Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He said that Cambridge Commons have undergone a ton of renovations. I can ask what he might have when I see him on Thursday.

It's changed, but not that much: http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/news/x1084482884/Cambridge-Common-revamp-to-take-place-this-fall#axzz2WbBrXvlz

In fact, we may have a chance (like with the Zoo) to get the city to do the work for us. It doesn't sound like (other than the playground) much has been completely torn up.

edit: Parts of it were certainly messed up during the construction of the Red Line out to Alewife.

The Dawes Island was built in 1975, just in case anyone was worried it's new :)

The Irish Famine monument is new, from 1996.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Cask 2 - Charleston, SC

Well, I've formally asked the City of Charleston Parks Department for permission to dig in the planting bed beside High Battery just below where the geodetic marker is embedded in the seawall. Wish me luck.

If anyone local thinks my theory is good and would like to help dig, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to have you on board. Frankly, I could use some help with the heavier work. I'm an old lady and I gots the rheumatiz. :smith:

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

In fact, we may have a chance (like with the Zoo) to get the city to do the work for us. It doesn't sound like (other than the playground) much has been completely torn up.

Interesting and certainly in our favor if it comes to digging there.

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good
Has anyone considered contacting the other authors/artists who made The Secret? I know they each will only know a little but when you don't really "know" anything, a little can be a lot.

I was able to track Sean Kelly down to Pratt institute.

Couldn't find much on Ted Mann, he may be a television writer now.

And John Jude Palencar is available by using
http://www.johnjudepalencar.com/home.htm

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
This is also visible from the common, and I don't hate it as an "all the letters are here to see."

I get that it's not every single letter, but they're loving visible & a neighborhood landmark. I don't know how old.

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

rookhunter posted:

For those of you not yet in Q4T, let me know if you need any info inside. (like articles, images or theory comparisons)
I know how frustrating it is not to see the work done over the last few years and compare notes.

It would be nice to know if someone else has discounted (with sound evidence) ideas that we are having now in the Milwaukee case. If we are close, that is to say it is in one of four very specific places, and someone has researched something we haven't (a letter from the country? Like, how long a letter? Or maybe a single letter?). And that flower--everyone settled on "oh, that's a primrose, and primrose is the birthflower of February and there are two balls so that must be it."

So?! It also looks just like four other flowers I looked up...with still no connection to Milwaukee (like a violet would have).

And why does that drat cape have ruffles with ridges?

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

Has anyone considered contacting the other authors/artists who made The Secret? I know they each will only know a little but when you don't really "know" anything, a little can be a lot.

I was able to track Sean Kelly down to Pratt institute.

Couldn't find much on Ted Mann, he may be a television writer now.

And John Jude Palencar is available by using
http://www.johnjudepalencar.com/home.htm

Mr Palencar is on records saying he wont help because he considers himself still under contract.
That was almost ten years ago.

I dont think anyone else knew anything about their location. Preiss said he would mail the polaroids to Palencar and then they were destroyed.

My personal opinion is that it never hurts to ask, especially information about Preiss (parks he frequented, cities he liked, etc).

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Unfortunately it seems the one the illustrator knew the most about is the Cleveland one, which was found. :( I believe he suggested the location for that one.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

blurradial posted:

It would be nice to know if someone else has discounted (with sound evidence) ideas that we are having now in the Milwaukee case. If we are close, that is to say it is in one of four very specific places, and someone has researched something we haven't (a letter from the country? Like, how long a letter? Or maybe a single letter?). And that flower--everyone settled on "oh, that's a primrose, and primrose is the birthflower of February and there are two balls so that must be it."

So?! It also looks just like four other flowers I looked up...with still no connection to Milwaukee (like a violet would have).

And why does that drat cape have ruffles with ridges?

I have not seen many of the newer theories I am seeing here on Q4T. (I think thats a good thing)
I think Lake Park is the popular theory even though its not complete.

My idea on the ruffles is that must be what a tree on or around the treasure must look like. After 30 years we will be lucky if there is even a tree much less look like the image.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

Unfortunately it seems the one the illustrator knew the most about is the Cleveland one, which was found. :( I believe he suggested the location for that one.

I've always thought that he would be able to shed light on some of the things he painted even though he doesn't know the exact location.
For example he might be able to tell us what some of the unidenified shapes in the paintings were. Is this a lamp post? Is this a tree? etc. At this point any tiny little bit of info might help.

TheFritoB
Jul 9, 2001

Mene mehnemene menemee
Cask 8 - I'm in Houston and can go look in specific locations after this weekend. It would be unfortunate if the cask was in Hermann park as it's changed so much in 30 years.

Just discovered the nearby Sam Houston Race track races camels. link?

TheFritoB fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 18, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

rookhunter posted:

I've always thought that he would be able to shed light on some of the things he painted even though he doesn't know the exact location.
For example he might be able to tell us what some of the unidenified shapes in the paintings were. Is this a lamp post? Is this a tree? etc. At this point any tiny little bit of info might help.

Thing is, after Cleveland, he did an interview, or at least was quoted in one of the articles. He mentions that "there was something about the cup the Centaur was holding" and says he can't remember what it is. It was the fountain, and he had absolutely no reason to be coy, it was found. I'm not sure he actually remembers much.

I wouldn't mind sending my 4/church though, as that and the legeater are the closest and seeing a picture of it may help.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Seems that we could put up a kickstarter or something to help with that whole contract thing...

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 10 Milwaukee

The area of the Kosciuszko monument,

lolcat lady
May 3, 2009
Not really. No lines from the inner part.

lolcat lady fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 18, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Seems that we could put up a kickstarter or something to help with that whole contract thing...

Interesting idea. I'm game.

lolcat lady
May 3, 2009
It would be very weird to have a clue to a Polish themed park, if it should be German theme...just saying.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

rookhunter posted:

I have not seen many of the newer theories I am seeing here on Q4T. (I think thats a good thing)
I think Lake Park is the popular theory even though its not complete.

My idea on the ruffles is that must be what a tree on or around the treasure must look like. After 30 years we will be lucky if there is even a tree much less look like the image.

Didn't he say that he thought that some casks would take years -- if ever -- to find? I'd hope that he'd have given some serious thought to selecting clues that would hopefully be static for a long time.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Guuse posted:

Didn't he say that he thought that some casks would take years -- if ever -- to find? I'd hope that he'd have given some serious thought to selecting clues that would hopefully be static for a long time.

And he thought some would be found right away. Thought id post these:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 10 Milwaukee

The area of the Kosciuszko monument,

I don't think you needed someone else to tell you that there is no similarity between the portion of the illustration you highlighted and the monument. But then again, maybe I'm just not seeing what you're trying to point out. Can you explain what similarity you are seeing? It's a lot more helpful to have a verbal explanation alongside pictures.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

lolcat lady posted:

It would be very weird to have a clue to a Polish themed park, if it should be German theme...just saying.

I don't believe we have to adhere to a strict cultural constraint in these puzzles. Milwaukee is certainly more German than any other of the proposed locations. I'm not proposing Kosciuszko because I think the puzzle is Polish-centric. I'm not concerned with trying to justify the Polish element at all. All I care about is finding answers. At this point, if it's in the Lat/Long range of Milwaukee, then it's fair game.

Kosciuszko connects to serveral lines,

He is well educated: A man of letters
He's from a rural village: the country
He has 1 of 5 stars in the rank of General = 1/5 or a fifth
His rank and decoration might be what makes him proud.
He sits on a horse, making him tall.
He is bronze, which is a copper alloy, as the green patina corrosion suggests.
He is the same distance from City Hall as Mitchell Hall according to the compass used to draw an arc circle.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

I don't think you needed someone else to tell you that there is no similarity between the portion of the illustration you highlighted and the monument. But then again, maybe I'm just not seeing what you're trying to point out. Can you explain what similarity you are seeing? It's a lot more helpful to have a verbal explanation alongside pictures.

Of course, I have three layers selected. On top is the upside down shape of the woman's collar area. Next is a historic aerial from 1995 that shows the distinct curve of the path around the monument, forming a slightly skewed semicircle. Below is a more current color birdseye view, but the tree foiliage obscures the path. My yellow box is to show that the position of the monument and adjoined paths form a section of what looks like a repeated pattern on the collar. No, it's not exact, but it's what I think of as a similarity.

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
From reading Urban Smurf's contributions I can only say that he seems to just throw ideas out like a machine gun and hope that something sticks. Nothing that he has posted even remotely looks like he wants it to look like.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Abugadu posted:

Re: Milwaukee, Wonderstone was the marketed name of pyrophyllite from South Africa.

edit: also, if anyone was thinking Juneau Park, may want to get in contact with this guy and see if his ground-penetrating radar scan of the entire park came up with anything.

http://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/discovering-new-secrets-beneath-juneau-park-in-downtown-milwaukee/

For that square marker by the Knights of the Round Table in Juneau Park, what does it say on it? Can we get a transcript?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Morally Inept posted:

From reading Urban Smurf's contributions I can only say that he seems to just throw ideas out like a machine gun and hope that something sticks. Nothing that he has posted even remotely looks like he wants it to look like.

I am responding to questions. I'm guilty of throwing out lots of ideas. Wouldn't you hope you're ideas stick at some point. Hopefully you will ignore my posts in the future so you can avoid posting content with no real value. The purpose of this forum is to solve a goddamn frustrating puzzle, unless I'm mistaken. I want to say I appreciate the opportunity to reboot some of my theories here. I am diligent, I care to have a sense of connectedness in my ideas before I yield to the idea that this hunt is merely random objects in a general area.

Moving on, I really liked this visual assessment that wasn't covered during Egbert's success in Cleveland,

Notice the use of reversal and rotation on an actual map segment, implying a tracing of a city or park map. It may be helpful to look for that tactic in other images, which is what I've just done in my comparison to the pathway around Kosciuszko,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 19, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

Sorry to keep everyone in suspense.

From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing

Compare the shape of the railing which just happens to be beneath the bust of the woman with the shape of the curve of a harpsichord. The railing isn't a literal harpsichord, it mirrors the curve on both sides but the shape is unique to a harpsichord. I'm sure Preiss in his lyrical way saw this connection and painted the scene in his mind of the woman playing the instrument.

Compare the features of the the face on the Pabst Theater with the features on the illustration. The windswept hair is almost identical on the side, the thick pouty lips, the puffy chin, the rounded face, and the aquiline nose. In the painting, even the little patterns in her hair look vaguely like a seashell. The blue around her head reminds you of the sea, so does a seashell. Remember the pattern of the thing around her neck is similar to that on the Pabst Theater? Everything fits 100%.

Notice the balls match the circles on the side of the railing? Juggling = Playing the balls = playing the harpsichord.

I think there are a lot of things here that match a lot stronger than the connection with Marietta.

Now check out this circled park area next to City Hall. There are a few birch trees there. This is about 100 paces from the foot of the culvert, below the bridge(entrance to City Hall). I'd say this is a very good place to start poking around in.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2013

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think you are right about the woman, Neutrino...

Maybe the cask is inside The Safehouse :eek:

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

TipsyMc posted:

I think you are right about the woman, Neutrino...

Maybe the cask is inside The Safehouse :eek:

Now that is a possibility I'm more than willing to investigate!

Urban Smurf posted:

Which direction are you coming from to see that "woman with harpsichord"? Btw, she doesn't have any hands, maybe that's why she's silent.
I like the options of starting either at the Domes or the Wisconsin Club. Either is immaterial. They both can lead downtown to the Pabst Theater/City Hall combo which appears to be where most of the clues lead. I think it is foolish to discount the huge clues in the picture of the City Hall. To me it is like a neon beacon. Why someone would attach more meaning to amorphous or difficult clues and overlook an obvious and strong clue is odd.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 19, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Neutrino, that's a great connection to the harpsichord line. It's a creative visual twist and a piece of architecture. I don't agree that it's a matter of being stronger than the Marietta street name reference, it's just a different approach and one that's definately worth keeping in mind. Whichever way you go with it, there should be a swift process to the next clue. Which direction are you coming from to see that "woman with harpsichord"? Btw, she doesn't have any hands, maybe that's why she's silent.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

xie posted:

There is nothing currently in the park that could be a green tower of light, but the park has undergone substantial changes over the years.

This seems insanely obscure, but the first (credited) decorated Christmas Tree was just north of the Common on Follen Street. I have no idea which house it was, just that it was "on the corner of Follen Street."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Follen

From here

quote:

When Martineau arrived, Follen and his wife Eliza were fastening little candles to the tree, actually the cut-off tip of an evergreen, and hanging toys and sweets from the branches before little Charley and his playmates got home.

So taken poetically, "a green tower of lights?" Maybe there's a plaque on Follen Street that commemorates it.

Neutrino posted:

Compare the features of the the face on the Pabst Theater with the features on the illustration. The windswept hair is almost identical on the side, the thick pouty lips, the puffy chin, the rounded face, and the aquiline nose. In the painting, even the little patterns in her hair look vaguely like a seashell. The blue around her head reminds you of the sea, so does a seashell. Remember the pattern of the thing around her neck is similar to that on the Pabst Theater? Everything fits 100%.

A few people in Montreal-chat noted a resemblance between the picture and one of the statues in the park we were looking at. In that case though it was more like a caricature -- emphasizing his huge nose and wild hair to the sides. And I feel like I should know the face in the presumed New York picture, but I just can't place it. So it's entirely possible that there's something to the resemblance that you're seeing.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Guuse posted:

A few people in Montreal-chat noted a resemblance between the picture and one of the statues in the park we were looking at. In that case though it was more like a caricature -- emphasizing his huge nose and wild hair to the sides. And I feel like I should know the face in the presumed New York picture, but I just can't place it. So it's entirely possible that there's something to the resemblance that you're seeing.

It reminds me of Mad Magazine's coverboy, Alfred E. Neuman, with his big nose and silly face. That gives me the idea there could be a "fold-in" hidden in the image. Remember those visual puzzles in the back inside cover of the mag?

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

It reminds me of Mad Magazine's coverboy, Alfred E. Neuman, with his big nose and silly face. That gives me the idea there could be a "fold-in" hidden in the image. Remember those visual puzzles in the back inside cover of the mag?

Neat point. Yeah, I remember those. That would actually be something interesting to try, considering how popular those were back when the book was written. I wouldn't be shocked to see something like that worked in to a puzzle.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

Neutrino, that is a good interpretation of the harpsichord and best so far. I hate to argue that the City Hall and Pabst Theater do not necessarily indicate starting points. It's a good theory though and one that should be investigated thoroughly.

Someone asked for pictures of the Knights of the Round Table monument:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97715723@N04/9079426799/

Start here and there are four images in sequence for all sides. The rest of the images were taken of things I thought interesting as I went up and down Lincoln Memorial Drive a few weeks ago. Some were blurry and didn't make the upload.

Also, here is an image of the underneath the Lion's Bridges. Note the path which is made up of rocks and soil:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97715723@N04/9079350177/

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 9

I think it's fair to discern what manner of creature is eating the leg of the lamp, is it a cougar?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Morally Inept posted:

Yeah...I was trying to be more polite about saying that. There are a few people in this thread that I feel the same way about. I don't think the shotgun approach is the best way to go about this. It really clogs up the thread and takes attention away from ideas that are worth spending time on.

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

blurradial posted:

*Now to blow everyone's minds--here is a monument in Juneau Park that the internet does not have Binged or Googled. I only found out what it was by finding an old newspaper scan from the 1930s. It was placed there in 1926 by a service organization (like the Shriners) called the Knights of the Round Table. It looks like this:

And here is what you see when you look straight west while standing near it:

I was trying to point out before that both City Hall and the Pabst Theatre are visible at a distance in time in space--a direct line of sight--from Juneau Park near the Knights' stone. In the painting, City Hall (as a silhouette) is some distance away.

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

Yeah...I was trying to be more polite about saying that. There are a few people in this thread that I feel the same way about. I don't think the shotgun approach is the best way to go about this. It really clogs up the thread and takes attention away from ideas that are worth spending time on.

Maybe it is a deliberate ploy to throw us off the scent. :tinfoil:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

Not directing this at you specifically, LargeHadron, respectfully, I've put a lot of time and effort in the ideas I've shared so far. Any real criticism is welcome. Does stating that my posts don't resemble what I say they represent the attitude of someone who is invested in the value of their time when they themselves haven't properly investigated? You are welcome to post or PM a sincere and well thought out response. Elaborate on what specifically doesn't fit. I don't care if you've worked on this for years or only five minutes, if you've got gumption, you might be the one to figure out what ideas really are worth spending time on. Many of us have spent a lot of time on worthless hopeful ideas. There's much to be discovered. If something really doesn't fit, it shouldn't be too hard to say why and quickly dismiss it. If you're not seeing what I'm seeing, then look harder, ask a clarifying question, or be dismissive and go suck it.

In my first post to these boards, after first checking with Fistgrrl ('scuse the namedrop), because I didn't want to post anything that would derail the thread, I respectfully posted the image 6 with verse 5 theory (see near the end of Page 51) knowing that it would upset the faction of cask seekers in FOY. Honestly, I don't post my own speculations just to rile folks. I think it's a comprehensive theory and it hasn't been debunked in any real or considered way whatsoever. It isn't good enough to simply dismiss it by saying "well, any rock could look like that" or "that's wrong, it's FOY". Check the Cleveland discussions, people are still talking about whether the columns are exact or just a bit different. Let's get real about this here. Use you're time to work and grind in the direction you think this deserves, but know that you might ultimately be wrong and have wasted a lot of you're self-important time. Don't take this as a rant, take it as a reality check, and have my sincerest interest to be critical and open to this challenge.

There's been real work and lots of time and money put into searching FOY. Everyone seems so certain of all the random pieces of their puzzle. I agree that much fits where it fits, but only there in each spot with no strong continuity to the next spot. I suppose I should devote some time criticizing the FOY theory as I unfold my own alternative contribution. I'll be giving it some thought.

So just to summarize my position: Image 6 with Verse 5 fits Oregon not Florida, Verse 9 fits San Juan Island's American Camp where Captain Pickett set up to defend some farmers from the British (use the entire acrostic -float four lines to get TONWWASAYSSELBY, much better than ignore 10 lines to get TWNWBAAYSSSELOY).

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 12 with verse 9

Line 1: The first chapter

There is a huge rock (technically a glacial erratic) with a plaque on it in the middle of a field near the top of a grassland prairie. It's remote and leaves few options else to consider. It's called Robert's Rock, in honor of the man who established a guide to parliamentary procedure, Robert's Rules of Order. The plaque is dedicated by the Daughters of the American Revolution. After doing some digging, I discovered the fact that Washington State is the origin of the first chapter of the DotAR. Sure, it isn't some simple words at the entrance to FOY, but it is a fact found alternative.

The acrostic, float four lines, you get TONWWASAYSSELBY, which is nearly plain as a message parsed "TO NW WA SAYS SELBY" or "To northwest Washington," says Selby.

From the historical pamphlet promoting a self-guided walking tour (currently available and was no different back in 1980) at the American Camp on San Juan Island:

Look here for a quote from a tourism pamphlet that equates to Selby (William S. Harney's middle name) telling Pickett to go to northwest Washington.

Take a look at this entrance gate of the fence that Pickett's men (Army soldiers = Green) built around the camp:

Take a look at this nearby lighthouse which uses radio beacon as an alterative to guide ships in total darkness due to fog:

I'll have more to post on this later, and this is no ploy to distract.

Edit: notice the large drop cap numbers in my pics from the self-guided walking tour. Number 11 in that pamphlet serves to indicate the large flagpole inside the parade grounds of the American Camp. The time on the clock panel of the illustration could be an indication to find this marker number 11. A flagpole is a good object for setting up a point of reference for locating a specific spot. The flag itself is a good candidate for the verse line "stars move by day" as the flag flutters in the wind.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 12 with verse 9

Take a look at this entrance gate of the fence that Pickett's men (Army soldiers = Green) built around the camp:

Take a look at this nearby lighthouse which uses radio beacon as an alterative to guide ships in total darkness due to fog:

I'll have more to post on this later, and this is no ploy to distract.

I appreciate your contributions, but I think you focus too much on trying to match simple shapes like lines, squares and semi-circles. As mentioned in the guidelines, there are thousands, if not millions of those in any city.

Unique shapes for the NY/floating lady picture for example are the subdivision of the arch on the top, the notch in the arch due to the bird's wings, the onion domes, and maybe something in the dress that hasn't been figured out yet.