Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Air is lava! posted:

It was probably one of my favourite parts.
Great storytelling and absolutely gorgeous.
And those little further reading notes spiced it up a bit.

The other guy asked because, ironically, you don't realize the complaining many did on how slow that specific chapter flowed. Now that you are stuck checking for updates as they come, you see the action as stiff and slow. It will be fine when you read this chapter in one go months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I haven't done an archive binge in forever. Also I hate Hettie so so much she is the evilest character ever.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

The Red Queen posted:

The way this comic works it would not surprise me in the slightest if it was Adam as in "first dude, made out of dirt, gave up a rib to make Eve" Adam.

Speaking of ribs, I've always been fond of this as the explanation why humans are one of the few mammals without a baculum. :getin:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Casull posted:

I did some research for costume-making materials and read about pink insulation foam. Then I read about what happens if that stuff touches your skin or enters your lungs.

Yeah, that's pretty fuckin' evil.

No? Pink insulation foam is simply High Density Polystyrene, aka really dense styrofoam. It's completely harmless, unless you're a dummy and sand it without wearing a filter mask. Hetty used fiberglass insulation, which is a completely different material.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

VanSandman posted:

I haven't done an archive binge in forever. Also I hate Hettie so so much she is the evilest character ever.

Hettie is rocketing her way to my favourite character and your hate is the fuel :unsmigghh:

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Hetty kind of reminds me of a diabolical version of Lettie Hatter from Howl's Moving Castle, and I keep reading her lines in Lettie's voice. "Reynardine, do you really want to spend the rest of your life in that dorm room?"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mazerunner posted:

Hettie is rocketing her way to my favourite character and your hate is the fuel :unsmigghh:

100% this. She's adorable and mischievous in the best way. Her being so joking about it is icing on the cake.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I just want to say that I did a marathon through this series the other day and it's utterly fantastic!
I have no idea how it's flown under the radar, especially with someone like Gaiman (one of my favorite authors) endorsing it.

I've read most of this thread as well and the insights some of you have posted have convinced me to re-read the whole thing again, this time paying attention to the smaller details.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

VanSandman posted:

Somewhere boxbot feels optimistic but doesn't know why.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
With Hetty's apparent penchant for mischief, I'm slightly worried that the chapter title page has a bottle of something toxic. While scrolling through the archive chapters, I also noticed the icon for this chapter appears to be a packet of needles. I hope Reynardine doesn't end up needing sewing by the end of this chapter...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Razorwired posted:

Somewhere boxbot feels optimistic but doesn't know why.

Boxbot isn't evil. Or even misguided. He's just terrible.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

iostream.h posted:

I've read most of this thread as well and the insights some of you have posted have convinced me to re-read the whole thing again, this time paying attention to the smaller details.

Yeaaaah, you're actually going to end up reading the entire archive several more times. I can't remember how many times I've read the entire thing, and I still find a little bit more every time.

What's so strange is that it just... happens. You never really plan on rereading it, but you'll be several chapters past a page someone linked and GODDAMNIT.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Worst character or best character? Maybe we can form factions, like how the Adventure Time thread is deeply divided over the Tree Trunks issue.

VS.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

The Red Queen posted:

Worst character or best character? Maybe we can form factions, like how the Adventure Time thread is deeply divided over the Tree Trunks issue.

VS.

I'm open to her turning out to be awesome. My gut reaction is bad but I'd be freaked out by any character that's an evil magically animated tiny doll. I do find her comment in yesterday's third panel pretty hilarious.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

FezCactus posted:

Ooo I love her design a lot :o I too thought she was a city fairy until I noticed her skin shine and finger joints. Someone on /co/ linked this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitty,_Her_First_Hundred_Years

Interesting if that is where she's from.
Grandma's first website: http://www.hittygirls.com

This is what happens when you go too deep down the doll-loving rabbithole.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

The Red Queen posted:

Is there a team for pointing out that her name's been consistently spelled "Hetty"? :)

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Jesus, whoever bought me that avatar, up yours and bless you at the same time! :gbsmith:

It only took one post in this thread, apparently.
I sympathize. drat it Avatar Fairy, you were supposed to buy someone one of the avatars I uploaded, not that instant-epileptic-seizure GIF! Turn in your wand, you're off the case! :rant:

...Oh and in my mind Hetty's voice sounds like Katharine Hepburn. Or rather like the "reeeaaally I am" Hepburn caricature from Looney Tunes.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Is there a team for pointing out that her name's been consistently spelled "Hetty"? :)

Hah! I have a friend named "Hattie" so I conflated the names.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I'm open to her turning out to be awesome. My gut reaction is bad but I'd be freaked out by any character that's an evil magically animated tiny doll. I do find her comment in yesterday's third panel pretty hilarious.

I still think she's creepy, but it's definitely creepy with a side of highly entertaining. I'm not sure if that makes me a fan of hers or not.

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance

Zenzirouj posted:

Grandma's first website: http://www.hittygirls.com

This is what happens when you go too deep down the doll-loving rabbithole.

Oh good god. I hadn't even thought of clicking the reference link (then forgot all about it).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Wherever this chapter takes us I bet it involves Reynardine picking some locks. The guy must be a master by this point.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dyzzy posted:

Wherever this chapter takes us I bet it involves Reynardine picking some locks. The guy must be a master by this point.

You could say it's in his bones.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
So is Hetty going to poison someone with Mercury? Is that why this chapter is called Quicksilver?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, I guess this means Hetty is a spirit/creature/bodysnatcher who possessed a toy owned by someone as well. Interesting.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 19, 2013

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
Yeah, she's growing on me.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Sounds like the earlier guess about a community of possessed/animate/etc. toys at the court was spot on.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Lock Knight posted:

Sounds like the earlier guess about a community of possessed/animate/etc. toys at the court was spot on.

It's just like my favorite anime, Toy Story.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Well, Eglamore was pretty casual about rattling off the consequences of confiscating Reynard vis a vie the contract of ownership, so I guess it's fairly common knowledge and comes up a lot at the Court.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Air is lava! posted:

I do really like this comic. That's why I read the whole thing a few weeks ago.
But I am not really thrilled by this chapter. I can't really describe it, but it feels sort of stiff. Right now, the pacing seems unrewarding. Maybe it's just a backlash, because almost every page of the previous chapter was so cute and pretty. But pay attention the background of todays comic. It really isn't something I like looking at.

I'm actually really digging this chapter's atmosphere. Hetty's a hard turn out into left field that pretty much instantly changes the tone, but even despite her the pacing and the subdued, desaturated backgrounds create a really effective feeling of listlessness. Renard's been practically oozing ennui ever since this chapter started, and even while Hetty's creepy adorable evil jams itself into the foreground and demands your attention everything behind her maintains this vague sense of existential despair that perfectly captures both Renard's reaction to her and his overall mood. It's a slow burn and it'll probably read better once you can get it all in one shot instead of having it slowly doled out three pages a week, but if it feels stiff and unrewarding I think that's very much intentional.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

So is Hetty going to poison someone with Mercury? Is that why this chapter is called Quicksilver?

Reynardine's symbol is the alchemical symbol for mercury, so I assume that it meant the chapter is about him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A fun stop, eh? Whew, that's how we know nothing will go wrong in this chapter.

I hope we just find out Adam's an OK dude and Hetty comically overreacts and retaliates for everything he does.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The purse he made for her was a shade too dark, oh the humanity!

It'll be interesting to see who else might be a part of this "we" Hetty spoke of.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Show me on the man where the bad doll touched you.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I'm wondering if Adam isn't just some bratty kid that does things to dolls like pull their heads off or whatever.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
My guess is Hettie is an evil spirit Adam sealed in a doll for lack of any better options, thus why he's mean to her.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Adam is dead and has been for years, Hettie plays "pranks" on a grave and Renard plays along

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Edward James Olmos guest stars as Adam.

VVV

Blackheart posted:

Diego's descendant

Diego was the prototypical goon, no way he'd have offspring :v:

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Adam is Diego's descendant and a creepy doll otaku.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

For some reason I've started hearing Willem Dafoe when reading Reynardine's dialogue. It's an eerily good fit!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to sympathize with Hetty's plight but not with her methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's just like my favorite anime, Toy Story.