Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's a parking brake, not an emergency brake.

In what emergency situation would you want to pull the hand brake?

Pham Nuwen posted:

As my dad used to put it, "Is it an emergency? Then leave the emergency brake alone."

It's just important that you remember to leave the vehicle in gear, lest it roll down a slight incline and into a poplar tree. Or so I've been told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

nsaP posted:

In the UK they're teaching kids now to engage the parking brake at stop lights. FFS.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Backov posted:

In the UK they're teaching kids now to engage the parking brake at stop lights. FFS.

Yeah I did think that was odd on my car driving lessons, I do have a vague idea of how a clutch works...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I use it regularly to stop rollback on hills but gently caress it I live in CA, what the gently caress is salt or snow?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

The emergency is when the normal brakes don't work. That's why even bikes with linked brakes have two physically separate circuits because having redundant brakes is mandatory above a certain size vehicle.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

I use it regularly to stop rollback on hills but gently caress it I live in CA, what the gently caress is salt or snow?

No joke, I had a CA native in my MSF class ask me "why do you put salt on the road when it snows?"

e: Maybe it's not so weird, but I've lived in places that get covered in 6 feet of snow every winter for my whole life so it made me do a double take.

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 20, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

The emergency is when the normal brakes don't work. That's why even bikes with linked brakes have two physically separate circuits because having redundant brakes is mandatory above a certain size vehicle.

Yeah but that's not what it's for. It's for parking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah but that's not what it's for. It's for parking.

Uh...yes that is what it's for? As I just stated. It's helpful and useful and good for parking but that isn't what it's for, despite the name. Do you really think that with sophisticated automatic cars, which are able to lock the brakes on using esc when the car is switched off, anyone would put in a separate parking brake which is inferior to the other two systems holding the car still? The only reason any manufacturer builds them at all is because a completely separate braking system is legally mandatory.

Legalities are also the reason manufacturers have to jump through hoops when it comes to brake by wire and steer by wire.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Never use your parking brake and laugh when it doesn't work after awhile. The linkage and mechanism will rust up and be totally useless without use....

That said, the owners manual for my Mazda (go find an owners manual that calls it an emergency brake!) says to not use the parking brake in winter due to risk of the rear drums freezing up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone hurry up and crash already!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Uh...yes that is what it's for? As I just stated. It's helpful and useful and good for parking but that isn't what it's for, despite the name. Do you really think that with sophisticated automatic cars, which are able to lock the brakes on using esc when the car is switched off, anyone would put in a separate parking brake which is inferior to the other two systems holding the car still? The only reason any manufacturer builds them at all is because a completely separate braking system is legally mandatory.

Legalities are also the reason manufacturers have to jump through hoops when it comes to brake by wire and steer by wire.

You're still confused. It's a parking brake. It's primary function is being a brake to hold the vehicle while parked. You can use it in an emergency but that's not what it's for.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

M42 posted:

No joke, I had a CA native in my MSF class ask me "why do you put salt on the road when it snows?"

e: Maybe it's not so weird, but I've lived in places that get covered in 6 feet of snow every winter for my whole life so it made me do a double take.

It's not that weird, I've never even seen snow let alone lived in an area where I'd have to deal with that, and whenever I read about people having issues with salt on the road because of snow I think it's weird. Why not just let it melt and cruise on normally?

e: Regarding the handbrake;

We're taught to use it for hill starts, to put it on when you park (in manual cars I also leave it in gear). It's a redundancy. It can also be used (and my Mum has had to do it) when the normal brakes fail and you need to stop. I remember Mum was driving in Ipswich (small city) and had her brakes fail (she breaks everything car related, I swear) and engine braking wasn't enough to stop her, she had to lightly apply the handbrake in order to stop going through a set of traffic lights at the wrong time and getting cleaned up.

(I honestly can't believe people are discussing how useful/useless the handbrake is -_- )

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

You're still confused. It's a parking brake. It's primary function is being a brake to hold the vehicle while parked. You can use it in an emergency but that's not what it's for.

Ok. How can I articulate this.

The only, only reason your car has a parking brake (unless it's a manual) is the legal requirement stipulating a secondary braking system in basically every new vehicle market on the planet. It's primary function is to meet that legal requirement. It happens to be really great for parking, too. It's called a parking brake, but there are lots of things that are called something unrelated to their purpose.

I also haven't crashed my bike so I'll desist from posting about this in this thread now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This thread was better when it was people posting about their grotesque injuries and crashes.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Slavvy posted:

The only, only reason your car has a parking brake (unless it's a manual) is the legal requirement stipulating a secondary braking system in basically every new vehicle market on the planet. It's primary function is to meet that legal requirement. It happens to be really great for parking, too. It's called a parking brake, but there are lots of things that are called something unrelated to their purpose.

I also haven't crashed my bike so I'll desist from posting about this in this thread now.

I'm pretty sure you can't, or shouldnt, use an electric handbrake while in motion which makes your point completely moot.

You should also use it in an automatic, not rely on the parking paw.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I saw 25 unread posts and went :ohdear: who crashed now?

Then I saw the only wreck is the thread itself.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Slavvy posted:

In college I had a little 4 banger Honda Accord coupe that I treated like poo poo. I will tell you that regular use of the handbrake while in motion means a broken handbrake in about of a week or so. Can make for some fun high speed turns while it lasts though.

I imagine there's a sea of eclipse, civics, insert common cheap high school demographic manual trans car here, without a functional ebrake.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

n8r posted:

Are you a manufacturing engineer/consultant? I'd be interested to hear about how this works.

I used to be an IE with Brembo.

Granted the plant I worked in only made drums and rotors (yes, believe it or not Brembo makes drums... and minivan rotors...) so I can't comment on the hardware or the shoes.

The tooling and general cage setup (we used FANUC robotic arms to transfer parts between machining spindles) for both of them was identical. The castings came from the same foundry as well. Changing the line over from a disc to a drum was as difficult as changing it over to a different disc.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

hermand posted:

You should also use it in an automatic, not rely on the parking paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ah hand brake fights. My F150 has drum brakes in the rear, discs up front and big loving pedal I jam to the floor when I park it since its a manual and I dont have any power accessories at all. Im not relying on my engine and transmission being locked in gear to stop that bitch rolling away. Also it says "parking brake."

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

This thread was better when it was people posting about their grotesque injuries and crashes.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Crash Test... Us [For the love of god add content to this!]

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My Land Cruiser's parking brake is mounted on the transfer case

Probably hasn't worked since the Reagan era

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ITT people with manual transmissions that think a parking pawl on an automatic lasts forever..

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I promise I'll crash tomorrow so we can stop talking about parking brakes. I'll try and lose a limb.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Here let me help. So I picked up my new to me C14 Saturday Jun 8th. The tank was empty so my cousin and I went to gas up our bikes. He was on his mint '07 orange GSXR1k, I was on the Connie. I'm in full gear minus riding pants, he's in sneakers, shorts a t shirt and a helmet (squidly!). So we cruise real slow down to the gas station maybe 7 miles away. When we get there we both stop at the pump. I put my kickstand down and go to step off when the kickstand folds and I drop my bike, right on his gixxer. I felt it going and just rolled away, gently caress being caught under a 650lb+ bike. He walks over and picks it up like it's a toy and puts the kickstand back down for me. I get a really minor rash on the side case and my front tire just caught his rear tire. No real damage done except to my ego. Needless to say, I was a bit upset at having dropped my bike about 10 minutes after first getting on it. We laughed it off though and now I kick the stand before I put weight on it to ensure it's fully deployed.

It's not really a crash, but it's better than loving parking brake talk.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno, sounds like you'd benefit from a discussion about parking.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

:golfclap:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

I dunno, sounds like you'd benefit from a discussion about parking.

If I didn't nearly piss myself laughing over that I might have to slap you...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

hermand posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't, or shouldnt, use an electric handbrake while in motion which makes your point completely moot.

Incorrect. I've read a few manuals that specifically say "In an emergency situation, pull and hold the electronic parking brake switch. The vehicle will then perform an emergency stop."

How it achieves this without spinning the gently caress out is beyond me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ziploc posted:

Incorrect. I've read a few manuals that specifically say "In an emergency situation, pull and hold the electronic parking brake switch. The vehicle will then perform an emergency stop."

I wonder if the electronic parking brake is powerful enough to lock up the rear. I'd try it in my scoob if I wasn't afraid it would destroy the drivetrain.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Its entire purpose in life is to lock the wheels.

(HOW IS THIS CONVERSATION STILL GOING?)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I wonder if the electronic parking brake is powerful enough to lock up the rear. I'd try it in my scoob if I wasn't afraid it would destroy the drivetrain.
My friends used to yank the brake from the passenger seat in my legacy when we were stoned. For some reason it stopped working.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
The parking brake is actually the Layer Dan lever of cars. Discuss.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I had a friend once forget to layerdan his layerdan handle after a round of spirited driving, and his car almost rolled into mine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

I had a friend once forget to layerdan his layerdan handle after a round of spirited driving, and his car almost rolled into mine.
Why didn't he use the emergency brake?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

Why didn't he use the emergency brake?

Isn't that the layerdan handle? Also because he's dense, manual car, on a hill, not in gear, hot brakes cooling down = rolling car.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ziploc posted:

A handbrake in a car is not going to cause it to spin out uncontrollably, it's barely going to slow you down. In order to do a handbrake turn you've got to unsettle the car first then flick the handbrake to make it slide.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aargh posted:

A handbrake in a car is not going to cause it to spin out uncontrollably, it's barely going to slow you down.

A wiser man than me once called it the emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Took the 88 F250 out for a beer run. Half way down the long windy down hill driveway a harsh application of the brakes exploded the front left brake hose. A quick follow up with the E-Brake went straight to the floor without any resistance. Thinking through my options I dropped 'er down to R and dropped the hammer.

I loving love farm trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I don't own a motorcycle at the moment but I'm thinking about riding my byicle full speed into a wall just to get this thread back on topic.

Somewhat on topic: My knee still has some marks on it from where I got road rash a few months ago. Does minor road rash tend to leave permanent battle scars or will I eventually be able to resume my career as a professional shorts model.

• Locked thread