Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
After reading about the 920-000914 Logitech Illuminated in this thread I lucked out and found one at my Office Depot after my trust Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 died. Must say I'm pretty impressed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For those of you with the G710+, are all the backlight problems are with them staying off in various places, or are they randomly not changing with the rest of the keyboard? I might be picking one up this week because they're on sale at FutureShop, and if I can turn the backlighting off, I think it might still be worthwhile for me.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
The 5 key on my Mathias Laptop Pro seems to be registering twice for each press. It looks like when the key is half-depressed, the switch engages. At full press, it disengages. Then on the way up, the switch triggers again. Is there something I can do to fix it or should i call Mathias?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Currently in the market for a new keyboard for work and leaning towards a semi-custom WASD board with cherry browns.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
Does anyone know what the pricing will be on the v2. Tempted to just get the v1 now as the changes don't seem to be too major.

Also, what is the difference between 104-key layout and ISO 105-key? Only thing I can tell is the size of the enter key.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a really nice keyboard but I don't have a clue what kind of switches I would like. I'm a little lost really. It'll mostly be used for gaming but I do some programming so typing is important too. I hate low-profile laptop keyboards and I'd prefer something that isn't doesn't make an awful clacking noise. Budget is effectively not an issue but I'm the UK so it has to be available here. Any pointers to get me started?

Meydey posted:

Also, what is the difference between 104-key layout and ISO 105-key? Only thing I can tell is the size of the enter key.
The 105-key version looks like a standard UK (and most other non-US countries) layout.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Go for anything with Cherry Brown switches. They're the best combination of tactility, without the overt clicking noise of a blue switch.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably some kind of cherry mx, anything but blue. People say reds and blacks are gaming switches, but logitech put browns in their mechanical gaming keyboard. My board (K60) has reds and I'm quite pleased with it, both for typing and gaming. Without much more specific information, it's hard to give you more than that.

edit: hey don't just say browns are the best, to each their own :mad:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You want Topre switches of course.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, I did some reading around and it sounds like Browns are probably right for me.

Does anyone make Cherry Brown keyboards that aren't horrible gaming things with a billion extra keys and pointless LCD panels? I don't mind a few LEDs under the keys but all of the Logitech ones are simply ghastly. I cannot imagine why anyone would need a screen attached to their keyboard, that's what monitors are for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tunga posted:

Does anyone make Cherry Brown keyboards that aren't horrible gaming things with a billion extra keys and pointless LCD panels? I don't mind a few LEDs under the keys but all of the Logitech ones are simply ghastly. I cannot imagine why anyone would need a screen attached to their keyboard, that's what monitors are for.
Rosewill (newegg house brand) or Cooler Master are the most recommended entry mechanical. Both are made by the same OEM, who also make boards for Filco and are high quality.

Cooler Master calls their line "gaming" keyboards but there's not a lot of extra geegaws on them. Illuminated WASD keys (which you can turn off), a kinda dopey font (they don't print Quick Fire on the spacebar anymore), and a function to disable the windows button.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

unpronounceable posted:

For those of you with the G710+, are all the backlight problems are with them staying off in various places, or are they randomly not changing with the rest of the keyboard? I might be picking one up this week because they're on sale at FutureShop, and if I can turn the backlighting off, I think it might still be worthwhile for me.

I've had a G710+ for a couple weeks now and have zero backlight issues, you can turn both backlight zones off completely if you want (they have 5? brightness settings, separately set for both "zones"). I did read about the problems though.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Tunga posted:

Right, I did some reading around and it sounds like Browns are probably right for me.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Best thing about WASD is the customization options. They will custom laser engrave keys, and do custom color layouts. Believe there bases are made by CoStar which is used by DAS, and others.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Meydey posted:

Best thing about WASD is the customization options. They will custom laser engrave keys, and do custom color layouts. Believe there bases are made by CoStar which is used by DAS, and others.
Doesn't look like they offer UK layout.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tunga posted:

They normally do: 105-key. Out of stock right now, though; I imagine it's because they're gearing up for WASD V2 keyboards.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 13, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Tunga posted:

Corsair K70 is supposedly coming in browns at some point.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've had a G710+ for a couple weeks now and have zero backlight issues, you can turn both backlight zones off completely if you want (they have 5? brightness settings, separately set for both "zones"). I did read about the problems though.

Well, I took a chance, and bought one. It's nice. I like the O-rings they put on. Having the backlight at 50% brightness looks best to me right now, and the macro key software seems pretty good. I haven't used anything else that has them, but it's pretty easy to record macros, even on the fly. Not bad for $95 plus tax.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After killing my trusty Microsoft multimedia keyboard, I ended up 2 day shipping a DasKeyboard with MX Blue keys from Amazon. It's phenomenal to type on, to the point that I'm pretty much just posting this for an excuse to type something. As an aside, the keys really are very clacky. It sounds just like a typewriter.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Saw some pictures of a Corsair "K50" at Computex. Looks like a membrane version of the K90.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Keys on MX blues will always be clicky but they will be more silent if you don't bottom out.

I might buy a Topre keyboard with my birthday money.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Tunga posted:

They do, I have one

HalloKitty posted:

They normally do: 105-key. Out of stock right now, though; I imagine it's because they're gearing up for WASD V2 keyboards.

Oh, that's a shame, I pointed some colleagues towards WASD a few days ago for the same thing

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Tunga posted:

http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-blackwidow-stealth-edition-2013
This is the keyboard I am currently using, and I am very happy with it. It does not have too many gaming related functions, and no backlights, so I believe this is the keyboard for you. They also offer the UK layout. The only extras they have are the 5 macro keys on the far left. They do take some time to get used to, but you will appreciate them if you do any sort of programming or gaming. They are very versatile, and can be programmed to perform many complex actions. The Stealth Edition uses brown switches, so go for that model.

EDIT: Just realized it says US layout only, sorry. It would have been the perfect keyboard otherwise.

Pseudo-God fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 17, 2013

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Tunga posted:

I did some looking around for the exact same thing last week. Check out Filco, Ducky, and Leopold. They all make keyboards with brown switches, that fit your description - don't know about their UK layout availability though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind LED backlights or a bit of colour, as long as it still looks fairly sophisticated. The (non-mechanical) Logitech boards with the LCD screens on are the pinnacle of everything I hate about "gamer hardware" design. Right now I have a Microsoft/Razer Reclusa which has blue backlights and a few media keys and that's fine, I'm only replacing it because the USB connector is starting to break and I'd like something with mechanical switches since everyone raves about them.

Dogen posted:

Corsair K70 is supposedly coming in browns at some point.
Doesn't seem to be any sign of a UK version of this.

Astrobastard posted:

They do, I have one
Sorry, yeah, I meant that they don't have them right now. I'm keeping an eye out for when they launch the new model though.
Yeah that one looked alright but as you said, it's US only :( .

Maus posted:

I did some looking around for the exact same thing last week. Check out Filco, Ducky, and Leopold. They all make keyboards with brown switches, that fit your description - don't know about their UK layout availability though.
Filco with Browns are out of stock everywhere, Ducky and Leopold don't seem to make UK layouts.

Another one I found is the Roccat Ryos which looks great but doesn't appear to have actually been released despite being announced something like five months ago.

Basically it seems like it's impossible to actually find a decent Cherry Brown keyboard in the UK.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Maus posted:

Dunno about the others but you can get UK layout Filcos from http://www.keyboardco.com/, who also sell on Amazon. You want the ones listed as "tactile action" for MX Browns.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I don't see any reason to get anything other than a CM Storm QuickFire with Browns if you can't/don't want to get a Filco. They're cheaper than a Filco and almost identical. I wanted to get a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja originally as my first but they weren't going to be in stock at The Keyboard Company for months, I hadn't used a mechanical before so I didn't know if I like it or not and my keyboard was broken and annoying the poo poo out of me so I got one of these: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-rapid-mechanical-cherry-black-mx-gaming-keyboard

I bought it from there. Don't worry about the pictures, they don't come branded anymore and it's UK layout. I can take some photos of my own to show you, if you like.

If I had a reason to get a new keyboard I'd probably get the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL with Browns again. I'd like to try Black switches but I can't be bothered messing around with returning it if I don't like it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

Dunno about the others but you can get UK layout Filcos from http://www.keyboardco.com/, who also sell on Amazon. You want the ones listed as "tactile action" for MX Browns.
It's out of stock though:

quote:

We are out of stock, but expecting more stock on Thursday the 15th of August

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I don't see any reason to get anything other than a CM Storm QuickFire with Browns if you can't/don't want to get a Filco.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-rapid-mechanical-cherry-black-mx-gaming-keyboard
That one is Black but they have the Brown version too. Now this looks interesting. Going to check some reviews, thanks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Tunga posted:

It's out of stock though:

That one is Black but they have the Brown version too. Now this looks interesting. Going to check some reviews, thanks.

Oh sorry, didn't realise Keyboard Co were out of stock. Just bear in mind that the one you linked with Brown key is the trigger, not the Quickfire. There's a largeish price difference.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

Oh sorry, didn't realise Keyboard Co were out of stock. Just bear in mind that the one you linked with Brown key is the trigger, not the Quickfire. There's a largeish price difference.
That's cool, the QuickFire seems to be missing a numerical keypad anyway, which I would definitely want.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
There's also the Das Keyboard silent: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30024.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tunga posted:

That's cool, the QuickFire seems to be missing a numerical keypad anyway, which I would definitely want.
The QuickFire TK has a numpad and no arrow & page block, or the QuickFire Pro is a standard full-size board.

There are three different sizes / layouts of Cooler Master: page/arrows only, numpad only, or standard. Then each style is made with 3 or 4 different switch colors. And then there's different amounts of backlighting on the different models (none, partial around the WASD zone and arrows, and full). Their website has a pretty good browser for all the different models to see which variant has which features.

Whether you can get stock of all the different models in the UK is an open question.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Time to go old school, in keyboard terms:

An old guy I helped out with some PC stuff had about 6 of these, a mix of new in box Avant Stellars and Northgate Omnikey Ultras. He gave me one of each as payment after I started drooling when laying eyes on them. It's all the glorious feel of the classic Apple Extended II, but with programability and extra macro keys.

There is a notable difference in quality and consistency between the switches in the Northgate vs the Avant, the Northgate is absolutely better. I guess the best way to describe it is that the sharp tactile bump is much more crisp on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why do people insist using the stands to elevate the upper portion of the keyboard? Doesn't that put stress on your carpal tunnels? Wouldn't it be better the elevate the lower portion of the keyboard where the spacebar is?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Habit, probably.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Rosewill RK series still rebranded Filcos? I have one of the models with the faulty usb connector and I'm looking for another one (minus the broken connector of course). I thought I heard somewhere that they had changed the model, but I may be wrong there.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 20, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

KaneTW posted:

Habit, probably.

Yeah, it's a combination of outdated habits developed around old tech (typewriters and ancient all-in-ones) and the fact that a surprising number of people still can't type without looking at the keys. There are still people out there who balance the books without numpad proficiency and people who type code while visually confirming character locations.

Imagine you can't touch-type competently, then imagine typing with all the keycaps tilted away from you. Labels become squat and nearly illegible. For good typists, the front-lift ought to be an industry-standard option instead of the dumb relic of rear-lift. Ergonomic declines would probably be more common if manufacturers used larger and taller letters along with consistently including popular OS shortcuts on key-fronts like the MS 4000.
:sigh:

edit: In the event that you're focused on ergonomics for some weird use-case where the keyboard is above sternum level, the rear-lift can actually make typing less awkward. Desktop computer for a poor dwarf? Rackmount keyboard placed too-high out of poor planning or spite? It's hard to think of anything common enough to justify the dumb incline as a universal feature.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 20, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Or just get a Filco ninja keyboard :getin:

I know, my keyboard really needs a cleaning

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

icantfindaname posted:

Are the Rosewill RK series still rebranded Filcos? I have one of the models with the faulty usb connector and I'm looking for another one. I thought I heard somewhere that they had changed the underlying model that they were rebranding as Rosewill, but I may be wrong there.
They've never been rebranded Filcos, they're made by the Costar OEM that also makes keyboards for Filco. They share a lot of the same construction, but I'd bet there are some differences that make the Rosewills less expensive. (Based on the fact that mine's lettering is wearing somewhat quickly, the keycaps might be cheaper.) They're going to change their lineup a bit with illuminated models, but the standard RK-9000 boards are the same as always.

If you have the bad usb connector -- not all the boards with the mini-usb socket are bad, just the first production run where they weren't secured -- you can send it back for a warranty replacement, they get 3 years.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I just want to pop in and say that the Corsair K70 is way better than the K60 by lightyears. I own both and the Corsair K60 (Red Switches) still feel clunky compared to the K70 which are also red switches. Maybe it's only in my head? Who knows. Also, the reactive lighting gimmick is pretty nifty. If anyone was kind of hesitant on the K70, don't be. It has a solid build and anodized black just looks awesome. Oh and since some of you guys were talking about it, this keyboard does have front stands and rear stands but I prefer to lay my keyboards flat.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Buffer Overflow posted:

So my trusty MS ergonomic 4000 keyboard finally died after a few years of service. While I was picking up a replacement I got to try out the corsair k60 and obviously I had forgotten how much nicer using a keyboard with actual mechanical switches is. From what I can tell mechanical switches are mostly limited to gaming keyboards at this point and the only ergo ones are stuff like the Teck Truly Ergonomic Keyboard, the Kinesis Advantage or even more expensive stuff. Does anyone here use either the Teck or the Kinesis keyboards? I'm a programmer so I'm basically on the keyboard the entire day and I can touch type.

I have a kinesis advantage; I got the pro uh, because, I have a bunch of silver hardware and I was splurging anyways. The larger (140 character?) macro capacity is nice too for documentation templates, comment blocks etc and because I've always wanted a footswitch I got the 3 pedal one instead of just the single. I have used it pretty extensively (4 years?) and I certainly don't regret spending the cash on it - the browns are a nice mechanical and suit the purpose of an ergo keyboard. There is a definite learning curve, particularly with the thumb keys (enter/space especially) - I sucked for the first week of use and it was weird to have to be checking finger positions and I still crank out more wpm on a standard 104. The ergo is really nice to use for extended sessions - I sit better, probably an artifact of having my elbows more out with the canted key-pods? The pedal is awesome, but since I rarely use it for anything other than shift probably I should have just got the single pedal.

It's probably worth mentioning that I have had used mostly Model M's since the late 80's. I did use a ms natural for a while, and liked they layout but hated the mush. I'm still waay too hardwired to the M's for any gaming I do, so they both hang out on my desk. Transitioning between them is slightly weird; I relentlessly hammer at the model m, and the kinesis is more like playing a piano?

Clearly, I need to buy an old organ to retrofit as a computer desk, so I can have more foot buttons, and the two decks for the keyboards..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Cizzo posted:

I just want to pop in and say that the Corsair K70 is way better than the K60 by lightyears. I own both and the Corsair K60 (Red Switches) still feel clunky compared to the K70 which are also red switches. Maybe it's only in my head? Who knows. Also, the reactive lighting gimmick is pretty nifty. If anyone was kind of hesitant on the K70, don't be. It has a solid build and anodized black just looks awesome. Oh and since some of you guys were talking about it, this keyboard does have front stands and rear stands but I prefer to lay my keyboards flat.

Thanks for tipping me over the edge and making me upgrade my k60 jerk :mad:

• Locked thread