Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing something about Savage being in a match with DDP where he was supposed to go over, but Savage called an audible, had Page beat him and went "I'll deal with the yelling".

I want to say that "I'll deal with the yelling" was what Scott Hall told Jericho when he called an audible and had Jericho beat him on Nitro, but I'm not certain.

Page does tell a very similar story about Savage though. Arn was the road agent and came up to them backstage and asked what they wanted to do in their match and Savage said something like "tonight, I'd like to take the Diamond Cutter" and Page almost shat his pants.

:smith: I didn't cry when I heard Savage died, but Page telling Savage stories did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's funny: A lot of the stories about how Savage dealt with people outside the ring don't reflect well on him (to put it lightly). But when you hear wrestlers talk about him, almost to a man they have nothing but nice things to say about his ability to do business and help people. I remember Bret was telling a story about how Ric Flair had become ill on a european tour so they did Hart defending against Savage. One night, Bret stiffs him accidentally and gives savage a broken nose and a black eye. Bret goes to apologize backstage afterwards, and Savage goes "S'okay! It's good for buisness, yeah!".

I may have added the yeah, but you get the idea.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

triplexpac posted:

Being Bischoff's neighbour couldn't have hurt one bit.

Also wife swapping with Bischoff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Also wife swapping with Bischoff.
With this having happened, I'm amazed anybody ever brings up the neighbor thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's funny: A lot of the stories about how Savage dealt with people outside the ring don't reflect well on him (to put it lightly). But when you hear wrestlers talk about him, almost to a man they have nothing but nice things to say about his ability to do business and help people. I remember Bret was telling a story about how Ric Flair had become ill on a european tour so they did Hart defending against Savage. One night, Bret stiffs him accidentally and gives savage a broken nose and a black eye. Bret goes to apologize backstage afterwards, and Savage goes "S'okay! It's good for buisness, yeah!".

I may have added the yeah, but you get the idea.
Was it a Bruiser Brody thing, where he was good to other wrestlers but had a kill-or-be-killed attitude towards management? That's setting aside stories about crazy things he did in Waffle Houses.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well, when I say that he did things that were not so cool, I'm referring to his issues with abusing Liz, as well as the story about him getting in a fist-fight at a diner (not sure if it's the same story as the Waffle House, but the basics are Savage was eating breakfast with another wrestler, somebody came in and yelled "We just got married!" and Savage replied "Who gives a poo poo!?" and things escalated from there). I don't have much knowledge of how Randy related to management in WWE and WCW, and personally I don't buy the Stephanie thing.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Savage was a mixed bag all around; when it came to the business he had his heart firmly in the right place and believed that if something was good for business he would happily do it, but he was unhinged at best when it came to his personal life.

Then he went to WCW and stopped caring and too much of his personal life leaked into his ring work and...yeah.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have the link to Savage speaking at his dad's retirement community in Sarasota about 10 years ago? I saw the video once and it was heartwarming.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

sticklefifer posted:

I'm trying to think of some wrestlers who have gotten a remix of their current theme song when they've turned heel or face.

I remember Victoria's got slowed down when she turned heel, and Del Rio's obviously got the new mix without the horn intro when he turned face, but it seems like they're keeping it now that he's heel again. The Rock's had it happen probably a dozen times too, since he's had about 80 remixes. Any others?

They did it to Kurt Angle during his brief run in WWE's ECW. They remixed the theme to take away the dah-DAH horns to try to stop the "YOU SUCK" chants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIY53y12Pc

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Am i crazy or did Bryan use offspring "self esteem" mixed into Darth Vader theme as a entrance music when he was on ROH? All i can find is Final Countdown :/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Austin's "Psycho" theme when he was heel in the Alliance was my favourite theme of his. Fit his persona at the time to a T.

This is a bit of an obscure example, but Triple H actually had a remixed theme in late 2000.

He was a babyface for a while, having told Stephanie not to manage him at ringside anymore, feuding with Kurt, palling around with Foley and such. He used My Time still throughout this era. But then he revealed himself to be the mastermind behind Austin being ran over, turning heel again. Once he did that, they gave him an instrumental version of My Time. It's also very similar to his theme by Motorhead.

Ignore the stupid intro on this Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zw_2CloPPI

Isn't this just the theme he had after leaving DX at Wrestlemania XV but before it turned into "My Time" during 1999? He may have gone back to it, but I'm almost sure "My Time" started out as this instrumental before lyrics were added.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

TheCool69 posted:

Am i crazy or did Bryan use offspring "self esteem" mixed into Darth Vader theme as a entrance music when he was on ROH? All i can find is Final Countdown :/

When he first started out it was just Self Esteem, as far as I can remember.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't this just the theme he had after leaving DX at Wrestlemania XV but before it turned into "My Time" during 1999? He may have gone back to it, but I'm almost sure "My Time" started out as this instrumental before lyrics were added.

I think you're borh right. He had an instrumental version before My Time, but I'm pretty sure he also briefly used a similar or perhaps even identical theme after his Short lived face run as well.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

TheCool69 posted:

He did. I have no idea how long he has it for though.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

And he didn't get pinned, but [Steve Austin] tapped clean to Kurt Angle at Unforgiven(?)

Undertaker tapped to Kurt Angle as well. AFAIK it's the only tap in Undertaker's whole career. The match ended in a draw because Kurt's shoulders were down at the same time.

Kurt Angle also has one of the few clean victories over Undertaker, from a match in 2006.

If you've never seen it, you need to watch it. It's one of the best matches I have ever seen, and I don't say that lightly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfT5SOlnc0

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 20, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

TheCool69 posted:

I know for certain he used what you're talking about during the first half of 2005, up until he lost his match against Aries and went on sabbatical from ROH for like three or four months. When he came back against Gibson, I'm pretty sure he was using Final Countdown already. Before 2005, I'd have to check. I seem to recall him using it during his series with Homicide, but I'm not sure.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
It was also during that phase that he started wearing that cape, wasn't it?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You might be thinking of this horrible theme, which he did indeed use after leaving DX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8VWACacjk

Anyway I know the theme I used was in his 2000 heel turn, because I'm watching those old shows and he just came out to it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

You might be thinking of this horrible theme, which he did indeed use after leaving DX:

Anyway I know the theme I used was in his 2000 heel turn, because I'm watching those old shows and he just came out to it.

There was an instrumental version used before the regular "My Time" early in his 1999 heel run as well, according to wiki it was called "Higher Brain Pattern" and used from May 16th to June 21st. I haven't seen the 2000 shows since they originally aired, did he just go back to this one after his 2000 heel turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pT2M0BoHmY

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Sounds like Cactus Jack as heard through a pillow.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Andre ever face Flair or Race, or any other champion in a title match other than Hogan?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Andre ever face Flair or Race, or any other champion in a title match other than Hogan?

Not only did Harley face him, he slammed Andre...or so he claims http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/21003-harley-race-talks-slamming-andre-before-hogan-king-of-ring-vs-nwa-title

Also, here's pictures from Japan of Andre and Flair wrestling http://tinyurl.com/qd4opy3

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I believe Andre has faced both Flair and Race, and many other title-holders during his career. I don't think he ever won many of those bouts, though. Which is understandable, as his primary role was that of a traveling draw that could bring additional money into a region over the short term, instead of being a "hometown" guy that had a steady local fanbase. Back in those days promoters generally didn't put the title on a guy who wasn't going to be there a month or two later. I don't think Andre tended to stay in one place for very long, at least not until Vince finally signed him shortly after taking over the WWF from his dad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The main exception being Montreal, which is where he learned to work. He used to draw big money there as Jean Ferre, but eventually they used him too frequently and it killed box office in Montreal for a while.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince called it Wrestlemania in direct relationship to having Hulkamania right? Like "Hulkamania is the biggest thing so the biggest show must be called Wrestlemania."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Howard Finkel named it in reference to Hulkamania and Beatlemania.

BigDanRTW
Aug 24, 2003
I bought a three pack of t-shirts on ebay with the catch being you wouldn't know what you were getting. I'm pretty happy with what I got, but I'm not sure who this is supposed to be. Vince?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Yup, I'd say that's Vince.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

TL posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but has anyone else tried DDP Yoga? Just got done with my first workout and I'm looking to see if anyone else has has some luck with it. I'm looking to drop some weight, and I'd heard some good things about it, and seeing what DDP has been able to do for Jake Roberts pushed me over the top on it.

Lil late on this one but I have been doing it for the past 2 months. While I don't need to lose any weight I noticed a marked increase in my flexibility. My stint as an Indy wrassler left me with bad hips and caused me to limp around and generally walk like an old man. As of today I have no recurring pain like I used to and I walk upright like a regular person.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Beer_Suitcase posted:

My stint as an Indy wrassler

Now that I know this, I can't picture anything but your avatar in the ring.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

sticklefifer posted:

Now that I know this, I can't picture anything but your avatar in the ring.

Stone Cold's ideal partner.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Thauros posted:

There was an instrumental version used before the regular "My Time" early in his 1999 heel run as well, according to wiki it was called "Higher Brain Pattern" and used from May 16th to June 21st. I haven't seen the 2000 shows since they originally aired, did he just go back to this one after his 2000 heel turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pT2M0BoHmY

This is from the awkward HHH era when he didn't know what he wanted his image to be. One week he would be in a sport jacket, the next a leather jacket. He would try to be a cool dude but still rock the weird pompous pony tails.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
In the 80s, why did WWF make Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race change their gimmicks?

Also, did Terry Funk choose the Chainsaw Charlie gimmick or was it forced on him? This is a guy who had been wrestling for 40 years at that point so it's not like there was any good reason to force a change.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bigass Moth posted:

In the 80s, why did WWF make Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race change their gimmicks?

Also, did Terry Funk choose the Chainsaw Charlie gimmick or was it forced on him? This is a guy who had been wrestling for 40 years at that point so it's not like there was any good reason to force a change.

Dusty had it thrust upon him, because Vince is incredibly petty, and wanted to make a fool out of one of the few remaining big territorial draws. Dunno about Harley though.

I'm fairly sure Funk did suggest the Chainsaw Charlie gimmick.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I forget the details, but I seem to remember reading that Race had experienced some financial misfortune (I think he was trying to run a fed at the time, and it went belly-up, or something like that) and so had to sign with the WWF as he was in desperate need of money.

Also, for what it's worth, they really didn't mess with Race too badly as I recall. The "King Harley" gimmick wasn't all that bad as far as 1980s WWF gimmicks went. I also remember experiencing a definite :stare: moment when he debuted. I'd been watching WCCW earlier that day, and they had just aired a "WCCW classics" match of Harley vs. (I think) Kevin Von Erich. Then later that night, I turned on the TV to watch the syndicated WWF show where Harley made his debut.

As far as Dusty goes, it's true that apparently Vince decided to gently caress with him by putting him with Sapphire and the polka dots and all that stuff. To which Dusty's response was to initially feel depressed, then turn around and go "I'm gonna get this over!" Which he did, and very successfully, too. Again, though, it wasn't like he had to change his gimmick too radically. He just did the usual Dusty stuff but with a little bit more goofiness to it. :v:

Dusty's also said that when he first arrived in the Vince Jr.-run WWF, Vince welcomed him warmly, told him to relax and have fun, because (unlike his recent tenure in JCP-era NWA), he wasn't in charge of anyone but himself any more, so he didn't have to worry about booking or politics or any of that stuff. And Dusty's basically said that after some initial misgivings, he proceeded to do just that and ended up having a lot of fun during his WWF run.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder, if WWE got a guy like Dusty today, would they just completely job him out? Nowadays embarrassing a guy isn't so much "dress him up silly but still push him", it's "give him a horrible gimmick and then make him lose for 12 months"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He'd come out of the curtain and Cole would start giggling to himself about the fat guy whose idea was this what a goof.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

triplexpac posted:

I wonder, if WWE got a guy like Dusty today, would they just completely job him out? Nowadays embarrassing a guy isn't so much "dress him up silly but still push him", it's "give him a horrible gimmick and then make him lose for 12 months"

Isn't that what they did with Ken Shamrock? Make him look like a total pussy with the "internal bleeding" and job him out to the main eventers and never commit to a push.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

triplexpac posted:

The answer is probably "it all depends". The WWE of now and the WWF of back then are completely different entities. Back then Vince was still expanding the WWF's reach, and for the most part he was happy to use whoever he thought might draw fans to his product. Booking Dusty in polka dots was, in retrospect, not all that bad of a gimmick as Dusty still drew fans to shows.

Nowadays, WWE is synonymous with "pro wrestling" and they have zero actual competition. We've all seen several guys that at one point or another were viewed as can't-miss big money stars get signed, pushed, de-pushed, and eventually quit/get dropped. It's not just Vince and guys like Pat Patterson (back then, I mean, not now) calling the shots, it's Vince and also Stephanie and HHH and various others. It's a completely different situation these days.

DeathChicken posted:

He'd come out of the curtain and Cole would start giggling to himself about the fat guy whose idea was this what a goof.

Lawler would make fun of his lisp and JBL would gamely try to take the contrary opinion for a moment before giving up and just making GBS threads on the guy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Actually, one of Ken Shamrock's favorite snacks was corn syrup filled condoms.