Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Magellan's always been paramecia, and people have been saying that since day one. Some people thought he was a logia, but to be a logia you have to control and be made of your "element". Luffy is made of rubber, but he cant like, make tyres and throw them at people. Magellan's power is like Mr 3's, he just secretes poison.

Whoa, Mr. 3 isn't also logia? I guess it is true that Luffy did punch both Mr. 3 and Magellan without haki.

Petiso posted:

Luffy's body has the properties of rubber but it ISN'T rubber, nor he can turn into rubber.

I don't see how he isn't rubber. I guess I see the part about being unable to say generate rubber like how some logias can make components of their body that don't count as their body and Luffy can't produce rubber. I still find the line between Logia-like Paramecia and full Logia types somewhat arbitrary, but I guess it boils down to if they can be affected by things outside of their natural counter and the power of the sea - ie, can Luffy punch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Luffy, Magellan and Mr. 3 can never change their bodies so they have no internal organs and are composed only of rubber, poison or wax - full proper logias like Smoker and Ceaser can.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I don't see how he isn't rubber. I guess I see the part about being unable to say generate rubber like how some logias can make components of their body that don't count as their body and Luffy can't produce rubber. I still find the line between Logia-like Paramecia and full Logia types somewhat arbitrary, but I guess it boils down to if they can be affected by things outside of their natural counter and the power of the sea - ie, can Luffy punch them.

You may as well say "Luffy is rubber" and be satisfied with that.

There's definitely a distinction between Logias and those few Paramecias that make you think "oh, a Logia user" when you first see them. An easy way to separate Logias from Paramecias is to see whether their element/substance is naturally-occurring or a manufactured substance. That covers fruits like Magellan's poison and Mr. 3's wax. It also explains more exotic Logias like Caribou's swamp fruit (water and earth) and Blackbeard's Darkness fruit (probably as exotic as a Logia could get - the ability to turn into and produce a fundamental force).

tsob posted:

Luffy, Magellan and Mr. 3 can never change their bodies so they have no internal organs and are composed only of rubber, poison or wax - full proper logias like Smoker and Ceaser can.

Yeah, this is one of those weird quirks... Their bodies take on the properties of their fruit (see Mr. 3 lighting his hair-wick or Magellan being immune to poison and gaining a taste for poisoned food), but they can't physically become their element. Like, Magellan wouldn't be able to turn into a puddle of poison and splash around everywhere, but he could project a huge wave of poison and hang ten on it.

Although they definitely still have organs - poor Magellan still has to go to the bathroom.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 21, 2013

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

tsob posted:

Well Magellan and Mr 3 are not literally made of poison and wax, they just produce it. Luffy is made of rubber but he has no control over the amount of rubberiness he has, he can't switch it off or produce more rubber like a Logia could.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DizzyBum posted:

(see Mr. 3 lighting his hair-wick or Magellan being immune to poison and gaining a taste for poisoned food)

He didn't gain a taste for poison food, he just thought he was supposed to eat poison food because he's a poison man. :v:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Monet's snow fruit (a different form of ice)

You might want to spoil that.
I guess I still considered rubber, wax, and poison to be naturally occurring elements. Shortly after I brought it up, I tried to figure out what the terms were supposed to actually mean and found Logia is 自然系 "nature system", while Paramecia is 超人系 "superhuman system", which sounds a lot more powerful in English, haha. (Zoan is just 動物系 "animal system").
So I guess if you get some kind of logia-like fruit, if it is not a "natural" thing, then Nami can punch you.

edit: Unless your Blackbeard

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 2, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode's up.

Lot's of :yohoho: and it turns out the samurai is pretty cool.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Blackbeard is a logia exception. He cannot actually become intangible like other logia-types can because his particular powers prevent it by draW in damage and actually hurting him MORE in the exchange. He maintains a human form and darkness kinda oozes around him like Magellan's poison. At the same time he is considered a logia because he controls a basic natural force (gravity).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Sengoku's voice actor has passed away.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat. :( 81 is a hell of an age to be voice acting, but it was an appropriately awesome role at least.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
It looks like this Vergo guy has Law's heart? I'm following along with the manga and it doesn't show this at all, what's the deal.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It was definitely in the manga, you just dont remember I guess.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

KoB posted:

It was definitely in the manga, you just dont remember I guess.

I don't read ahead, I watch a few episodes then read the accompanying chapters. The chapters don't show him having his heart where the episodes do, thought it was pretty strange since it seems like a pretty big reveal.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
New episode:

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Not his best disguise...

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Not his best disguise...

He's getting better.

I forgot how different he looked back then.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

He's getting better.

I forgot how different he looked back then.

I think at the time Oda was specifically trying not to make Chopper a cute anime mascot, but then he slowly evolved into one anyway.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Drakkel posted:

I think at the time Oda was specifically trying not to make Chopper a cute anime mascot, but then he slowly evolved into one anyway.

If you look at some of his early concept sketches, even early Chopper is more mascoty than proto-Chopper who was more like you would think a Reindeerman would look in Oda style. I think he had a sword too?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I think I remember seeing a picture of something that looked like Franky-Chopper with a cigar in its mouth. Not sure where I saw it, or if it was concept art. A cursory search of Google Images didn't find it either.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silento posted:

I think I remember seeing a picture of something that looked like Franky-Chopper with a cigar in its mouth. Not sure where I saw it, or if it was concept art. A cursory search of Google Images didn't find it either.

this?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

No, it was sized like current Chopper but it had the face of an adult male. I might have seen it in a nightmare caused by the Franky/Chopper body swap, who knows?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Like the body of a reindeer but a head of a human?

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 19, 2013

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I like how much Usopp looks like Blackbeard in this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Kild posted:

Like the body of a reindeer but a head of a human?

Yea, this looks like it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Well, there's this. I think there were some other crossovers with other characters and Chopper, but Chopper is a plague. I know so many people that don't know what One Piece is about that have Chopper dolls or phone charms or whatever because he's "cute". There are also a lot of Hello Kitty x Chopper crossovers.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They forced Oda to make a mascot and he hated it until he realized that the mascot can actually be a good character as well.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The first Con I went to like 4 or 5 years ago I got really pissed at chopper because that was the ONLY One Piece stuff they had. It's gotten much better since then though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

The first Con I went to like 4 or 5 years ago I got really pissed at chopper because that was the ONLY One Piece stuff they had. It's gotten much better since then though.

Don't ever come to Japan then.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
So.. When are we going to get a new opening?

KoB
May 1, 2009

ArcaneTree posted:

So.. When are we going to get a new opening?

We already did, but for some reason funimation doesn't air it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

KoB posted:

We already did, but for some reason funimation doesn't air it.

I wonder if it's some kind of licensing issue. It weirded me out because I spent May in Japan and saw the new opening on broadcast, but when I came back the new episodes online still had We Go.

Here's the new one if you haven't seen it. It's one of my favorites now.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

I wonder if it's some kind of licensing issue. It weirded me out because I spent May in Japan and saw the new opening on broadcast, but when I came back the new episodes online still had We Go.

Here's the new one if you haven't seen it. It's one of my favorites now.

Are there any spoilers in it?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

Are there any spoilers in it?

It's got some scenes from the first half of the Punk Hazard arc.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
It was pretty good, sure glad I didn't watch that earlier though, spoils the Law and Doflimingo reveals.
Do animation companies just assume people read the manga?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ArcaneTree posted:

It was pretty good, sure glad I didn't watch that earlier though, spoils the Law and Doflimingo reveals.
Do animation companies just assume people read the manga?

It's Japans best selling manga by a huge factor so probably.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That and anime tends to not do a lot of fretting about spoilers. Admittedly less so nowadays, but a few decades ago it'd be fairly common to have episode previews that literally say stuff like "In the next episode, this happens and this character dies".

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Srice posted:

That and anime tends to not do a lot of fretting about spoilers. Admittedly less so nowadays, but a few decades ago it'd be fairly common to have episode previews that literally say stuff like "In the next episode, this happens and this character dies".

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One of the first few openings spoiled Robin being in the crew like way before Alabasta even started.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

One of the first few openings spoiled Robin being in the crew like way before Alabasta even started.

The third, though it was actually really close to the end, like ten episodes before Alabasta wrapped up and Robin joined. Still ruined the twist. Also one of the better openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes did it as well, though less with episode titles and more with the end-of-episode narration, which is why I tend to suggest to new viewers that they skip the narrator foreshadowing at the end of each episode.

Gurren Lagann actually subverted that annoying trope by having a spoilery episode title show up at the END of the episode.

Hell, One Piece is no stranger to this as well with "The Death of Portgas D. Ace", though that one was more of a "yeah, he dead" since Ace had already been gored through the chest by a fist made of lava in the previous chapter/episode.

edit:

gnome7 posted:

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.
lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 22, 2013