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The first thing you learn when you leave the sacred grounds of the computer engineering area of your local university, is throw everything they taught you about programming out the window.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Yep. I don't know if it's like this at other universities, but at ours, the computer engineering department is always trying to one-up CS by saying "Look, we're hardware AAAAAND software!" and offer duplicate classes for just about everything, except that their core programming sequence is C++ instead of Java.

This doesn't change the fact that the students who come out of those classes and take CS electives can't program worth a drat. CEs can't teach proper programming or software design in my experience, and they have the tendency to (try to) prematurely optimize because they're thinking about the hardware too much instead of trusting the compiler.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dirk Pitt posted:

The first thing you learn when you leave the sacred grounds of the computer engineering area of your local university, is throw everything they taught you about programming out the window.

A friend of mine is taking a data structures course in computer engineering, taught using c++. They apparently aren't allowed to use subscript notation (as in a[x]), ever. They must use *(a + x) always. I have no idea why.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Probably the same reason CS profs love to teach the intro sequence in Haskell.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

HappyHippo posted:

A friend of mine is taking a data structures course in computer engineering, taught using c++. They apparently aren't allowed to use subscript notation (as in a[x]), ever. They must use *(a + x) always. I have no idea why.

Just a guess, but maybe the professor feels that makes the "offset from memory address" idea of array access more clear for computer engineers?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

I like to think that this involves some smart rear end student and operator overloading.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
And today I learned that c++ lets you overload the array operator.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

I like to think that this involves some smart rear end student and operator overloading.

You can also overload the dereference operator. I hope the same hypothetical smart rear end thought to do that, too.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I use git add -p and also git add . (for new files). I should probably do git add -p . for those.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

And today I learned that c++ lets you overload the array operator.

That's how you have datastructures like sets and maps and hash tables in the standard library that work with [].

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

contrapants posted:

You can also overload the dereference operator. I hope the same hypothetical smart rear end thought to do that, too.

That's used reasonably all over the place (iterators, shared_ptr, etc.). The real horror is overriding operator && or operator ,.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

There are use-cases for all of the operators that are able to be overloaded. Use them when they make sense and don't use them when they don't.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The comma operator? I wanna hear this.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

GrumpyDoctor posted:

The comma operator? I wanna hear this.

Boost.Phoenix uses them as expression/statement separators. They are also used in several libraries (I.E. Eigen) as a means to do initialization of objects. These are both relatively popular libraries with criticisms [of these particular aspects] being primarily philosophical.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Has anybody ever been able to use the non-overloaded comma operator?

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

The only time I think I've ever used the actual comma operator is as a part of for, either for initializing multiple objects, or for the step operation when I want more than one thing to be done. Edit: Also inside of weird macros where I want the expanded result to be an expression.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's pretty common in for loops.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Flobbster posted:

CEs can't teach proper programming or software design in my experience, and they have the tendency to (try to) prematurely optimize because they're thinking about the hardware too much instead of trusting the compiler.
Speaking as a CE, compilers over the years have given me plenty of reasons not to trust them. We have a problem right now at work where some code that has worked perfectly everywhere for years now fails when built at one particular site with one particular version of g++. But if you turn off the optimization flag it works OK.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Presto posted:

Speaking as a CE, compilers over the years have given me plenty of reasons not to trust them. We have a problem right now at work where some code that has worked perfectly everywhere for years now fails when built at one particular site with one particular version of g++. But if you turn off the optimization flag it works OK.

"The compiler has a bug where it generates faulty code in this case" does not lead to "The compiler can't be trusted ever so I should try to optimize my code by hand instead of letting the compiler apply decades of experience and heuristics". I've had to deal with my share of gcc bugs myself, but there's no excuse for the poor quality code I've seen in code from CEs (not you specifically, of course) where it was obvious that they thought they needed to do the compiler's job for it.

vvv also this

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 18, 2013

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Presto posted:

:allears:

There is another reason why your code might fail mysteriously under different optimizations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Presto posted:

Sounds like you have some ~undefined behavior~

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

b0lt posted:

Sounds like you have some ~fun-defined behavior~

I prefer to think of it like this :yayclod:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For real, if your code doesn't work and the first explanation you think of is "the compiler/operating system/CPU has a bug", you're almost certainly wrong, at least for mainstream compilers (embedded compilers are a whole 'nother story). Even if you are right, the correct response is to come up with a minimal test case that reproduces the bug (you'll often find the bug in your code in the process of creating this) and reporting it - "the compiler compiles this wrong" is rare enough that compiler developers are pretty good at working on a fix when it does happen.

I say this as someone who's seen their fair share of compiler, OS and CPU bugs.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

b0lt posted:

Sounds like you have some ~undefined behavior~

The good news is that it's 3rd-party code, so if it's broken I take no responsibility. :angel:

But I'm still pretty sure it's g++ loving up again. I've had problems with the optimizer before in an older version where it decided a comparison was not needed when it quite obviously was. (And no, it wasn't ~undefined behavior~.)

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Presto posted:

The good news is that it's 3rd-party code, so if it's broken I take no responsibility. :angel:

But I'm still pretty sure it's g++ loving up again. I've had problems with the optimizer before in an older version where it decided a comparison was not needed when it quite obviously was. (And no, it wasn't ~undefined behavior~.)

It's not unheard of for an optimization to screw up, though if it's eliminating a comparison I have to ask -- was the code dealing with threads? There are some "bad" idioms dealing with threads that are still probably commonly used but that inadvertently rely on undefined behavior (specifically people relying on volatile to do more than what the standard actually says). A comparison not being performed when a programmer expects that it would could definitely be a symptom of this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would be very surprised if the optimizer thought that it could remove a comparison when it couldn't - the only time I can think of when it would do that is if the value of something was changing, yet the compiler thought it was constant (at last in that section). So bad threading or an aliasing violation, both of which are firmly in Undefined Behavior Land.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh, and another option is that if you dereference something before checking that it's null, the optimizer can and will remove the null check. Even if the dereference itself is removed by a later optimization pass, it's still fine to remove the null check, because you were in Undefined Behavior Land as soon as that null pointer deference would have happened in the program-as-written.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Or signed overflow.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Or somebody forgot to return and the optimization changed what happened to be on the stack.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

That Turkey Story posted:

It's not unheard of for an optimization to screw up, though if it's eliminating a comparison I have to ask -- was the code dealing with threads? There are some "bad" idioms dealing with threads that are still probably commonly used but that inadvertently rely on undefined behavior (specifically people relying on volatile to do more than what the standard actually says). A comparison not being performed when a programmer expects that it would could definitely be a symptom of this.

Nope, this was something very simple in a single-threaded app. It was 1. compute new_sum; 2. if (new_sum != old_sum) { do stuff } else { never mind }

The 'if' was getting totally ignored. If you put any additional reference to new_sum in the code, like printing it out, then it worked correctly again. I ended up making new_sum volatile. I think the next gcc revision fixed it (this was somewhere early in the 4.x series I believe) and later the code got rewritten anyway.

I've been unlucky with this kind of stuff throughout my career. One time we had code on a DSP that was failing inexplicably, and we chased our tails for a good while until one of the developers figured out a reproducible case, which got sent to our vendor, who pared the case down further to a couple machine instructions and sent it to the chip manufacturer, who said, "Oh yeah, that's a bug in the processor". This is why I'm old and bitter and distrust all software and hardware. :corsair:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like undefined behavior somewhere in the code that generates new_sum. Compiler vendors often make their optimizers less aggressive if lots of people complain that their code uses undefined behavior and the optimization makes it do something they don't want.

It doesn't actually solve the problem, and that undefined behavior is still there waiting to break something else later, but I guess it shuts up the complainers.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's kindof pointless to speculate. Compiler bugs do happen, as do hardware bugs. The fact that it disappeared in a later release doesn't tell you anything about whether it was a compiler bug; the number of things that regularly change between compiler releases and which can perturb whether a bug is exposed is pretty drat high. All we know is that it was somehow dependent on being kept live in memory vs. a register.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

We can still post about stupid code here right?

This is a rather common "pattern" in one of the homebrew programs we use.
code:
sub children {
	my $self = shift;

return unless defined $self->{'children'};
	return $self->{'children'};

}
For those that don't know perl, the first return statement returns perls 'undef' value (roughly equivalent to null in C++) if the attribute is undefined, but an undefined attribute has the value 'undef' anyway.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Except in list context, where it will return an empty list instead.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

True, but drat near everything in that codebase uses list/hash references so it's always called in scalar context.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dirk Pitt posted:

If it's the first thing then why do I keep running into CEs and EEs who haven't learned?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Probably the same reason people continually run into CS majors and autodidacts that haven't learned. Good grief, there are people out there who use linked lists "for performance", people who push object oriented design patterns for Bash scripting, etc. Lunacy is an equal-opportunity employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Probably the same reason people continually run into CS majors and autodidacts that haven't learned. Good grief, there are people out there who use linked lists "for performance", people who push object oriented design patterns for Bash scripting, etc. Lunacy is an equal-opportunity employer.

No, people with my background are superior to all others because they're like me.

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 20, 2013