Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GulagDolls posted:

there's only one bad front mission game.

I'm backing this guy. I am actually curious to hear which one(s?) you think are the bad ones, Papercut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I didn't think Gun Hazard was very good.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got a cheap PSP, what are the best RPGs for it? I heard trails in the sky is means to be good.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Brasseye posted:

I got a cheap PSP, what are the best RPGs for it? I heard trails in the sky is means to be good.

There are a ton of good RPGs. Trails is good, then there's Persona 2, Persona 3 Portable, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Crisis Core, Y's 7. And there all the PS1 rpgs. If you like SRPGs there is FFT, Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea 1 & 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm backing this guy. I am actually curious to hear which one(s?) you think are the bad ones, Papercut.

I hope he means evolved. And maybe 4, though 4 was more disappointing than outright bad.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

fronz posted:

says the guy who likes earthbound, third worst game of all time.

This is a troll right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

fronz posted:

says the guy who likes earthbound, third worst game of all time.

I will come through the internet to fight you.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

fronz posted:

e: The ActRaiser sequel was really weird because they somehow completely misunderstood which half of that game people actually liked.

They did make the Soul Blazer games which were pretty similar to Actraiser 1.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

a ton of good RPGs

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I didn't think Gun Hazard was very good.

Gun Hazard was average at worst.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope he means evolved. And maybe 4, though 4 was more disappointing than outright bad.

Yeah I was really only talking about Evolved.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I didn't even know about this until I saw a small demo station at E3, but apparently there's a new Ys game coming to the Vita, Ys: Memories of Celceta. If I remember right, it's supposed to be a sort of prequel, since Adol looks hella young. Built on an evolved Ys 7 engine from the looks of things, and has a huge world to explore. Not quite open-world, but I remember the guy showing me the map of the place and it was really, really big with a lot of stuff to find, lots of places to return to with new skills, etc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a reimagination of Ys IV, which timeline-wise takes place right after Ys II, indeed making it one of Adol's first adventures. It's actually the first version of Ys IV Falcom made themselves; the previous versions were by Hudson (Dawn of Ys) and Tonkin House (Mask of the Sun) which conflicted with each other in terms of canon.

Either way, I'm looking forward to Celceta a lot.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I really, really hope Dragon Quest 7 does get a translation. I think it's the only thing at the moment I am actually really looking forward to on the 3DS. The new Zelda looks like it will be a lot of fun and I'm stoked with the retro design and feel, but come on, gimme some DQ7, Nintendo!

In other news, as was recently discussed, I am giving up on Final Fantasy IV after all. Pity, because I was really looking forward to playing that one.

I'm now a couple hours into FF9. I have just beaten some big plant thing and saved the girl, and now am wandering around on the overworld map for the first time. Anyone got some pointers or whatever else for someone in the early stages of FF9 and super keen to really enjoy this game?

CyclicalAberration
Feb 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Fable III is bad enough that I skipped owning it for nothing because the game isn't worth that level of exertion. Fable II is the only good one in the trilogy and its a drat shame they never bothered to work on one without Peter Molyneaux because it might actually be fun.

What's so bad about the first Fable? I played the Lost Chapters one on PC and thought it was great. I found it charming with fun (although stupid easy) combat. While it isn't amazing, I can't think of a reason someone would think it's awful. I didn't really see any of the press for it so I wasn't all HYPE, which seems to be the reason I actually enjoyed it?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did they unfuck DQ7 on the 3DS (compared to the PSX version)? I can't fathom why anyone would want to run on that treadmill otherwise.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I really, really hope Dragon Quest 7 does get a translation. I think it's the only thing at the moment I am actually really looking forward to on the 3DS. The new Zelda looks like it will be a lot of fun and I'm stoked with the retro design and feel, but come on, gimme some DQ7, Nintendo!

In other news, as was recently discussed, I am giving up on Final Fantasy IV after all. Pity, because I was really looking forward to playing that one.

I'm now a couple hours into FF9. I have just beaten some big plant thing and saved the girl, and now am wandering around on the overworld map for the first time. Anyone got some pointers or whatever else for someone in the early stages of FF9 and super keen to really enjoy this game?

If you enjoy characterization talk to all the NPCs. They develop and tell you their stories and how the world events affected them as the game progresses.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Dross posted:

This is a troll right?

It's just fronz :unsmith:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Did they unfuck DQ7 on the 3DS (compared to the PSX version)? I can't fathom why anyone would want to run on that treadmill otherwise.

Apparently they did. I read about how tedious DQ7 was on PSX and that they fixed a bunch of stuff, but it is only available in Japan now, with no set international release. :smith:

I am also going to have to wait quite a while for Etrian Odyssey IV to make it over here. Bummer.

Kild posted:

If you enjoy characterization talk to all the NPCs. They develop and tell you their stories and how the world events affected them as the game progresses.

That's good to know - thank you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CyclicalAberration posted:

What's so bad about the first Fable? I played the Lost Chapters one on PC and thought it was great. I found it charming with fun (although stupid easy) combat. While it isn't amazing, I can't think of a reason someone would think it's awful. I didn't really see any of the press for it so I wasn't all HYPE, which seems to be the reason I actually enjoyed it?

With Lost Chapters its a pretty fun and complete game but not particularly great. Without them and their associated content its a really short game that feels like a graveyard of unfinished ideas.

If you were an unlucky soul and read any of the pre-release hype it was a balloon that didn't so much deflate over the short adventure so much as unceremoniously burst in your face.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rascyc posted:

Stuff I recall changing/hearing secondhand had changed:
- there is now a Shard Radar to find them with more ease
- the usual portable port stuff: tweaking how much gold/XP you get from enemies and need to level up
- I want to say I heard that now all fights give JP? Or they've seriously redesigned this so it's almost impossible to gently caress yourself out of job points?
- I believe the custom village works differently now too
- The opening's supposed to be a bit quicker, MAYBE Dharma too

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

People say to steal from every boss, but up until Disk 3 all the stuff you can steal shows up in shops later, which is also the point where you can make stealing much faster with an ability. So definitely try to steal from as many bosses as you can, but feel free to just kill whatever you're fighting if it's taking twenty minutes or whatever.

Also, don't sell anything. And Chocobo Hot and Cold is the best minigame ever, so look forward to that.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Stuff I recall changing/hearing secondhand had changed:
- there is now a Shard Radar to find them with more ease
- the usual portable port stuff: tweaking how much gold/XP you get from enemies and need to level up
- I want to say I heard that now all fights give JP? Or they've seriously redesigned this so it's almost impossible to gently caress yourself out of job points?
- I believe the custom village works differently now too
- The opening's supposed to be a bit quicker, MAYBE Dharma too

Apparently jobs have less carry over between them to encourage you to switch between them more, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sounds nice. The original version actively penalized you for switching jobs without mastering them and many only gained abilities worth having after you max them them out (taking 200 battles in the process)

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
Suikoden was in my top 3 games growing up (Shining Force II being my favorite and Secret of Mana coming behind it). I have kind of fallen out with jrpgs over the years though and have no been able to get into one in a long time despite trying with many different games (because from the time I was old enough to read up until my mid-late teens jrpgs were my thing). I have a six and seven year old now and wanted something to play that I wouldn't poo poo bricks if I got interrupted (trying to play something like Metro 2033 or Skyrim etc for instance is just annoying when you can't wear headphones and are constantly hit with tidal waves of inane comments from children) and after reading 139 pages of this thread I finally said gently caress it and started downloading Exit Fate. Is there anything I should know going into this? I don't have time these days to be super obsessive about things or do multiple play through of games but I'd like to make sure I don't gently caress myself. From what I've gathered reading the thread just jumping in is fine but just wanted to make double sure.

edit: Also can I use my ps3 controller with it? I have another usb controller that might work but I'd rather use DS3 tool and PS3 controller if possible.

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 18, 2013

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mosaic Perception posted:

Suikoden was in my top 3 games growing up (Shining Force II being my favorite and Secret of Mana coming behind it). I have kind of fallen out with jrpgs over the years though and have no been able to get into one in a long time despite trying with many different games (because from the time I was old enough to read up until my mid-late teens jrpgs were my thing).

I was the same way, the only JRPG I've played in the past 10 years is FF XII. I just can't get into 99% of JRPGs with voice acting, they're just way to anime. However I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles right now and it's definitely worth playing. It still has a bit of that weird Japanese obsession of adding cute things (creatures called Nopon in Xenoblade) but the rest of the game is excellent. Some of the most impressive environments I've seen in a game, especially if you're playing with a Dolphin emulator with triple the resolution. The combat is enjoyable too, and thus far I like all the characters except the Nopon. And the voice acting is pretty good, and they use British VAs for a nice change from the usual American accented translations.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Mosaic Perception posted:

finally said gently caress it and started downloading Exit Fate. Is there anything I should know going into this? I don't have time these days to be super obsessive about things or do multiple play through of games but I'd like to make sure I don't gently caress myself. From what I've gathered reading the thread just jumping in is fine but just wanted to make double sure.

Exit Fate is ridiculously well designed, it's impossible to permanently miss out on any characters so don't worry about that. Underlevelled characters also get caught up within a couple of fights so don't worry about which guys you're using.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mustang posted:

However I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles right now and it's definitely worth playing. It still has a bit of that weird Japanese obsession of adding cute things (creatures called Nopon in Xenoblade) but the rest of the game is excellent.

You haven't experienced enough of Riki to understand why it was necessary for Nopon to exist.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Riki sneaky.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
The best part of Xenoblade is seeing all of your lovely reject party members be half naked in cutscenes because you sold their armor and never touched them again. Hard to take Dunban's bring down attitude seriously when he is dressed in nothing but board shorts and shower shoes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Authorman posted:

The best part of Xenoblade is seeing all of your lovely reject party members be half naked in cutscenes because you sold their armor and never touched them again. Hard to take Dunban's bring down attitude seriously when he is dressed in nothing but board shorts and shower shoes.

The funny thing is that putting them in some of the better armor in the later parts of the game will have the same effect. It's literally body oil.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mustang posted:

and they use British VAs for a nice change from the usual American accented translations.

That's because it was localized for Europe first and it had to be petitioned to be even released in the USA.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Tae posted:

That's because it was localized for Europe first and it had to be petitioned to be even released in the USA.

The only petition that ever worked on Nintendo. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Unholy Ghost posted:

The only petition that ever worked on Nintendo. :v:

Hey, don't forget we're finally getting Earthbound in the PAL territories too.

Only took nearly twenty years.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

TJO posted:

Exit Fate is ridiculously well designed, it's impossible to permanently miss out on any characters so don't worry about that. Underlevelled characters also get caught up within a couple of fights so don't worry about which guys you're using.

There's just one thing that can trip you up: if it looks like a big fight is coming up and the game gives you the option to save your game, save in an alternate slot. If you reload to that save, you won't get the chance to leave the area and grind before being thrown into the boss fight. This happens at least twice in the game, once fairly close to the end and once just before the final boss.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So I picked up Tales of Graces F partly on the earlier recommendations of this thread, and they really did an excellent job on the battle system. I've played quite a few Tales games but to date have only finished one, mostly because the high encounter rates coupled with pretty tedious combat sucks all the fun out of them eventually.
But not so with this one so far. It's just fun. The CC system as actually a really nice alternative to the usual MP stuff, and help combat seem a lot more fluid.

On to the bad though, I've played a lot of JRPG's to date and it's rare that their stories make me genuinely angry, but my God What the gently caress kinda evil super genocide does Richard have to pull of before the heroes stop sitting around with thumbs up their asses questioning his motives? Dudes obviously evil, but nope, can't stop him because he's our friend!

Still if a good combat system can pull me through a game as bad as Star Ocean 4 then I should be able to get through this.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is Suikoden Tierkreis a) any good and b) anything like any of the main Suikoden games?

Dec 26, 2012

Authorman posted:

It's funny because Dunban is mechanically relatively ok with being naked. I didn't have clothes on him for the second half of the game or so and I was using him regularly.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Authorman posted:

You sidelined the best tank? For shaaaaaame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Suikoden Tierkreis a) any good and b) anything like any of the main Suikoden games?

No and No