Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

(Although was anyone else annoyed that IIIC was described as a "sphere" when clearly it's actually a torus?)

Haha, I left a comment on the youtube video about this. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Hey, are there any suggestions for good board games that emphasize exploration and discovery?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I played City of Remnants with two players... and although it was neat, jesus chriiiiiiiiiiist, 200 points took FOREVER to get. I can't believe the game keeps 200 points no matter how many players you have. Please tell me it gets better with subsequent plays. :(

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

KirbyJ posted:

Hey, are there any suggestions for good board games that emphasize exploration and discovery?

Archipelago and Eclipse come to mind, if you want something complex and bitey.

Purely exploration based, I dunno.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The End posted:

The problem with exploration with games, like Eclipse is that you're not exploring as a theme you're doing it for a meta reason (such as building the map in Eclipse or the FFG Civilization game). The rewards are really not about finding a new place or information but instead about having control of the way that piece/tile/card interacts with the board.

Mage Knight is a game where you're forced to explore but there's no reward for doing so and occasionally there is a situation where the knowledge of that tile does nothing for you but helps an opponent.

Escape is a game with exploring but again it doesn't feel so important because you know what you're looking for every time you explore.

A good exploration game should have a lot of different possible results and also have a bonus(never or rarely a penalty in my opinion) for the player that explores it.
Star Trek Fleet Captains does this pretty well, as it is advisable scan before exploring but not necessarily. However there is not always an encounter which makes the exploring a bit uneven and sometimes downright boring.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
tobago does exploration in a pretty neat way - all the tiles are marked with cubes representing the discoveries they could potentially contain and players as an action either move their vehicle or add a card to one of the 4 treasure piles that narrows the selection (ie is on a jungle tile, is not within 2 tiles of a river, is in line of sight of a statue etc) and the cubes get removed as potential locations are eliminated, until there is only one valid tile for a given treasure. it works really well and as treasures get more potential value and you get more shots at picking the best rewards when you apply more cards to the stack it puts a decent choice between wiping out half the potential remaining locations with a card or incrementally building it up, or leaving you on the other side of the map from the remaining sites etc

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with exploration with games, like Eclipse is that you're not exploring as a theme you're doing it for a meta reason (such as building the map in Eclipse or the FFG Civilization game). The rewards are really not about finding a new place or information but instead about having control of the way that piece/tile/card interacts with the board.

Comes down to whether you want exploration as a mechanic or a central theme, really. A 'Seven Cities of Gold' discovery based game would be rad.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hi everyone, I just bought an iPad and was looking forward to play some boardgames in it, does anyone have a list or something about which games are available or some suggestions? I don't have a lot of experience regarding boardgames, but I enjoyed Puerto Rico and Setllers of Catan.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I played City of Remnants with two players... and although it was neat, jesus chriiiiiiiiiiist, 200 points took FOREVER to get. I can't believe the game keeps 200 points no matter how many players you have. Please tell me it gets better with subsequent plays. :(

It plays faster and better with four players, I haven't tried with three. I'll probably cut down on the points if I have to play two player again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hi everyone, I just bought an iPad and was looking forward to play some boardgames in it, does anyone have a list or something about which games are available or some suggestions? I don't have a lot of experience regarding boardgames, but I enjoyed Puerto Rico and Setllers of Catan.

The OP of the iOS Board Games thread is a great starting point and maybe should be linked in this thread's OP; I've seen this question come up a lot!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

KirbyJ posted:

Endeavour has exploration as its theme and I liked it the 3 times I've played it.

Game is 8 rounds long, everyone can build 1 building per turn. Everyone gets 2 (or more later on) citizens per turn that they can use to perform an action using one of their buildings, but when performed the citizen stays inside until you pay its wages the next turn.

The goal is to send exploration citizens to one of the continents that Europe is exploring/colonizing, in order to get upgrades to your civilization. For example, you need to collect 2 Brick tokens to be able to build the level 2 buildings, or 2 Culture tokens to recruit 3 citizens per turn.

All the tokens are randomly placed on the continents and cities, so it has enough replayability. When a continent is fully explored, people can start colonizing it and claiming Governor cards, which give more upgrades to your tracks.

Do note that the entire theme of the game is exploring and colonizing very non-European continent and there's a card stack for Slavery.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The End posted:

There's a card game where you explore and create a map about a society rebuilding after a destroyed civilization. The author of the Monster Hearts RPG made it, I can't remember its name but maybe that's one that qualifies?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

KirbyJ posted:

Source of the Nile fits this bill

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

nimby posted:

Endeavour has exploration as its theme and I liked it the 3 times I've played it.

Game is 8 rounds long, everyone can build 1 building per turn. Everyone gets 2 (or more later on) citizens per turn that they can use to perform an action using one of their buildings, but when performed the citizen stays inside until you pay its wages the next turn.

The goal is to send exploration citizens to one of the continents that Europe is exploring/colonizing, in order to get upgrades to your civilization. For example, you need to collect 2 Brick tokens to be able to build the level 2 buildings, or 2 Culture tokens to recruit 3 citizens per turn.

All the tokens are randomly placed on the continents and cities, so it has enough replayability. When a continent is fully explored, people can start colonizing it and claiming Governor cards, which give more upgrades to your tracks.

Do note that the entire theme of the game is exploring and colonizing very non-European continent and there's a card stack for Slavery.

I really enjoy Endeavor, and I think the best thing about the game is how differently it plays with different numbers of players. But I could see how some people may not like this. The board is the same no matter how many people play. So with only 3 players, there is plenty of room to explore and expand, with very little need for conflict. In fact, you have to be careful where you go "exploring" as some areas of the board will never fully open up. So there is still a bit of strategy involved.

With 5 players, the board will be full by the middle of the 5th or 6th turn. This forces quite a bit of conflict and jockeying for cards. 4 players is definetly the sweet spot, but the game does work well with 3 or 5 players.

As for the slavery deck, it can give some nice bonuses early, but it is quite risky. If you lose those cards (by choice, or by the abolition event firing), you lose points for those cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Holy crap, have you guys seen the overhaul Fantasy Strike did of their website?

I think I might actually prefer playing Puzzle Strike online now. :swoon:

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Agronox posted:

Aw crap. I just ordered Automobile recently but I didn't know there was a version issue. I've got the Mayfair coming... there was a $100 collector's edition available too, but I didn't want to drop that kind of coin for a game I hadn't played yet. :(

The $100 Deluxe edition from Mayfair has woooden cars and meeples (you can buy these from Mayday for $20), a wooden box, and a certificate of authenticity. If you are buying it to play rather than display in your living room, the $40 basic game is fine - the cardboard is just as functional as wood.

The out of print Treefrog version can sometimes be found for $120+. It has wooden cars and meeples, and different art that some prefer (I don't).

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I'm playing Age of Empires III/Age of Discovery for the first time tonight, just took a few minutes to look over the rules and watch a couple videos so I'm not going in blind. I knew next to nothing about it, and now I'm super excited because I didn't know the game had a similar setup/flow to Dominant Species.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Admin Understudy posted:

I'm playing Age of Empires III/Age of Discovery for the first time tonight, just took a few minutes to look over the rules and watch a couple videos so I'm not going in blind. I knew next to nothing about it, and now I'm super excited because I didn't know the game had a similar setup/flow to Dominant Species.

I picked up a "used" copy of this recently. I say "used" because it was out of shrink, but none of the cardboard had been punched, and the plastic figures were still in their baggies. I'd be interested to hear how it is.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I played a match of Pax Pofiriana yesterday evening, and I still think the game hasn't "clicked" yet, although I do enjoy the game very much. Every time I've played the game has ended on the first or second topple because players haven't gotten to the level they can (or want to) block other player's in gaining VP. There's a lot of what I think of as unfocused play, where people wrongly go for too much economy or too much harassment. It's kind of like how in Dominion where you need to balance when you start grabbing victory cards.

There is very apparently a better way to play than how I've been doing it, but I'm honestly not sure what I need to do in order to play properly. I think it comes down to getting an economy going early on if possible, and then trying to both grab VPs and block other players from obtaining them if possible.

I do like how the game is pretty random in its market, but the randomness is very mitigated when playing skillfully.

I do not play skillfully :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pretty clever twist on Tic-Tac-Toe here, not sure how fun it would be but its a creative way of turning a terminally simple/boring game into an interesting one.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

mongol posted:

I picked up a "used" copy of this recently. I say "used" because it was out of shrink, but none of the cardboard had been punched, and the plastic figures were still in their baggies. I'd be interested to hear how it is.

I've played Age of Empires III several times and it's great. It's a very fun mix of worker placement and area control.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse after seeing it recommended on here a lot and I'm really enjoying it. Got it signed by the artist who might have heard me talking about how the art sucks, so that's fun. What's the recommended expansion purchasing order? I don't see myself getting bored with the available decks for a little while but it'll be nice to have more choices.

Picked up a copy of the new Dominion : Guilds last weekend as well and although I haven't had a chance to play it, it looks really interesting.

I also played Seven Wonders for the first time and had a blast with it once I understood what was going on. It seems like it can be a really short game as well, which is always nice.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Cloks posted:

I picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse after seeing it recommended on here a lot and I'm really enjoying it. Got it signed by the artist who might have heard me talking about how the art sucks, so that's fun. What's the recommended expansion purchasing order? I don't see myself getting bored with the available decks for a little while but it'll be nice to have more choices.

Picked up a copy of the new Dominion : Guilds last weekend as well and although I haven't had a chance to play it, it looks really interesting.

I also played Seven Wonders for the first time and had a blast with it once I understood what was going on. It seems like it can be a really short game as well, which is always nice.

Go for Infernal Relics and then Shattered Timelines. Rook City afterwards if you want for the difficult villains.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

goferchan posted:

Pretty clever twist on Tic-Tac-Toe here, not sure how fun it would be but its a creative way of turning a terminally simple/boring game into an interesting one.

I'm still wildly uninterested in playing that, but figuring out the optimal strategy for the game (and its variants) sounds like something I'll have a bit of fun with.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cloks posted:

One of the reasons that game will always be a favorite for me is that I can play with anywhere between 3 and 7 people and the game basically always clocks in between 30 and 45 minutes, even if I'm teaching it. So many other games I'm into can quickly spiral out of control but the similtaneous play and the fixed number of turns in 7 Wonders are a treat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kiranamos posted:

Go for Infernal Relics and then Shattered Timelines. Rook City afterwards if you want for the difficult villains.

I would agree with this. The mini expansions are pretty sweet also, and the different versions of Omni and Baron Blade that come with the large villain cards are also a lot of fun to play against.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ashenai posted:

I'm still wildly uninterested in playing that, but figuring out the optimal strategy for the game (and its variants) sounds like something I'll have a bit of fun with.

I love it. It'll be a great game to play at the restaurant in town that has large sheets of paper as table cloths (crayons included). :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ashenai posted:

You don't have to. The game's creator has already given an optimal strategy for the game that gives a colossal advantage to the first player.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Jedit posted:

You don't have to. The game's creator has already given an optimal strategy for the game that gives a colossal advantage to the first player.

Yeah, I saw that (and figured out the full winning strategy he alluded to), but I'm still gonna try to solve the "fixed" variant, the one where you can't force an opponent to play in a square that's already been decided.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Went to the local board game store at lunch looking for Sentinels of the Multiverse, and the proprietor says he prefers the Marvel game Legendary. Any thoughts or opinions on one versus the other? They are both ranked about the same on BGG.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sieg posted:

Went to the local board game store at lunch looking for Sentinels of the Multiverse, and the proprietor says he prefers the Marvel game Legendary. Any thoughts or opinions on one versus the other? They are both ranked about the same on BGG.

They really aren't comparable. Sentinels is a completely co-op experience, where the whole team wins or loses. There's also no deckbuilding involved, everyone starts with a premade deck specific to their character. Legendary is a semi co-op game where either everyone loses, or the craftiest player wins (note: some people handwave this and just say everyone wins, but I think the game loses a lot if you do this). It also plays much more like Dominion or Ascension, where you're building your deck as you play.

If I had to pick an apple or an orange, I would go with Legendary, but mostly because I feel like the combos you do in that game are a lot more satisfying. Neither game really has a lot of difficult decision-making though, and I feel Sentinels' use of board wipes as a balancing mechanic is lazy design.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

KirbyJ posted:

The Cave is about exploring underground caverns and I heard good things about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
With the website now being cool and awesome and F2P, do you think that Puzzle Strike could float its own thread?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sieg posted:

The games have basically nothing to do with each other, other than there are superheroes involved. Also Legendary kinda sucks.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Countblanc posted:

They really aren't comparable. Sentinels is a completely co-op experience, where the whole team wins or loses. There's also no deckbuilding involved, everyone starts with a premade deck specific to their character. Legendary is a semi co-op game where either everyone loses, or the craftiest player wins (note: some people handwave this and just say everyone wins, but I think the game loses a lot if you do this). It also plays much more like Dominion or Ascension, where you're building your deck as you play.

If I had to pick an apple or an orange, I would go with Legendary, but mostly because I feel like the combos you do in that game are a lot more satisfying. Neither game really has a lot of difficult decision-making though, and I feel Sentinels' use of board wipes as a balancing mechanic is lazy design.

Speaking of, Dark City came out today to expand Legendary.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I like that Legendary can be played full co-op, mostly co-op with people getting bragging rights for their performance via points at the end of the game, or cutthroat by actively trying to find the best ways to maximize your points and shut other people down just enough to make sure the game continues. Plus having the licensed Marvel characters is a nice hook to introduce people to deckbuilders.

Even though I've got a clear preference for Legendary, at the end of the day both Legendary and Sentinels are purchases you shouldn't regret if a co-op superhero experience is what you're looking for.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Colon V posted:

With the website now being cool and awesome and F2P, do you think that Puzzle Strike could float its own thread?

I'd love this. :swoon: I really like playing Puzzle Strike but the people on the Fantasy Strike site are a bit too :spergin: for me. I don't know how much interest there would be though.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So made an order at CSI that was supposed to be delivered today by FedEx. I check tracking and it says it was rerouted to my addressed and then delivered to my house. Being home all day, I never received the package at all. Called FedEx and they said they would send a message to the delivering office. Anyone ever dealt with board game shipments getting delivered, but not to your house? Checked with neighbors and none of them have it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Maybe a Fantasy Strike thread? With three games in it it's less likely to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So made an order at CSI that was supposed to be delivered today by FedEx. I check tracking and it says it was rerouted to my addressed and then delivered to my house. Being home all day, I never received the package at all. Called FedEx and they said they would send a message to the delivering office. Anyone ever dealt with board game shipments getting delivered, but not to your house? Checked with neighbors and none of them have it.

You should contact CSI customer support and explain the situation to them. As the sender they are the ones that can file a claim with Fedex and have them start a formal investigation.

• Locked thread