Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KernelSlanders posted:

Yes, the same way pickup-truck and wheelbarrow mean the same thing, a wheeled container for transporting things.

But a pick up truck and a wheelbarrow are very different? I don't think you have thought this comparison through.

Anyway here are some maps-

Europe in 1100ad.

Europe in 1200ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

...OK so it is an American definition. In the UK the House of Commons (parliament) is the lower chamber and the House of Lords can send bills back. For much of history the monarch could refuse to sign a bill into law. There is also the Scottish parliament which has its power limited to certain areas. The word parliament implies nothing about being the highest form of power. In theory the UK parliaments gets all its power from the monarch anyway.

It's like the difference between Parliament and the EU legislature.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Read a dictionary and find out that there's more than one definition for words already, jeez.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Replace the word "Parliament" with "Legislature". There you go, loving semantics.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

computer parts posted:

The EU legislature is called the European Parliament.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

marktheando posted:

But a pick up truck and a wheelbarrow are very different? I don't think you have thought this comparison through.

Europe in 1100ad.

Europe in 1200ad.

What are the blank areas supposed to be, 'uninhabited' or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It means there isn't a single polity they could draw there. Various tribal confederations, nomadic pastoralists, or just areas we might not know enough about, etc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It might come from a lack of clear historical records too, same as why the borders of the Russian principalities are fuzzy compared to those of, say, France.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They've left the borders in Normandy and the Welsh Marches fuzzy in the 1100 one as well, almost certainly to show the instability in the borders. Don't know why that's cleared up by 1200, those two areas in particular were still just as chaotic as they'd been in 1100.

Really, a lot more of those borders should be fuzzed.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
A lot of the white areas in the east also are areas where Christianity had yet to take over the local culture, and a lot of our knowledge of medieval Europe comes from church writings. Especially in the case of documenting political and legal claims, which borders would fall under.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

marktheando posted:

Europe in 1100ad.

Europe in 1200ad.

Bohemia was pretty well integrated into the Holy Roman Empire in both 1100 and 1200. Any idea why it wouldn't be on this map? Also, those are some pretty great maps.

just2410
Nov 18, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

Bohemia was pretty well integrated into the Holy Roman Empire in both 1100 and 1200. Any idea why it wouldn't be on this map? Also, those are some pretty great maps.

Bohemia is outlined in the Holy Roman Empire's colour, and in those maps it means that it is a vassal or satellite state of the country in question. So the map does kind of recognize Bohemia as part of the empire, just as an autonomous part.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

marktheando posted:

How is it not?

Edit- is this another one of those American things where they refuse to use the normal definitions of words like "America is a republic not a democracy".

You mean the country with the preponderance of native speakers of a language creates definitions of words based on it's particular usage? That's shocking. Downright shocking.

But what's this? A member of the Anglophone world hating on the US, apropos of nothing? Real loving shocking. Use determines meaning, and we are the ones doing the using.

Here's a map:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

menino posted:

You mean the country with the preponderance of native speakers of a language creates definitions of words based on it's particular usage? That's shocking. Downright shocking.

But what's this? A member of the Anglophone world hating on the US, apropos of nothing? Real loving shocking. Use determines meaning, and we are the ones doing the using.

Here's a map:

It's always nice when someone throws out a bonafide Mercator projection just to make a map terrible for no reason. Also a whole lot of people (edit: 125 million) speak English in India.

English speakers by density:

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 18, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Dusseldorf posted:

It's always nice when someone throws out a bonafide Mercator projection just to make a map terrible for no reason. Also a whole lot of people (edit: 125 million) speak English in India.

And China too. But they are not native speakers, they are English "users", which is a completely different category, mostly that they can handle the passive skills but falter with active ones. Mercators suck, but the numbers are the numbers.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dusseldorf posted:

English speakers by density:

Willing to bet they didn't care much for the projection and also that it's talking about native speakers. I'm sure there aren't 70 million people in the USA that literally cannot speak English, and I'm pretty sure that Spain, Italy, France and Germany have more than a couple million speakers of English.

What's really missing is African representation, unless local languages get primacy there; I'm not sure on what the status of the former British colonies is language-wise other than that for many/most of them English is an official language that people generally learn.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

menino posted:

Here's a map:

gently caress's sake man I was jokingly complaining about how I was confused by a difference in word usage, I hardly class that as 'hating on the US'.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
edit: okay once again I need to not post.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 19, 2013

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

menino posted:

Here's a map:

Speaking as an American, shut the gently caress up bitch! ::gb2gbs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

^ Watch out with using memes outside of the meme thread.

menino posted:

Yes, the fact that we insist that the US Congress falls under the generic category of 'parliament', regardless of its specific name, is due to our undying hatred of America.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
^Since this is apparently the pedantry thread, I'd like to point out that it's an image macro, not a meme.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

Europe in 1100ad.

Europe in 1200ad.

The second map seems straight out of bizarro-world showing Great Poland, Little Poland, Mazovia (all administrative regions of Poland) as neighbors. First time I have ever seen that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lawman 0 posted:

What are the blank areas supposed to be, 'uninhabited' or something?

'gently caress if we know what was there back then' probably, just like borders get uncertain outside of western Europe

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

To add to the pedantry: the very concept of 'borders' is rather yougn as well; aboaut until the French Revolution, two neighbouring villages on each side of a border wouldn't necessarily see themselves as French or German or Russian and Polish or whatever; they were just part of two different feudal systems, at the top of which two different monarchs stood. It could well be that twenty kilometres further into say, Germany, there would again be villages and areas 'belonging' to the French monarchy.

One example: The county of Charolais was an area in middle to eastern France that belonged to the Spanish monarchy from 1559 to 1684. That didn't mean that it wasn't "French", though: the people there continued to speak French, the area stayed within the feudal hierarchy of France with the French king at the top and you wouldn't have noticed at all when crossing the border that you had entered "Spain". The Spanish Hapsburgs sold it to a French nobleman whose dynasty continued to keep it as a "sovereign" county until 1761. It wasn't nominally a part of France until then, yet it... was. It's kind of complicated.

Charolais is the yellow blob to the right of the red guy.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
metric system by adoptiopn year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trench_Rat posted:

The US adopted the metric system in 1875 :colbert:. They just didn't do anything with it.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The US adopted the metric system in 1875 :colbert:. They just didn't do anything with it.

More specifically it has been a legal form of measurements since 1866 and the US was one of the 17 original signers and ratifiers of the Metre Convention. The US just then never got rid of the USCS. The USCS in fact is now measured officially in terms of the SI but it's not illegal so it's still around unlike other countries which actively outlawed non-metric systems.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

The second map seems straight out of bizarro-world showing Great Poland, Little Poland, Mazovia (all administrative regions of Poland) as neighbors. First time I have ever seen that.

One of the Polish Kings had like 6 sons in the 1200s, and rather than let the eldest inherit it all, he allowed them all to have essentially independent duchies. Then the Holy Roman Empire stepped in up and awarded the King of Poland crown to the Duke of Bohemia.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

memy posted:

^Since this is apparently the pedantry thread, I'd like to point out that it's an image macro, not a meme.

If we're going down that road, it is both, as Unhelpful High School Teacher is a definite meme.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trench_Rat posted:

The USA, Burma, and Liberia are the last bastions of defiance against French influence. :911:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Adequate posted:

The USA, Burma, and Liberia are the last bastions of defiance against French influence. :911:

Liberia was started by the US; what's Burma's excuse?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

System Metternich posted:

To add to the pedantry: the very concept of 'borders' is rather yougn as well; aboaut until the French Revolution, two neighbouring villages on each side of a border wouldn't necessarily see themselves as French or German or Russian and Polish or whatever; they were just part of two different feudal systems, at the top of which two different monarchs stood. It could well be that twenty kilometres further into say, Germany, there would again be villages and areas 'belonging' to the French monarchy.

It's worth noting that the results of this kind of thing can still be seen today, in a few places.

The Dutch/Belgian town of Baarle-Nassau/Baarle-Hertog, for example:

Wikipedia posted:

Baarle-Hertog is noted for its complicated borders with Baarle-Nassau in the Netherlands. In total it consists of 24 separate parcels of land. Apart from the main division (called Zondereigen from the main hamlet) located north of the Belgian town of Merksplas, there are twenty Belgian exclaves in the Netherlands and three other sections on the Dutch-Belgian border. There are also seven Dutch exclaves within the Belgian exclaves. Six of them are located in the largest one and a seventh in the second-largest one.

The border is so complicated that there are some houses that are divided between the two countries. There was a time when according to Dutch laws restaurants had to close earlier. For some restaurants on the border it meant that the clients simply had to change their tables to the Belgian side. The border's complexity results from a number of equally complex medieval treaties, agreements, land-swaps and sales between the Lords of Breda and the Dukes of Brabant. Generally speaking, predominantly agricultural or built environments became constituents of Brabant and other parts devolved to Breda. These distributions were ratified and clarified as a part of the borderline settlements arrived at during the Treaty of Maastricht in 1843.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

arhra posted:

It's worth noting that the results of this kind of thing can still be seen today, in a few places.

The Dutch/Belgian town of Baarle-Nassau/Baarle-Hertog, for example:

How difficult would it be if they wanted to make their borders less insane? If it's the way it is because of the treaty of Maastricht, can it be changed by "normal" legislation?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

There's an even more extreme instance between India and Bangladesh.

Wikipedia posted:

There are 102 Indian exclaves (96 of which are first-order enclaves) inside Bangladesh and 71 Bangladeshi exclaves (68 of which are first-order enclaves) inside India. Inside these exclaves are an additional 24 counter-enclaves (21 Bangladeshi, 3 Indian) and one Indian counter-counter-enclave, called Dahala Khagrabari #51. They have an estimated combined population between 50,000 and 100,000.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

How difficult would it be if they wanted to make their borders less insane? If it's the way it is because of the treaty of Maastricht, can it be changed by "normal" legislation?

Well, you'd have to have both countries involved, so it'd still require a new treaty, but with how settled the area is you'd have to deal with the thorny issue of what to do with all the people who live there if they're on the "wrong" side of the new borders.

I suspect it's just more trouble than it's worth, especially since Belgium and the Netherlands (along with Luxembourg) had arrangements for a customs union and free movement of workers/capital/etc, even before the EU came into being.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

We're too busy squabbling over internal borders here in Belgium. Also, negotiating with the Netherlands about anything is annoying as hell - see the Westerschelde.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

LP97S posted:

More specifically it has been a legal form of measurements since 1866 and the US was one of the 17 original signers and ratifiers of the Metre Convention. The US just then never got rid of the USCS. The USCS in fact is now measured officially in terms of the SI but it's not illegal so it's still around unlike other countries which actively outlawed non-metric systems.

We have a split system. The FDA does some things in metric. Liquor is sold in metric volumes (although we of course use different metric sizes than everyone else). The UK is also on a split system. For example their speed limits are in miles per hour.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

KernelSlanders posted:

We have a split system. The FDA does some things in metric. Liquor is sold in metric volumes (although we of course use different metric sizes than everyone else). The UK is also on a split system. For example their speed limits are in miles per hour.

Canada does a bit of this too, though interestingly in kind of opposite ways to the UK. The UK has road signage in miles but you generally purchase food in grams/kilograms at, say, a deli counter, whereas in Canada it's the other way round (you drive x kilometres to the butcher and pick up a pound and a half of beef).

In Australia the only thing imperial still gets used for is drinks at bars and estimating distances if you're talking to older folk ("Whadaya say, Greg?" "Shift 'er a couple inches to the left cobber")

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, in Canada height and weight are the only things where the metric system is still more common than imperial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KernelSlanders posted:

Liquor is sold in metric volumes (although we of course use different metric sizes than everyone else).

Wait, what? How do we use a "different metric system" than everyone else?

I know that several parts of the Imperial system are different (US Pint is 16 oz, I think in the UK it's 20?) but how to things like milliliters differ?

Or do you just mean the [i]amount[i/] we use it different? Like...we routinely sell them in 750 ml and 1.5 L sizes, where in other countries it's typically .5L and 1K?