Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Also, it goes without saying that if you took the additional SCNL points, you will likely have to serve in an Arabic-speaking post (or two) during your career. I presume that you would be OK with that? The catch is I am not sure if you need to specify which form(/regional dialect) of Arabic you profess fluency in, or if they will quiz you generally.

A person who just left here took chinese as a SCNL points. FWIW, the PD register was super long during their application period. They would likely not have gotten an offer if they did not receive the additional language points. (The person even admits so).

So yeah, if/when you get to the register, it will be a huge help in getting you the offer, which is the last step.

Also what TCD said, being in the Peace Corps will possibly give you a fountain of experiences to write about. Note: it doesn't mean you need international/travel experience or a rough life to join the FS. You can also write about college or high school experiences; my take of it is the QEP/PN is more about perspective than it is about travelling. Nobody knows how BEX operates, but I think a person who writes well (hint hint) about how they diplomatically handled an argument with co-workers will get the same consideration as the guy who writes about the hard time in Mongolia with no running water.

also it depends on how you present yourself and are able to introduce yourself. Like Giodo posted, internally it is emphasized Protocol and decorum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Nutrimentia posted:

Start the process immediately. It takes a long time. It's an extremely competitive career with roughly 1-2% of those taking the written test (the first step of the process) getting job offers.

I took the written test in Oct '09, the oral assessment in March '10, finished clearances and made the register (waiting list) in August '10, got a job offer Dec 28, 2010, started work (and thus drawing salary) March 28, 2011. I don't think this is abnormal but technically it could be quicker if your clearances fly through and you hit the register at the top.

That's about the same timeframe as mine. Wait were we in the same vibrant A-100?

Leif. fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 15, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

Heh, and my CONS officer knew you :ninja:

Dan?

Nutrimentia posted:

This career really should be considered a Plan B just because its so hard and time consuming. The timing isn't bad since you're only a sophomore, you might be able to flow right into. Otherwise, just keep on doing what you're doing. Don't go to Law School though and don't make career choices to please your family. If nothing else, plan on polisci/IR grad school.

The main takeaway here is don't go to law school. Though he indicated he saw the law school megathread so he clearly got that message.

TCD posted:

My understanding is that language doesn't necessarily add all that much during the FSOT/FSOA. However, Peace Corps experience will certainly give you a wealth of stories and experiences you can use during the process which will hopefully end in getting on the register - where the language bonus will come into play.

To clarify what TCD is saying, the language bonus points don't really become important until after you've passed the FSOA and are on the register. This is a change in the past couple years, where you could take the phone test for your language earlier in the process. However, your personal experiences and such will play into your answers on the biographical portions of the entire application process, so it still will be extremely helpful in getting you to the point where your language bonus will finally kick in (and hopefully carry you the rest of the way).

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After six glorious weeks of home leave I'll be starting back at the Mother Ship on Monday. Suits are at the dry cleaner, about to get my nails did so my peeptoe shoes look cute, and I'm setting about 15 alarms so I don't oversleep on Monday morning.

Can we update the OP? I'll be in NEA/ELA, previously Tripoli, Istanbul, and Riyadh. Thanks!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Updating away.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Woo, took the exam! My cohort buddy's advice that being a political science doctoral student was good preparation for the exam seemed accurate (other than regarding the elements covering pure mathematical or grammatical issues, though obviously these things are still related).

Of course, I am obnoxiously confident after like 90% of standardized tests, justified or not. I will also be interested to see how well I did sticking to "keep it simple and explain yourself" for the essay portion.

Finally, I look forward (on your behalf) to posting in a few weeks' time about how I actually got the lowest score possible.

(Also worth noting for those of you who remember my cute parents-meeting-because-of-foreign-service-exam story: I scheduled the test to be on my Mom's birthday :glomp:)

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Quarex posted:

(Also worth noting for those of you who remember my cute parents-meeting-because-of-foreign-service-exam story: I scheduled the test to be on my Mom's birthday :glomp:)

I love it. I'm sure you passed with flying colors! Keep us posted.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
Also, what would be a score on the OA that would likely make it to an A-100 class? I'm in the consular cone, which I've heard has a large number of candidates on the list. I'm assume that if I get a 5.25 then I should probably take it again next February...

This will be a stressful 3 months.

Edited- fair enough

cramerthegr8 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 17, 2013

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

cramerthegr8 posted:

So I scheduled my OA for September 17th and I have started looking over the materials. For the group exercise, what should be the most important qualifiers for funding? I know it's a case by case type thing, but what would be a good general checklist be? I'm thinking declining priority should be: impact of Americans (protect American supply lines/create new markets), American prestige (makes America look good), America's goals (free economy, spreading democracy), increase relationship with host country, and finally improve the lives of host country nationals. Is this similar to what is practiced in the field, or should I move priorities/add new priorities?

Also, what would be a score on the OA that would likely make it to an A-100 class? I'm in the consular cone, which I've heard has a large number of candidates on the list. I'm assume that if I get a 5.25 then I should probably take it again next February...

This will be a stressful 3 months.

FSOA content is covered by an NDA, so it's not really appropriate to discuss strategies for that. Just focus on demonstrating the 13 dimensions as best you can. And follow the directions.

When you pass the FSOA, you'll be able to join the Yahoo group for passers, which has a decent shadow register. It’s not for sharing outside that group, but then it doesn't have any relevance until you've passed the test anyway. Just do your best and go from there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

cramerthegr8 posted:

Although 5.25 is technically the cutoff for passing, your baseline score on the OA (not including any bonus points or adjustments) is in .1 increments, so 5.3 is the minimum passing score.

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So are there any good tips or strategies that helped yinz make it through the OA? I think the writing section will be the hardest section for me.

Diplomaticus posted:

Although 5.25 is technically the cutoff for passing, your baseline score on the OA (not including any bonus points or adjustments) is in .1 increments, so 5.3 is the minimum passing score.

That's actually really good to know.

Thanks!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Diplomaticus posted:

That's about the same timeframe as mine. Wait were we in the same vibrant A-100?

Oh, look at that. Based on your post and departure from the service, I know who you are. I doubt its hard to figure me out as well, as amongst the three of us posted here, I figure I'm the most likely to be at somethingawful

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Giodo! posted:

Remember that the State Department is, as a general rule, a very hiearchical organization that values protocol and decorum more than many private (or other public) sector jobs. It can be disorienting at first if you're used to flatter organizations.

I was expecting the emphasis on protocol and decorum outside of the office but was disappointed to run into within the office. Don't get me wrong, this is a great a job, but the personalities associated with it can be very difficult. I've noticed that many people simply don't have the patience for it and get it, further diluting the pool and leaving just those with low social and/or emotional intelligence or power issues behind. As a hierarchical organization that values protocol and decorum, it's easy for people that otherwise couldn't get respect to manipulate their position to demand it. I struggled with one person in particular becase I was in denial that that kind of person could be in this job. Once I finally accepted what a shallow pathetic individual they were, it was easier to accommodate their sad desperation to be relevant. It's a shame too, as everyone who works with them despises them, leading to low morale and a loss of efficiency in the job. Thankfully not everyone here is like that (but I've heard of places where they are).

95% of this job is who you work with, but in my very limited experience, at best only 75% of the people are those you'd want to work with.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nutrimentia posted:

I was expecting the emphasis on protocol and decorum outside of the office but was disappointed to run into within the office. Don't get me wrong, this is a great a job, but the personalities associated with it can be very difficult. I've noticed that many people simply don't have the patience for it and get it, further diluting the pool and leaving just those with low social and/or emotional intelligence or power issues behind. As a hierarchical organization that values protocol and decorum, it's easy for people that otherwise couldn't get respect to manipulate their position to demand it. I struggled with one person in particular becase I was in denial that that kind of person could be in this job. Once I finally accepted what a shallow pathetic individual they were, it was easier to accommodate their sad desperation to be relevant. It's a shame too, as everyone who works with them despises them, leading to low morale and a loss of efficiency in the job. Thankfully not everyone here is like that (but I've heard of places where they are).

95% of this job is who you work with, but in my very limited experience, at best only 75% of the people are those you'd want to work with.

Pretty accurate. :smithicide:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nutrimentia posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is a great a job, but the personalities associated with it can be very difficult. . . As a hierarchical organization that values protocol and decorum, it's easy for people that otherwise couldn't get respect to manipulate their position to demand it. . .Once I finally accepted what a shallow pathetic individual they were, it was easier to accommodate their sad desperation to be relevant.

Welp, I don't know about the entire foreign service, but I work with a whole lot of terrible people here. My most recent solution for dealing with them has been to just see how long I can ignore them between important things. It also helps that I'm in lame duck mode right now.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 17, 2013

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
My post should say "....get OUT, further diluting the pool".

And I wanted to avoid hyperbole with my 75% comment. We've got a bunch of ELO here that are pretty much all awesome, but take out those without experience and the future is kind of bleak.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Nutrimentia posted:

My post should say "....get OUT, further diluting the pool".

And I wanted to avoid hyperbole with my 75% comment. We've got a bunch of ELO here that are pretty much all awesome, but take out those without experience and the future is kind of bleak.

My first post was actually really good. The USAID director was a super cool dude and Ambo was really great too. That set the tone, and it trickled down. With the exception of 1 or two people, I'd want to work with every single one again and there was only a handful of ELOs. Here, eh, there are a few more bad apples, but still, manageable. If you have one of those people in your chain of command, it makes work like much more stressful and complicated. I’ve lucked out so far, but a few close friends have not been as fortunate.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

TCD posted:

The USAID director was a super cool dude and Ambo was really great too. That set the tone, and it trickled down.

THIS. It starts at the top and if my ambo wasn't as awesome as he is, the awfulness I deal with would be 50 times worse.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nutrimentia posted:

Oh, look at that. Based on your post and departure from the service, I know who you are. I doubt its hard to figure me out as well, as amongst the three of us posted here, I figure I'm the most likely to be at somethingawful

Do you look good in a grass skirt?

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Diplomaticus posted:

Updating away.

Just realized you missed me. I'm joining the July 15 A-100 (CON).

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

psydude posted:

Welp, I don't know about the entire foreign service, but I work with a whole lot of terrible people here. My most recent solution for dealing with them has been to just see how long I can ignore them between important things. It also helps that I'm in lame duck mode right now.
If you want to work with great people, I think your best bet is a small to medium sized hardship post. For example, too many people want to serve in Brazil to be in the country, not to work here. In contrast, I had around a 95% success rate in Kosovo for fantastic coworkers. Some of my colleagues at post had similar conclusions

Having just finished up an OIG inspection last week, I really REALLY hope the OIG informal recommendations include "don't send 50 new hires to one post." I foresee "not-recommended for tenure" on more than a couple evaluations. Not enough mentoring; not enough mentors.

With around a dozen officers all from the same A-100 and language classes, it's like they're still at FSI, only with a worse cafeteria.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

And the FSI cafeteria is so poorly laid out!

mute
Jul 17, 2004

ATI Jesus posted:

If you want to work with great people, I think your best bet is a small to medium sized hardship post. For example, too many people want to serve in Brazil to be in the country, not to work here. In contrast, I had around a 95% success rate in Kosovo for fantastic coworkers. Some of my colleagues at post had similar conclusions

Yet another reason GoonPost needs to happen.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
It's too bad to hear that people are having problems with coworkers. I've been mercifully spared from much of that drama.

I have to say that one of the big attractions for me to stay in the East Asia bureau is the quality of the people. I really like maybe 95 percent of my coworkers and bosses. It helps to have plenty of interesting work to go around, but even more important is the bidding and lobbying process that fights to get good people good jobs. Doesn't always work perfectly, but overall it works quite well.

First tour is always a craps shoot, with directed assignments and plenty of managers doing it for the first time. Hang in there; the mid-levels tend to get a lot better.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

ATI Jesus posted:

For example, too many people want to serve in place to be in the country, not to work here.

Please try avoiding this. If you want to do it, it's cool, we all have a country we really want to go to! But please make sure you are y'know, actually working, doing your job, etc. There's little more frustrating than trying to deal with someone who's not there half the time, taking long lunch breaks, not pulling their slack, etc.

especially if you've got a mistress there, don't meet her on your on-the-clock times. Thanks. You can enjoy the country & its wonderful citizens on your own time!

BoF: what up EAP :respek: And yeah, good people will make or break your post.

Kinda like the military, at times you might have a lovely boss. Just do what you can.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Giodo! posted:

And the FSI cafeteria is so poorly laid out!

At least it has free WiFi now.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Diplomaticus posted:

Do you look good in a grass skirt?

Only if that's all I'm wearing. I never put it together on you because as the thread originator, I'd assumed you'd been in longer. Nice to run into you!

ATI Jesus posted:

Having just finished up an OIG inspection last week, I really REALLY hope the OIG informal recommendations include "don't send 50 new hires to one post." I foresee "not-recommended for tenure" on more than a couple evaluations. Not enough mentoring; not enough mentors.

Not enough mentoring was a big theme in our recent OIG too.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

Abuja? Say hi to the IMS Mr. Phelps. (he was in my a-100)

I did, and now I know your real name. :)

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
I took the FSOT last week. I'm an (American obviously) LES at an Embassy in Europe. FSO colleagues have been telling me for years that I should do the test but it didn't click until a few months ago when I decided to pursue this in earnest. Too bad I missed the hiring surge. I've been going to ICASS meetings lately and all the budget cuts and staff cuts at State are just depressing right now.

Anyway, it was funny when I walked into the Embassy where I already work to take the test. The guards knew me, the proctors said hi to me by name and some of the other test takers seemed to be thinking "who is this person who already knows everyone?"

I wonder if working at an Embassy already will help me or hurt me in the QEPs. If I make it to the QEPs of course. I also lived in Russia and the Ukraine in the 90s and used to be fluent in Russian. Now I'm seriously rusty in Russian but fluent in the language of the country where I now live.

What others have said about doing the test many times definitely seems to be true for many of my colleagues. Many of them have told me that they took it 3-4 times before getting in. I plan to do the same while meanwhile living my life and applying for other opportunities.

One question. I notice a lot of EFMs working around the Embassy. Is it possible for a spouse to have any kind of career in these kinds of jobs or are they all just temporary disjointed assignments. My husband is fine with being a stay at home dad but I suspect that after a little while he might like to work a bit around the Embassy. Just wondering how this all works.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Obelisk posted:

I took the FSOT last week. I'm an (American obviously) LES at an Embassy in Europe. FSO colleagues have been telling me for years that I should do the test but it didn't click until a few months ago when I decided to pursue this in earnest. Too bad I missed the hiring surge. I've been going to ICASS meetings lately and all the budget cuts and staff cuts at State are just depressing right now.

One question. I notice a lot of EFMs working around the Embassy. Is it possible for a spouse to have any kind of career in these kinds of jobs or are they all just temporary disjointed assignments. My husband is fine with being a stay at home dad but I suspect that after a little while he might like to work a bit around the Embassy. Just wondering how this all works.

EFM employment is mostly what's available at post when EFMs arrive - so it's usually disjointed. There are normally the top EFM jobs such as EPAP, CLO, OMS, IMA, etc. but if those are taken when you get there well, enjoy waiting or better luck next tour. What spot in EUR? I'm headed that way this fall. If you don't want to say directly that's cool too.

Edit: Also, yeah budgets are getting tight. I really wish I tried for the FSOT in 2005 instead of 2011. I passed it, but didn't make it past that drat QEP.

TCD fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 19, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Nutrimentia posted:

I did, and now I know your real name. :)

:tinfoil: then send me an e-mail and say hello!

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
TCD can I send you a PM or an email?

What about a spouse who has special skills? In my husband's case, accounting skills? I need to ask around the various EFMs I know at post. Would he need to become a FSS or are there other ways to use those skills in the FS? He's a foreign national but, of course, he could become a US citizen.

I was seriously ill in 2009 and spent 2 months in hospital so I guess I never would have passed a medical clearance back then but still I'm kicking myself for waiting. Speaking of medical clearances, without going into too much detail, I had an issue with a heart valve, it was repaired and now everything is fine (knock on wood) except that I need to have an ecocardiogram once a year to check up on things. I don't take any medication so that's not an issue. I assume that this is the kind of thing which would not stand in the way of me getting a Class 1 clearance?

The only thing which holds me back about joining the FS is my kids (5 and 18 months) but seeing how underfunded the local schools are, moving around every few years seems like a small price to pay to get to go to international schools. Also, I keep meeting adult FS brats both from the country where I live and the US and they seem happy and well adjusted.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Obelisk posted:

What about a spouse who has special skills? In my husband's case, accounting skills? I need to ask around the various EFMs I know at post. Would he need to become a FSS or are there other ways to use those skills in the FS? He's a foreign national but, of course, he could become a US citizen.

I was seriously ill in 2009 and spent 2 months in hospital so I guess I never would have passed a medical clearance back then but still I'm kicking myself for waiting. Speaking of medical clearances, without going into too much detail, I had an issue with a heart valve, it was repaired and now everything is fine (knock on wood) except that I need to have an ecocardiogram once a year to check up on things. I don't take any medication so that's not an issue. I assume that this is the kind of thing which would not stand in the way of me getting a Class 1 clearance?

The only thing which holds me back about joining the FS is my kids (5 and 18 months) but seeing how underfunded the local schools are, moving around every few years seems like a small price to pay to get to go to international schools. Also, I keep meeting adult FS brats both from the country where I live and the US and they seem happy and well adjusted.

There is a program called EPAP -- Expanded Professional Associate Program, that allows EFMs with professional skillsets to serve in roles that are traditionally those of an FSO. I don't know how the program works in detail, just that one of my colleagues at post was an EPAP, he was an economist, and worked with me as an economic officer (his wife is the FSO). In all aspects, he was a second economic officer. He is fantastic and really brought a lot to the table. However I have no idea how those positions work as far as clearances and such are concerned (I know he had to get a security clearance, but I don't know about medical or other requirements).

Aside from that, traditional EFM work, depending on the needs of the post, may well work for your husband. I don't know that they would hire an EFM for an FMO (financial management officer) position, but I do know there are local staff accounting positions and program/project management positions with accounting/financial management aspects that your husband could compete for as an EFM. However, each post is different as far as their EFM hiring capacity is concerned. Some are known for being able to give employment to most EFMs who want it; others are notoriously difficult for any EFM to find a job. You'll have to read the post reports and ask around to get the deets.

Also, wholly unrelated point -- sorry to hear about your heart valve. My best friend found out he had a leaky heart valve after graduating from firefighter paramedic school. He had worked numerous calls as a paramedic and was locked in for a nice firefighter position, and he LOVED doing it. And he was a great fit for it. He was medically disqualified for the job due to the leaky heart valve. Granted, this particular job had possibly even a higher applicant rejection ratio than the foreign service does (it's hella hard to get hired as a firefighter paramedic or police officer these days. Just ask in GiP in the copgoons thread). I'm not saying at all that it is a comparison to the foreign service medical clearance process; just that the timing utterly sucked for him. So I feel your pain.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 19, 2013

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Skandiaavity posted:

:tinfoil: then send me an e-mail and say hello!

Ah, I only got your first name. I'll do some more digging.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Obelisk posted:

As with just about everything in the FS, the answer is "it depends". As TCD mentioned, I've seen a couple EFM and MOH serve as Econ Officers and Visa Adjudicators here, doing the exact same work as FSO. Our employee association has full time accountant and office management positions filled by EFM (or whoever we want to hire, actually, since the employee association exists independently of the embassy itself). One of our MGMT officers who was working FMO retired but as his wife was a tandem OMS, he came back to work in the MGMT office (different job from when he was posted here though).

So much depends on the country and the embassy, really. My gut says that hard-to-fill posts (re: AF/NEA/SCA) might have "better" jobs available due to chronic understaffing but that doesn't mean he could find good work elsewhere. It's even possible, depending on the host country, to work on the local market, teaching or accounting, or whatever.

I'm glad to hear that your heart is working well. I really have no idea about what can hold up a clearance but if you do have a required annual ECG, that might be a hiccup in places without adequate medical care. But don't let my wholly unqualified statement dissuade you from applying. Even if someone tells you that they KNOW you can/can't get the clearance, disregard that and let State tell you what's what.

The opportunity to raise my daughter in this life was one of my major motivations for applying. Not that I wanted to raise her rubbing elbows with ambassadors. I wanted her to grow up around the world, absorb an extra language or two, meet and know people from all over. It's difficult to leave schools, activities, friends, and communities, especially for kids, and sometimes they go from a place like Japan that has EVERYTHING to a place like Abuja that doesn't have much at all. In the worst cases, boarding school is an option that a lot of boarders and their families are quite happy with. Short story long, I personally think one of the best parenting decisions you could make is to join the foreign service. I'm always disappointed when I see parents who seem to be shielding their kids from the world around them at post in a misguided attempt to provide "stability".

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Obelisk posted:

Sure, shoot me a PM.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Nutrimentia posted:

The opportunity to raise my daughter in this life was one of my major motivations for applying. Not that I wanted to raise her rubbing elbows with ambassadors. I wanted her to grow up around the world, absorb an extra language or two, meet and know people from all over. It's difficult to leave schools, activities, friends, and communities, especially for kids, and sometimes they go from a place like Japan that has EVERYTHING to a place like Abuja that doesn't have much at all. In the worst cases, boarding school is an option that a lot of boarders and their families are quite happy with. Short story long, I personally think one of the best parenting decisions you could make is to join the foreign service. I'm always disappointed when I see parents who seem to be shielding their kids from the world around them at post in a misguided attempt to provide "stability".

From one parent who is going in to the FS, this is one of the BIG reasons why my wife and I decided to explore and take this option. We wanted our kids to see and experience the world.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
State forums indicate September specialist invitations have gone out, has anyone here heard anything (what speciality, how many, ect)?

Sadly, this makes it (assuming they pulled 5.67 and below) two class invitations I've missed due to adjudications limbo.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Obelisk posted:

He's a foreign national but, of course, he could become a US citizen.
We were told that if you were an American Citizen and capable of getting a security clearance then EFM employment was more likely but still not guaranteed. It was unlikely for non-citizens.

Obelisk posted:

The only thing which holds me back about joining the FS is my kids (5 and 18 months)

There are lots of kids in the FS of all ages.

Our Flag Day is Coming. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for all the input on my various questions. I'm a third culture kid myself and I see both good and bad to the way I grew up. On the one hand, I'm comfortable with all kinds of people and am a bit of a chameleon. On the other, I have family and friends spread all over the world and I never truly feel at home anywhere. I didn't go to international schools though as my parents weren't FS. I'm sure that many of them are excellent.

i guess my cardiology issue could be a problem but I imagine I could travel somewhere with decent doctors at least once a year from most posts. Anyway, I'll let State decide if I get that far.

My husband could become a US citizen if I joined the FS. At the moment he can't as we're living in his country rather than the US, but I think there's an expedited citizenship process for state dept spouses. He speaks better English than I do so that wouldn't be an issue