Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toby
Dec 4, 2002

No Wave posted:

Are you guys sure you're doing it right?

Like this:

40 limes shouldn't be a problem, but again you know your needs better than I do.

I guarantee you, if you're batch-juicing a bunch of citrus for later use, or juicing individual fruits many times throughout an evening while doing other things (for both scenarios, think making cocktails at a bar), it becomes a problem.

I've used this (but do not own it), it works well imo. http://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Large-Commercial-Juice-Press/dp/B0000CFBZP/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hand squeezers are cool and all for like, < 5 of something. But if you're a fan of fresh orange juice or like squeezing a shitton I'd get a counter top press. Let me know if you find a good deal on one, I've been looking for a while.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

toby posted:

I guarantee you, if you're batch-juicing a bunch of citrus for later use, or juicing individual fruits many times throughout an evening while doing other things (for both scenarios, think making cocktails at a bar), it becomes a problem.

I've used this (but do not own it), it works well imo. http://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Large-Commercial-Juice-Press/dp/B0000CFBZP/

This one is out of my price range. I should have mentioned I don't want to spend more than $80. I was thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Re...=I35UOXHKNWFG8G but I wanted to see if there was a highly recommended one out there before I ordered it. It also oddly enough is a 2 for 1 deal.

If I get it I'll be sure to let you guys know how good they are.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

walruscat posted:

This one is out of my price range. I should have mentioned I don't want to spend more than $80. I was thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Re...=I35UOXHKNWFG8G but I wanted to see if there was a highly recommended one out there before I ordered it. It also oddly enough is a 2 for 1 deal.

If I get it I'll be sure to let you guys know how good they are.

Those are near enough the same price if I'm not mistaken. The one you linked to has another 35 dollars in shipping costs...unless you absolutely need the second one, or want to resell it, I suppose. The one Toby posted, if bought used, gets down to around $70 with shipping.

As long as it is stable and the hinges smooth, I'd imagine one is pretty much the same as any other.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2013

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Drifter posted:

Those are near enough the same price if I'm not mistaken. The one you linked to has another 35 dollars in shipping costs...unless you absolutely need the second one, or want to resell it, I suppose. The one Toby posted, if bought used, gets down to around $70 with shipping.

As long as it is stable and the hinges smooth, I'd imagine one is pretty much the same as any other.

You are absolutely right. I think I'll go with the used one. Thanks for the help. I'm going to be tending bar at a pool party soon, which will give me a lot of testing of the press to report on.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I have a vintage Wear-Ever like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Alu...=item46102bdfa2

My Mom got Grandma's; Mom bought me my own. They are bombproof and juice excellently even for volume work. One of my tasks as a small girl was juicing what seemed like millions of pomegranates for pomegranate jelly in one of those bad boys.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Insanely tiring. I am also looking for a good standup press, let me know if you find anything. I keep meaning to go hunting around for a god kitchen supply store but never have.

the last kitchen I worked in used this : http://www.waringwebstore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=WAR+PCJ218&trk_src_ss=WARPAYPCWEBMACSS&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKyh4r7t8bcCFWIV7AodRB8Akw

I went through about 10 cases of citrus on it, it was fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

the last kitchen I worked in used this : http://www.waringwebstore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=WAR+PCJ218&trk_src_ss=WARPAYPCWEBMACSS&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKyh4r7t8bcCFWIV7AodRB8Akw

I went through about 10 cases of citrus on it, it was fine.

Yeah but that lacks the danger element of drunkenly getting my finger caught in the gears.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I want something non-electric so I can use it outside without need a hookup. Also I won't lie, part of the appeal is the actual device. They are fun to use and look pretty nifty.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

walruscat posted:

I want something non-electric so I can use it outside without need a hookup. Also I won't lie, part of the appeal is the actual device. They are fun to use and look pretty nifty.

Honestly, just crush the citrus against your forehead and wink at the ladies as the juice dribbles seductively down your face, off your chin and into the glass.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

walruscat posted:

oh, ok - use one of these then, they work great

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainl...rds=juice+press

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sous-Vide: How/what/where?

I don't have a foodsaver yet, so I need recommendations on those first I suppose. Also, I've seen the thing that Richard Blais was promoting (Sous Vide king I think?), but I also remember FGR promoting some immersion circulators on ebay or something that were refurbished.

Here's the thing: It will be used primarily for my wife and I. We hardly ever have people over and if we did, it would probably be a party where we are grilling anyways. I really want to get into sous vide and just want to know which are suggested.

Thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

I don't have a foodsaver yet, so I need recommendations on those first I suppose. Also, I've seen the thing that Richard Blais was promoting (Sous Vide king I think?), but I also remember FGR promoting some immersion circulators on ebay or something that were refurbished.

Here's the thing: It will be used primarily for my wife and I. We hardly ever have people over and if we did, it would probably be a party where we are grilling anyways. I really want to get into sous vide and just want to know which are suggested.

Thanks!
If you want the lowest possible barrier for entry you could pick up a Sous Vide Supreme Demi. It's not an immersion circulator but `merely' a water bath (controlled by a PID) so it's not quite as temperature stable as an IC. The instrumentation is also built into the cooking vessel, so you're stuck with one volume/container---most ICs, on the other hand, can be adapted to any number of cooking vessels.

What you apparently saw FGR talking about is an IC from e.g. PolyScience. They make purpose-built sous vide ICs, but the people picking them up secondhand on eBay are typically buying old lab equipment. ICs are pretty flexible, but they tend to be more expensive than water baths like the SVS puddle machines. They also have moving parts (the SVS puddle machines have none, and rely on convection) so in theory there are more maintenance issues (although I don't have any data on this).

I've got a SVS. It's fine for cooking for two, and has the advantage of looking and behaving exactly like a kitchen appliance. If I was routinely layin' the sous vizzle down on larger quantities of food I'd probably prefer an IC with a fuckoff big reservoir.

As far as vacuum sealers go---I've got the cheapest loving Rival piece of poo poo I could buy off amazon and I've been perfectly happy with it. If you want to do crazy poo poo that requires an actual vacuum (or an approximation of it) instead of just sucking the air out of your cooking baggies, you'll need a chamber vacuum sealer. For what most people do with a puddle machine at home, you don't really give a poo poo. Since any non-chamber vac sealer won't be pulling a real vacuum, I find myself actually preferring the comparatively weakass suction provided by the Rival I have---it makes sealing wet poo poo (like eggs) much easier.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I don't know if there's a GWS consensus on all-clad, but there's a pretty crazy scratch/dent outlet sale going on with them right now - I just ordered a 10" copper core fry pan for $100.
http://www.shop.allcladvipfactorysale.com/main.sc

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I like turtles posted:

I don't know if there's a GWS consensus on all-clad, but there's a pretty crazy scratch/dent outlet sale going on with them right now - I just ordered a 10" copper core fry pan for $100.
http://www.shop.allcladvipfactorysale.com/main.sc
All-Clad is great cookware and there's nothing bad to say about it apart from the price or maybe the handles if you happen to not like them. The copper core stuff is purely cosmetic, but it is dead sexy.

I can't imagine ordering a 10" fry pan when there's a 12" on sale though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have a lodge cast iron 12" skillet that I love dearly, but the handle feels short. It's off balance and makes handling it somewhat awkward - or just NOT second nature. Is there anything I can do besides canceling my meetings for a month and living on xhamster?

I guess I'm hoping for a way to extend the handle so I can make my sick nasty omelet/pancake flips. If not I won't die or anything, but if only Lodge made their handles JUST a little longer.

Why, Lodge, whyyyyyy?
:negative:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cast iron isn't really meant for flipping. Just put it on heat and leave it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oooo Thermoworks just released a son of thermapen for $30. Super Fast Mini

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

Oooo Thermoworks just released a son of thermapen for $30. Super Fast Mini

The Taylor equivalent is better and cheaper. A 2in probe won't even make it into the center of quite a few things.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cast iron isn't really meant for flipping. Just put it on heat and leave it.

Or, maybe he's just really strong. I can't imagine trying to flip anything w/cast iron...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The Taylor equivalent is better and cheaper. A 2in probe won't even make it into the center of quite a few things.

It's 2.9 inches? Don't tell me you're a size queen ;-*

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 22, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have one of these, too. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

It's cheaper than and just as fast as the mini, and has a longer probe.

My thermapen is twice as fast though and splashproof.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have one of these, too. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

That's the one I have, too. It's really quite good.

...ladies. :pervert::smug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GrAviTy84 posted:

The rt is immersion proof.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm looking for a rugged liquid measuring cup. The last two I had were Arrow Plastic (microwaveable), but they started to accumulate cracks after six or so months. (I could never catch it in the act, I'd just look one day and it's suddenly got ten cracks and leaks slowly). I'm not too keen on glass; I accidentally exploded the last one in my microwave.

Is there a secret to a quality plastic measuring cup that can handle microwaving? Or should I just HTFU and go back to glass?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FaradayCage posted:

I'm looking for a rugged liquid measuring cup. The last two I had were Arrow Plastic (microwaveable), but they started to accumulate cracks after six or so months. (I could never catch it in the act, I'd just look one day and it's suddenly got ten cracks and leaks slowly). I'm not too keen on glass; I accidentally exploded the last one in my microwave.

Is there a secret to a quality plastic measuring cup that can handle microwaving? Or should I just HTFU and go back to glass?

Do they need to be microwaveable? Would you be adverse to getting a good measuring cup and just pouring the measured liquid into a mug to microwave that?

As far as exploding glass in the microwave...wow.

I use this plastic (it's pretty heavy duty) Emsa Perfect Beaker or what my mom uses, these OXO Angled Cups.

I wouldn't microwave those, though, even though they both can hold pretty hot liquids, like boiling water. I prefer my plastic things over glass, personally.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Re: thermometers. Both of those non-Thermapen Thermoworks aren't good for candy. The Taylor's max read is 450F. Sure, it's cheaper quality, but I would never take my Thermapen to work. I've gone through two Taylor digitals in 5 years at 15bux/ea. I'd probably just never buy another Thermapen if my current one were to get broken/lost.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Man this is an all-clad kinda weekend for me I guess. Stopped in at TJ Maxx and they had a clearance all-clad 12" stainless pan for $40. So, yeah, jumped on that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does noone else find the all-clad handles an absolute abomination? even just lifting a copper core pan in a store was sort of painful and left huge indents in my hand - I can't imagine actually cooking with one.

which sucks because they seem like awesome pans otherwise.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

does noone else find the all-clad handles an absolute abomination? even just lifting a copper core pan in a store was sort of painful and left huge indents in my hand - I can't imagine actually cooking with one.

I used to think that until I got them and used them on a regular basis. They're not the most comfortable, but they are very stable to hold near the end. Thumb goes in the divot. Half moon shape is secure in hand. I dig.

Copper core is a lot lot heavier than standard 3 ply though. It might be worse to hold when the pan is heavier.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

Grab all of your pans with a towel out of instinct?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know, I did sort of assume the thumb was meant to go in the divot - but when I'm lifting something heavy (like let's say a whole chicken on a rack over a pan), I never grip the thumb-and-forefinger style, I just grab the motherfucker. and it feels bad.

and sure grabbing with a towel would probably work fine and nullify my complaints, but why would someone build a pan with a handle like that to begin with? :( it just seems incomprehensible to me because the handle style looks like someone put some thought into it and designed it to be ergonomic/comfortable or something, and it just strikes me as my own personal pan-handle-hell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cuisinart multiclad is great - not copper core, but eh, whatever. My parents' house had All-Clad and I don't miss it at all. I do, however, miss the gas range terribly.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Cuisinart multiclad is great - not copper core, but eh, whatever. My parents' house had All-Clad and I don't miss it at all. I do, however, miss the gas range terribly.

Stainless clad pans are very sensitive/responsive to heat sources. That is the whole point of using them. That you miss the gas range and not the cookware could be attributed to just having a lovely range now.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

No Wave posted:

I have a mix of Cuisinart multiclad and All-Clad and I don't notice much of a difference in cooking. The Cuisinart is much easier to clean for some reason.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

That you miss the gas range and not the cookware could be attributed to just having a lovely range now.

I think that's exactly what he meant. Pan's a pan. But gas is superior.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

Thanks!

You might have luck setting up an auto search rss feed from Craigslist and see what comes up. I saw a few polyscience Sous-Vide machines for less than MSRP before I picked one up that was new in box for $420.

The sous vide demi isn't really that much less money but significantly less capable than an IC.

As for a foodsaver just get a cheap model without the auto seal detection feature.

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

nwin posted:

Thanks!

I bought the ICA Kitchen SideKIC immersion circulator from Fat Laundry here. Now, to be completely honest, I had to get mine replaced 3 times before I got one that lasted more than two weeks (the ICA Kitchen guys have really great customer service). But the one I have now I've been using several times a week for over 6 months now. I just bought a rubbermaid container at Target to hold the water and hang the IC off the side.

The SideKIC isn't very powerful (hence why it's so cheap), but it's inexpensive. A new competitor to the IC scene is the Nomiku (was kickstarted last year). They're finally shipping next month, and from what I see they're solidly built and pretty powerful. I've had mine preordered for quite a while now. I think the standalone immersion circulators are a lot more versatile than things like the Sous Vide Supreme.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looking for two recommendations.
1. I have really lovely nonstick cookware right now. A small frying pan, large frying pan, and a few pots. I want something I can make risottos, sauces, pastas, etc in. I'll mostly be cooking for just myself, but may occasionally have people over for dinner (no more than 4-5 total)
I'm looking at these guys here:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-saucier-pan-2-qt-with-whisk?ID=571006
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-covered-deep-saucier-25-qt-stainless-steel?ID=583763&CategoryID=7552&kws=583763

2. I am deciding between getting a food processor or a stick blender or both. Again, it's only me, so I don't need something huge or anything. After doing some research, I came across this guy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bamix-Deluxe-Hand-Processor-Silver/dp/B001G5ZHWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372072738&sr=8-1&keywords=bamix

Would I ever come across something that this wouldn't be able to handle? I want to keep my budget for the mixer at or around £100 (all of my electrics have to be from the UK.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
2-2.5 qt pots will be pretty small, even for cooking just for yourself. I would look at something in the 3-4 qt range. I have a 4 qt straight sided sauce pan I use for small quantities of pasta all the time and it works great.

Stick blenders are nice for blending stuff in a pot, but really don't replace a countertop blender or food processor. You can't crush ice and make smoothies with one for example. What are you planning to use it for?

• Locked thread