Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Coonskin_Cap posted:

That, and the whole 'airport baggage handlers rifling through your stuff and straight up taking what they want' thing.

You can get some security for your baggage by bringing a gun. (Really.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-YYWDYXJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

I understand that this does happen, but how in all holy hell is this still happening?? Do police have no jurisdiction in airports? Do airlines/airports not have any liability in regards to travelers' luggage??

Why do employees steal from any workplace? It's no different really.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I understand that this does happen, but how in all holy hell is this still happening?? Do police have no jurisdiction in airports? Do airlines/airports not have any liability in regards to travelers' luggage??
The answer to this is basically "no."

Welcome to America!

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Are the Harlem Globetrotters worth $26/person to watch?

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Lyz posted:

Click the Hide option on the upper right of their post. After it's hid there should be a "Change what updates you see from So-and-so" option that you can use and Unsubscribe from them.

My feed is now significantly less retarded. Thanks!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GreenCard78 posted:

Are the Harlem Globetrotters worth $26/person to watch?

Do you have a kid that likes basketball and stunts and stuff like that? If so then yes. If not then, well, it depends on if you want to watch a bunch of basketball stunts and skits that were designed to appeal to kids.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
How much does a ticket for regular American sports (NFL, NBA, Baseball, NHL) cost? Like, the league averages for a standard, average seat.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hoops posted:

How much does a ticket for regular American sports (NFL, NBA, Baseball, NHL) cost? Like, the league averages for a standard, average seat.
It varies greatly from league to league and team to team. I got given a pair of Seahawks (NFL) tickets by a vendor a couple of years ago, and they usually cost $68 plus processing fee (so probably $75 apiece, all told). And those were nosebleed seats.

I got similar seats to an MLS game in the same stadium in a three-pack for $45, no processing fee (i.e. $15 a game). Just checked on Mariners (Baseball) tickets, and they're running $8 apiece for college students.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hoops posted:

NFL: Average ticket price $78.38
MLB: Median ticket price for all games $39.96
NHL: Average ticket price $61.01
NBA: Average (weighted) ticket price for a non-premium seat $50.99

Of course, ticket prices can range greatly across sports and teams. Fore example, there was a story about a Philadelphia 76ers fan purchasing 18 tickets for under $1 on StubHub, a third party ticket selling website. For the NBA finals, tickets can be in the tens of thousands of dollars on these third party sites.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Hoops posted:

In 2008, when the Washington Capitals (NHL for non-Americans or whoever) were on the come up with Ovechkn, I grabbed a pair of tickets for seats behind the penalty box for $80. I also sat a few times within the first ~8 rows for $60 or less for a pair of tickets. Today, after the Capitals got good and lost the first round in the playoffs for a bunch of years, $60 might buy you a nose bleed seat.

FogHelmut posted:

MLB: Median ticket price for all games $39.96

One thing to note is the stadiums, teams, local culture, etc are all in constant flux. This means very little. You could also go on [whatever] night and get $6 tickets at the first row on the upper deck and try for as close in as possible and have a great time. You might $50 to be on the lower deck but because you didn't pay $80, you're further in and might have worse seats.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For any Boston team, double the price at least for even the shittiest of seats. :suicide:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What is a nosebleed seat? Why is it called that?

I'm going to America in mid-August with a Japanese family I've been teaching for years; the parents are interested in seeing a Yankees game.

Impossible to get tickets?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

tarepanda posted:

I'm going to America in mid-August with a Japanese family I've been teaching for years; the parents are interested in seeing a Yankees game.

They are seats that are so far away (and high up) from the field or stage or whatever that you could get a nosebleed from the thin air.

I have no idea how hard Yankees tickets are to get.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

A seat in the higher tiers of the stadium. Air tends to be cooler and drier at high altitudes, which can cause nosebleeds, thus the nomenclature (the change in altitude in a stadium is not actually enough to make a difference; it's just a figure of speech used to refer to crappier seats).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Why do people care so much about celebrities, ex. :supaburn: KIM AND KANYE ARE ABOUT TO NAME THEIR UNBORN DAUGHTER :supaburn:?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Manslaughter posted:

Why do people care so much about celebrities, ex. :supaburn: KIM AND KANYE ARE ABOUT TO NAME THEIR UNBORN DAUGHTER :supaburn:?

The cynic in me says it's probably because their lives are so void of events and meaning that they have to latch on to other people's, and TV celebrities are easiest.

The non-cynic is on vacation in the Carribean

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
People have always been interested in other people. It's just that mass media now allows us to gossip about people we have only the slightest possible connection to.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SwissCM posted:

If I ask someone to take care of a dog that I own for an extended period of time (say, over a month) and that dog does damage to property of the caretakers, who is responsible for the damages?

EDIT: Should probably mention I'm asking for a friend. The caretaker lives in Arizona if it makes any difference.

Legally, I believe that the person watching the dog (caretaker) is responsible for anything that dog does while under that person's care. If the dog damages a third party's property, say, eats a little girl's stuffed animal, the care taker should be responsible because it happened on his watch.

Morally, the dogs real owner should reimburse the caretaker for any damages incurred-within reason. If the caretaker does everything right and the dog destroys property, the owner should pay for damages. If the caretaker staked the dog to the middle of his floor and the dog destroyed things, now the owner has less incentive to handle any bills.

This doesn't apply to what a mess it would be if the dog bites someone. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

John Redcorn posted:

Really big convenient-store chain Quicktrip here has a somewhat new fresh vegetable toppings bar for nachos and hotdogs. This includes sliced raw, not pickled jalapenos.

They're nasty. Hard, crunchy and watery. Fibrous. I've never seen non-pickled jalapenos used for anything anywhere. Maybe back in the kitchen of a restaurant they have raw ones but they'll be cooked into something. Is this in any way normal or am I the weird one for not liking? (I really do like the poo poo out of pickled ones and will put them on most anything)

Raw Jalapenos are not uncommon in fresh salsa, chopped and put on top of any number of other applications, like salads, sandwiches, nachos, etc.

However, if your Quicktrip is anything like the Kwik Trip marts here (quick Google shows there is a difference), you are eating gas station food. And as such, you are subject to gas station levels of freshness and quality when it comes to produce.

I won't argue that they aren't harder or crunchier than pickled, but you probably aren't getting a quality pepper there. I prefer pickled myself, but raw have their place.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

tarepanda posted:

You can probably get tickets on https://www.stubhub.com or https://www.ticketmaster.com I've never been to Yankees Stadium, but there are likely scalpers. Scalpers are people who buy tickets and sell them outside the gates as a third party vendor. It's very informal and unless you are familiar with the stadium or don't give a gently caress about handing (potentially large amounts of) money to a stranger on the street, I wouldn't suggest it. Along with nosebleeds are the standing room only sections which really, gently caress that.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CzarChasm posted:

Raw Jalapenos are not uncommon in fresh salsa, chopped and put on top of any number of other applications, like salads, sandwiches, nachos, etc.

However, if your Quicktrip is anything like the Kwik Trip marts here (quick Google shows there is a difference), you are eating gas station food. And as such, you are subject to gas station levels of freshness and quality when it comes to produce.

I won't argue that they aren't harder or crunchier than pickled, but you probably aren't getting a quality pepper there. I prefer pickled myself, but raw have their place.

If QT's television/radio ads and website are trustworthy, these items are freshly delivered to each store daily. I know in the KC metro area they have a big "QT Kitchen" warehouse/bakery that serves the area. As far as gas station food goes, it is a couple of notches above the typical fare IMO. I haven't checked out the nachos though.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Nowadays are names given in the nation's language or in English? Who decides the translation if it's not straightforward?

Names are given in the nation's language with a translation if the recipient does not speak it fluently. They are given by an elder, at least where I'm from.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the knowledge. I was not sure about "tribe" because it does sound funny. What nation are you from? Can you tell me more about name changes? And why are you speaking in the past tense, is everybody named Jim or Bob now?

I'm from the Métis Nation of Ontario. The circumstances behind name changes depend greatly on a combination of the individual's personal circumstances and their nation's traditions, so that's not something I can really answer. Most people are given anglicized birth names today because it's easier. Most people don't want to deal with their kid being the only one in class with a name that's 16 letters long and hard to pronounce. A few people will still give their kids traditional names at birth (I know a professor named Myeengun (Wolf)), but that's becoming more rare, especially off the Rez.

e: I should be more clear, the name a person receives at birth is their legal name and does not change unless they legally change their name. The change I'm referring to is their "spirit name" (as it's usually referred to). In the old days people were known by whatever their spirit name was, nowadays they go by their legal name and usually only use their spirit name in ceremonial functions.

vvv hahaha oh god no vvv

Part of Everything fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 20, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Part of Everything posted:

I'm from the Métis Nation of Ontario.
I had never heard of the Métis nation and I'm mildly ashamed to admit that, for a second, I thought you wrote Metis.

Whew! (Also :metis: used to be a [terrible] smiley but it is gone, probably for the best.)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nm, wrong thread.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 20, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
In MMOs, why are the dungeons called 'instances' instead of, well.. dungeons?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Namarrgon posted:

The dungeon is the concept of the place. So, like, Scarlet Monastery would be the dungeon. But each raid has their own version of that dungeon, so when I lead my raid team in, it's our instance.

That has creeped into more general use, and started to be used to refer to the dungeons, as well.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is it true that the USA has the oldest continuous government in terms of unmodified, unrevised, unbroken chain of rule on the planet? Or anything even similar to this? Heard this in the freeper thread.

I thought denmark has had the same government for ages, unless being occupied by nazis counts. (but than what about the US government shutdown in the under clinton)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

In some games, when you enter a dungeon you share the space with whoever else decided to go in and kill things there. If 100 people go into the cave of the rear end incubus, there are 100 people in that one cave. Those dungeons are not instanced. In other games, when you enter a dungeon either by yourself or with groups, you get an area that is generated just for you. If 100 people go into the lair of the sea bitch, 100 individual lairs of the sea bitch exist just for those people. Those dungeons are instanced.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is it true that the USA has the oldest continuous government in terms of unmodified, unrevised, unbroken chain of rule on the planet? Or anything even similar to this? Heard this in the freeper thread.

I think the Vatican has got the US beat. Also Japanese emperors have been along for longer than the US was even a concept, although the level of importance of the Emperor has waxed and waned (much like the importance and influence of the US president actually).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It depends on how you define your terms, I think. Iceland has the world's oldest parliament, which has been in uninterrupted service since 930 AD.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I thought denmark has had the same government for ages, unless being occupied by nazis counts. (but than what about the US government shutdown in the under clinton)
It probably depends upon your definitions.

It's pretty broadly agreed upon that the oldest party in the world is the Democrats (i.e. the "Grand Ol' Party" is yet another Republican lie :cheeky:).

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

I think the Vatican has got the US beat. Also Japanese emperors have been along for longer than the US was even a concept, although the level of importance of the Emperor has waxed and waned (much like the importance and influence of the US president actually).

The Meiji Restoration was in 1868, and the Vatican lost its temporal powers in 1870, so those aren't the oldest.

stubblyhead posted:

Iceland has the world's oldest parliament, which has been in uninterrupted service since 930 AD.

The Republic of Iceland has only existed since 1944.

The UK has gone since 1688 since any major disruptions, so I think that they're the oldest.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Thanatosian posted:

It varies greatly from league to league and team to team. I got given a pair of Seahawks (NFL) tickets by a vendor a couple of years ago, and they usually cost $68 plus processing fee (so probably $75 apiece, all told). And those were nosebleed seats.

I got similar seats to an MLS game in the same stadium in a three-pack for $45, no processing fee (i.e. $15 a game). Just checked on Mariners (Baseball) tickets, and they're running $8 apiece for college students.

I don't know if other teams in other sports do the same, but a lot of Canadian NHL teams will charge higher prices when marquee teams come to town. That's to say that a ticket for a Vancouver/Pittsburgh or Vancouver/Chicago game will cost more than a Vancouver/Phoenix game because Sidney Crosby only plays in Vancouver once a year, Chicago and Vancouver have a big rivalry, and nobody cares about Phoenix.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Namarrgon posted:

The Vatican didn't become a state until 1929 (the Holy See isn't considered a state). There have also been times when Papal succession has been broken, and I think you'd have difficulty arguing that the government didn't change with the loss of the Papal States in 1870.

It would be really difficult to argue that the government of Japan didn't change during WWII, at the least with the American occupation government, to say nothing of the establishment of the parliamentary government in 1947.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

The Meiji Restoration was in 1868, and the Vatican lost its temporal powers in 1870, so those aren't the oldest.

The UK has gone since 1688 since any major disruptions, so I think that they're the oldest.

That's why it is important to have a better definition of 'continuous'. To me the loss of the temporal powers of the Vatican doesn't count. But given that it is taken from freepers I don't think it is a fruitful endeavor to give it more thought than they did.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brother Jonathan posted:

You could make well-founded arguments that the Representation of the People Act and Redistribution of Seats Act largely established a new government.

Of course, you could probably make a similar argument for the 17th Amendment.

Yeah, really, it comes down to pure semantics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
While browsing the forums my browser window occasionally gets hijacked and I'm dumped on a Western Union page ad. Is this an SA-approved ad, or has my browser been hacked?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
When people whose native language is not English and they speak English, it's often considered "sexy" sounding or attractive, e.g. people with French and Italian accents speaking English fluently or semi-fluently, or even not fluent at all.

Are there other languages where a person with a foreign accent attempting to speak that language is considered sexy? e.g. a person with a French accent speaking Mandarin or a person with an Irish accent speaking Russian, etc...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

While browsing the forums my browser window occasionally gets hijacked and I'm dumped on a Western Union page ad. Is this an SA-approved ad, or has my browser been hacked?

This kind of thing is not cool with the forums admins, though it does happen sometimes. There's a bad ads thread in QCS I think where you can report it. It is of course possible that you've got some malware on your computer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Dudebro posted:

When people whose native language is not English and they speak English, it's often considered "sexy" sounding or attractive, e.g. people with French and Italian accents speaking English fluently or semi-fluently, or even not fluent at all.

Are there other languages where a person with a foreign accent attempting to speak that language is considered sexy? e.g. a person with a French accent speaking Mandarin or a person with an Irish accent speaking Russian, etc...

I followed my foreign exchange student girlfriend to Slovakia after high school and supposedly the few bits of the language I picked up sounded sexy. I think it's more of a sticking out of the crowd thing.