Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bubble Babble posted:

This thread is filled with babies!! Congrats, you guys! My due date buddy popped a month early, and my other friend had hers, so now I'm in the sad limbo of no booze and no baby. Which is actually good because, uh, no nursery yet.

Has anyone ever donated their placenta? I'd really like to do that, but it seems like the only places I can find require you to have a c-section. We'll do cord blood too, but I'd hate for that whole organ I made just to go to waste when science can do something cool with it. Any leads?

It doesn't need to go to waste, keep it for yourself and eat it. This sounds horrifying but is actually not nearly as gross as you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Tbh having seen my placenta I find the idea of eating it pretty horrifying.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Our doula dehydrated it and packed it into capsules for my wife, it literally just looks like another vitamin. This is what's left, keeps in the freezer for later:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Congrats Sudont and Sheri! Let the June baby boom continue! (Even though mine came a couple days early to technically be a may baby! :argh:)
And yeah we need pictures!

After seeing the cord stump on my baby I was actually sad I didn't get to see the cord and placenta since I had a csection. The texture/color of the cord looked pretty amazing to me, being a biology geek. No one even asked if I wanted to see it. And my husband didn't get to cut the cord. :(

And he was a bit early and I wanted to look into banking cord blood but we never got around to it, which really makes me sad. :sigh:
I just hope if he ever needs any stem cell therapy in his lifetime by the time that would happen technology will be able to harvest/make them without needing cord blood. I guess there is also always the chance I might have a second baby at some point and that cord blood could potentially help either child. Although because my pregnancy was so complicated I'm not 100% sure if we'll try for a second biological child or not...I really want more than one kid though. :( And my husband I'm fairly certain does want to try for a daughter- He wants to teach her to play video games :3:

It's depressing when every image of your pregnancy and birth are completely ruined by medical poo poo. I just need to keep reminding myself he's here and healthy and that is all that matters.

/end birth rambling.

I do have some breastfeeding questions. Baby is 2 weeks and a few days, I'm producing a good amount of milk and baby is good at latching and nursing for the most part, but my nipples still kill when he first latches (at one point last night I was crying/whimpering while nursing it hurt so bad) and my breasts between feedings sometimes get really sore and achy/painful, but are soft and not engorged. I'm concerned about thrush even though my Dr said I had no signs of it, because things online seem to say pain can be the only sign...and I was on antibiotics for suspected early signs of mastitis.

Does it really sound like thrush? There are no weird signs on my nipples or inside baby's mouth. Or is this just normal breastfeeding pain? I'm seriously getting so worn out from the pain of feeding him 4 hours a day. (According to my feeding tracker app on my phone he spends an average of 4 hours a day stuck to my nipples. :emo:)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Greycious posted:

I do have some breastfeeding questions. Baby is 2 weeks and a few days, I'm producing a good amount of milk and baby is good at latching and nursing for the most part, but my nipples still kill when he first latches (at one point last night I was crying/whimpering while nursing it hurt so bad) and my breasts between feedings sometimes get really sore and achy/painful, but are soft and not engorged. I'm concerned about thrush even though my Dr said I had no signs of it, because things online seem to say pain can be the only sign...and I was on antibiotics for suspected early signs of mastitis.

Does it really sound like thrush? There are no weird signs on my nipples or inside baby's mouth. Or is this just normal breastfeeding pain? I'm seriously getting so worn out from the pain of feeding him 4 hours a day. (According to my feeding tracker app on my phone he spends an average of 4 hours a day stuck to my nipples. :emo:)

Have you had your son looked at for tongue/upper lip tie? It's commonly missed by pediatricians. You can have an LC take a look.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Papercut posted:

It doesn't need to go to waste, keep it for yourself and eat it. This sounds horrifying but is actually not nearly as gross as you'd think.

The thought crossed my mind, but I'm a vegetarian. Sure, it's officially vegetarian, but good lord. I don't think my husband would really be on fire about it either, even if he grilled it.

I actually emailed a researcher at Yale who is working on [link="http://medicine.yale.edu/obgyn/kliman/autism/asd/patients.aspx"]autism research and placental folds[/url] but they don't just take placentas. It also looks like vaginas make placentas germy, so that's why you need a c-section to donate it.

I guess cord blood only for donation. I'm sad about the ASD research, since my brothers are on the spectrum. Maybe for the next kid.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

bamzilla posted:

Have you had your son looked at for tongue/upper lip tie? It's commonly missed by pediatricians. You can have an LC take a look.

I had a nurse/ LC sort of person come to my home last week and she looked in his mouth and didn't say anything was out of the ordinary so I think he's clear there

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Greycious posted:

I do have some breastfeeding questions. Baby is 2 weeks and a few days, I'm producing a good amount of milk and baby is good at latching and nursing for the most part, but my nipples still kill when he first latches (at one point last night I was crying/whimpering while nursing it hurt so bad) and my breasts between feedings sometimes get really sore and achy/painful, but are soft and not engorged.

It doesn't explain the soreness after a feed, but could you have flat nipples or a nipple adhesion? You can do an image search, but both are commonly associated with toe-curling pain on latch for the 15 to 30 seconds.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You can call your doc or LC and ask about All-Purpose Nipple Ointment in the meantime to see if that helps with the pain.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Greycious posted:

I just hope if he ever needs any stem cell therapy in his lifetime by the time that would happen technology will be able to harvest/make them without needing cord blood. I guess there is also always the chance I might have a second baby at some point and that cord blood could potentially help either child. Although because my pregnancy was so complicated I'm not 100% sure if we'll try for a second biological child or not...I really want more than one kid though. :( And my husband I'm fairly certain does want to try for a daughter- He wants to teach her to play video games :3:

If it makes you feel better, they probably wouldn't use his own cord blood to treat anything serious, since it would have the same genetics.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Greycious posted:

Let the June baby boom continue!

Nooo, my husband gets two extra weeks of paternity leave if kiddo stays in untill July 1st!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

http://ministryhealth.org/display/router.aspx?docid=556&facility_Id=4&parents_id=19336

My little (big) guy.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Greycious posted:

My nipples were terribly painful for 2-3 weeks then it cleared right up. I think it may be normal to have pain at first.

I hired a lactation consultant and she said that I was doing nothing wrong, except I had slightly the wrong grip on the baby's head (I had my hand behind baby's head and apparently this means that the baby can't lean her head back if she needs to.) The pain went away after I changed grip but it is as likely to have been time as technique.

Lactation consultants are not all that expensive if you have some spare cash - mine cost $30.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

DwemerCog posted:

Lactation consultants are not all that expensive if you have some spare cash - mine cost $30.

In the US, lactation consultants are now covered by health insurance. You just may have to do the legwork to get the claim submitted since most of them won't bill insurance directly.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

skeetied posted:

In the US, lactation consultants are now covered by health insurance. You just may have to do the legwork to get the claim submitted since most of them won't bill insurance directly.

Bah, I asked my insurance if they would cover it, and they said "Only in the hospital." But it was only $30 so whatever.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
Just got back from my OB appointment. I'm 33+5 right now, and the nurse was saying that the baby feels really large. She didn't do an ultrasound, but said she thought he might be close to 5lbs already, meaning that if I go to 40 weeks, I'm likely to have a 9+ lb baby. As if that weren't worrying enough, while measuring the fetal heartbeat she noticed I was having a contraction, which I didn't even know was happening. It just felt like my belly was stiff, and I've been feeling that a lot lately but didn't know it was contractions. Because they aren't painful she thinks they are Braxton Hicks but decided to have the OB do a cervix check just to be safe (baby is head down and pretty low) and I am apparently 2 cm dilated already.

So they want me to limit my activity, take it easy, be lazy for the next couple weeks to hopefully postpone actual labor until I'm closer to 37-38 weeks. I also have to keep watch on the contractions and come in if they become more frequent. But seeing as I can barely tell when I'm having them, I'm nervous I'll miss an important sign somewhere. And I'm worried that I brought this on, since I've continued walking my dog every morning (but only half a mile if that, much reduced).

Last week I was all worried about going late like most first time moms, and now I'm all worried about going to early. Blegh.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

travelsized posted:

Last week I was all worried about going late like most first time moms, and now I'm all worried about going to early. Blegh.

First off, relax :) Second, I wouldn't worry too much about the early contractions unless you notice them getting more painful. With my second I was in the hospital for monitoring on 3 separate occasions with preterm labor issues - starting at 32 weeks. I'm one of those people who never felt contractions all that well so I was super paranoid. Each time I was given something to stop the contractions. Also told ot take it easy but that was difficult with a 2 1/2 year old running around. I was also told my baby was around 6lbs at about 34 weeks. My son was born just shy of 38 weeks and was 7lbs 12oz.

All anecdotal but hopefully it'll help!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

DwemerCog posted:

Bah, I asked my insurance if they would cover it, and they said "Only in the hospital." But it was only $30 so whatever.

Just as a note, when you're in the hospital, check to see if your insurance covers breast pumps. Came home with a free Medela double electric breast pump and I would have never thought to ask about it if an LC hadn't come in and was like "hey want me to see if your insurance will give you a free pump?"

I mean drat, for what we pay for insurance hell yes I'll take a free $300 pump!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Haha, kiddo has apparently heard all our nagging about "please turn around!", and is now...facing the other way :eng99:

Sure, it's a nice change of pace to get kicked and punched in the left side of my stomach rather than the right, so I'll give her an A for effort, but still... Hopefully the version tomorrow works. Fingers crossed that I won't be going without food and water all morning for nothing!

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

bamzilla posted:

First off, relax :) Second, I wouldn't worry too much about the early contractions unless you notice them getting more painful. With my second I was in the hospital for monitoring on 3 separate occasions with preterm labor issues - starting at 32 weeks. I'm one of those people who never felt contractions all that well so I was super paranoid. Each time I was given something to stop the contractions. Also told ot take it easy but that was difficult with a 2 1/2 year old running around. I was also told my baby was around 6lbs at about 34 weeks. My son was born just shy of 38 weeks and was 7lbs 12oz.

All anecdotal but hopefully it'll help!

That actually really makes me feel better. Thanks! I think I need good anecdotes.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

skeetied posted:

It doesn't explain the soreness after a feed, but could you have flat nipples or a nipple adhesion? You can do an image search, but both are commonly associated with toe-curling pain on latch for the 15 to 30 seconds.

No, no nipple issues.

I've been using some lanolin on my nipples about once or twice a day, I don't use it much just because he nurses so much and even though it is safe I don't really want him constantly having it in his mouth. I usually wipe off any excess before nursing.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Travel sized, I just had a 9' 11" baby with no drugs or anything whatsoever and they had no inclination he'd be that big. Ultrasound measurements can be off up to two pounds and are quite often. My guy was also head down starting at about 30 weeks and I had him three days prior to my due date and I was active. Don't fret about the size, but if they feel it is prudent to take it easy then by all means take it easy :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And if they didn't even do an ultrasound i'd be even more skeptical of the guess at the weight. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Greycious posted:

No, no nipple issues.

I've been using some lanolin on my nipples about once or twice a day, I don't use it much just because he nurses so much and even though it is safe I don't really want him constantly having it in his mouth. I usually wipe off any excess before nursing.

Have you tried Soothies? They're fantastic if you stick them in the fridge first. Is your nipple misshapen at all after a nursing session?

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

sheri posted:

And if they didn't even do an ultrasound i'd be even more skeptical of the guess at the weight. :)

Yeah, the estimate was just based off of how big he felt when she palpated my belly, so I expect its not super accurate. But since I was an 8.5 lb baby and my husband was 10.5 lbs, there's a good chance that this kid will be larger. Still, no use worrying about what I have little control over.

Luckily my boss is out of town this week, so I'll just take half days for the rest of the week and see how it goes. And guess my husband has to do all the dog walking now! (Unfortunately, after three years, the dog is trained to come to my side of the bed in the morning and wake me up).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I was 8'1" and hubby was 7'5" and somehow we made a huge one. :)

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

I'm sure everything will work out just fine regardless of your little one's size.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Haha, kiddo has apparently heard all our nagging about "please turn around!", and is now...facing the other way :eng99:

Sure, it's a nice change of pace to get kicked and punched in the left side of my stomach rather than the right, so I'll give her an A for effort, but still... Hopefully the version tomorrow works. Fingers crossed that I won't be going without food and water all morning for nothing!

Haha stubborn buttbabby! My buttbaby only ever faced my right side.

Good luck today!

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Lyz posted:

Just as a note, when you're in the hospital, check to see if your insurance covers breast pumps. Came home with a free Medela double electric breast pump and I would have never thought to ask about it if an LC hadn't come in and was like "hey want me to see if your insurance will give you a free pump?"

I mean drat, for what we pay for insurance hell yes I'll take a free $300 pump!

Do this, do this, do this! God, I love my health insurance. I work for the hospital so of course it's basically useless if I choose to go anywhere else (why would I?), but they'll cover up to a $500 electric pump. It seems like a lot of insurances added DME coverage for new mothers when they redid benefits for 2013, even though it wasn't required.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We got her turned around! Now I'm of course out of my mind with worry that she'll flip back around, so I'm walking and sitting on my excersise ball and also just holding her in place :v: I won't dare go to sleep tonight.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

We got her turned around! Now I'm of course out of my mind with worry that she'll flip back around, so I'm walking and sitting on my excersise ball and also just holding her in place :v: I won't dare go to sleep tonight.

That's awesome!! Congratulations...next step, baby!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Yesssss! So happy for you :) Now stay head down, baby! How was the procedure? Did it hurt?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Sockmuppet posted:

Congrats on the flip!

Congrats to all the new additions. :)

We're going through a "we can't have nice things" phase. Mom can't eat unless there a baby in her arms. I swear she's psychic. She was deep asleep and freshly changed and fed before I tried to get breakfast today. Mom can't be clean, I got out of the shower the other day and she almost immediately spit up on me. So I've been cuddling a doing laundry non-stop.

Keep the babies coming!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
It involved a midwife kneeling on the bed and putting her entire weight on my abdomen/babys butt and pushing, so yeah, it was quite a bit painful, and extremely...weird. Having someone rotate a baby around in your stomach by basically leaning against it and pushing with all they've got feels very weird. But getting the catheter inserted was worse, because I'm a giant baby about needles and it really stung, and leaked blood all over my hand.
That, combined with no food and water for quite a few hours and then the whole violent baby-turning procedure lead to me almost fainting in bed from a massive blood sugar crash :v: So the midwife kindly allowed me to drink my energy drink, which fixed me right up.

In total, not really a bucket of fun, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat as an alternative to breech birth/cesarian.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Sockmuppet, I have a friend whose midwife advised her to wear a girdle after they got the baby to flip at 36 weeks, to help keep the baby in place. They made sure it was properly fitted so that it was keeping enough pressure on her belly to keep the baby from flipping, but not so much that she was risking damage. You could ask your midwife if that's something you could try.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Sockmuppet posted:

It involved a midwife kneeling on the bed and putting her entire weight on my abdomen/babys butt and pushing, so yeah, it was quite a bit painful, and extremely...weird. Having someone rotate a baby around in your stomach by basically leaning against it and pushing with all they've got feels very weird. But getting the catheter inserted was worse, because I'm a giant baby about needles and it really stung, and leaked blood all over my hand.
That, combined with no food and water for quite a few hours and then the whole violent baby-turning procedure lead to me almost fainting in bed from a massive blood sugar crash :v: So the midwife kindly allowed me to drink my energy drink, which fixed me right up.

In total, not really a bucket of fun, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat as an alternative to breech birth/cesarian.

Ugh, I almost went for a version...but they were going to give me an epidural mainly because I went through enough bullshit with my cerclage removal. Not that I would have made it to the appointment anyways though since my water broke two days after we found out he was breech.

I'm so glad it worked for you though! The statistics didn't look so friendly to me.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Killer_Frost posted:

She was deep asleep and freshly changed and fed before I tried to get breakfast today.

I call this "nobody eats but Rory". Such tyranny.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Greycious posted:

I'm so glad it worked for you though! The statistics didn't look so friendly to me.

They were very thorough about checking whether they though it would work or not before they would even attempt a version, by seeing how much amniotic fluid there was, how she was lying, and if her butt was stuck at all, and they monitored her very closely throughout the entire version and warned me that they'd stop at any sign of trouble, so I felt completely safe.
The actual version was the least traumatic bit for me, the no food/drink for hours and the catheter (as a preparation for a possible emergency cesarian) was way worse.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Oh hey, I am finally back, and wanted to introduce my son.

This is Maximilian! He was born May 31st, and weighed in at 10lbs, 7 oz and was 24 inches long. :stare: We were expecting a big baby(his dad is 6'4 and was almost 11lbs at birth), but not that big!

We had originally planned on a home birth, but ended up being induced at the hospital after going 13 days over, and he was born at exactly two weeks over. The induction went pretty well until we got to 8 cm and found that his head hadn't moved down at all, and showed no signs of budging. He has a BIG head. We ended up needing a c-section, which was a little scary as I'd not read anything about them, I was so sure he was going to come a week or two early and be born at home! ha. But all went well.

Now to ask for advice: We are struggling with the breastfeeding. At this point, he's getting mostly expressed breast milk because I just can't get him to latch for longer than a minute or two. We attempt actual breastfeeding pretty much every time(during the day), and then after 15-30 minutes I give him a bottle of pumped milk. Really, I don't mind that setup, I will be returning to work in three weeks so he'll be getting a bottle anyway - but I don't know if my supply will keep up with his voracious appetite. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to increase your milk production? I would really like to put off formula as long as possible, but he's only three weeks old and he's already polished through the small reserve I had saved up and now I'm pumping multiple times in as many hours just to satisfy him for one feeding. Our doctor advised using formula for supplementation/night feedings, but I would like to put that off as long as possible.

pixie delights fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 20, 2013

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Congratulations to everyone in the thread with their new babies!

Sockmuppet, I hope your baby stays turned the right way around because that procedure sounds so awful, it would be a real downer for you to have gone through that for nought :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

pixie delights posted:

Now to ask for advice: We are struggling with the breastfeeding. At this point, he's getting mostly expressed breast milk because I just can't get him to latch for longer than a minute or two. We attempt actual breastfeeding pretty much every time(during the day), and then after 15-30 minutes I give him a bottle of pumped milk. Really, I don't mind that setup, I will be returning to work in three weeks so he'll be getting a bottle anyway - but I don't know if my supply will keep up with his voracious appetite. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to increase your milk production? I would really like to put off formula as long as possible, but he's only three weeks old and he's already polished through the small reserve I had saved up and now I'm pumping multiple times in as many hours just to satisfy him for one feeding. Our doctor advised using formula for supplementation/night feedings, but I would like to put that off as long as possible.

I ate a metric poo poo ton of oatmeal to boost my supply. Rory is a little greedy guts and I'm still producing about 20% more than he'll eat (growth spurts not withstanding). I've been exclusively pumping since he was about 3 weeks old because he just had no interest in the breast. I pump every 2 hours during the day, yielding about 180ml per pump except in the morning where I get ~340ml. How long are you pumping each session?