Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011
:frogsiren:Gotta do this bonus style:frogsiren:

Aix Athanatos posted:

:siren:I, Aix Athanatos, do hereby oath 1 Order Sergeant w/Spitfire, 1 Crusader Brethren w/HMG, and 1 Knight of the Holy Sepulchre.:siren:

Everything's from Corvus Belli again. I expect I'll be adding more but this is all I've got for now.

Oh, and holy poo poo I won something! :dance: I'll be sending out a PM shortly, Leperflesh.

Making an oath addition: Nicole, Sisters of the Blade Captain; Templar Knight; Unicorn (all from Reaper Miniatures) and Jeannne d'Arc 2.0 from Corvus Belli.

Jeanne d'Arc is my prize from last month, courtesy of Corvus Belli. Every model I have from these guys kicks rear end, I can't recommend them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

krushgroove posted:

Ah, I see, I see. OK, changed it to:

'requires a PRE-CONVERSION PICTURE. Pre-Conversion means before cutting anything or adding on any bits.'

So can we get grandfathered in? I've already started converting my alt universe oath, I wanted to see how it would go before I formally oathed it.

e: There has been a lot of conflicting guidance whether pre-conversion photos are needed or not. I started to go back through the thread and quote-compile them, but realized I'm not a dick.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 14, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

OneTrueBru posted:

I, OneTrueBru, oath an additional AoBR Ork Deffkopta for June

Hermetic posted:

I, Hermetic oath 1 kitbashed Ordo Malleus Inquisitor It is a conversion, using 28mm parts by Games Workshop, some putty, and maybe a chain (not pictured) Awwww, it's a baby!

Grey Hunter posted:

I Grey hunter, would like to add the following two Gladiators from the Spartacus Serpent and the Wolf expansion.

Aix Athanatos posted:

Making an oath addition: Nicole, Sisters of the Blade Captain; Templar Knight; Unicorn (all from Reaper Miniatures) and Jeannne d'Arc 2.0 from Corvus Belli.

Accepted.

Galaspar posted:

With June fast ticking away, Galaspar will oath four Imperial Guardsmen and a Lascannon Team
Theses are conversions mixing parts from Games Workshop, Victoria Lamb and Dragon Forge

Accepted for painting purposes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

So can we get grandfathered in? I've already started converting my alt universe oath, I wanted to see how it would go before I formally oathed it.

e: There has been a lot of conflicting guidance whether pre-conversion photos are needed or not. I started to go back through the thread and quote-compile them, but realized I'm not a dick.

The pre-conversion picture was always required, I guess there was confusion because I put 'before' picture in the How to Oath section and a lot of folks were thinking the unpainted but completed conversion was sufficient.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How about, as a compromise, maybe even for just this month only, you can post a pic of what the model normally looks like, as sold, so you can see the difference in what we've done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

If there's been inconsistency or conflicting guidance, that is probably my fault, and I apologize. Please show what you have now and I'll approve any good-faith effort that is in the spirit of the contest: showing off your conversion work to the thread. That goes for everyone else, as well.

This is a quarterly prize for the best conversion according to Manifest's best judgement, so if anyone missed out I'd encourage them to try again next month, or go for a following quarter.

e.

Fix posted:

How about, as a compromise, maybe even for just this month only, you can post a pic of what the model normally looks like, as sold, so you can see the difference in what we've done.

Not a bad way to work it. Show us how your conversion differs from the original model, so we can see what you did.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sounds great - this is one of those wrinkles we need to sort out early on, that's all.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SRM posted:

Just run outside, spray prime, and run back inside if you have air conditioning. I did that last summer when it was 80something and humid for a week at a time.

This is what I ended up doing and the Kazak ended up perfectly fine and even survived another run outside to hit a spot just under his backpack that had missed some coverage. :toot:

Good thing I've limited myself to only a single model this month.

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
I, tasty food, oath one Tau crisis suit from Games Workshop.

Leperflesh I thought I did the detectuv's Jurnal for last month, but I did not receive points for it, link here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post415839146 I hope that I did not do anything wrong :ohdear:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
In addition to the chain I mentioned (and still can't find :suicide:), I can use other bitz, right? Because I totally forgot to photograph the etched brass I want to put on the Inquisitor.

Bird With Teeth
Oct 21, 2010
I, Bird With Teeth oath this Cenwyll Daledancer from reaper minis

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I have a question about the Box Art bonus. Can the original art come from a Games Workshop codex? A lot of the space marine stuff is default Ultramarines on the box but there are lots of pictures and examples of other chapters in their respective codex. I am also wondering how exact the models have to match in order to qualify for the bonus points (this has to do more with me unsure if I can reproduce the quality level and less to do with not trying to follow the scheme). I am asking because I am thinking of doing a group of Tactical Spacemarines next month and want to do them in traditional Dark Angel colors but that is not what comes on the box nor is it on the website.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Ah but it is on the Dark Angels box. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat860009a&prodId=prod1060236

I'm curious what the ruling on this will be as well, just for future oaths.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Those are veterans though, which are completely different models. Normal tac marines don't get those spiffy robes. I mean its not really a big deal, but it will determine whether I do space mans or trolls for next months oath.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Wazzu posted:

I, Wazzu, do Oath to paint an entire Blood Bowl Orc team in the month of May.

This consists of:
1 Troll
4 Black Orcs
4 Blitzers
4 Lineorcs
2 Throwers
2 Goblins

All from Games Workshop. I guess I'm going for a theme (I'd drat well hope so) prize, all the other prizes and conditions confuse and frighten me.

Question: does the username in my picture have to be a physical one (like something I've written on) or can it just be edited onto the final image?

Saving the whales on this previous oath. I oath to finish the previous oath, meaning painting four black orcs and four blitzers, and basing all but one lineorc (my test model)

Hopefully I'll keep my word this month, before lowering my quotas.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I have a question about the Box Art bonus. Can the original art come from a Games Workshop codex?

Bavius posted:

I'm curious what the ruling on this will be as well, just for future oaths.

Yeah, 'box art' is just a general term for 'the official paint scheme from the manufacturer' so go for it. Just provide a link or something to the original, official artwork. This was intended to be a fun way to replicate the original paint from whatever company makes the miniatures you're painting.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren: I black_nexus oath 1 chaos ogre of nurgle(Irongut, Games workshop) :siren:

With battle damage!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tasty food posted:

Leperflesh I thought I did the detectuv's Jurnal for last month, but I did not receive points for it, link here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post415839146 I hope that I did not do anything wrong :ohdear:

My mistake. I've awarded the points!

Hermetic posted:

In addition to the chain I mentioned (and still can't find :suicide:), I can use other bitz, right? Because I totally forgot to photograph the etched brass I want to put on the Inquisitor.

Sure, you can use other bits. Small/trivial bits and pieces don't have to be in your original Oath post.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I have a question about the Box Art bonus. Can the original art come from a Games Workshop codex?

Yeah, that's fine.

Wazzu posted:

Saving the whales on this previous oath.

Hooray! Our first attempt at saving da whales! However, just as a reminder (and you may already be aware of this); this does not count as your June Oath. You will not earn any points for doing it. If you want points for June, you must also do a regular Oath.

On the spreadsheet, I only bother to track your Oath Complete post for Whales, so you won't see much there till you complete it, but you were correct to post this Whales Oath post and Sole.Sushi still has to approve it. So you're fine, etc. go forth and paint. :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I want to paint another mech but then I won't have one for august.

Unlike GW games with boxes of plastic minis, BT uses a few metal minis. And they're $15-20 each.
I don't have a big stockpile of unpainted minis. :(

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete!

Gather round, Gladiators! Socrates has a story to tell. It's a story of being a Themed Group - the theme being The Ancient Mediterranean. If you don't worry about the whole Greek/Roman thing and the several hundred intervening years, you can see old Socrates teaching the finer points of the gladiatorial arts to his men:

Let's take a moment to look at ol' Socrates there:

Why, he looks familiar! Indeed, he was modeled after the Reaper official Box Art!

Now that nasty tigerman has something to say regarding his Backstory

quote:

Every man is at war with every man in the absence of a sovereign to compel them towards peace. Life in these woods is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short - something must change. By steel and blood I will tame these wildlands. By sweat and sorrow I will force a lasting peace to the lake and its inhabitants. If you follow me, I cannot guarantee your safety. What I can guarantee is possibility - the possibility of a civilized future, in which the mad dog can find no quarter to make his home, in which he who breaks his covenant is unwelcome. We will all die, or we will all live - but if we live, we will live together. Talk among yourselves and reach consensus. I am your sovereign, or I am not. In either case, I am off to battle.

If you look closely at Mister Hobbes there, you'll see that something nasty happened to him - he's taken Battle Damage to the left eye!

To recap, I am claiming an entry to the Themed Group bi-monthly drawing. I am also claiming the Backstory and Box Art one-time bonuses.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

tasty food posted:

I, tasty food, oath one Tau crisis suit from Games Workshop.

Bird With Teeth posted:

I, Bird With Teeth oath this Cenwyll Daledancer from reaper minis

Wazzu posted:

Saving the whales on this previous oath. I oath to finish the previous oath, meaning painting four black orcs and four blitzers, and basing all but one lineorc (my test model)

Black_Nexus posted:

I black_nexus oath 1 chaos ogre of nurgle(Irongut, Games workshop)

Accepted.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
June Oath Complete

Probably could have speed painted the guy, but I wanted an easy month.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath 5 AoBR Ork Boyz (Games Workshop)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete - Click for larger pictures

Fly your flag
The guy in my gaming group that bought these and gave them to me for painting plays Imperial Guard, so each piece has a number of propaganda posters and such:

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01
One building is made as a dice tower, with a couple sloping ramps to ensure Maximum Randomness™:
]

For Battle Damage, these are already pretty busted up, so I tried to give the windows some scorch marks, to give the impression of an explosion or fire having blown out from within. Double The Fun too, for the jurnal and game aid.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 17, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dagon posted:

Fly your flag
The guy in my gaming group that bought these and gave them to me for painting plays Imperial Guard, so each piece has a number of propaganda posters and such:

I'm thinking these don't really qualify for Fly your Flag:

krushgroove posted:

Fly your flag Add and paint a banner, flag, pennant, etc. to your model or its base. Make it relevant to your army/faction!
(italics mine). While these posters are very cool, I don't think you've painted them.

Krushgroove, do you have an opinion on this? Am I reading it too strictly?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

(italics mine). While these posters are very cool, I don't think you've painted them.

Makes sense, I missed the word paint in there.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

Detektuv's Jurnal: Battle Damage
Each of the Great Bears has been damaged heavily.

Box Art
The Kayazy Eliminators were painted as close to the box scheme as I could get them, although I did the bases differently.

This should also qualify me for Double The Fun, since two bonuses have been done in the same month.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah you already caught this, I would have pinged up on it too.

drat, I'm too caught up with finishing some projects, need to get my oath in for the month :)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, declare Oath complete:

Trukk:

The Detektuv's jurnal is the scratch on the ram and the bullet holes in the sides of the Trukk.

These Boyz are also a Themed Group - Ta judges

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 18, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
:zombie: Oath Complete! :zombie:

Good lord this was impossible to photograph.

I imagine this is what The Expendables 8 will look like once the industry discovers necromantic resuscitation.

Battle Damage (June Detectuv’s Jurnal)

The zombies are absolutely covered in gore. I read the tutorial on 'less is more', thought about it for a bit, then threw it out the window. Bullet wounds and cuts seemed like obvious places to spatter and leak blood, with hands and mouths perhaps less so.

Speed Painting

I zoomed through painting the Marvin figure. (He is perhaps better known as Mr. Change-the-sculpt-before-Miramax-sues-us.)

Before:

After:

Parts list
I made sure to note the paint I was using on the aforementioned Marvin figure. All paints mentioned are Reaper Master Series Colors:
  • Brush-on Primer, white color
  • Flow Improver (thin your goddamn paints)
  • Ghoul Skin (base skin tone)
  • Moldy Skin (skin highlights)
  • Woodstain Brown (hair)
  • Earth Brown (suit)
  • Driftwood Brown (suit highlights)
  • Amber Gold (suit shirt)
  • Golden Blonde (highlights and glowy eyes)
  • Carnage Red (BLOOD)
  • Blood Red (WE NEED MORE BLOOD)
  • Entrail Pink, HD line (mouth, rib cavity)
  • Pure White (ribs)
  • Pure Black (gun basecoat, shoes)
  • Honed Steel (gun)
  • Shadowed Stone (shoe highlights)
  • Black Ink (shadowing)
  • Sapphire Blue (base cleanup)

Box Art

The paint job matches reasonably well (though I took some liberties on the blood spattering), and the base colors match up with each character sheet for easier visual ID during play.

Double the fun!

I needed to stop myself so that I could save some challenges for future months. :)

Edit: I knew I forgot something. This is a Themed Group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 18, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Dagon posted:

Oath Complete - Click for larger pictures

Oooooo what are these? Are they custom or can I throw my money away to fill out my ruined imperial city?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Monoliths posted:

Oooooo what are these? Are they custom or can I throw my money away to fill out my ruined imperial city?

From Ebay, and from Russia, is all I knew when my friend handed me a pile of sprues. Avenger_Mullah said they are "Tehnolog" and looking at those, it looks like the stuff.

Avenger_Mullah posted:

That's from tehnolog (that's how it's spelled...), a Russian toy company. Their website is only available in Russian, but you can buy them from a single ebay seller. Not gonna link it though since it seems to also sell illegal copies of Forgeworld bits. At least it seems shady that they've sold exactly the same bits for years now.

Fun bonus fact: Tehnolog is also the original creater/producer of Imex/Hexagon/Conflix/syberclicks stuff. It's just rebranded and repriced for the western markets.

lunchbox624
May 6, 2013
I, Lunchbox624, Oath to paint these 10 games-workshop terminators and 1 forge world Terminator

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raphus C posted:

I, Raphus C, declare Oath complete:

Themed group?

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
I oath this converted techmarine

Wish I had remembered about the kitbash category. Ho hum.

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 18, 2013

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Oath Complete!

I claim Aawww, it's a baby!, Detektuv's journal

Close up of battle damage:

I wish I haf oathed ten bowmen as well since they got finished in the same time, but oh well.

Pre-emptive counter for complaining about lack of basing: I'm painting these for my club a long with other people, so we are doing the basing last to make it coherent.

Re: mold lines: I'm lazy

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
:siren:I Oath 3 Tau Crisis Suits from Games Workshop for the month of June:siren:

I'm hoping this will work for a themed group, as they're pretty signficantly taller than 28mm. If not, I will add some drones.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booley posted:

:siren:I Oath 3 Tau Crisis Suits from Games Workshop for the month of June:siren:

I'm hoping this will work for a themed group, as they're pretty signficantly taller than 28mm. If not, I will add some drones.

I'd say yes, as they are pretty much ogre-sized which is what I thought of as the next scale up from 28mm.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

lunchbox624 posted:

I, Lunchbox624, Oath to paint these 10 games-workshop terminators and 1 forge world Terminator

Namenlos posted:

I oath this converted techmarine

Booley posted:

I Oath 3 Tau Crisis Suits from Games Workshop for the month of June

Accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oath Completed!

I lay claim to both Detektuv’s Jurnal: Battle Damage as well as a Themed Group of Dark Angels Vehicles

Here are some additional photos

I really had trouble with those decals. I followed the instructions that I got form GW and first did hardcoat then the decal then lahmian medium, but that left them terrible looking. I tried to mess with them but was never able to get them perfect. Maybe someone has a guide they could point me at as I have always been interested in doing custom decals but am always discouraged on the idea after messing with GW decals.

So this came really close to happening:

I like to think is some alternate universe I went through with it and it turned out awesome.

• Locked thread