Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

HughGRect posted:

FreeEvilBillMurray.com

I'm thirding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

FreeEvilBillMurray.com

Fourthing it but I could be biased.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How far do I play 'til I get the joke?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How far do I play 'til I get the joke?

I got permabanned from the TSW forums. Forum name EvilBillMurray.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any humorous story or just standard PR crackdowns on forums?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Any humorous story or just standard PR crackdowns on forums?

Technically mod sass got me in the end. But I hassled the developers about commenting more about the horse head fiasco than they did the game being broken for two months.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cleretic posted:

Wicker's Wiki is a bit esoteric, silly and roundabout, but I enjoy it as a name.
Wickerpedia? E: probably already belongs to a basket weaving wiki or something though

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Lots of new cash shop clothes for all you pretty pretty princesses.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
New tube bra + several coats = invisible torso/arms :haw:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zephonith posted:

Wickerpedia? E: probably already belongs to a basket weaving wiki or something though

It does :(

Gonna find a hosting provider when I get home tonight.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cheston posted:

Didn't someone say we have plenty of space for a wiki on the enjin site?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tallian posted:

Yeah, but tying a wiki that's supposed to inform the playerbase as a whole to the TSW-goon Enjin site is probably a bad idea. We might be running it, but we want it to be free and open to everyone and to look as such; some of the more petulant and annoying people are likely going to entirely ignore the effort if it entirely looks like it's made by us.

And I'm gonna go against the wind and say I really don't support tying it up with EvilBillMurray either, even if that is a joke answer. He was certainly bringing up good points, but he was doing so without anything near tact, and the response is unsurprising.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, but tying a wiki that's supposed to inform the playerbase as a whole to the TSW-goon Enjin site is probably a bad idea. We might be running it, but we want it to be free and open to everyone and to look as such; some of the more petulant and annoying people are likely going to entirely ignore the effort if it entirely looks like it's made by us.

And I'm gonna go against the wind and say I really don't support tying it up with EvilBillMurray either, even if that is a joke answer. He was certainly bringing up good points, but he was doing so without anything near tact, and the response is unsurprising.

Ah, didn't realize this was going for a pubbie oriented wiki.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tallian posted:

Ah, didn't realize this was going for a pubbie oriented wiki.

Hey, we already know all this poo poo, they're the ones that need to be told things.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

tallian posted:

There is room on the site, in theory, for a wiki. And before Cheston drops his cash monies that might be a good place to get one started. That's assuming Cheston has never worked a wiki before and wants to play around in a test environment before going live. And FreeEvilBillMurray was just a joke name, if the wiki is trying to be legit then it should be something with a bit more secret world in it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

There is room on the site, in theory, for a wiki. And before Cheston drops his cash monies that might be a good place to get one started. That's assuming Cheston has never worked a wiki before and wants to play around in a test environment before going live. And FreeEvilBillMurray was just a joke name, if the wiki is trying to be legit then it should be something with a bit more secret world in it.

I've done admin stuff on a couple of servers before, this shouldn't be too different. Definitely going to put it off until the weekend, though. I'll just register two domains and have EBM be a redirect to throw around on the official forums.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheston posted:

I'm happy with mine, if you want the details.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why don't we just improve the crygaia wiki? All the work is done and it wouldn't have the potential of being a goon project.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Why don't we just improve the crygaia wiki? All the work is done and it wouldn't have the potential of being a goon project.

That probably does make the most sense, really. The whole point of a wiki is to be collaborative, there's no reason to build a new one.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Because if goons do not make the wiki, then another goon can not sweep in and make stupid T-shirts with the wiki's logo to sell to the community.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

Because if goons do not make the wiki, then another goon can not sweep in and make stupid T-shirts with the wiki's logo to sell to the community.
Are you suggesting we recruit Badr back?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not against polishing up the CryGaia wiki, but it's sort of a dilapidated relic; not surprising when you look at the domain name. Judging by the Recent Changes page at this point the entire thing is being curated by two people, only one of which is an admin.

My other issue is that we might clash a bit with the management of an old place like this that we want to fix up. I can only imagine our editing style would be very total, hardline and not entirely polite, so if we can even get ahold of some of the people still managing the place (again, there's one admin and one regular user) we might not see eye-to-eye.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

One post after it's not named FreeEvilBillMurray.

This is all because I don't like the current wikis. Why work on something you dislike?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

So having played a little bit of the trial (just got to the sheriff's station in Kingsmouth) I have to say I am genuinely impressed by the SWTOR-esque quest presentation as well as the Champions-like class system. I just jumped the gun on buying it on Steam (it's 50% off).

I have to ask: is there a specific faction that's weaker in story/setting/presentation? Or is it all just up to preference and all 3 stack up well against each other?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's mostly preference. You get a different intro/handler and two faction-specific missions between the regions, and text debriefings when you turn in missions are faction-specific as well. Pick who you thematically like more (dragon = chaos theory stuff, illuminati = moneyhats and Kirsten Geary, templars = classy old farts sitting on artifacts and books), or based on the faction uniforms/deck outfits:

Dragon: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/dragon/
Illuminati: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/illuminati/
Templar: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/templar/

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2013

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Welp now I've descended into madness. Looking at the available deck combinations is pretty overwhelming, but I have to say that the biggest draw for me would be outfits. Is it worth focusing on deck builds that yield cool outfits or is it better to just play freeform? As much as I'd like to make my own custom deck, the thought of having a cool build that leaves me with an outfit that makes me look like a street thug leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Welp now I've descended into madness. Looking at the available deck combinations is pretty overwhelming, but I have to say that the biggest draw for me would be outfits. Is it worth focusing on deck builds that yield cool outfits or is it better to just play freeform? As much as I'd like to make my own custom deck, the thought of having a cool build that leaves me with an outfit that makes me look like a street thug leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

The deck outfits are purely cosmetic, you don't have to wear them, but they are faction specific. Also the actual deck builds aren't good, so don't start filling them out unless you really want the outfit, and even then, don't do it until you already have a solid build, which plenty of people in this thread can help steer you in the right direction.

The correct answer anyway though is Illuminati because Kirsten Geary. Nothing beats Geary.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: Templar outfits and Virgula Divina do, yes :colbert:

The deck outfits are just rewards for buying the abilities contained in the premade deck, if you hit the "claim reward" button they go into your dressing room, usually in the form of uniform outfits or uniform + something like hats or glasses. You can wear any clothes with any abilities.

The main reason to go for the deck abilities is to unlock clothes, not to use the actual deck because unfortunately the premade decks are ranging from average to bad, you're almost always better off with a custom build. They sometimes show you working combinations for a build, like specific attack -> proc weaken -> proc damage or buffs if you hit weakened targets. However, while that works and may have been intended to be used, the flat damage procs aren't that good and in min-max terms stacking percentage buffs is far more beneficial after a while. At lower gear/skill levels you can use them to get free damage that may still outscale 10% more damage on top of "not a lot".

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 19, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

orcane posted:

E: Templar outfits and Virgula Divina do, yes :colbert:

Touche, a valid rebuttal. Geary is still certainly up there though.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Killsion posted:

plenty of people in this thread can help steer you in the right direction.

Okay, so I'm looking to build a blade-based deck focused on solo play. I've always been partial to the Red Mage style of Melee/Spell combo attacks. Is this feasible?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
The Secret World is 50% off on Steam today at $15, tell all your friends to visit.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is this feasible?

For zone content, anything is feasible.

Take passives and actives that "make sense". That's all you really need to do. Bring passives that affect the skills you use, don't bring passives that don't affect the skills you use (its amazing how many people end up not doing this). Remember that passives work regardless of equipped weapon (unlike actives which require particular weapons), so you can pull passives from all of the weapon trees.

For melee in particular Breakdown in one of the chaos trees applies exposed on every melee weapon hit, which becomes the largest damage increase in the game.

Just don't try to do everything. You cannot heal and tank and do damage all at the same time. For the most part in zone content, a HP piece (or an extra HP piece) is going to give you more survivability than trying to spec into healing.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If you're super interested in the deck costumes, just be aware that in game some don't look quite like their artwork. Here's a link to show them all in game:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=34517

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
After a long time of toiling in dungeons, I have finally gotten all 10.4 equipment.

This means many things to many people. Being nearly as useful as your gear can allow, finally being able to get in on any team you want without lying, being able to actually survive in Facility NM.

For me it just means I don't have to fight Machine Tyrant anymore. And that knowledge, I feel, trumps all other implications.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

The Secret World is 50% off on Steam today at $15, tell all your friends to visit.

Looks like it's the top seller right now. Nice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cleretic posted:

After a long time of toiling in dungeons, I have finally gotten all 10.4 equipment.

This means many things to many people. Being nearly as useful as your gear can allow, finally being able to get in on any team you want without lying, being able to actually survive in Facility NM.

For me it just means I don't have to fight Machine Tyrant anymore. And that knowledge, I feel, trumps all other implications.

Machine Tyrant (and legit 3/6 HF) are pretty much the best fight in the game. Why anyone wouldn't want to do them is beyond me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Toshimo posted:

Machine Tyrant (and legit 3/6 HF) are pretty much the best fight in the game. Why anyone wouldn't want to do them is beyond me.

A big part of my hatred for Machine Tyrant is the over-reliance on CU. Shotgun is far and away my least favorite weapon to use, and pubs basically mandate its use if you're playing a DPS (the last MT run I did had four, maybe even all five running shotgun, which nobody seemed to see a problem with). To top it off I don't think I've ever been on a team that's actually mandated and maintained a CU order for more than one cycle. CU is an overrated and overpowered ability simultaneously if such a thing is even possible, and Machine Tyrant is a really big part of that.

Also, dodging the rings is hell on a high-ping connection, sometimes you'll just get arbitrarily killed because your client and the server didn't agree on where you were. I've never done the third Hell Fallen boss legit, but as I recall in NM it requires the DPS to run impairs, which sounds difficult to manage.

Personally my favorite bosses are HE and Fac 5/6, because I'm a sucker for supposedly fighting on even ground, and those two are both sort of meant to be another team.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Toshimo posted:

It's not so much that I don't want to do Machine Tyrant as that I don't want to do Machine Tyrant with the DPS I usually get grouped with for him.

And yes, Cleanup needs to go away. They could easily fix the problem by just making Cleansing Drone follow your defensive target instead of your offensive target, or just making cleanses as easily available and simple to activate (i.e. hitting your defensive target instead of self or offensive target PBAoEs) as purges already are.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cleanup and AR DPS as well as leech healing need to be nerfed hard on grounds of basic game balance but we all know if they ever do that they won't actually change the design that mandated both CU and AR dominance in the first place, which will just make everyone miserable and content needlessly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just picked this up on the steam sale now. Any recommendations on picking an EU pvp server? (if there is such a thing)

Looks like the sale is pretty popular. My download has been sitting at 0 kb/s for almost an hour, so Steam's servers must be getting slammed.

• Locked thread