Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sunday: 5 gallon raspberry wheat beer. 5lb of wheat extract + US-05, and then like 4lb of raspberries in secondary.

:getin:

Gonna need this recipe like ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sunday: 5 gallon raspberry wheat beer. 5lb of wheat extract + US-05, and then like 4lb of raspberries in secondary.

:getin:

You gonna pick your own raspberries? I'd wait for season and use the PYO ones, itll just be a couple weeks now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I was doing an INCREDIBLY simple recipe.
5lb of Wheat DME
2oz of Fuggles hitting about 15-20IBUs
US-05 fermented at about 64°

Once it is done I'd rack it on top of 4lb of frozen raspberries (probably just buying frozen ones at the grocery) and wait about a week before crashing it.
I will put some pectic enzyme and acid blend in there too. (Maybe about 1/2 a teaspoon of acid blend? Really not much)

I did a 2.5gallon test batch almost exactly scaled down from this and it was amazingly delicious. It is obviously very light in alcohol (and body) and was really a sit out side and drink 2 or 3 because you didn't realize you had finished it so fast type of beer.
The #s I used in the test batch was 0.75lb of raspberries per gallon but I figured I'd 'round up' to 4lb from 3.75.
That worked out to a definitely raspberry-ey beer without being too tart or overwhelming. It definitely overpowers most of the wheat beer flavors, but is muted by them at the same time? Dunno, its basically my summer beer instead of making a cream ale or something similar.

@Mashmallow I will definitely do that actually...just in the NEXT brew of this. I have a house warming party coming up that I need this batch for :)

I am also considering doing that boil with a bit of DME method that someone mentioned in the past couple of pages, but figure for at least this go it was so tasty that I might as well just re-do my process.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 18, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You gonna pick your own raspberries? I'd wait for season and use the PYO ones, itll just be a couple weeks now.

Good to know. I'm dying to use raspberries but they're insanely expensive around me, even frozen.

Has anyone had good results using those fruit extracts they sell at homebrew shops? Or any not-actually-fruit alternative. The ones I've had at brewpubs and commercially usually taste grossly artificial.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
My Cherry Chocolate Porter is all carbed up, and I'm underwhelmed. The taste is slightly sweet, but not cherry-like at all. The chocolate is definitely there, but at best it's like someone waved a single cherry near the fermenter for a couple seconds. The beer is good otherwise (similar to Young's Double Chocolate), its just disappointing to spend $15 on something that you can't even taste.

Maybe I'll dry "hop" with some fresh cherries in the serving keg.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fullroundaction posted:

taste grossly artificial.

That is my experience. Luckily it was light enough that the beer was still more than drinkable, but man, no thanks on using the extract again.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Good to know. I'm dying to use raspberries but they're insanely expensive around me, even frozen.

Has anyone had good results using those fruit extracts they sell at homebrew shops? Or any not-actually-fruit alternative. The ones I've had at brewpubs and commercially usually taste grossly artificial.

Is there a pick your own farm in your area that does raspberries? They could be expensive because they need to be shipped in.

@Raging I added 2 raspberries to each bottle (12oz) of my strawberry raspberry mead and it gave it a nice tartness without overpowering it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

RagingBoner posted:

It's going to ferment again if you do that. Which is not a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not like adding hops, so you'll have to be prepared for the additional working.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Jo3sh posted:

It's going to ferment again if you do that. Which is not a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not like adding hops, so you'll have to be prepared for the additional working.

I've added campden and potassium sorbate, will it still restart fermentation?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

RagingBoner posted:

I've added campden and potassium sorbate, will it still restart fermentation?

shouldn't, that's the process for back-sweetening mead and I haven't had a bottle blow up in my hands yet

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
In that case, probably not. Doubly so because it is presumably being stored cold. It could still happen, but knowing that I kinda doubt it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Speaking of back sweetening, I'm going to be campden/sorbating a small batch of peach melomel I have soon that still has a pretty thick cake on the bottom. Should I rack it first and then add the chemicals or just add them directly to primary and rack after a few days? I'm assuming it doesn't matter, I just want to get rid of as much yeast as possible in as few moves as possible.

Also when using honey what's a good amount to add in for backsweetening a 1 gallon batch? I know it's subjective, I'm just not sure where to even start (or how to get it mixed in).

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Speaking of back sweetening, I'm going to be campden/sorbating a small batch of peach melomel I have soon that still has a pretty thick cake on the bottom. Should I rack it first and then add the chemicals or just add them directly to primary and rack after a few days? I'm assuming it doesn't matter, I just want to get rid of as much yeast as possible in as few moves as possible.

Also when using honey what's a good amount to add in for backsweetening a 1 gallon batch? I know it's subjective, I'm just not sure where to even start (or how to get it mixed in).

Rack it off the yeast then add the chems. I just add some honey to a soda bottle with enough warm water to get it dissolved and add it in. taste it after a mix, and add again if necessary. Last time I used less than a 1/4 pound and it turned out plenty sweet enough. It really is a guess and check kind of thing.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Did my first AG brew on Saturday, single infusion, no mash out. Had a few hiccups here and there, but generally enjoyed the process much better than extract. My biggest concern is that I way undershot my OG (Est OG was 1.087, wound up being 1.068) but I'm pretty sure I messed up during my mash by resting too cold (148, instead of 154) and sparging by leaving the top off and effectively letting all the heat escape. I also probably didn't lauter long enough, and left some sugar juice in the tun after I reached my boil volume.

3 questions. Should I be stirring every 20 minutes or so during my rests? How important is it to mash out? If I do mash outs, should I be stirring all that grain up again and destroy my grain bed before sparging? (this doesn't seem right to me)

I feel like I'm missing something really rudimentary here.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RagingBoner posted:

My Cherry Chocolate Porter is all carbed up, and I'm underwhelmed. The taste is slightly sweet, but not cherry-like at all. The chocolate is definitely there, but at best it's like someone waved a single cherry near the fermenter for a couple seconds. The beer is good otherwise (similar to Young's Double Chocolate), its just disappointing to spend $15 on something that you can't even taste.

Chocolate is a much stronger flavor than cherry. Jamil suggests acid blend to bring the cherry out in the same recipe type.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Rack it off the yeast then add the chems. I just add some honey to a soda bottle with enough warm water to get it dissolved and add it in. taste it after a mix, and add again if necessary. Last time I used less than a 1/4 pound and it turned out plenty sweet enough. It really is a guess and check kind of thing.

Cool thanks, will do.

hellfaucet posted:

Did my first AG brew on Saturday, single infusion, no mash out. Had a few hiccups here and there, but generally enjoyed the process much better than extract. My biggest concern is that I way undershot my OG (Est OG was 1.087, wound up being 1.068) but I'm pretty sure I messed up during my mash by resting too cold (148, instead of 154) and sparging by leaving the top off and effectively letting all the heat escape. I also probably didn't lauter long enough, and left some sugar juice in the tun after I reached my boil volume.

3 questions. Should I be stirring every 20 minutes or so during my rests? How important is it to mash out? If I do mash outs, should I be stirring all that grain up again and destroy my grain bed before sparging? (this doesn't seem right to me)

I feel like I'm missing something really rudimentary here.

A 148 rest instead of 154 won't really affect your OG so much as it will affect the fermentability of your wort.

1. Don't stir, you want the grainbed to be as settled as possible towards the bottom or you could very easily end up with a stuck sparge/runoff. If you want to stir right at the end to get all of the remaining wort trapped in the grains that's fine though.

2. Good question. I understand the process (on paper), and since it's a part of almost every brewery's process I'd have to imagine it IS important, but I'd like to see some experiment data testing gravities without it.

3. No, see 1.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Roundboy posted:

Anyone have experience with chai?

Seeing the stiff people rave about in SA mart has me thinking of brewing up a milk stout ,and adding it in

Friends brew with it,but I find their efforts lacking body and taste, being mostly smell. A milk stout with added lactose seems the perfect base
Rogness Brewing, near Austin, does a Chai beer. I found the taste to be incredibly overpowering and basically undrinkable, in spite of the fact that I really enjoy Chai. Most of the folks I've talked to have felt the same way, although a few have liked it.

I guess what I'm saying is, be careful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I was doing an INCREDIBLY simple recipe.
5lb of Wheat DME
2oz of Fuggles hitting about 15-20IBUs
US-05 fermented at about 64°

Once it is done I'd rack it on top of 4lb of frozen raspberries (probably just buying frozen ones at the grocery) and wait about a week before crashing it.
I will put some pectic enzyme and acid blend in there too. (Maybe about 1/2 a teaspoon of acid blend? Really not much)

I did a 2.5gallon test batch almost exactly scaled down from this and it was amazingly delicious. It is obviously very light in alcohol (and body) and was really a sit out side and drink 2 or 3 because you didn't realize you had finished it so fast type of beer.
The #s I used in the test batch was 0.75lb of raspberries per gallon but I figured I'd 'round up' to 4lb from 3.75.
That worked out to a definitely raspberry-ey beer without being too tart or overwhelming. It definitely overpowers most of the wheat beer flavors, but is muted by them at the same time? Dunno, its basically my summer beer instead of making a cream ale or something similar.

I'm 100% doing this recipe because my mom grows her own raspberries and loves them and I can maybe steal some berries from her. When did the pectic enzyme (how much?) and acid blend go in? At bottling time? Also 60min boil on the hops?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

I'm 100% doing this recipe because my mom grows her own raspberries and loves them and I can maybe steal some berries from her. When did the pectic enzyme (how much?) and acid blend go in? At bottling time? Also 60min boil on the hops?

Ahhhh that sounds amazing with fresh picked raspberries. I hope to get Mich ones for the next take.

The 2oz was like 30m in a 30m boil. I figured since its just DME a full boil time isn't doing much for me.
Pectic enzyme was what it recommended on the bottle: 1/10tsp per lb of fruit. I'll round up to 1/2 tsp for this one.
Acid blend was 1/4 tsp for my 2.5gal so I'll do 1/2tsp this time.
Both of those were added to the secondary right before I racked the beer on top.

E: just tossed 2gal of Mott's apple juice, 1 can of frozen apple concentrate, some pectix enzyme/acid blend, and Nottingham in a fermenter. Let's see how that goes :)

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 19, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got a no-boil berliner weisse I need to make (like, last week) that uses Wyeast 1056, which being close enough to US-05, I might try my first ever yeast cake re-use batch with that recipe. :ohdear:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fullroundaction posted:

Cool thanks, will do.

A 148 rest instead of 154 won't really affect your OG so much as it will affect the fermentability of your wort.

1. Don't stir, you want the grainbed to be as settled as possible towards the bottom or you could very easily end up with a stuck sparge/runoff. If you want to stir right at the end to get all of the remaining wort trapped in the grains that's fine though.

2. Good question. I understand the process (on paper), and since it's a part of almost every brewery's process I'd have to imagine it IS important, but I'd like to see some experiment data testing gravities without it.

3. No, see 1.
I'm not sure what mechanism stirring is going to antagonize sticking your sparge since its loosening up the grain bed. Its pretty easy to set a grainbed after stirring so anytime you add a large batch of water all at once I'd recommend stirring. During a rest without adding water? Don't worry about it, everything's as solublized as its going to get because presumably you stirred the last time you added water.

I know I just recommended mashing out last page but as far as gravity goes its more important for breweries because it takes so long to sparge. If your method takes a million years or you suspect your mash running off from you then sure do an explicit mash out. Otherwise the important thing is to keep everything hot during the sparge to keep it fluid and solublize sugar. Sometimes the easiest way to set that up is a mash out step. Maybe its your first batch sparge.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
^^^ At least with a bazooka tube the grain at the bottom forms sort of a barrier that allows things to free flow through the screen. Sort of like digging a hole in the snow and it not collapsing. Might not make a difference with false bottoms or other methods.

ChiTownEddie posted:

E: just tossed 2gal of Mott's apple juice, 1 can of frozen apple concentrate, some pectix enzyme/acid blend, and Nottingham in a fermenter. Let's see how that goes :)

Should be done fermenting by now, if my experience with that yeast/juice combo is universal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fullroundaction posted:

^^^ At least with a bazooka tube the grain at the bottom forms sort of a barrier that allows things to free flow through the screen. Sort of like digging a hole in the snow and it not collapsing. Might not make a difference with false bottoms or other methods.

Should be done fermenting by now, if my experience with that yeast/juice combo is universal.
If I'm understanding what you're saying that's the mechanism for filtering with any setup. Stirring can alleviate stuck mashes by putting overly set grain back in suspension and potentially dispersing any proteiny goop that's setting the grain. Its like the opposite of sticking the mash. I don't know why a bazooka tube would be any different with the caveats of don't crimp it, and make sure you relax the weave between brews.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
From the "Eleven Ways to Avoid a Stuck Sparge" section of Radical Brewing:

quote:

Having the wort flowing at a high rate before the filter bed is set creates a considerable vacuum that can compact the bed into a bricklike substance.

I think we may be saying the same thing, I may just be stating my side poorly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fullroundaction posted:

From the "Eleven Ways to Avoid a Stuck Sparge" section of Radical Brewing:

I think we may be saying the same thing, I may just be stating my side poorly.

So after stirring and before running off again you need to reset the grain bed. A small price to pay for time or efficiency savings of stirring between batches.

If you don't stir you are all but continuous sparging since the mass transfer will be limited by the same hydraulic limitations. Which is cool if you're set up for that but most people batch to take advantage of easy filters.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

I've got a no-boil berliner weisse I need to make (like, last week) that uses Wyeast 1056, which being close enough to US-05, I might try my first ever yeast cake re-use batch with that recipe. :ohdear:

Ooh recipe? I've been wanting to do one quite badly myself.

fullroundaction posted:

Hahaha well I'm excited for coming home to see an explosion of krausen maybe? :P

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 19, 2013

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I finally hydro'd my saison and it's reading 1.002. That's, uh, done I think? Should I even worry about holding off another 2 days to bag that last .002? It tastes good.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Imaduck posted:

Rogness Brewing, near Austin, does a Chai beer. I found the taste to be incredibly overpowering and basically undrinkable, in spite of the fact that I really enjoy Chai. Most of the folks I've talked to have felt the same way, although a few have liked it.

I guess what I'm saying is, be careful.

I bought a couple example milk stouts from wegmans,and I plan on adding the chai to it when it arrives to gauge how it would taste in different concentrations, or even if it would taste good.

Experimenting before I potentially waste a batch

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ooh recipe? I've been wanting to do one quite badly myself.

Recipe I found is here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/homebrewing-berliner-weisse-recipe-how-to-brew-sour-beer.html

I've never done a no-boil OR a decoction but the recipe spells it all out. I guess if I want to reuse the yeast I'm going to add the Lactobacillus at secondary instead.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Sirotan posted:

Recipe I found is here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/homebrewing-berliner-weisse-recipe-how-to-brew-sour-beer.html

I've never done a no-boil OR a decoction but the recipe spells it all out. I guess if I want to reuse the yeast I'm going to add the Lactobacillus at secondary instead.

I think I may do this when I'm done moving in a couple weeks. Can you make a lacto starter like you would for yeast to avoid buying two packs?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Interesting. I think I'll try it too at some point, but do a half batch of that so I don't have to make a starter or use 2 packs of lacto. Also in case I mess it up hahaha.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Toebone posted:

I think I may do this when I'm done moving in a couple weeks. Can you make a lacto starter like you would for yeast to avoid buying two packs?

I bought only one pack after consulting with the guys at the homebrew store, they felt it would be more than sufficient.

Edit: Hmm, reading about making lacto starters and berliner weisse's. Maybe I should be doing my batches the other way around since the BW will take a lot longer, and make a lacto starter. Hmmmmmm...

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 19, 2013

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Honey Ale gravity check this morning. Its down to 1.010, I'll check it again on Saturday to see if the gravity changed or if its ready to bottle (hope its ready). Smells good, looks good, should be dry and crisp. A nice summer refresher. ABV around 5.6% at the moment.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My first ever all-grain batch (MOtter-Simcoe Smash) had a OG of 1.060 and after six days is reading 1.012. Apparently beer was made despite my mistakes. It smelled awesome when I opened the fermenter. Apparent attenuation 79% with US-05 (6.3% ABV). I started with ten pounds of grain. Does this all seem normal?

If the yeast are still floating on the top does that mean the yeast are still active?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PBCrunch posted:

My first ever all-grain batch (MOtter-Simcoe Smash) had a OG of 1.060 and after six days is reading 1.012. Apparently beer was made despite my mistakes. It smelled awesome when I opened the fermenter. Apparent attenuation 79% with US-05 (6.3% ABV). I started with ten pounds of grain. Does this all seem normal?

If the yeast are still floating on the top does that mean the yeast are still active?
Floating yeast doesn't necessarily mean activity but it's likely. But only 6 days means you can easily let it go another 15 or more and let the yeast clean up after themselves before you worry about bottling.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

PBCrunch posted:

That sounds very normal. US-05 has a tendency to hang around a bit, but I love it. You can let it ride, cold crash it, or (imo) let it condition a bit then cold crash it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Making a lacto starter is kind of pointless IMO if you're pitching fresh from a Wyeast bag/WhiteLabs vial. Souring beer isn't really a problem that can be solved by throwing more bacteria into the fermenter. You just need time for your first generation to take hold, and after that things speed up a bit for subsequent batches.

The only thing I can think of to help speed along the process would be to wait until fermentation is completely over, then add the lacto and raise (and keep) the temperature in the upper 90s. Even then it's probably not worth the effort.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

Making a lacto starter is kind of pointless IMO if you're pitching fresh from a Wyeast bag/WhiteLabs vial. Souring beer isn't really a problem that can be solved by throwing more bacteria into the fermenter. You just need time for your first generation to take hold, and after that things speed up a bit for subsequent batches.

The only thing I can think of to help speed along the process would be to wait until fermentation is completely over, then add the lacto and raise (and keep) the temperature in the upper 90s. Even then it's probably not worth the effort.

As well, if all you're pitching is lacto it would make more sense to do a sour mash and be able to lock in the desired sourness level than to pitch lacto and have it keep going essentially forever. You could turn around that Berliner in a couple weeks with a sour mash but it takes a lot longer if you do a straight lacto pitch.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Question about turning a whiskey barrel into a sour barrel: Do I just brew the base beer with reggos yeast and then pitch bugs once it goes into the barrel and BAM sour barrel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If doing a sour mash means I'd need to keep it at 90+ for a couple of days I don't think I could. It would mean leaving something on my stove all day when I'm not home which sounds like a good way to burn down my apartment building. I guess I'll just go back to my original plan and follow the directions in the recipe. Worst case scenario it just takes longer.