Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3peat
May 6, 2010

The Rooster posted:

m if he wanted to keep a tight Chicago focus, but

Isn't Chance from chicago? I would have loved to see him on yeezus, Juice and Cocoa Butter Kisses are some of my favorite tracks from this year

alansmithee posted:

I have seen exactly one dude say that J.Cole's album is better, and he posts in the rap thread here. I tried to download J.Cole's album but my computer kept going into sleep mode.

Whoever that guy was he was probably trolling, I actually tried listening to born sinner and every single track was a skip. Like you were saying, what a loving borefest.

About Yeezus, I gave it like 2 dozen listens since it leaked, even had sex on it (worked out better than expected, tbh), and so far the verdict is on par with 808's and not as good as MBTF. Like a lot of other people seem to say, I love the production and the whole thing works great as a coherent album, but man, some of the lyrics are real bad and or lazy, wish more of it was like New Slaves which was the high point lyrically/thematically for me. Tho I'm lucky english isn't my first language so I can just tune out when it gets lovely.
Oh and I was just thinking, I'm not a Kanye fan and I don't want to be a Kanye fan but somehow I keep liking his albums, like I try hating his poo poo yet I just can't, it's weird.

edit: I dunno if anyone mentioned it before but Numbers on the Boards beat sounds exactly like it belonged on Yeezus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DawrlSwHUiM

3peat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Haha, I like the fact that only one collaborator is listed for this on Spotify:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I love that Big Ghost review. It might be the only one that isn't gonna dick-ride Ye to death.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

3peat posted:

edit: I dunno if anyone mentioned it before but Numbers on the Boards beat sounds exactly like it belonged on Yeezus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DawrlSwHUiM

It would be the best one, maybe second.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

I love that Big Ghost review. It might be the only one that isn't gonna dick-ride Ye to death.

It's kind of weird that he gives it 3.5 Zeus Slaps after panning each track individually for the most part. Still, Big Ghost is basically the best rap writer doing it right now, I'd way rather read his reviews than anyone else's

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think he recognizes that Kanye is experimenting and really trying to create an innovative record each time he goes into studio mode. So that warrants the score.

I am working on my own review which echoes a lot of the sentiment in ghost's but I will never be that funny. There is a lot of stuff I like about Yeezus and a lot that falls flat. It definitely doesnt feel like a 9.5 to me (pitchfork's score) but then again, as much as i love MBDTF, it didnt deserve a perfect score so i dunno whats up w p4k and kanye. Im leaning towards 8.5 for my personal score. Ill post a little review here when im done, i need more time w the album though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This album didn't really click for me until I was high as hell listening to it, but after that I love it even sober, so maybe give that a try if you're still disappointed with it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Muck and Mire posted:

It's kind of weird that he gives it 3.5 Zeus Slaps after panning each track individually for the most part. Still, Big Ghost is basically the best rap writer doing it right now, I'd way rather read his reviews than anyone else's

I think a lot of the review is contrary just to be "funny" or for the sake of being funny (I mean criticizing him for not playing instruments? what kind of rockist poo poo is that?). And all that stuff where he's taking cracks at the EDM sounds is really cornball. Because I was also surprised he gave it a good rating after making GBS threads over 80% of the songs.

As for his stuff overall, a certain mod ruined Big Ghost for me. Also dude ripped of Mero's shtick pretty much which that combination really took a lot of the luster off of his whole thing. Still dude's ok though (although being affiliated with okayplayer is a big negative). Noz is by far the best dude writing about rap stuff though (or Bol when he actually talks about raps instead of thick white girls or worldstar videos).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think if you listen to more than rap, Kanye is just being a good artist and keeping himself fresh. I swear hiphop fans have some of the lowest expectations (message) and they tolerate the same poo poo for years. Ye is just showing mfers what an artist is supposed to do, which is make pruhVAWKative music instead of following trends. Its sad he's 1 of 1 but hey, go listen to Chance the Rapper you shitheads and support creative types instead of samey trap poo poo.

Giving Ye 3.5 Zeus slaps is fair for a review that isn't dissing the music but isn't sold to it yet. I can feel that. I think giving Yeezus more is more of an individual preference and 3.5 is closer to an average score. I like the album but then again, Daft Punk can do no wrong in my eyes so this album is like exactly what I like as opposed to MBDTF which I feel was self-indulgent and excessive.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
Sampling Strange Fruit was incredibly gutsy. I'm not sure if it works for me.

Otherwise, I'm really liking the album, but I have only had a chance to listen to it twice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did anybody bring up the fact that the soul loop and the electro flip places in On Sight and Bound 2?

It's interesting since On Sight is him embracing that bravado he's been hiding in for years to the point of being obnoxious while Bound 2 is an attempt at the polar opposite...until that electro chorus pops in. Second verse he's backsliding into his old ways. An even longer electro chorus. Third verse is a simple pop reference confirming the fantasy's over before the song cuts out.

Makes the whole album have a much more bleak tone. Embrace it. Don't embrace it. Fight it. Don't fight it. There's no control when it comes to that darker aspect of his personality.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What is that soul sample used briefly in On Sight?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I think a lot of the review is contrary just to be "funny" or for the sake of being funny (I mean criticizing him for not playing instruments? what kind of rockist poo poo is that?). And all that stuff where he's taking cracks at the EDM sounds is really cornball. Because I was also surprised he gave it a good rating after making GBS threads over 80% of the songs.

As for his stuff overall, a certain mod ruined Big Ghost for me. Also dude ripped of Mero's shtick pretty much which that combination really took a lot of the luster off of his whole thing. Still dude's ok though (although being affiliated with okayplayer is a big negative). Noz is by far the best dude writing about rap stuff though (or Bol when he actually talks about raps instead of thick white girls or worldstar videos).

What do you mean by a mod ruined it for you? I get that he ripped Mero's shtick, they are pretty similar and Mero was definitely around first, but Big Ghost is so good at approximating the real Ghostface's dialogue that I can look past that. Plus Mero quit updating his blog a while ago which sucks because I almost died laughing reading V-L several times. I did like Big Ghost before he was popular though (lol), when he wrote a lot more weirdo poo poo instead of just doing record reviews for Okayplayer but that's whatever.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

thathonkey posted:

What is that soul sample used briefly in On Sight?

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnJdmSHO_g

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

which I feel was self-indulgent and excessive.

Moreso than the album with a song titled "I am a God (feat. God)" :v: ?

Seriously though you just described Kanye's entire catalogue

Edit: i just noticed New Slaves has a jab at the fashion industry rejecting his lines. Was it really a racial thing? I thought it was more of an elitism/insular thing.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 18, 2013

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Muck and Mire posted:

What do you mean by a mod ruined it for you? I get that he ripped Mero's shtick, they are pretty similar and Mero was definitely around first, but Big Ghost is so good at approximating the real Ghostface's dialogue that I can look past that. Plus Mero quit updating his blog a while ago which sucks because I almost died laughing reading V-L several times. I did like Big Ghost before he was popular though (lol), when he wrote a lot more weirdo poo poo instead of just doing record reviews for Okayplayer but that's whatever.

Mero is now writing for Noisey/Vice http://noisey.vice.com/author/the-kid-mero

I've been waiting for his review as well.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thathonkey posted:

Moreso than the album with a song titled "I am a God (feat. God)" :v: ?

Seriously though you just described Kanye's entire catalogue
Nah, Yeezus is upfront about its hubris which makes more humble than 20 violin solos and Elton John saying one line and having a minimum 4 features per track.

Kanye pours himself into his music and I respect it because he was doubted so much. He by force of will became a rapper instead being hidden away in a studio somewhere. People forget what he had to prove to get to MBDTF. But it was too much IMO. Not saying it was bad just overachieving.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Muck and Mire posted:

Well a certain mod who will remain nameless was talking about him one time and saying how the act is kinda one-note and lame. And dude got a little popular but instead of being able to actually just say stuff on his own has to keep up with the act. Also the fact that Ghost seems pretty self-aware w/r/t how he is perceived and how he talks about himself. Dude still will say a couple interesting things occasionally, but the whole tacked-on Ghostface act really just masks some generally shallow and unremarkable reviews otherwise.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could just get it to display this all the time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

Nah, Yeezus is upfront about its hubris which makes more humble than 20 violin solos and Elton John saying one line and having a minimum 4 features per track.

Kanye pours himself into his music and I respect it because he was doubted so much. He by force of will became a rapper instead being hidden away in a studio somewhere. People forget what he had to prove to get to MBDTF. But it was too much IMO. Not saying it was bad just overachieving.

Oh yeah, I was just playing. MBDTF is maybe my favorite Kanye album but it is maximalist to the point of being overwrought. "All of the Lights" and "So Appalled" are my least favorite tracks from it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like there are 4 different mixes of the album....

Dean also confirmed that each release format for Yeezus (iTunes US, iTunes world, physical CD, and the version available on KanyeWest.com) contains a different mix of the album. As he explained, “We work on it until the last possible minute, and then beyond.”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The iTunes mix sounds like complete rear end, jesus christ. Compressed to hell.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I feel like John Hurt in Spaceballs

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Dean also confirmed that each release format for Yeezus (iTunes US, iTunes world, physical CD, and the version available on KanyeWest.com) contains a different mix of the album. As he explained, “We work on it until the last possible minute, and then beyond.”

That's shockingly stupid.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's shockingly stupid.

You would think so... until you realize that now there are going to be crazy people who buy every version.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

alansmithee posted:

People have been talking about his lyrics, but his lyrics have always been corny. The reason he gets away with it (besides the whole amazing production thing) is he sells it. I remember reading a review of one of Lil Wayne's later mixtapes, and Noz said the biggest difference between his old stuff and new stuff wasn't the punchlines, but before he sold that poo poo-when he said something he just KNEW it was fresh and he had the personality to carry it. What he lost was that force of personality, the little ad-libs and just extra things that would get people to buy along. And if anything, Kanye's even MORE into his lines than before. He likely knows his lines are cornball, but he doesn't care at all.

When I first got into Kanye I thought he had great sound and lovely lyrics. Eventually, something clicked for me, I saw him completely differently and basically feel exactly as you do. What Kanye lacks in technical skill he makes up for in rawness. His personality, full of swagger and honesty just oozes into every verse and it's why lines like "You can kiss my whole rear end, more specifically you can kiss my rear end in a top hat" hit when they could easily have missed. This is why WTT felt so weak for me; on many of the tracks Kanye was spinning some Jay style verses and you could tell his heart wasn't fully in it, there was a lack of honesty like someone speaking a second language who isn't quite fluent yet.

Having said that, I think Yeezus still features too many of those crude punchline verses; he still sells them and individually they're fine, but they're just too densely packed in my opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's a mixtape up on P4k that has the supposed samples from the album and lists Marilyn Manson as a sample on Black Skinheads. I can hear the influence but is it an actual sample? Wouldn't it be in the album credits somewhere?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looks like there are 4 different mixes of the album....

So which one's best? :psyduck:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's a mixtape up on P4k that has the supposed samples from the album and lists Marilyn Manson as a sample on Black Skinheads. I can hear the influence but is it an actual sample? Wouldn't it be in the album credits somewhere?
According to the album credits, Black Skinhead doesn't use any samples.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

HorseRenoir posted:

According to the album credits, Black Skinhead doesn't use any samples.

Uhh, listen to the drums

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Professor Funk posted:

Uhh, listen to the drums

They sound similar (to this and Beautiful People) but they could still have been played live for this recording.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

caldrax posted:

They sound similar (to this and Beautiful People) but they could still have been played live for this recording.

This is true. I'm pretty sure I read in several reviews that it was in fact a sample, but I guess that's not the case.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So they can have all those digital mixes but no vinyl? My MBDTF LP is wonderful...

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

thathonkey posted:

So they can have all those digital mixes but no vinyl? My MBDTF LP is wonderful...

Really?? I've avoided MBDTF on vinyl because all I've read is the mastering for it is piss poor.

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

Yeah, the mastering is p poo poo. I actually went through several downloads before buying it only to find...It wasn't the rips, that's just how it sounded! That being said, get Yeezus. He flat states "this is that goon poo poo."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
God I can't get enough of this album. Also I loving love Black skinhead, that song is so goddamn good.

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

the end of New Slaves where he inverts it and it becomes nearly uplifting is incredible, I've listened to this album almost exclusively since Friday and holy christ Hold My Liquor really grows on you. I'm in it's cries of "star fucker" really scream Saul Williams. This album is seriously the hip-hop Mechanical Animals.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

reflex posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

I'll read that article on lunch, but just reading that image about Kanye saying it to himself in the mirror has changed my perspective on the song. "I am a God" might be my favorite Kanye song ever just because I thought of it as so arrogant and unapologetic, but now that I think about it there is something profoundly sad about it.

From last page, but I think an important key to "I Am A God" is the "Hurry up with my drat croissants" line.

That line is clearly supposed to be important; the beat and everything else fall away, and the song gets louder for that one line. So the question is, did Kanye mean that unironically or not?

Because if he meant it unironically, it's bizarrely self-important, even for Kanye. It's also just an inherently funny line, and I find it hard to believe that literally anyone could record and produce that in seriousness and say, "Yes, that is the effect I intended."

Instead, it can be read as a sad and revealing line. Kanye claims to be a god, but he can't get anything done. He can't even get loving croissants brought to his table in a timely fashion. Despite all his wealth and fame, he's basically impotent. I think that's a major theme of this album, and it's a shame most people won't look beyond the surface braggadocio.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Valentin posted:

So the question is, did Kanye mean that unironically or not?

In other words: Does Kanye Like To Make Jokes?????

Yeah Kanye is the dude who still loves the like "got a light skin friend look like Michael Jackson, got a dark skin friend look like Michael Jackson" so I'm gonna say that it was prob not entirely serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Peacebone posted:

Really?? I've avoided MBDTF on vinyl because all I've read is the mastering for it is piss poor.

The mastering on every version of that album is poo poo. As are most of the vocal mixes. Im not sure why Ye demanded that everything be so hot. It's not like the vinyl is esp. bad or anything. Anyway I was more talking about the package itself. Lots of cool interchangeable art.

Also one of the record sides has only one song on it (Monster I think). Why did it need to be a 4x LP? Well, that is just Kanye being Kanye. Unnecessary "more must be better, right?" poo poo.

Yet, I still love that record

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 19, 2013

• Locked thread