Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Nition posted:

He even got someone to write a newspaper article about him and his previous game Wavelogy: http://ticker.baruchconnect.com/article/baruch-students-games-cross-platform

You can download Wavelogy here: http://gamejolt.com/games/sports/wavelogy/10852
I tried to play it but I only saw a blank screen. I guess I probably have a lot of viruses now.

Edit: The name was more retarded than I first assumed. Corrected "Waveology" to "Wavelogy".

Jesus this is exactly what's wrong with so many indie game developers. This guy has made four games in his lifetime and he's already working on his business strategy. What the hell :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Jesus this is exactly what's wrong with so many indie game developers. This guy has made four games in his lifetime and he's already working on his business strategy. What the hell :(

Four successful games. :smug:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Step one should be "make games that don't look like loving rear end". I mean I could make something better looking in an afternoon and I'm not exactly a rockstar.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, but how's the gameplay. It was designed to be a game that you PLAY not look at. Heh. :smug:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I also especially liked how he "frequently" visits Google HQ "for questions and assistance."

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

quote:

“It means I’ve done a good job if [the player] doesn’t know what’s going on to make the game work,” he said.
Fair enough, obfuscated game mechanics can certainly add to the charm but it doesn't count if your game is poo poo.

quote:

“I try to make the games offer unique features,” said Aquino. “They are made for the user.”
NO YOU loving DON'T

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Did XboxPants ever receive his limited edition Ouya and extra controllers?

And is he still glad that they didn't take the GameStick approach of delaying the launch for two months, and instead just lied to everyone over and over again since April?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nition posted:

I also especially liked how he "frequently" visits Google HQ "for questions and assistance."

No one tell him you can ask Google questions over the internet.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I can only imagine the employees at Google groaning and sending the interns/work experience kids to listen to that guy yammer on about his poo poo game whenever he shows up at the place.

It sucks when people get awful products validated by local media because said local media is utterly clueless. Do these guys want another MDickie to happen!?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SynthOrange posted:

No one tell him you can ask Google questions over the internet.

Questions such as "redtube"

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Nition posted:

I'm pretty sure Google HQ has detectors at the front to prevent lovely programmers from even getting onto the campus

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

I'm pretty sure Google HQ has detectors at the front to prevent lovely programmers from even getting onto the campus

It actually has a Sphinx who will ask you a tricky Computer Science Question and eats you if you get it wrong.

It usually hides in the Shade.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I would never have expected to be almost angry at an article about the YOYO, but here it is. A popular French paper magazine about science and geek stuff has published half a page about it in their "new tech" pages.

Among the countless bullshit found in the article:

- The OUYA costs 80€ (while most Europeans are currently paying much more than 100$ due to import taxes, and I don't even think it can be purchased locally in a store here).
- It was created by people who wanted to design the first "open-source" console with a free devkit, completely ignoring the countless already existing ones.
- All games are free (not free to try; free). You only could have to pay for additional stuff like more levels or weapons.
- It's natively a media center that can read content from other devices connected via wifi.
- It can be fully reprogrammed as encouraged by the OUYA team.
- It's the ideal gift for a geek

I blame the utter incompetence of the journalist coupled with the flawless marketing spin initiated by Julie and her team of PR professional bullshitters.

I'm pretty sure it's already the mainstream view about that console anyway and I sincerely hope that this article will further increase the ranks of the people who become instantly and severely disappointed when they first put their hands on that stupid cube.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 18, 2013

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Hymirvetr posted:

It actually has a Sphinx who will ask you a tricky Computer Science Question and eats you if you get it wrong.

PCAL

Does anyone think any ouya programmers know what that acronym represents? I sure don't!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm pretty sure it's already the mainstream view about that console anyway and I sincerely hope that this article will further increase the ranks of the people who become instantly and severely disappointed when they first put their hands on that stupid cube.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the mainstream to give less of a gently caress about OUYA, everyone's waiting for their XBox One/Playstation 4.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sounds like Xboxpants has taken his skills worldwide.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I would never have expected to be almost angry at an article about the YOYO, but here it is. A popular French paper magazine about science and geek stuff has published half a page about it in their "new tech" pages.

Among the countless bullshit found in the article:

- The OUYA costs 80€ (while most Europeans are currently paying much more than 100$ due to import taxes, and I don't even think it can be purchased locally in a store here).
- It was created by people who wanted to design the first "open-source" console with a free devkit, completely ignoring the countless already existing ones.
- All games are free (not free to try; free). You only could have to pay for additional stuff like more levels or weapons.
- It's natively a media center that can read content from other devices connected via wifi.
- It can be fully reprogrammed as encouraged by the OUYA team.
- It's the ideal gift for a geek

I blame the utter incompetence of the journalist coupled with the flawless marketing spin initiated by Julie and her team of PR professional bullshitters.

European Tech/Game Reviews are the single worst tech/games related journalists.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

quote:

He is also a frequent visitor of Google’s nearby headquarters for questions and assistance. “It means I’ve done a good job if [the player] doesn’t know what’s going on to make the game work,” he said.

What.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Apart from the broad brush condemnation of a publishing industry that spans multiple countries, you could have pointed out that lifestyle magazines don't tend to retain the kind of incisive technological mind that the internet forum 'somethingawful.com' manages to effortlessly retain. But we went with 'Europe sux hu huh'.

Nice work.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That alsutton geezer has shown his face on /r/Ouya, prompted by this post which pointed out that not having a recovery option flies in the face of their claims to being hackable. And he and is doing a sterling job of putting even more people off buying this crap.

quote:

My personal view (that's mine, not OUYAs) is that you don't NEED to be able to boot to recovery, you LIKE access to it. A number of people have managed to make their device unbootable with just root access by experimenting with things like compiling new kernels, then expect OUYA to fix them. Personally I think this is a bit unreasonable (if you started changing parts of the engine in a car and it broke down would you go back to the dealership?)

Well, he's right. Recovery isn't essential, and you can't just go jabbing your Ouya with a screwdriver and then sending it in for repair.

Except the KS page says:

quote:

Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Hey guys we made it easy to root, but if you actually do anything using that root access and it breaks, well, you're an idiot. Sure we could build a recovery mode so we didn't get thousands of RMAs from people who've bricked it, but you don't absolutely NEED to have that.

His posts have now been deleted.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

His posts have now been deleted.

I'm glad I read them before. It was really entertaining to watch him destroy OUYA's "open console" image one post after an another, and asking people to stop bothering them about their bricked consoles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
EDIT: Nvm.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

He is also a frequent visitor of Google’s nearby headquarters for questions and assistance.

Oh, and what insightful answers he gets, such as "Sir, you don't have clearance to be here," "I have no idea who you are," and "I'm going to have to call security."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hymirvetr posted:

His name is Guido! :colbert:

Dec 26, 2012

Mechanical opaqueness is the new indie revolution.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

With the exception of Videogamer.com. But then again I doubt the Brits consider themselves part of Europe.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm glad I read them before. It was really entertaining to watch him destroy OUYA's "open console" image one post after an another, and asking people to stop bothering them about their bricked consoles.

After-action report from Mr. Sutton

Al Sutton posted:

Afaik reddits up and down votes are little more than a popularity contest, so if a community gets directed to a reddit entry and an opposing view is posted that opposing view can be voted out of visibility irrespective of how factually correct it is.

The voting out of visibility seems a big problem to me. If, *for example, there is a community of 20 or 30 people who want a feature in a product, some start claiming the feature was promised, and then someone comes and asks where it was promised, the request proof can get voted out of visibility, leaving only the claims about the promise visible, making casual readers incorrectly think that a promise was made and has been broken, rather than showing that nobody has been able to provide proof of where the promise has been made.*

This type of skewed misrepresentation has made me decide to pull all my comments from it. I'd rather contribute to something that promotes a popular opinion in a group over factual accuracy, because, to me, that's a path to a lot of misunderstandings.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

His name is Guido! :colbert:

He's at Dropbox nowadays, actually.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
That's a lot of words to say "Reddit is a dumb hugbox."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hell, reddit's a festering pile of poo poo, but this guy's a real piece of work.

I like how he's really just whining about people legitimately complaining about recovery mode and hackability on the OUYA. It's not really about reddit, it's about him skirting responsibility.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

I'd rather contribute to something that promotes a popular opinion in a group over factual accuracy, because, to me, that's a path to a lot of misunderstandings.

:wtc: Yep factual accuracy is clearly worse than popular opinion, this is definitely how society keeps in order

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

One of these are broken.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

:wtc: Yep factual accuracy is clearly worse than popular opinion, this is definitely how society keeps in order

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times before it sunk in. What the hell?

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Siljmonster posted:

One of these are broken.

The toaster?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aweful Dreams posted:

The toaster?

Which one? :smuggo:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aweful Dreams posted:

The toaster?

He meant broken as a console, they all work flawlessly as toasters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Siljmonster posted:

One of these are broken.

You're supposed to take the plastic off.

EDIT: I mean the protective plastic film with air bubbles making everything look terrible, not the tops of the cases.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

One of these are broken.

Why do you have so many ouyas.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bruceski posted:

You're supposed to take the plastic off.

EDIT: I mean the protective plastic film with air bubbles making everything look terrible, not the tops of the cases.

Taking off the top of the case might not be such a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Siljmonster posted:

One of these are broken.

Where did this come from? What's the story here? Can't just drop a pic like that and walk away! :confused:

• Locked thread