Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Protocol 5 posted:

This is way better if you have played Dark Souls but don't know what's coming. The first time I saw this I was confused wondering that the trick was supposed to be until I saw the invader's sword bounce back, immediately went, "Awwwww poo poo," and then the music kicks in and out comes the Greataxe. It's not the particularly creative, but the payoff is incredible.

I have Dark Souls but haven't actually started playing it yet (it's behind a long list of poo poo I got last Christmas during sales) so I'm wondering what the sword bouncing off was. That was the one part of this I didn't get having no experience with the game. Is that like a parry? What exactly did he do that made the opening for the greataxe?

That said even I got a great payoff from that moment. The music was perfect. Though the best part to me was the superimposed *gulp* backing up against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TheSpiritFox posted:

That was the one part of this I didn't get having no experience with the game. Is that like a parry? What exactly did he do that made the opening for the greataxe?

That's pretty much exactly what it was.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, if you can time the parry (pretty much just a short swat with the shield) right as the enemy's weapon is moving towards you, it connects and knocks the enemy off balance for a good two seconds or so. If you are in close enough and make a normal attack during this window, you make a riposte that deals horrific damage.

You also need to predict when the enemy is actually making his attack. What you're seeing is probably a good second behind of what's really going on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cheat table hack guy sounds funny because he back stabbed with his fist. To clarify, backstabs with bare fists deal zero damage [relatively] and lock the other player into an animation that makes them invulnerable until they get up. It's about as harmful as jumpin out at somebody and yelling "SURPRISE", lt's just a quick scare more than anything, especially during a boss fight.

I wonder, can invading characters attack the boss?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

death .cab for qt posted:

Cheat table hack guy sounds funny because he back stabbed with his fist. To clarify, backstabs with bare fists deal zero damage [relatively] and lock the other player into an animation that makes them invulnerable until they get up. It's about as harmful as jumpin out at somebody and yelling "SURPRISE", lt's just a quick scare more than anything, especially during a boss fight.

I wonder, can invading characters attack the boss?

When the invaded person enters the boss room, you get unsommoned. it's literally getting to home base in baseball, but instead of getting a point, you fight a big monster and will most likely get shat on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dizz posted:

When the invaded person enters the boss room, you get unsommoned. it's literally getting to home base in baseball, but instead of getting a point, you fight a big monster and will most likely get shat on.

No I know this, but he was changing his phantom color using cheat engine while inside the boss room, where an invader shouldn't be.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

scamtank posted:

Yeah, if you can time the parry (pretty much just a short swat with the shield) right as the enemy's weapon is moving towards you, it connects and knocks the enemy off balance for a good two seconds or so. If you are in close enough and make a normal attack during this window, you make a riposte that deals horrific damage.

You also need to predict when the enemy is actually making his attack. What you're seeing is probably a good second behind of what's really going on.

Pretend-Newbie Guy is also wearing a ring that increases riposte/backstab damage and gives the user a special animation for those attacks.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I want to bring up something I did a few months ago before a certain game came out but I feel that it'd turn into drama importation so I don't want to get in trouble for it. It does count as a major grief because of what's happened though, and still is happening.

No go, sorry about that.

But I'll just ask this for now: Why the hell do people care so much about leaderboards?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 17, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I want to bring up something I did a few months ago before a certain game came out but I feel that it'd turn into drama importation so I don't want to get in trouble for it. It does count as a major grief because of what's happened though, and still is happening.

But I'll just ask this for now: Why the hell do people care so much about leaderboards?

PM me your story? I'm curious

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Lunethex posted:

Come on jackass, don't grief us by not posting the story

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
It's only importing drama if you're upset about it and bringing it up solely for the purpose of whining and trying to bring attention to your awful, awful plight and this guy should TOTALLY be ashamed of himself MODS BAN HIM NOW.

If it's a major grief and you're posting it for our amusement then by all means, tell us about it.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Lunethex posted:

Dale Carnegie tells us that validation of identity is everything and leaderboards are validation for some nerds' identities as elite XBLA gamers and post your dumb story nerd.

Also in regards to the very negative and image macro-laden reaction to someone admitting to using cheats, it's probably way healthier to play it by seeing whether the person is doing it to "win" or to entertain, though the line can be blurry. For example, I knew a guy who hacked in Modern Warfare deathmatches and thought it was pretty lame until I learned his explicit purpose for doing so was to harvest the explosive microphone rage from making the most unquestionably bullshit game-winning kills possible.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
So I posted that Dark Souls Patches video and a friend returned fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatBCZ47wOY

Oh my god.

One more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQildO_YpA

Rixen fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 17, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rixen posted:

So I posted that Dark Souls Patches video and a friend returned fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatBCZ47wOY

50 seconds into this video is one of the funniest loving things I've ever seen.

It's the shrug. The shrug makes it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Rixen posted:

Oh my god.

What's happening where that enemy just kinda runs off into midair?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Wait mods can be used in PvP?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Wait mods can be used in PvP?

To be fair, these are simple texture replacements, so I'd assume they won't trigger whatever hacking detection (ahaha) this game has (AHAHA).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Weatherman posted:

What's happening where that enemy just kinda runs off into midair?

Horrible, horrible connection issues.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alabaster White posted:

Horrible, horrible connection issues.
My guess is that on the other end, the player actually fell into the elevator and kept running against the wall (and then did the shrug) before coming up again, but the local client missed a beat and just kept moving the player according to their movements, collision and physics be damned.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Not sure if it counts as grief, but it looked like a big pain in the rear end to setup, in a very early section of Dark Souls (Undead Parish) there is a large knight with a big Sword and a Tower shield. He's normally easy to dispatch on his own because it moves very slow, but when it hits it hits like a loving fist of god.

I saw a video of somebody Gravelording the Parish, which basically puts high-damaging versions of the normal PvE enemies in the game world. On top of that he was using a seldom used spell 'Undead Rapport' which briefly turns undead to your cause. Lastly he'd use the Channeler's Trident special ability which gives a damage boost to your allies.

The result was the Gravelord getting his victim to aggro the the Knight, whereupon the gravelord would join in and try to tie up his victim while the Knight came in and HULK-SMASH'ed those poor victims in a single blow.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 17, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

In my mind, "griefing" implies there's something a little off or roguish about the behavior that's used to harass someone. Using that many disused and purpose-built elements to elegantly gently caress with people is just classy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

scamtank posted:

In my mind, "griefing" implies there's something a little off or roguish about the behavior that's used to harass someone. Using that many disused and purpose-built elements to elegantly gently caress with people is just classy.

Maybe "gravelording" is some kind of exploit? I don't play this game :shobon:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Nope. Gravelording is essentially when you summon a fuckton of extra-strong monsters in someone else's game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you swear loyalty to a certain character you can use items to summon more powerful - extremely powerful at that - enemies into other players' games, that will persist until either they or another find your "sign" then use it to invade and kill you. This video shows an invader suffering it quite badly in the second half... :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Willfrey posted:

Not sure if it counts as grief, but it looked like a big pain in the rear end to setup, in a very early section of Dark Souls (Undead Parish) there is a large knight with a big Sword and a Tower shield. He's normally easy to dispatch on his own because it moves very slow, but when it hits it hits like a loving fist of god.

I saw a video of somebody Gravelording the Parish, which basically puts high-damaging versions of the normal PvE enemies in the game world. On top of that he was using a seldom used spell 'Undead Rapport' which briefly turns undead to your cause. Lastly he'd use the Channeler's Trident special ability which gives a damage boost to your allies.

The result was the Gravelord getting his victim to aggro the the Knight, whereupon the gravelord would join in and try to tie up his victim while the Knight came in and HULK-SMASH'ed those poor victims in a single blow.

To be clear, the Gravelord only curses other worlds. This is kind of a common complaint. Gravelording can lead to incredible griefs, but the Gravelord player barely has any feedback. They can't watch their black phantoms rip players apart, they can only get invaded by people who find his sign. The player in this situation might actually be a Gravelord (I don't know if Gravelords can be gravelorded) but it wouldn't really be a factor in the rest of the grief except for covenant weapons/spells.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Argas posted:

To be clear, the Gravelord only curses other worlds. This is kind of a common complaint. Gravelording can lead to incredible griefs, but the Gravelord player barely has any feedback. They can't watch their black phantoms rip players apart, they can only get invaded by people who find his sign. The player in this situation might actually be a Gravelord (I don't know if Gravelords can be gravelorded) but it wouldn't really be a factor in the rest of the grief except for covenant weapons/spells.

Ah that explains things. I occasionally would get the infected world message but to the actual mechanics of gravelording? I have no clue.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Yeah gravelord covenant is a mess and the phantoms only show up on ng+ or more while not preventing people on new game from being infected. Only gravelord when trying to infect someone streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILwbhy0Y5s

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUJiBYX4NV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YSAcLOwPM

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 17, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Awww Lazy whyed you change your avatar, Alvina was so :3:

:sigh:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Coming up with Battlefield 3 again, I have a treat for you all. After seeing some comments on one of Panemon's videos I got wind of someone else responsible for stream trolling, but this guy doesn't hack. He instead spawns as support on the complete middle of nowhere side of any map and then suicides after dropping an ammo box, switching to a class that has the MAV. Then he has infinite MAVs he keeps using to follow and kill the streamer with by either ramming them or shooting them. His names go by InfiniteAmmoMAVs or [UMAV]ThatMAVTroll (With the troll dog tags).

And he has done several videos and even has a new video planned and I was surprised to see just how upset he could make one person...

Magres posted:

Awww Lazy whyed you change your avatar, Alvina was so :3:

:sigh:

Out of curiosity what was his old avatar like? I've seen him with that one for the past day or so.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It was a character from Dark Souls that's a cat/rat (it's a forest witch named Alvina and she's like German Shepherd sized, a quadruped, and furry, and it's kinda hard to tell what she is) and is awesome

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A Cheshire Cat that hangs out on the windowsill of a ruined chapel and tells you to murder, essentially.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It's a simple one but dear god binding mouse4 to "say This kill sent from my MacBook Pro." in TF2 can be funny.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEG7nxBxMz8

I loving love Emarrel. Pretty much all of his videos - both PvP and PvE - are really good. This is one of my favorites of his PvP vids

In the above video he invades and murders a guy repeatedly, so his victim turns on an infinite HP hack. Emarrel, not to be deterred from his bloody path, boots him off a cliff, killing him despite his bullshit. Another invasion later, the guy summons a partner to make it 2v1 AND continues to be a cheating twerp with infinite HP, and Emarrel still finds a way to boot him off a cliff and kill him.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Magres posted:

I loving love Emarrel. Pretty much all of his videos - both PvP and PvE - are really good. This is one of my favorites of his PvP vids

In the above video he invades and murders a guy repeatedly, so his victim turns on an infinite HP hack. Emarrel, not to be deterred from his bloody path, boots him off a cliff, killing him despite his bullshit. Another invasion later, the guy summons a partner to make it 2v1 AND continues to be a cheating twerp with infinite HP, and Emarrel still finds a way to boot him off a cliff and kill him.

That guy is -amazing- and I can't believe that you didn't link this video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0hV4JWonM

Finds an idler with infinite HP. Manages to kill him anyway.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lunethex posted:

Coming up with Battlefield 3 again, I have a treat for you all. After seeing some comments on one of Panemon's videos I got wind of someone else responsible for stream trolling, but this guy doesn't hack. He instead spawns as support on the complete middle of nowhere side of any map and then suicides after dropping an ammo box, switching to a class that has the MAV. Then he has infinite MAVs he keeps using to follow and kill the streamer with by either ramming them or shooting them. His names go by InfiniteAmmoMAVs or [UMAV]ThatMAVTroll (With the troll dog tags).

And he has done several videos and even has a new video planned and I was surprised to see just how upset he could make one person...

I don't really get what's going on here. who are these people that deliberately broadcast a webcam or themselves playing videogames? Does anyone actually watch these while not messing with them?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't really get what's going on here. who are these people that deliberately broadcast a webcam or themselves playing videogames? Does anyone actually watch these while not messing with them?

Facecam! :rolleyes: It's the hot new trend in Let's Play! Everybody loves it! Especially here on SA.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr_Amazing posted:

Without even checking, I can tell you that at this moment there are at least a dozen streamers with over 1,000 people watching them live on Twitch.tv

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Magres posted:

The hilarious part is that the guy had to specifically unhollow each time to make himself invadeable again. And then gets mad he keeps getting invaded so he turns on a cheat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Full video is up now :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv-iyUDTPA
Starts off slow, picks up at the 4 minute mark.
Oh god, the meltdown at 7m 30.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Croccers posted:

Full video is up now :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv-iyUDTPA
Starts off slow, picks up at the 4 minute mark.
Oh god, the meltdown at 7m 30.

God, the buildup. :allears:

• Locked thread