Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Lump-sum payouts are 'supplemental', so yes, it sounds like it was handled correctly. You'll get the difference back at the end of the year. Just one more way the IRS fucks you a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Mandalay posted:

As an employer, I didn't know you could even opt out of Social Security and Medicare on the W-4 form.

fake edit: ADP definitely does not like this idea

Pastors can elect to be exempt from those, as well as some governmental employees. Here in Oregon, some firefighters have their own plans and do not pay in.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Posting here at the advice of the long-term investing thread:

I have two stocks that I have held forever (over a decade, at least) that have been enrolled in DRIP, with dividends getting reinvested continuously. Obviously this creates a nightmare for calculating basis should I ever wish to sell. I think that money would probably be better off in a Roth IRA - it amounts to about $2500 total across both stocks. These aren't through a broker, and I have some information in paper statements but this information is likely missing a chunk of data.

I will be, I think, in the 15% tax bracket this year - do I correctly interpret that I therefore don't have to pay capital gains tax, and thus would not need to determine basis? It occurs to me that I could save myself a lot of hassle by simply selling it all off in one fell swoop. I would owe short-term cap gains on the stuff purchased with dividends in the past year, but I have the records to figure that out. Everything else would have a 0% rate? I could then dump the money into a Roth and be happy. Does this check out?

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
I just received a CP2000 notice for my 2011 return. The major differences were over a stock sale and education tax credits.

A stock's purchase price was incorrectly listed as $0 on a 1099 form submitted by my broker, so a corrected form from them should resolve that issue.

For the American Opportunity Credit, the IRS is saying that since I signed up for a payment plan for my 2011 semester in 2010, I'm not eligible for the credit. The payment plan offered by my school allowed me to pay for my last semester with ~10 withdrawals from a checking account. The first payments occurred in 2010, but over $4,000 was withdrawn from my checking account during the 2011 semester. If those payments don't count towards the American Opportunity Credit, I should be able to deduct the cost of a laptop + books I purchased in 2011 because I took several computer science courses that required a laptop. The receipt for the laptop is long gone, but I should be able to find a credit card statement that lists the purchase. Will the credit card statement be enough proof for the IRS? Also, can someone confirm that my payment plan wasn't eligible for the credit?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Vote Republican posted:

amended returns are looked at by actual people instead of being read by a computer. it can take a couple of months for them to get posted into the IRS ledgers. Also the fact that the original returns were audited will also merit additional scrutiny. I'd forget about them and check in a couple of months tbh. There are at least three or four desks it goes through before someone finally does the posting.

If during the time that my amended returns are being processed I get CP-501s from the IRS for those tax years, do I just ignore them? What's the proper way to respond? I received notices for two of the three past years that I filed amended returns on (the third year was "cleared out" by then taking my due refund for 2012). Also I noticed that the amount for the 2011 tax year was reduced by the payment that I included with my 2011 amended return. The CP501 is kinda scary since it mentioned tax liens and levys and whatnot...any advice would be appreciated.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 16, 2013

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

kaishek posted:

Posting here at the advice of the long-term investing thread:

I have two stocks that I have held forever (over a decade, at least) that have been enrolled in DRIP, with dividends getting reinvested continuously. Obviously this creates a nightmare for calculating basis should I ever wish to sell. I think that money would probably be better off in a Roth IRA - it amounts to about $2500 total across both stocks. These aren't through a broker, and I have some information in paper statements but this information is likely missing a chunk of data.

I will be, I think, in the 15% tax bracket this year - do I correctly interpret that I therefore don't have to pay capital gains tax, and thus would not need to determine basis? It occurs to me that I could save myself a lot of hassle by simply selling it all off in one fell swoop. I would owe short-term cap gains on the stuff purchased with dividends in the past year, but I have the records to figure that out. Everything else would have a 0% rate? I could then dump the money into a Roth and be happy. Does this check out?

Any state taxes to consider?

Also if you ever have a restatement that pulls income/loses deductions and you bump up out from the 15% bracket you might be hosed. Even if it doesn't cost you any taxes, I'd still take a stab at the basis on your return.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Super Delegate posted:

I just received a CP2000 notice for my 2011 return. The major differences were over a stock sale and education tax credits.

A stock's purchase price was incorrectly listed as $0 on a 1099 form submitted by my broker, so a corrected form from them should resolve that issue.

For the American Opportunity Credit, the IRS is saying that since I signed up for a payment plan for my 2011 semester in 2010, I'm not eligible for the credit. The payment plan offered by my school allowed me to pay for my last semester with ~10 withdrawals from a checking account. The first payments occurred in 2010, but over $4,000 was withdrawn from my checking account during the 2011 semester. If those payments don't count towards the American Opportunity Credit, I should be able to deduct the cost of a laptop + books I purchased in 2011 because I took several computer science courses that required a laptop. The receipt for the laptop is long gone, but I should be able to find a credit card statement that lists the purchase. Will the credit card statement be enough proof for the IRS? Also, can someone confirm that my payment plan wasn't eligible for the credit?

AOC is based on the tuition that was actually paid in 2011, regardless of what your school's 1098-E says was billed in that year.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Tax debt issue edited out for privacy's sake

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

I would be very surprised if any money gets returned to your account unless your parents manage to negotiate a release of the levy. Any account associated with one of their SSN's (including yours, apparently) is subject to the levy.

If there is a local revenue officer that issued the levy, they MIGHT (but probably not) convince them to release the funds back into your bank account. If it is an automated collection system (ACS) account, then the chances are almost nil. You'll never get the same person on the phone twice, and they aren't known for their compassion and empathy.

You might contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service to see if they can help, but I am not sure that they can. This will be further complicated by the fact that the taxes are owed by your parents, not you, so it will be difficult to get the IRS or TAS to give you any information as they cannot disclose anything to you unless one of your parents is on the line with you when you call in.

Sorry to have to give you such dismal news.

The OK news is that a levy hits once and then goes away until another one gets issued. So you can put money into the account if you can find some, and bank normally for at least the next 30 days, or even better open an account by yourself (without your parent being on it) and bank normally.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 18, 2013

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is there any sort of hearing available? I know sometimes with wage garnishment, an account levy may also be placed but can be lifted if it's shown that the only funds in the account are already garnished/exempt from garnishment/garnishment limit has been reached. For example if your check is garnished at the maximum rate, they can't then levy your account (or have to lift it) if you show the only deposits to that account are the checks that were already garnished. Does anyone know if that applies to the irs?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Holy poo poo, dude. That sucks, I'm sorry. I hope something can be done.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2013

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

NancyPants posted:

Is there any sort of hearing available? I know sometimes with wage garnishment, an account levy may also be placed but can be lifted if it's shown that the only funds in the account are already garnished/exempt from garnishment/garnishment limit has been reached. For example if your check is garnished at the maximum rate, they can't then levy your account (or have to lift it) if you show the only deposits to that account are the checks that were already garnished. Does anyone know if that applies to the irs?

Doubt it. The IRS levy attaches to any account held in the taxpayer's name, regardless of any cosigners. There's some stuff in the IRM about wrongful levies but I don't believe that it applies here.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Lame. Thanks guys and/or gals. I'll see about a tax advocate.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, I make about 40k a year - unmarried male, 29, no dependents, living in California. This year my taxes owed were $1286.50 (!!!). Is that normal? I've never really budgeted around my taxes on the assumption they weren't going to be very high, but obviously I can't do that anymore.

So, what should I start doing to keep my taxes down? Is there something specifically I should keep track of throughout the year, writeoffs or such? Would hiring a professional tax preparer reduce it by a significant amount? I've never really thought about my taxes aside from just filing using Turbotax online every year, and I need to be pointed in the right direction so I'm not blindsided by this again.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Ooooookay it turns out I was totally misinformed about the debt situation. It's not a tax issue, it's a credit card debt issue. Time to find the correct thread!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, I make about 40k a year - unmarried male, 29, no dependents, living in California. This year my taxes owed were $1286.50 (!!!). Is that normal? I've never really budgeted around my taxes on the assumption they weren't going to be very high, but obviously I can't do that anymore.

I think what you mean is, you owed $1286.50 in April when you filed your taxes? Because it seems unlikely you only paid $1200 total, federal plus state plus social security plus other, on an income of 40k.

If you'd rather not have a big bill in April you can increase your withholding. Talk to your employer about updating your W-4.

CaptainJuan posted:

Ooooookay it turns out I was totally misinformed about the debt situation. It's not a tax issue, it's a credit card debt issue. Time to find the correct thread!

How in the gently caress did a credit card company get access to clean out a bank account?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

AbbiTheDog posted:

Any state taxes to consider?

Also if you ever have a restatement that pulls income/loses deductions and you bump up out from the 15% bracket you might be hosed. Even if it doesn't cost you any taxes, I'd still take a stab at the basis on your return.

Thanks for this response. I think for this year there is little chance of me moving out of the bracket, but state taxes is a good point. Yes, DC taxes. By "taking a stab" if I add up all the dividend payments I know about, and use average stock price for that year, to figure out amount invested (average yearly dividend) @ price (average price in 2002 for example) times number of years I've had it, is that close enough?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I think what you mean is, you owed $1286.50 in April when you filed your taxes? Because it seems unlikely you only paid $1200 total, federal plus state plus social security plus other, on an income of 40k.

If you'd rather not have a big bill in April you can increase your withholding. Talk to your employer about updating your W-4.
Yeah, 1286.50 is how much I needed to pay in April. I guess I'll just start putting away more every month and make my budget with that in mind...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, 1286.50 is how much I needed to pay in April. I guess I'll just start putting away more every month and make my budget with that in mind...

Increase your withholding: http://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/

Granted, you'll miss out on the $5 in interest you'd get from having that money in a savings account instead.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So I just read somewhere that a IRA deduction is actually not an itemized deduction and can be deducted alongside the standard deduction. I just wanted to confirm that before I start planning for the rest of this year and maybe next.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

So I just read somewhere that a IRA deduction is actually not an itemized deduction and can be deducted alongside the standard deduction. I just wanted to confirm that before I start planning for the rest of this year and maybe next.

Any contributions to an IRA reduce your taxable income accordingly, whether you itemize or not. It is like having money used for pre-tax insurance premiums or etc.

Edit: oops, to a Traditional IRA, not a Roth. Unless you are thinking of the Retirement Savings Credit?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

kaishek posted:

Thanks for this response. I think for this year there is little chance of me moving out of the bracket, but state taxes is a good point. Yes, DC taxes. By "taking a stab" if I add up all the dividend payments I know about, and use average stock price for that year, to figure out amount invested (average yearly dividend) @ price (average price in 2002 for example) times number of years I've had it, is that close enough?

Just document what you do in your files and take a "reasonable" stab at it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

kaishek posted:

Any contributions to an IRA reduce your taxable income accordingly, whether you itemize or not. It is like having money used for pre-tax insurance premiums or etc.

Edit: oops, to a Traditional IRA, not a Roth. Unless you are thinking of the Retirement Savings Credit?

But you're technically funding your IRA with after-tax money and then just getting it refunded later? Or is it possible to setup pretax contributions through an employer?

Not a Roth, a traditional.

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth maxing out a 401k (wife's) and two traditional IRAs. So that would reduce by taxable income by 28500.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 19, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

kaishek posted:

It's not any contributions. It's deductible contributions.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

But you're technically funding your IRA with after-tax money and then just getting it refunded later? Or is it possible to setup pretax contributions through an employer?

Not a Roth, a traditional.

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth maxing out a 401k (wife's) and two traditional IRAs. So that would reduce by taxable income by 28500.

Since your wife is covered by an employer sponsored plan, you might not be able to deduct your traditional IRA contributions if your income is too high. You can still contribute, but the contributions won't reduce taxable income this year and will instead create basis in the IRA (money that you can eventually take out tax free from the IRA). It effectively defers tax on the growth of the non deductible contribution. However, recapturing your basis is done pro rata based on how you draw down the account, so it isn't as simple as put in $5K post tax, take out $5K and pay no tax on it.

An example would be if you have an existing IRA that has $10K in it, you put in another $5K non deductible and therefore have a $15K IRA with a basis of $5K. If you later take out $5K (assuming that the account is still worth $15K at the time) then you would have liquidated 1/3 of the account, so you can recapture 1/3 of your basis. So you would have a $10K IRA with a $3,335 basis, and have a $5K distribution in that year that is $1,665 recapture of basis, $3,335 taxable.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 19, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, going over it again I've realized that at least for now it's a little too risky. My income is at the right level to do it but my expenses are unfortunately too high. I think for now I'll just go with putting $15,000 in my wife's 401k and $5,500 into a single IRA. That leaves me with a big enough buffer to make a yearly decision to fund a Roth/Another IRA or not.

Thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 19, 2013

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

furushotakeru posted:

It's not any contributions. It's deductible contributions.

Good point!

On an unrelated question, my office covers 100% of my health insurance premiums, but I have to pay all of the premiums for anyone else we add to our plan. So I have my wife on there, to the tune of $400 a month on a so-so plan through the "cafeteria plan" thing. I think I can (and have seen quotes for) better insurance for her through other private insurers, but this would mean it was not coming out of my paycheck anymore and thus not "pre-tax". Her premiums would not be deductible, unless they go above 7.5% of income and we itemize, right? Is there any way to have private insurance and use pre-tax money? It may actually still be worth it, because we'd be saving $150 a month on premiums.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

kaishek posted:

Good point!

On an unrelated question, my office covers 100% of my health insurance premiums, but I have to pay all of the premiums for anyone else we add to our plan. So I have my wife on there, to the tune of $400 a month on a so-so plan through the "cafeteria plan" thing. I think I can (and have seen quotes for) better insurance for her through other private insurers, but this would mean it was not coming out of my paycheck anymore and thus not "pre-tax". Her premiums would not be deductible, unless they go above 7.5% of income and we itemize, right? Is there any way to have private insurance and use pre-tax money? It may actually still be worth it, because we'd be saving $150 a month on premiums.

No, there is no way for an individual to pay for health insurance premiums using pre tax dollars if your total out of pocket medical costs don't exceed 7.5%. Even if your wife was self employed it would not be eligible for SEHI treatment since she CAN be covered under your employer, even if she chooses not to be.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

furushotakeru posted:

No, there is no way for an individual to pay for health insurance premiums using pre tax dollars if your total out of pocket medical costs don't exceed 7.5%. Even if your wife was self employed it would not be eligible for SEHI treatment since she CAN be covered under your employer, even if she chooses not to be.

Thanks a lot, Obamacare.

I guess I can still do the math: I think $250/mo of post-tax money still beats $400 a month of pre-tax, am I right? I'm on the upper edge of the 15% bracket but not over it.

Hufflepuff or bust! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 20, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

kaishek posted:

Thanks a lot, Obamacare.

I guess I can still do the math: I think $250/mo of post-tax money still beats $400 a month of pre-tax, am I right? I'm on the upper edge of the 15% bracket but not over it.

Depends on what your state tax rate is. The $400 is pre SS and medicare as well as pre income tax. If you are in a non income tax state, then this would mean your total savings would be 22.15% of $400, or about $89. So $250 post tax is indeed better than $311 (net) pre tax, but a state income and/or SDI tax might tip it the other way but it seems unlikely.

Also I'm pretty sure you are being facetious but just in case you aren't, "Obamacare" has nothing to do with this. The rules have not changed in as long as I can remember.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

furushotakeru posted:

Depends on what your state tax rate is. The $400 is pre SS and medicare as well as pre income tax. If you are in a non income tax state, then this would mean your total savings would be 22.15% of $400, or about $89. So $250 post tax is indeed better than $311 (net) pre tax, but a state income and/or SDI tax might tip it the other way but it seems unlikely.

Also I'm pretty sure you are being facetious but just in case you aren't, "Obamacare" has nothing to do with this. The rules have not changed in as long as I can remember.

Hahah yes, facetious. I've been using that line recently for everything. Store's outta milk? Thanks a lot, Obamacare.

Either way, you are right - I had neglected state tax (DC) as well as SS/Medicare payments in my calculations. Cutting the difference down to like $50 a month makes it a lot less appealing, given the difficulties involved with figuring out how to be a married couple with two separate insurers - who covers any future kids, etc.? I'll leave it put for now and bother HR about getting a better plan.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

This isn't a complicated situation, I just have no experience with taxes amazingly. So I've finally started my first real job after 8 years of college then grad school. I had to fill out my W4 and filing as single, and having one job, I ended up with a total of 2 allowances on line H. I had also used the IRS withholding calculator to try and figure out how much I should be withholding on my bi-monthly paycheck. This said that for my gross of ~$50,000 that my tax liability will be ~$4600 and that I should be taking 7 allowances. So, I'm now a bit confused
-Even though I'm starting work halfway through the year, $4600 seems way too low
-If I'm getting 2 allowances on my W4, why is the IRS calculator saying I should be at 7
-If that is right, how do I put down 7 when my W4 allowances only add up to 2
-I have federal education loans, is the interest from those deductible, or just any payments I make on the interest?

Finally, what is a good resource for learning the very basics about how to 'do' taxes. I'm likely going to have to redo my W4 soon since I'm buying a house in about 3 weeks and will likely want to reflect that I can use the mortgage interest payments as an itemization (I think), so if I'm confused now I can only imagine what it'll be like soon.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Kloaked00 posted:

... I've finally started my first real job after 8 years of college then grad school. I had to fill out my W4 and filing as single, and having one job, I ended up with a total of 2 allowances on line H. I had also used the IRS withholding calculator to try and figure out how much I should be withholding on my bi-monthly paycheck. This said that for my gross of ~$50,000 that my tax liability will be ~$4600 and that I should be taking 7 allowances.
Sanity check against the 2012 Tax Tables. Single, $50k AGI is a tax of $8536, versus $25k AGI at $3319. If you earn $50k per year, you won't be earning that much by the end of 2013. You have, however, $10k of standard deduction plus personal exemption, so $40k AGI = $6036 tax, $15k AGI = $1819 tax.

The W4 form contains a worksheet that helps you calculate withholding (Line H) but it need not match what you place on the "Withholding Certificate". You don't even have to complete the worksheet, as far as I know, and it mentions that Line 5 can be smaller than H. An employer doesn't know your full financial situation, but is required to adjust withholding based on this form. You are liable for your year-end tax and, as the W4 says, you're always entitled to an IRS review.

If your semimonthly gross is $2k and you claim two exemptions (E=2) of $162.50 each, Pub 15 Circular A Alternative 1 tables show $247/period, or $2964 over the next twelve periods. At E=7, it works out to $109/period or $1313 cumulative for the next twelve. The withholding calculator gave me E=5 and an anticipated tax of $1808 (so I believe my earlier numbers).

It's very likely you've put the wrong numbers on the calculator. Is your expected 2013 gross $50k or $100k? You can file for a student loan interest deduction on interest you've paid.

Honestly, since the calculator results are suspect, and we don't know what the AGI here actually will be, I have to advise that you set E=2 or E=1 and re-evaluate in September. Employers might get pissed if you try to change the W4 monthly, but if you change it in September and again March 2014, they shouldn't say anything. If they do, just tell them you're getting a full deduction for student loan interest and you filled out the W4 wrong, sorry. In any case, you're better off not getting as much monthly on your paycheck at E=1, budgeting a bit conservative at the beginning, and finding out you screwed up and getting a check for $2k the first year you're a wage earner. If you end up owing $2-3k your first time out, then you'll be earning even less all next year as you work to pay off penalties.

Perhaps one fundamental point in all this is that your employer doesn't know anything about your earnings or deductions outside that job. They take your per-period pay, plug it into a chart with your claimed exemptions, and withhold that amount.

In what field did you get your degree? Please say it's not mathematics. :downsrim:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 23, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to incur medical debt this year that exceeds 10% of my income, so I want to claim it as a deduction on my tax return for 2013.

But one of the medical bills is from a hospital and I might have to sign up for a payment plan. The bill is $2400 and I can either pay it off in full, or sign up for 24 monthly payments at $100/month.

If I sign up for the payment plan, can I claim the full $2400? Or just whatever monthly payments I end up making in 2013?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Thanks so much for the response. My yearly gross (not AGI) salary is $50k so since I'm starting July 1, I'll be earning $25k for the second half of this year. I also looked over some things and realized it's not semi-monthly, but bi-weekly (so every 2 weeks for a total of 26 pay periods per year).

So if I'm following you and reading that publication correctly, with a $50k yearly gross and 26 pay periods on a bi-weekly basis, and with the 2 exemptions I put down on the W4, that means my gross each paycheck is $1,923 (50,000/26) with $300 in exemptions ($150 per allowance x2) meaning my AGI is $1,623. That puts me in the $1,479 to $3,463 range on Alternative Table 1 so $177.80 is withheld per paycheck for taxes. Resulting in a net paycheck of $1,745?

Then with my 2013 gross being $25k, with the $10 standard deduction and personal exemption in your example, my total tax liability for 2013 is around $1,819. So with 177.80 being withheld each paycheck, that totals to $1,066, meaning I would owe $753 in taxes at the end of the year?

I think I followed you through that. And definitely not in mathematics. I'm in medicine.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

EugeneJ posted:

I'm going to incur medical debt this year that exceeds 10% of my income, so I want to claim it as a deduction on my tax return for 2013.

But one of the medical bills is from a hospital and I might have to sign up for a payment plan. The bill is $2400 and I can either pay it off in full, or sign up for 24 monthly payments at $100/month.

If I sign up for the payment plan, can I claim the full $2400? Or just whatever monthly payments I end up making in 2013?

As a cash basis taxpayer, you deduct expenses in the year that they are paid. So if you take the payment plan you'll only be able to deduct the payments you actually make.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Close, but the table has some weird A*B-C thing in it, your net paycheck doesn't go up when taxes are withheld :downs: and withholding applies for 13 payments this year so you'll end up with a refund:

Kloaked00 posted:

Thanks so much for the response. My yearly gross (not AGI) salary is $50k so since I'm starting July 1, I'll be earning $25k for the second half of this year. I also looked over some things and realized it's not semi-monthly, but bi-weekly (so every 2 weeks for a total of 26 pay periods per year).

So if I'm following you and reading that publication correctly, with a $50k yearly gross and 26 pay periods on a bi-weekly basis, and with the 2 exemptions I put down on the W4, that means my gross each paycheck is $1,923 (50,000/26) with $300 in exemptions ($150 per allowance x2) meaning my AGIwage is $1,623. That puts me in the $1,479 to $3,463 range on Alternative Table 1 so $177.80227.96 (25%*1623-177.80) is withheld per paycheck for taxes. Resulting in a net paycheck of $1,7451395 (before Social Security and Medicare is taken out)?

Then with my 2013 gross being $25k, with the $10 standard deduction and personal exemption in your example, my total tax liability for 2013 is around $1,819. So with 177.80227.96 being withheld each paycheck, that totals to $1,0662963.48 (227.96*13 pay periods), meaning I would owe $753 inget a refund of $1144.48 for taxes at the end of the year?

I think I followed you through that. And definitely not in mathematics. I'm in medicine.
pre:
 1923  Gross wage = FICA Taxable
 -228  Federal withholding (E=2)        191 (E=3)    169 (E=4)    146 (E=5)
       25%*(1923-2*150)-177.80
 -119  Social Security
  -28  Medicare
 1548  net wage                        1585 (E=3)   1607 (E=4)   1630 (E=5)

25000  Gross Income
-6100  Personal Deduction
-3900  Personal Exemption
15000  AGI (no other deductions)

-1804  Tax 2013 current law brackets
       8925*10%+
       (15000-8925)*15%
 2964  Tax paid (228*13)               2483 (E=3)   2197 (E=4)   1898 (E=5)
+1160  Refund                          +679 (E=3)   +393 (E=4)    +94 (E=5)
Withholding calculator tells me: "Based on the information you previously entered, your anticipated income tax for 2013 is $1,808. If you do not change your current withholding arrangement, you will have $2,964 withheld for 2013 resulting in an overpayment of $1,156.00 when you file your return.... If you want your withholding to more closely match your anticipated tax, adjust your withholding... 5 allowances".

Disclaimer One: You're still better off with a refund. Indeed you earn more biweekly money at E=5, to the tune of $82 woop de doo, for less refund later. E=3 or E=2 now looks good to me based on these numbers.

Disclaimer Two: If you have a 401k, your tax will change, but not your FICA requirements. Health plans reduce both.

Disclaimer Three: Your student loan deduction is based on interest paid during the year, to a maximum of $2500 (?). It's an AGI deduction, so your tax liability will decrease and your refund increase.

Disclaimer Four: The feds can and do change tax brackets very late in the year. 2012 taxes were not officially released until January. Slackers.

Getting a refund (>$500) is better than owing money (>$500). Check number sanity on your first pay check; if it's not even close, Ask. After four to six paychecks, go back to the IRS calculator and check again. If all is well, it should recommend E>=5. Thanks for trying to understand and checking the math. Others need to do this as well.

Now then, who amongst us has verified that the withholding tables are even sensible based on the brackets? :buddy:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

My girlfriend claimed a $30000 medical deduction on her 2009 return. Now the IRS is saying the surgery she paid for wasn't medically necessary, and they want their money. The deduction added about $2000 to her refund for 2009, but they're hitting her with a $1000 penalty and interest, and now the total owed is $10000. They will be garnishing her paychecks and leaving her only $200 per week. Will they go after her savings too? How should she deal with this?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

mlnhd posted:

My girlfriend claimed a $30000 medical deduction on her 2009 return. Now the IRS is saying the surgery she paid for wasn't medically necessary, and they want their money. The deduction added about $2000 to her refund for 2009, but they're hitting her with a $1000 penalty and interest, and now the total owed is $10000. They will be garnishing her paychecks and leaving her only $200 per week. Will they go after her savings too? How should she deal with this?

Have your girlfriend get in contact with a tax professional ASAP. This may or may not be fixable but it's beyond the scope of "free advice on an internet comedy forum" imo.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

mlnhd posted:

The obvious question here is what was the surgery? And how did a 30,000 medical deduction only add "about $2,000" to a refund?

Not a lot is making sense here, and your next move is going to be dependent on whether she has any kind of leg to stand on.

And yes, they can feasibly go after her savings, checking account, whatever.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Alright, that gives me a better sense of how things works. Yeah, my liability will be slightly less because of paying health insurance, and once I close and start paying my mortgage I'll be looking at whether to do the itemized deductions or the standard one. The situation is actually even more complicated for me because of where I work, I'm considered a public employee of the state, so I pay into a pension fund rather that Social Security each paycheck. I think that may have thrown off my calculations as I was counting it as retirement fund payments (ala 401k) but now I'm pretty sure those don't count like that.

Last question, where is the form/publication that you plugged all those numbers into? I'd like to run the numbers myself to really get comfortable with the math. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.