Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

Looks like a reflection.

Now that I'm not on my phone, I think it's a reflection of neon letters from a store in that shopping center. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea its the grocery store sign reflecting off the shiny newness.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Is there a go-to 18" tire for our cars? I am ready to take my Blizzak's off, and looking for a new set of tires.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
What is everyone's opinion on street unit performance as a company? The quality of their products, engineering they do, honesty, etc. Are they a known brand in Mazdas? I might work there.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 30, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord Gaga posted:

What is everyone's opinion on street unit performance as a company. the quality of their products, engineering they do, honesty, etc.? Are they a known brand in Mazdas? I might work there.

Are they the guys who are banned from Mazdas247 for shady business practices?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
No idea never owned a Mazda

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord Gaga posted:

No idea never owned a Mazda

Yeah, they're banned from several Mazda forums.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f337/sure-motorsports-streetunit-com-design-flaws-danger-139503/?pg=9

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Yea they look like they have some quality problems which Id guess is why they're looking for an engineer. Though their advertise salary range says we want an "engineer." Thank you.

EDIT: I opted to cancel my interview, thanks for the feedback guys.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Holy crap; I'm just now seeing this (AI is the only auto enthusiast forum I frequent). I've bought a few things from street unit, including the SURE RMM and dread naught rear diff mount (not yet installed). Every oil change I've inspected the RMM and haven't seen any problems (but I'm not into launching my car and power shifting like some slap dick) or failures. I'm certainly going to gauge what I purchase from them now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lord Gaga posted:

Yea they look like they have some quality problems which Id guess is why they're looking for an engineer. Though their advertise salary range says we want an "engineer." Thank you.

EDIT: I opted to cancel my interview, thanks for the feedback guys.

Sounds like they haven't learned a thing. But yeah, they're a pretty shady company and I wouldn't deal with them.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

air- posted:

Sounds like they haven't learned a thing. But yeah, they're a pretty shady company and I wouldn't deal with them.

They have ongoing product failures and a CEO who wants to hire an engineer for $10-18/hr. (No joke. That is the actual amount.) For reference a 3rd year engineering student intern from my school at Lockheed Martin or Mitsubishi makes $15-20/hr depending on whether they know nothing or just know very little. Most engineers from my school graduate into the 40k-65k range ($20-32.50/hr) + benefits.

EDIT:
I understand that business arena all too well though and it likely is simply too expensive to hire a real engineer. They basically need to be run by real engineers or people who are absolute marketing and branding pros who can get the initial sales high enough to hire an engineer.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 31, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They've been caught making bad copies of other companies products a few times now as well.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

hunter x az posted:

Is there a go-to 18" tire for our cars? I am ready to take my Blizzak's off, and looking for a new set of tires.

Bridgestone Potenza RE760

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also Hankook Ventus V12 and if you're on a budget, Kumho Ecsta SPT's.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

air- posted:

I just got the Kumho Ecsta 4X about 600 miles ago and they don't suck yet. This is my Speed6, so wheelspin isn't really an issue off the line. The Kumho ASXs I had a few years ago had terrible wet traction off the line.

They were the only thing that didn't have to get ordered in. Still had to go with the 225s instead of the 215s.

If I wasn't an impatient rear end in a top hat $150 bux more would have bought an amazing tire at Costco.

Edit: But if you already have winter tires and aren't looking for All Seasons go for the SPTs

Edit Edit:

Replaced my struts with Bilstein HDs and Front Lower Rear control arm. I'm starting to like my car again after it loving sucked with dead struts and crap steering due to the issues.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 1, 2013

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

air- posted:

I had the V12 and they were originally real good, but once they started wearing down water traction in rain was slightly higher than horrifying. I have Potenza 970s now and haven't had an issue yet with 20k on 'em.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've spent a lot of time on my Ventus V12s in the rain (and some in the snow) without any drama, but they definitely aren't optimal.

Anyways, I'm here because the manager of a place I eat lunch at asked me about Legacy GTs, and I mentioned he might look at the Mazdaspeed 6 as well, but I've never driven it and don't know anything about it (or the 6 in general, other than I like the 1st gen's styling and keep hearing that they develop nasty cabin leaks). How do you guys think it compares to the LGT?

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Ok I've attempted this twice now, but I have an OEM ipod integration kit for my 2012 Speed3 that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install. I have the tech package that came with Sirius, so in theory all I need to do is find the plug on the Sirius harness that plugs into the ipod integration box and I'll be good to go. I've torn the dash apart per the installation guide it came with, but I have yet to be able to find the plug I'm supposed to use. Does anyone know where I'm supposed to be looking? Also what the heck are all the capped wide blue connectors hanging around all over the place behind the dash?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I'd check the Gen2 Car Audio section over at http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is the reliability of modern Mazda automatics?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Where can I find an underside diagram of the 2006 3 hatchback? Mine seems to be leaking a little on random nights.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Took the car out on some back roads on Friday evening. The temp had finally dropped outside and the car was pulling nice and hard. Felt great to let it stretch its legs finally. Had to clean off the dead bugs though.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Well, after 75k miles I finally joined the broken intake bracket club. I even got the new bushings from Cobb that said it wouldn't break. :negative: Any thoughts on what to do to keep this from screwing up my MAF sensor?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New Mazda 3 outed

Not sure I'm fully with it. Think the current gen looks better in a good amount of ways.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ehhhhhh. Looks like an Infinity FX. I'm not sold.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So they fixed the front end and then made the back look like... that?

That back hatch really cuts back on the cargo volume, I bet.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Dislike... Gen 2 is the best looking MS3.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Agreed, the rear end looks too pinched upward.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

hunter x az posted:

And the last MS3. I read somewhere that there will be no Mazdaspeed3 for MY2014. Can't find a link to confirm at the moment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That would suck but at the same time I can believe it, if only because Mazda might not want to keep developing the turbo MZR. After all, from 2007 through 2012 it was shared with the Mazdaspeed6 and/or the CX-7; the MS6 had it alone in '06, but at least there they had plans to put it in the MS3/CX-7 still.

With the current desire for fuel economy, I think they're looking more to where they can put the Skyactiv, not a 260hp engine that gets roughly half the highway mileage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The solution is a turbo Skyactive motor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hunter x az posted:

Wrong. First gen with alcantara seats.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bovril Delight posted:

Correct answer.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

They really did bungle the seats in the Gen2. My girlfriends Civic EX Coupe has better back support and bolstering.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Undisputed fact

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still wish they'd made the second gen Speed3 in a coupe, the hatchback never really did it for me. It's why I went with the 6.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I was opposed to the hatch too but there was something about the 2nd gen that really grew on me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fingers McGee posted:

I was opposed to the hatch too but something about the 2nd gen that really grew on me.

I don't think it's a bad looking car at all, I was just burned out on hatchbacks at the time. If it'd been offered with AWD like the 6 I probably would've jumped into one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope they continue the Speed3 line. It would be a shame if Mazda has no more speed models. AWD Speed CX-5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

I hope they continue the Speed3 line. It would be a shame if Mazda has no more speed models. AWD Speed CX-5?

I think NoDoze said he saw something about a Turbo Skyactive. I'd love to be able to stay in a Speed car down the line.