Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SeaTard posted:

Nothing special, you just make more money. You can have as many CoTs as you wish. I don't remember if the global_cot_gravity setting is defined in vanilla, but if it is you'll also have more provinces in your CoT than a non-MR would in theirs.

They won't accept the invitation. The AI is hardcoded to never join a league if they have a CoT, and to leave if they want to create one or ever conquer one.

I think I should specify "assume they do accept" because I play multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Does that mean you should satellite off places like Turkish-owned Albania immediately? I was assuming that if I clung on for long enough they'd settle down.

If you're not going for or aren't powerful/large enough for an infamy-ignoring world conquest, then yes, satelliting off your conquests is better. If, on the other hand, you're playing as Germany or Russia or something, then you can hold them for as long as you want - just crush the rebellions whenever they flare up.

It's possible to gain cores on places that you've arbitrarily conquered which would then remove the additional militancy, but you can't really count on this as it takes a long time and just happens randomly.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gort posted:

Does that mean you should satellite off places like Turkish-owned Albania immediately? I was assuming that if I clung on for long enough they'd settle down.

Albania is a bad example of this, since it often becomes an industrial hub for the OE (for whatever reason).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Well, you won't get any extra militancy for not having cores in Albania (because you do). You'll get some militancy because Albanians aren't an accepted culture, but that can be dealt with by switching to a Full Citizenship party, and fortunately, the Ottomans start with one available.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's possible to gain cores on places that you've arbitrarily conquered which would then remove the additional militancy, but you can't really count on this as it takes a long time and just happens randomly.

I think you need to have a primary culture majority in the province now, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think you need to have a primary culture majority in the province now, too.

The requirements for the event for gaining a core are:

• Have Nationalism & Imperialism
  • Be a great power
  • Province is not colonial
  • Province is either majority primary culture, majority accepted culture, or neighbors a core province

The MTTH is 180 months, and that's cut in half if the province is majority primary culture. It is also further reduced if the province is coastal, and if it has low militancy and consciousness.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's an "accepted" culture, and how do I get new ones?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gort posted:

What's an "accepted" culture, and how do I get new ones?

Accepted cultures are set in stone and can't be changed other than through event (and I don't think vanilla has any that change them). It simply means that these people aren't treated in any special way in general (though I do think that Residency political parties still disenfranchise these pops?). For instance, Dixie's an accepted culture of the USA (contrast with Yankee, which is primary, and say French which is neither primary nor accepted).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

YF-23 posted:

Accepted cultures are set in stone and can't be changed other than through event (and I don't think vanilla has any that change them).

The USA has some decisions that grant cultures like Cherokee and Afro-American as accepted cultures, though that was NNM so I don't know if that's in vanilla or not.

But yeah, other than events and decisions the only way to add accepted cultures is by save-editing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bishop Rodan posted:

The USA has some decisions that grant cultures like Cherokee and Afro-American as accepted cultures, though that was NNM so I don't know if that's in vanilla or not.

But yeah, other than events and decisions the only way to add accepted cultures is by save-editing.

Trail of Tears is in vanilla as I recall and adds Cherokee as accepted.

Though I do really wish/hope in a future patch or expansion, Paradox adds an accepting mechanic, where you can gain new accepted cultures or lose existing ones if they meet certain requirements and at a cost. So like if you want to play as Korea and annex Manchuria, you can try to accept them and not discriminate against half of your nation, at the cost of (in addition to whatever the decision costs you) the Mancunians not becoming Koreans, and if you play as the USA and want a really harsh reconstruction, you can drop Texans and Dixies as accepted pops and try to force them to assimilate.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

the Mancunians not becoming Koreans

You have no idea how hilarious this is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

You have no idea how hilarious this is.

Hah, that will teach me to not check what spellcheck is autocorrecting me to :downs:. I'm leaving it because it's funny, but yeah I meant Manchurians, not people from Manchester.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey, does Victoria 2 comes to a crawl with NNM for anybody else? It's unbearable for me. I thought this was a lighter mod.

fspades fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 19, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

fspades posted:

Hey, does Victoria 2 works comes to a crawl with NNM for anybody else? It's unbearable for me. I thought this was a lighter mod.

I tried the Pop Demand Mod for HoD and it was really really slow, but I didn't notice a difference with NNM.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It depends on if you are using the full or cores only version I think. The problem is simply that every nation added to the map expands the economic part of the game, which is very cpu heavy as there are a great many calculations going on in every country. PDM makes this problem ten times worse by adding more trade goods, which takes a very heavy toll for most people.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Zeron posted:

It depends on if you are using the full or cores only version I think. The problem is simply that every nation added to the map expands the economic part of the game, which is very cpu heavy as there are a great many calculations going on in every country. PDM makes this problem ten times worse by adding more trade goods, which takes a very heavy toll for most people.

PDM tinkers with pops, too. I'm fairly certain that adds to the problem, if it's not the main cause. I'm not sure if it just does it with soldier pops, or with all of them, but it splits and groups soldier pops up. So, if you have a million+ population province, instead of it having like a 60k size soldier pop it'd have 20 different 3k soldier pops.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

fspades posted:

Hey, does Victoria 2 comes to a crawl with NNM for anybody else? It's unbearable for me. I thought this was a lighter mod.

NNM is much lighter than Pop of Darkness; NNM slows my game down a large amount, to about 1-2 days a second at max speed, PoD would slow it down to <1 day a second (granted I have an older Phenom II x4, none of that fancy i7 stuff the kids these days use :bahgawd: ). The light version of NNM removes the new nations in Africa (I believe it keeps the cores but the actual nations that are not in vanilla go away). Victoria 2 also just in general gets slowed down endgame. You can also tweak settings to get some more CPU performance by editing the settings file to make the water simple, disable anti-aliasing, etc.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

NNM is much lighter than Pop of Darkness; NNM slows my game down a large amount, to about 1-2 days a second at max speed, PoD would slow it down to <1 day a second (granted I have an older Phenom II x4, none of that fancy i7 stuff the kids these days use :bahgawd: ). The light version of NNM removes the new nations in Africa (I believe it keeps the cores but the actual nations that are not in vanilla go away). Victoria 2 also just in general gets slowed down endgame. You can also tweak settings to get some more CPU performance by editing the settings file to make the water simple, disable anti-aliasing, etc.

Where can I find this lighter version? Also would a 2+ gb .exe tweak help or did PI took care of that with HOD?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

fspades posted:

Where can I find this lighter version?
Huh, I forgot that the HoD version of the mod doesn't have a basic version. The AHD version did but the modder seems to have stopped supporting it :(.

quote:

Also would a 2+ gb .exe tweak help or did PI took care of that with HOD?

As I recall, Paradox did not fix the 2GB thing so it may lead to a performance boost (it mostly fixes later game memory leaks but it may boost overall performance).

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

DrProsek posted:

Huh, I forgot that the HoD version of the mod doesn't have a basic version. The AHD version did but the modder seems to have stopped supporting it :(.

As I recall, Paradox did not fix the 2GB thing so it may lead to a performance boost (it mostly fixes later game memory leaks but it may boost overall performance).
I didn't play Victoria 2 before HoD, but when I used CFF Explorer to go set the V2 exe as large address aware, it already was.

I was wondering what process people use to recruit armies in Victoria 2. I like how you can set rally points, but it'd be neat if you could be more precise about which new recruits go where. I guess you could be more deliberate by setting rally points and then hand-picking provinces around those points so that the right recruits go to the nearby point, but that's more time consuming than just using the military tab for recruitment too.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 20, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

I like the 1k stack.

There's a 5K stack near the top of the image.

:drat:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So the East vs. West team just announced that they'll be doing a livestream demo of the game on the 25th- even money if we'll see anything non-combat related.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
The main theme for EU4 was released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_qehhZUds

Paradox uploaded it as an mp3 too!

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 20, 2013

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
No Falalalan, no preorder. :colbert:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

seal it with a kiss posted:

Andreas Waldetoft works his magic once again. :allears:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Littlefinger posted:

They should get with the times and do a dubstep remix.

Please don't.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Music DLC: Drops of Byzantium

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is pretty... meh.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

Trail of Tears is in vanilla as I recall and adds Cherokee as accepted.

Though I do really wish/hope in a future patch or expansion, Paradox adds an accepting mechanic, where you can gain new accepted cultures or lose existing ones if they meet certain requirements and at a cost. So like if you want to play as Korea and annex Manchuria, you can try to accept them and not discriminate against half of your nation, at the cost of (in addition to whatever the decision costs you) the Mancunians not becoming Koreans, and if you play as the USA and want a really harsh reconstruction, you can drop Texans and Dixies as accepted pops and try to force them to assimilate.

The Emancipation Proclaimation decision adds Afro-American as accepted to USA too. It's also the only way to get them accepted, so if you game militancy to end slavery in the 1830s the Afro-Americans will all assimilate.

And yes, the rule is tha Residency=only supporting your primary culture, Limited Citizenship is Primary+Accepted, and Full Citizenship is everyone. It's the reason why no party on the US is lower than Limited...a policy of "White Southerners can't vote" would be...odd for a right-wing US.

Edit:though probably impossible, the dream country in V2 would be Germany formed by either Danzig (Germany with Polish accepted) or Luxemburg (Germany with French accepted).

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 20, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Patter Song posted:

The Emancipation Proclaimation decision adds Afro-American as accepted to USA too. It's also the only way to get them accepted, so if you game militancy to end slavery in the 1830s the Afro-Americans will all assimilate.

And yes, the rule is tha Residency=only supporting your primary culture, Limited Citizenship is Primary+Accepted, and Full Citizenship is everyone. It's the reason why no party on the US is lower than Limited...a policy of "White Southerners can't vote" would be...odd for a right-wing US.

Edit:though probably impossible, the dream country in V2 would be Germany formed by either Danzig (Germany with Polish accepted) or Luxemburg (Germany with French accepted).

Not impossible, just takes a bit of patience and skill (Though this was with AHD)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/v217n.png/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, someone tell me about the suppression system in HoD. When should I be suppressing movements? Is it such a big deal if they become more radical?

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Patter Song posted:

Playing a German Empire game with French accepted culture sounds like a fun change of pace. Does anyone know the easiest way to form the North German Federation through console commands/save game editing as Luxembourg? Forming the NGF is already my least favorite part of any Germany game, I think I'd probably bash my brain in trying to do it legitimately as Luxembourg, but I wouldn't mind playing around with the results.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sheriff posted:

Playing a German Empire game with French accepted culture sounds like a fun change of pace. Does anyone know the easiest way to form the North German Federation through console commands/save game editing as Luxembourg? Forming the NGF is already my least favorite part of any Germany game, I think I'd probably bash my brain in trying to do it legitimately as Luxembourg, but I wouldn't mind playing around with the results.

Think the easiest would be to make a LUX exclusive copy of the form NGF decision that's the same minus any requirements.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Think the easiest would be to make a LUX exclusive copy of the form NGF decision that's the same minus any requirements.

That event only triggers the annexation events for North German nations in your sphere. You might get cores, but you'd still only have the one province. You'd have to fiddle the event to trigger "North German Winds" or whatever it's called for all North German nations, not just sphered ones, to annex them.

Also, add player=yes or whatever to the requirements to stop AI Luxembourg blobbing uncontrollably. Unless you're into that sort of thing.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Littlefinger posted:

They're saving Falalalan for a :10bux: DLC that will be only Falalalan. And we will all buy it, because Falalalan owns.

Edit:

James The 1st posted:

HoD is $9 on Steam.
Actually, pretty much everything except the brand new stuff from Paradox is on sale on Steam

Welp, time to stock up on DLCs for even games I rarely play :shepspends:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 20, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
HoD is $9 on Steam.
Actually, pretty much everything except the brand new stuff from Paradox is on sale on Steam

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Someone please take this video and replace the audio with Falalalan.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I loved the new crisis mechanics until it was hijacked by loving Pashtunistan.

See, Pashtunistan has a lot of Afghani POPs. The Sikh Empire either had it from the start, or just gobbled it very early in-game. After some time, an Afhgani Liberation Movement spawned there and recruited an insane amount of people. So much, that it generates over 0.5% flashpoint tension a day. Nevertheless, it doesn't spawn any patriot rebels and Afghanistan sure as hell won't attack a country protected by the British. So, since circa 1840, the following pattern can be seen:

1. Pashtunistan highlights sickly red on the crisis mapmode.
2. The whole world stops everything with their eyes the Sikh Empire. Surely someone will hear the plight of poor Afghani people!
3. No Great Power gives a poo poo, as it is nowhere near their Spheres of Influence, except the British who have no reason to give away a part of their puppet.
4. The crisis fizzles.
5. Everything repeats after several years.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Welp, time to stock up on DLCs for even games I rarely play :shepspends:

Wait until Sunday to see if any of it goes on a daily sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gantolandon posted:

I loved the new crisis mechanics until it was hijacked by loving Pashtunistan.

See, Pashtunistan has a lot of Afghani POPs. The Sikh Empire either had it from the start, or just gobbled it very early in-game. After some time, an Afhgani Liberation Movement spawned there and recruited an insane amount of people. So much, that it generates over 0.5% flashpoint tension a day. Nevertheless, it doesn't spawn any patriot rebels and Afghanistan sure as hell won't attack a country protected by the British. So, since circa 1840, the following pattern can be seen:

1. Pashtunistan highlights sickly red on the crisis mapmode.
2. The whole world stops everything with their eyes the Sikh Empire. Surely someone will hear the plight of poor Afghani people!
3. No Great Power gives a poo poo, as it is nowhere near their Spheres of Influence, except the British who have no reason to give away a part of their puppet.
4. The crisis fizzles.
5. Everything repeats after several years.

I noticed the exact same thing in my Prussia->Germany game recently. It's unfortunate that the AI isn't willing to play along with that, since the Great Game seems like the perfect setting for the crisis system.

It'd be nice if, when a crisis ends, the affected provinces got a modifier that significantly decreases the flashpoint tension for, say, 20 years.

• Locked thread