Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Surely that's for spoiler purposes.

Nah, it's mainly to discourage people from getting too excited and rushing to the LP forum when the game hits release. A bit reactionary, but there's plenty of people out there looking for e-fame by getting the first LP out.

Though CK2 is a whole different beast altogether compared to what usually gets LPed, so I imagine you guys could have a chance. Just PM slowbeef or Zorak before you go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Expansions resetting the LP timer on Paradox games isn't really what the spirit of that rule is all about.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I was considering the idea of an LP myself when The Old Gods came out (I abandoned the idea because I remembered I'm irresponsible and lazy) and I was thinking that it would probably be permissible to run an LP with the expansion and show off the new mechanics and whatnot, but maybe wait until the three-month-period has passed before actually showing playing as a Pagan. There've been enough changes and tweaks to the base game that even a Catholic LP would still have plenty to talk about.

That's just my relatively uninformed guess, though, so a PM to slowbeef and/or Zorak would certainly not go amiss if it's something being seriously considered.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there really anything stopping you from starting the LP now and just not doing the viking/pagan/Zoroastrian sections until last? I mean it's not as if Old Gods really changes anything dramatically for Catholic/Byzantine/Muslim/Republic rulers.

The Old Gods has already been out for a month, so there's only two more to go until the time is up, and maybe by then Axemaniac would be more amenable to allowing it, seeing as we have dev permission. There's also no telling how long it'll take to even get through the other content.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Doomdark put some post-release thoughts up on the Paradox forums. Of interest:

quote:

As usual, however, there were a few things we had to leave undone. (This is normal; I always like to have a list of optional features planned in case we have time to squeeze them in.) I had hoped to get diplomatic options in where you could pay protection money to attacking heathens or settle them as vassals (like what happened with Normandy). I also wanted to do something about the Magyars keeping their counties in the Ukraine even after settling in Hungary, but couldn't figure out a good and feasible nomad system in general (the basic game mechanics just do not fit nomadic tribes at all.) However, I still intend to tweak the formation of Hungary event to solve that specific issue at some future point. So, some features got pushed forward to the next patch level (e.g. an automatic plot invitation system), but many of the optional features from the design actually did make it into The Old Gods. For example, many of the Zoroastrian features; Xwedodah marriages, the Saoshyant decision, etc.

Oh, and...

quote:

There isn't really much more to say about the development of The Old Gods. From my perspective, it was a smooth and fairly uneventful (in a good way) process. The future will certainly bring more improvements to the game; some of which you can probably see coming, others, I think, will be more surprising. We also have something special planned for August; two smaller DLCs (and no, they are not portrait or unit packs...)

Emphasis mine.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh, and...

Emphasis mine.

Oh my god please be naval combat.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lawman 0 posted:

I would like this as well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lawman 0 posted:

Was naval combat even "a thing" during the Medieval ages?

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, er. I did a thing.

That's from an Østlandet start in 867. By the time Harald Fairhair died at the ripe old age of 80, he'd conquered Norway, Scotland, Jorvik and most of Sweden. Most of the Things on that map is actually from my vassals, crazily enough. Once Harald's grandson, Fylkrir (appropriately enough), reformed the faith and became the Fylkirate and Emperor of Scandinavia in one fell swoop, things just went nuts.

Edit: My current ruler is my first Fylkja... and she's Kind, Just, Ambitious, Temperate, and a Mastermind Theologian. So of course she declared the first Great Holy War for Odin, liberating Sicily from Byzantium. :v:

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'd like more intrigue/rivarly options before naval combat but that'd make sense too. In a recent game my wife was murdered but there were no suspects. It'd be nice if you could actually use your spymaster to investigate a murder or failed assassination attempt at the risk of not uncovering new plots. It seems strange that you just have to go "oh, they killed my wife, shame I'll just have to get another one." If your spymaster was deceptive, cruel, or behind the hit himself he might try to pin it on one of his rivals to try to get them out of the way.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Considering they're supposedly 'smaller' DLCs I'm betting one alt-historical widget like Sunset Invasion and one Enhancement/Tweak pack to add more diplo options and rivalries and suchlike without actually adding in new game modes or massive content additions.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DrSunshine posted:

Not enough to make an entire DLC out of, I don't think, however, naval power was far more important than its portrayed in CKII. I mean invading an established England wouldn't be easy simply because of their ability to crank out ships and meet them in the channel. The English and the French also fought a number of small battle in said channel and along the coasts, including the Phillipi Races of the Hundred Years War. Further, naval power was how the (and I am loathe to use the word, but for lack of a better term) Arabs managed to conquer and hold Sicly and Spain for as long as they did. In fact their loss of those territories can be attributed in part to their decline in naval superiority. Likewise, the naval power was especially important for the Italian Merchant Republics, because it was how they could assure their trade dominance.

Shorter version: Naval power should be able to assist you in repelling invasions and would give you an incentive to invest in naval infrastructure.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, though it was more about ramming and lots of ships getting together and boarding one another. Some pretty neat sagas were written about some of them, like the Battle of Svolder.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there any way, mod or otherwise, that I can randomize who I play as at the start? Also the year, etc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Is there any way, mod or otherwise, that I can randomize who I play as at the start? Also the year, etc.

Close your eyes and mash buttons?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Shorter version: Naval power should be able to assist you in repelling invasions and would give you an incentive to invest in naval infrastructure.

Yeah I mean I already try and make vassal republics for the express purpose of having a huge navy at my disposal.
Basically I think that naval combat should be decided by who has the best mix of troops (cav should be only half as good and archers get double attack or whatever) and the best ships/leader (with a new naval leadership card introduced) which would probably make the merchant republics dominant much as they were in real life.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Playing as a kid is the worst.

"You have gained the "Just" trait."
"Your mentor says justice is just something made up by people with too much time on their hands."
"You have lost the "Just" trait."

No, gently caress you, sister! t:mad:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

No, gently caress you, sister! t:mad:

Be wary what you wish for.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Be wary what you wish for.

:unsmigghh:
But seriously try again.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aaaagh. Through some perverse feat of marriage, the Kingdom of the Westerreich merged with the Kingdom of the Barrier. Now the Faith of Sonendis rules two of the largest swathes of Central Sonendar. I gave that faith the decision to turn every single religion into a heresy of Sonendis if they manage to control all the territory surrounding Lake Sonendar.

Also the Kingdom of Bregnac has almost totally absorbed Everdell and Manxwall to the southwest! And in the east, the Zhao Dynasty is well on its way to reunifying the Yuan Empire!! And I just noticed that the Kingdom of Daxos is being picked apart by Ghanipur and The Westerreich/Barrier in the Northeast.

Shiiiit! :suicide:

If you want to get in on this madness, download...

Sonendar v.1.04.2

EDIT: In the latest version I've altered the Pirate Raid CB a bit to make it even more devastating. In the last raid, I got my rear end kicked by Dagny Mancrusher of the Lost Isles, a descendant of Janessa, and she levied a toll of 842 gold ducats on me. I only had 280 in the bank.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 19, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, and the Byzantines' huge naval strength (up until about the 11th century) is probably one of the reasons why they survived as long as they did. Having to rely on other states'/polities' naval assets (Venice, Genoa, etc.) later in the Empire's life is also one of the main reasons they got hosed. Despite how much naval operations could be boned over by random chance (bad weather), having a powerful navy was An Incredibly Important Thing in the medieval era.

[CK2+?] Succession laws question: I've been ruling over the Kingdom of Novgorod as a descendant of Rurik for a while--started it up while that bug that forced all new pagan kingdoms into primogeniture was active. Just converted to Orthodox. Created the Kingdom of Kiev title now too, but it gets stuck as a gavelkind title that will be handed off to my second son. There's no succession law option available under the Kingdom of Kiev's separate laws menu--how do I make sure it becomes primogeniture too? Is it possible?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not enough to make an entire DLC out of, I don't think, however, naval power was far more important than its portrayed in CKII. I mean invading an established England wouldn't be easy simply because of their ability to crank out ships and meet them in the channel. The English and the French also fought a number of small battle in said channel and along the coasts, including the Phillipi Races of the Hundred Years War. Further, naval power was how the (and I am loathe to use the word, but for lack of a better term) Arabs managed to conquer and hold Sicly and Spain for as long as they did. In fact their loss of those territories can be attributed in part to their decline in naval superiority. Likewise, the naval power was especially important for the Italian Merchant Republics, because it was how they could assure their trade dominance.

Don't forget Lepanto, which effectively stopped Ottoman expansion in its tracks! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lepanto

Granted, it was a while after the CK2 period, but not excessively so. Just goes to show that naval battles could on occasion prove even more decisive than those on land.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Considering they're supposedly 'smaller' DLCs I'm betting one alt-historical widget like Sunset Invasion and one Enhancement/Tweak pack to add more diplo options and rivalries and suchlike without actually adding in new game modes or massive content additions.

That was my first guess as well when I read the quotes. It definitely sounds like one sensible, mechanics-oriented one and one wackier one.

Personally I'm gunning for Atlanteans.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DrPop posted:

Yes, and the Byzantines' huge naval strength (up until about the 11th century) is probably one of the reasons why they survived as long as they did. Having to rely on other states'/polities' naval assets (Venice, Genoa, etc.) later in the Empire's life is also one of the main reasons they got hosed. Despite how much naval operations could be boned over by random chance (bad weather), having a powerful navy was An Incredibly Important Thing in the medieval era.

[CK2+?] Succession laws question: I've been ruling over the Kingdom of Novgorod as a descendant of Rurik for a while--started it up while that bug that forced all new pagan kingdoms into primogeniture was active. Just converted to Orthodox. Created the Kingdom of Kiev title now too, but it gets stuck as a gavelkind title that will be handed off to my second son. There's no succession law option available under the Kingdom of Kiev's separate laws menu--how do I make sure it becomes primogeniture too? Is it possible?

Yeah the lack of the byzantines abusing the gently caress out of greek fire to torch invaders seriously bothers me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I hope one of the dlcs is that rumored ck2->eu3 converter.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

SeaTard posted:

They're going to make a ck2->eu4 converter, more like.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I booted this up and tooled around. Next to The Winter King, Sonendar is my favorite alternative map to play. :allears:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SeaTard posted:

I believe the thought is that's going to be one of the pre-order DLC for EUIV. Someone (supposedly) found the ad banner for it tucked away on some digital distribution site.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Get out of there, Rurikids :argh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Aaaagh. Through some perverse feat of marriage, the Kingdom of the Westerreich merged with the Kingdom of the Barrier. Now the Faith of Sonendis rules two of the largest swathes of Central Sonendar. I gave that faith the decision to turn every single religion into a heresy of Sonendis if they manage to control all the territory surrounding Lake Sonendar.

Also the Kingdom of Bregnac has almost totally absorbed Everdell and Manxwall to the southwest! And in the east, the Zhao Dynasty is well on its way to reunifying the Yuan Empire!! And I just noticed that the Kingdom of Daxos is being picked apart by Ghanipur and The Westerreich/Barrier in the Northeast.

Shiiiit! :suicide:

If you want to get in on this madness, download...

Sonendar v.1.04.2

EDIT: In the latest version I've altered the Pirate Raid CB a bit to make it even more devastating. In the last raid, I got my rear end kicked by Dagny Mancrusher of the Lost Isles, a descendant of Janessa, and she levied a toll of 842 gold ducats on me. I only had 280 in the bank.

This is one of my favorite mods but between the various vanilla games and the Elder Kings mod I hardly have time for Sonedar :saddowns:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

We go where we please :black101:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Do place names change based on who holds them? I was wondering why the duchy with Dublin in it had been renamed Tara from Heath.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

I really hope that one of these is better mechanics for theocracies and the Papacy. A college of cardinals would be very cool, and might make giving counties/duchies to priests worthwhile if they were more likely to become cardinals based on their power or wealth. You could influence cardinals that owe fealty to you to vote for your Pope of choice, and possibly get a relationship modifier with him if you were instrumental in getting him elected. Might cause problems if one of your cardinals gets elected Pope though. Where would his holdings in your realm go?

Also, abbeys in some form. Because I really want to see an event chain detailing the adventures of a mystery solving monk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, nobody objected to that last list of sections for the new Tutorial LP, so it's finalized. Now taking signups for people who want to show off each style. The idea for each should be to start at Duke or equivalent and go through getting to King or equivalent while showing off the unique features and mechanics. I'll do Standard Catholic since I'm not gonna be the bossy guy who demands a bunch of work without contributing, that's rude.

1) Standard Catholic - Claimed by CapnAndy
2) Byzantine - Claimed by Dirty_Moses
3) Muslim - SpaceViking
4) Republic - Claimed by Daeren
5) Pagan Vikings - Claimed by beefart
6) Zoroastrian - Claimed by GrabbinPeels

So who wants the other five?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 19, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, nobody objected to that last list of sections for the new Tutorial LP, so it's finalized. Now taking signups for people who want to show off each style. The idea for each should be to start at Duke or equivalent and go through getting to King or equivalent while showing off the unique features and mechanics. I'll do Standard Catholic since I'm not gonna be the bossy guy who demands a bunch of work without contributing, that's rude.

2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagan Vikings
6) Zoroastrian

So would the LPs stop once you get to King-equivalent? Or were you thinking something else? Because a few groups would probably take all of one update to start from Duke and get to King (coughVikingscough)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SpaceViking posted:

So would the LPs stop once you get to King-equivalent? Or were you thinking something else? Because a few groups would probably take all of one update to start from Duke and get to King (coughVikingscough)
If there are things left to show off and explain, keep going. The idea is to show new players what to do with each kind of ruler, not keep going until you're a mega-empire and you win. It doesn't have to stop the second you get a crown.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

I'd love to help; I can handle Zoroastrians if we'd be allowed to use something from the DLC so soon after release. Otherwise I wouldn't mind showing off a Muslim game.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CapnAndy posted:

2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagan Vikings
6) Zoroastrian

Dibs on a Republic :toot:

I'm not really familiar with Islamic republics, but I've screwed around quite a bit as Catholic and Norse republics, if you guys want to showcase how different religious playstyles interact with a republic's playstyle.

As for Zoroastrians, I think whoever picks that up should put a big ol' disclaimer on top that a Zoroastrian start is effectively Hard Mode unless you know exactly how to handle the inevitable Caliphate clown cars.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

If there are things left to show off and explain, keep going. The idea is to show new players what to do with each kind of ruler, not keep going until you're a mega-empire and you win. It doesn't have to stop the second you get a crown.

The viking game would last for a while then because you would have to reform the faith I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

GrabbinPeels posted:

I'd love to help; I can handle Zoroastrians if we'd be allowed to use something from the DLC so soon after release.
We have dev permission, I'll ask specifically again in the sandbox, and if else fails we can just put the Zoroastrians and Pagans last so they don't go up until 3 months have passed. So do you want them?

• Locked thread