Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mach420 posted:

It was dry and tough because it didn't quite reach the correct temperature. Let it hit 190-200F.

Jonathan, the ribs were wrapped in what? You might not need to wrap it.

Sorry, they were wrapped in tinfoil while in the oven. 225f for 3.5 hours. I then took them out of the tinfoil and Cooked them over the lump charcoal at 225 for another 45 minutes to get the bark on them. Its just a charcoal grill put I put mesquite chips in a tinfoil pouch which made tons of blue smoke. Enough smoke that I came outside and panicked thinking there was a flare up fire inside.

These were easily the best ribs I have ever had. Bark was perfect, texture was perfect. Being side ribs they were kinda greasy. I smell like ribs and smoke and garlic potato.

Next time they will be cooked 100% in the smoker. I feel there is a bit of room for improvement.

I still haven't purchased the smoker yet. I'm torn between the masterbuilt 30 or the Cuisinart 30, which has a window in the front, but reviews say the seal isn't good and the rivets holding the latch come loose. Its $75 cheaper than the masterbuilt and has a window. For the difference in price I could redrill and use better rivets and address the seal if it becomes an issue.

Thoughts ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Don't make any decisions because of a window. It is mostly useless even when it's clean, and you'll get tired of cleaning it pretty quickly.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

GigaFool posted:

Don't make any decisions because of a window. It is mostly useless even when it's clean, and you'll get tired of cleaning it pretty quickly.

You can't tell if meat is done by looking at it, so there's not really any reason to have a window. Just stick a picture of meat on the fridge and look at it when you grab another beer.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Don't worry about the window. After the first 30 minutes of the first smoke, you'll realize that you're attempting to look into a smoke filled chamber that's badly lit, so you can't see poo poo. Then the window gets dirty.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GigaFool posted:

Quoted for accuracy.

My MES 30" has the window.

Currently I think the metal sides are more see-through. I washed it the first few times, and now? Fuckit.

I do need to contact Masterbuilt about a new seal though, the top edge of the hinge-side of my door has a wicked gap. Still holds temp, but it pours delicious smoke out :)

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Siochain posted:

I do need to contact Masterbuilt about a new seal though, the top edge of the hinge-side of my door has a wicked gap. Still holds temp, but it pours delicious smoke out :)

Cram a sausage link into the gap. Now instead of wasted smoke you have delicious smoked sausage.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
What's goin on in this smoker thread.

Picked up 20 lbs of belly and got 'em in the cure yesterday. Doing a shoulder next weekend. Not sure if I want to do gas or charcoal. Gas seems a lot easier.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 17, 2013

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Fathers Day Dinner:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Holy poo poo those are brontosaurus ribs.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Beef back ribs with dry rub only.. turned out awesome.

The pork ribs look tiny in comparison.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Thrasher posted:

Beef back ribs with dry rub only.. turned out awesome.

The pork ribs look tiny in comparison.

Beef ribs are the manliest thing you can smoke. I think they are a lot harder to make tender than pork ribs are.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

dalstrs posted:

Beef ribs are the manliest thing you can smoke. I think they are a lot harder to make tender than pork ribs are.

I thought making your own bacon was the manliest thing you can do with a smoker?!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Astronaut Jones posted:

I thought making your own bacon was the manliest thing you can do with a smoker?!

http://www.tabarnak.st/ribs.jpg

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

My next challenge is to smoke beef ribs and this at the exact same time.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

This is a beautiful sight.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Flaggy posted:

This is a beautiful sight.

It's not mine sadly, but I have been reading up on makin' bacon. I just need to find a decent butcher in the area that can sell me a slab of pork belly at non crazy prices. I've seen it periodically at Whole Foods and Wegmans but the price per lb is obscene.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Those beef ribs look amazing. Any tips on making them, or do you just do them like pork ribs?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Astronaut Jones posted:

It's not mine sadly, but I have been reading up on makin' bacon. I just need to find a decent butcher in the area that can sell me a slab of pork belly at non crazy prices. I've seen it periodically at Whole Foods and Wegmans but the price per lb is obscene.

Feed prices are up and pork belly is kind of popular right now. My farmer used to charge me $3.25/lb, now charges $4.75. :mad:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Astronaut Jones posted:

How much was it at Whole Foods?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Back Ribs, are they better than side ribs ?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
No, short ribs are popular too.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

cornface posted:

Those beef ribs look amazing. Any tips on making them, or do you just do them like pork ribs?

Meat selection is real important. There's some expensive cut that sits right above the ribs (NY strip maybe?) so butchers usually cut all the way to the bone. Sometime's there's simply not much meat left at all. You have to really look through and pick out the meatiest ones.

They take a little longer than pork spare ribs and need a constant temp. And the rub is much different obviously, less sweet and more savory/spicy to compliment the beef.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

cornface posted:

I definitely do the beef ribs different than pork (at least how I do pork ribs that is)..

I get my beef ribs from a butcher shop in a 7 bone slab.. these are "back" ribs cut closer to the loin section, vs the roast.

I will trim the fat, add a bit of worcestershire sauce all over and apply a dry rub, mainly of salt, pepper, coriander seed, paprika, (tiny bit of) brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.. medium grind. I'll then smoke the ribs at 250 deg for 6-7 hours..

I used to foil the ribs for 2 hours in a crutch via 2-2-1 method but lately have just stuck with just a longer time in the cooker.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Flaggy posted:

How much was it at Whole Foods?

I want to say that an 8x10" piece was $20+? It couldn't have been more than 2-2.5lbs.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013
Gotta love a nice rack of ribs, personally prefer Chinese spice rub on them.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Thrasher posted:

I definitely do the beef ribs different than pork (at least how I do pork ribs that is)..

I get my beef ribs from a butcher shop in a 7 bone slab.. these are "back" ribs cut closer to the loin section, vs the roast.

I will trim the fat, add a bit of worcestershire sauce all over and apply a dry rub, mainly of salt, pepper, coriander seed, paprika, (tiny bit of) brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.. medium grind. I'll then smoke the ribs at 250 deg for 6-7 hours..

I used to foil the ribs for 2 hours in a crutch via 2-2-1 method but lately have just stuck with just a longer time in the cooker.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to hunt some down after I exhaust my backlog of pork.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
Did my first real smoking today. Barrel grill instead of a dedicated smoker and I more or less winged it so I really had to baby the process.

I bought two Boston butts because my local grocery stores don't stock whole pork shoulders and I didn't have the free time to dedicate that much time to smoking. Total of 7.5lbs of meat. Rubbed last night with a spice mix that I threw together months ago for country-style ribs and still had a bunch left over. Smoked at about 225F for 3 hours, misting the meat with apple cider vinegar every 30min or so - mostly because I had to keep opening it up to adjust temps anyway. Used a mix of apple and pecan chunks after starting things with lump charcoal (which I quickly had to scale back since even the small amount I used burned hotter than I wanted).

After that, in the oven @ 225-250F for another 4 hours. Since I was winging it, I did not have a thermometer (something I will rectify for future endeavors). In any case, it was not done to 190F yet so back in the oven it went for an hour and a half @ 300-325F to hurry it up (guests were imminent). Finished right on time and was pullable but not perfect - still some un-rendered fat and tough-ish spots. Rave reviews for flavors, though, especially since I make a killer Carolina-style sauce that everybody loves.

I guess you could call this a half-smoke? I dunno, I didn't want to go full bore given all my limitations (no thermo, hurried prep, not a full shoulder, grill instead of a smoker, etc), especially not for my first time. I've done pulled pork before many a time but this is obviously different. I dunno, the bark was dark and delicious as gently caress and the house smelled like the best bacon ever while it was finishing in the oven so I'm pretty sure it counts.

Regardless, even if I had to tromp up and down stairs 30 times to check on things repeatedly and even if it was 90 degrees out in the direct sunlight where my grill sits it was still super relaxing and enjoyable. Great way to spend a day off. Plus now I have a container in the fridge crammed full of leftover meat, plus all the leftovers from stuff folks brought over to enjoy with it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Sounds like it wasn't totally finished cooking. No matter though, if you thought it was good and the guests enjoyed it, what else matters?

Now, what's this killer Carolina-style sauce you make? :D

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

VERTiG0 posted:

Now, what's this killer Carolina-style sauce you make? :D

Seconded. I make a mean Carolina mustard sauce, myself. Always a hit.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Any reviews for or against the iGrill? I have an old dual probe maverick that is giving me grief, and I'm looking to try another brand. Being able to check temps on a phone that I'm carrying anyway is appealing.

I'm a BGE owner as of this past father's day, but I've just been grilling on it due to not wanting to pay $100+ for the plate setter at the store. Ordered it online, once it gets here I'll start posting my results!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

I'm from North Carolina, and my family's all from Lexington. Here's my grandmother's BBQ sauce recipe and her BBQ slaw recipe for lagniappe.

Sauce:
4 cups (946mL) white vinegar
2/3 cups (142mL) sugar
1 1/2cups (355mL) Heinz ketchup (any ketchup is fine, Heinz is best)
Juice, pulp and rinds of one lemon
1/2 stick of butter
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper and Texas Pete to taste

Mix all the ingredients and simmer 2-3 hours until desired thickness.
Keeps forever so if you want to double the recipe go for it.

Slaw:
1 head of cabbage, grated
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup (118mL) sugar
Texas Pete to taste

Add those to a mixing bowl and mash them together with your hands.

To this add:
1/4 cup (60mL) white vinegar

Mix again

Then add:
1/2 cup (118mL) Heinz ketchup

Mix again and you're done, add any of the ingredients you feel might be lacking to taste.

Will keep almost indefinitely in the refridgerator, but it's best fresh.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

So I have a pair of 5 pound bone-in pork shoulders to smoke for pulled pork.
I'm thinking 8 hours at 225 should be enough, but am I shorting my time?
It'll be in an MES, and I'd rather not foil (but will if needed).
Just hoping to get another opinion before I end up not making awesome pulled pork :P

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Siochain posted:

So I have a pair of 5 pound bone-in pork shoulders to smoke for pulled pork.
I'm thinking 8 hours at 225 should be enough, but am I shorting my time?
It'll be in an MES, and I'd rather not foil (but will if needed).
Just hoping to get another opinion before I end up not making awesome pulled pork :P

That will probably be okay, but if you're going to have people waiting on you to eat at a certain time, you might be better off leaving yourself ten hours and sticking them in a towel/newspaper stuffed cooler to stay warm if they finish early.

That'll give you slop time in case they take longer for some reason, as well as leaving time to let them rest and to pull.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Well, we head out to the wife's company BBQ at 4:00'ish. I was thinking of sticking them in the smoker by 6:00 am at the latest, so 8 hours would be 2:00. Then 30-45 in foil to rest, then shred and stuff in a cooler wrapped in a blanket to keep warm.

I just don't see needing to stick them in the night before, they'd be done waaaaay too early. Maybe I'll get up an hour earlier and get them in for 5:00 am or so. Give me an extra hour of swing. I guess I can always crutch them at noon or so if need be.

Ah well, lets see how it goes!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ixo posted:

Any reviews for or against the iGrill? I have an old dual probe maverick that is giving me grief, and I'm looking to try another brand. Being able to check temps on a phone that I'm carrying anyway is appealing.

I'm a BGE owner as of this past father's day, but I've just been grilling on it due to not wanting to pay $100+ for the plate setter at the store. Ordered it online, once it gets here I'll start posting my results!

Check out the ceramic grill store online. Maybe their spider product is what you're looking for?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Siochain posted:

Well, we head out to the wife's company BBQ at 4:00'ish. I was thinking of sticking them in the smoker by 6:00 am at the latest, so 8 hours would be 2:00. Then 30-45 in foil to rest, then shred and stuff in a cooler wrapped in a blanket to keep warm.

I just don't see needing to stick them in the night before, they'd be done waaaaay too early. Maybe I'll get up an hour earlier and get them in for 5:00 am or so. Give me an extra hour of swing. I guess I can always crutch them at noon or so if need be.

Ah well, lets see how it goes!

Sounds like you've got it under control, should be fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Going to try to do ribs for the first time tomorrow using the recipe from Virtual Bullet.

I much prefer dry ribs but am going to do traditional ones this time to get a feel for doing them slow. The price difference between ribs and a huge pork butt is kinda alarming. I understand demand and all but I do feel slightly ripped off paying for 80% bone.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

Check out the ceramic grill store online. Maybe their spider product is what you're looking for?

I have used the spider with their smaller stone in place of my plate setter quite a few times, works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

cornface posted:

Sounds like you've got it under control, should be fine.

Thanks.
Was just looking to see if anybody responded with "holy poo poo dude, no, not enough time, overnight those piggies!"
And I'm glad nobody did. They look so tasty all dry-rubbed in the fridge already. Can't wait to get them going. mmmmmmmm