Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's an actual old-timey lift known as the continental clean. It's still being performed in the most awful way imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Holy gently caress why are people letting them do that, and what's with switching from neutral grip to palms-down in the middle of the lift?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I think the people that ran the Crossfit gym in Okinawa would've actually attacked the coaches in the video. Even the slightest amount of improper form was enough to piss them off.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's an actual old-timey lift known as the continental clean. It's still being performed in the most awful way imaginable.

Yeah. The continental clean is supposed to be cleaned up to your gut/belt, and then to the rack position. If you don't have a gut or belt, you have to lean way back like an idiot to get it.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

APFT a few weeks after I get back from mission. At least this time the unit was nice enough to give me more than a few days and an advance warning before my PT test. My last one I scored a 250ish 3days after I arrived back in garrison and had a day warning after I did legs the night I came back, and chest the day after. 80 push ups, 65 sit ups, and a 16:20 run. Went down on my sit up and run but not too bad considering the circumstances.

I haven't done any sort of cardio this mission. Just been digging holes for a hour or two a day and lifting weights after work to maintain. When I get back I need to get into a cardio heavy routine. I'm thinking of just doing 30/60's 3x a week and doing a hour of some low impact cardio before I lift. That should get me ready within 4-5 weeks right? Hopefully to get my score back up to 270+.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Beat my 277 or I'll mock you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Last PT score was a cool 255, which I'm pretty sure was like the 6th highest score in the company. :chord:

So anyway, after a May where it was in the 30s on some nights and barely got above 70 most days, the weather this past week just decided to start being hot again. Needless to say, when I encountered 95 degrees and 75% humidity during my run yesterday afternoon it kicked my rear end. Time to start heat conditioning.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I had a 281 3 weeks after sitting in a tank for a month at NTC.

I took 34 seconds off my 1 mile split for a 6:20 mile. Running is still gay though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm at a national chain gym that doesn't have a single flat bench in it. No barbells. Only dumbells.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm at a national chain gym that doesn't have a single flat bench in it. No barbells. Only dumbells.

Planet Fitness

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Planet Fitness

Yup. Will not be purchasing a one month pass from them. Will not be returning either. I haven't lifted in forever and had no energy today, yet I still was maxed out on dumbells with their flat bench.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Aren't the heaviest weights there to rule out lunkheads or something?

"excuse me sir, but these 60 lb dumbbells are NOT supposed to be used in this gym.. please grab your free bagel and leave this facility. "

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AHEM they had up to 75 lbs dumbbells.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't really get their marketing strategy. All of the gyms I've been to have the free weight section separated from the machine section and cardio section so that the casual workout crew doesn't have to deal with the roid-machines if they don't want to.

On a side note, I really need to join a spin class because oh my god the asses.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Honestly, everyone should save their dollars and buy a good power cage, oly bar, ez bar, plates, and idk some not-terribly-lovely dialable dumbbells. If you have the space there's no excuse, and you'll probably save a ton of money and time.

also I have yet to go to a gym with enough cages or at least people who don't just do one set then wait 10 minutes texting and lounging around before their next set. These are almost always the same people wearing stupid cut off t-shirts yelling and slamming weights around like dumbfucks.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Go to the gym on base or stop posting you part time faggots.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

I don't really get their marketing strategy. All of the gyms I've been to have the free weight section separated from the machine section and cardio section so that the casual workout crew doesn't have to deal with the roid-machines if they don't want to.

On a side note, I really need to join a spin class because oh my god the asses.

It's not a gym. It's a place where moms can go drink their iced coffee while walking a 1 mile an hour pace on the treadmill while she she complains to her friend how much of a shithead her kid's friend's mother is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good gyms do exist. They tend to be mom and pop ones. But yea it's way cheaper to spend 1500 or so on a cage, decent barbell, weights, and whatever you want for a garage set up.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Go to the gym on base or stop posting you part time faggots.

pretty much every base gym is full of faggots and their disgusting fat rear end dependents.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

TheUnhorse posted:

pretty much every base gym is full of faggots and their disgusting fat rear end dependents.

So yeah, spend money at planet fitness!

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

So yeah, spend money at planet fitness!

what are you even doing i have a garage setup

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Do you do curls in your squat rack?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PF caters to fatties. There's no doubt about it. If you really want to lift, a prerequisite is actually having real weight.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

80 push ups
76 sit ups
16:34 run.

gently caress. A score of 258. I really really have to start doing cardio. Just got back from Laos, did a practice APFT to see where I'm at. Not too bad with absolutely no running for 45 days.

I lost about 12 pounds on the mission and was told by everyone I look like I slimmed down like crazy and have a pencil neck now. Have another mission in a few weeks to S.E Asia and trying to gain atleast 2-3 pounds of muscle back. Trying to do a 5000 calories a day that consist of 5 meals of chicken breast, salmon, canned chicken/tuna and protein shakes. loving going on missions every other month is destroying my APFT score but hey, atleast I'm still in better shape than my fat rear end of a LTC.

vains
May 26, 2004

Good gyms do exist. They tend to be mom and pop ones. But yea it's way cheaper to spend 1500 or so on a cage, decent barbell, weights, and whatever you want for a garage set up.

No, its not. It would take 4 years at 29.99/mo before you begin seeing any savings and you wouldn't have 1/4 of the equipment a decent gym has.

So close to being obese.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I move too often to justify owning gym equipment.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Kaliber posted:

80 push ups
76 sit ups
16:34 run.

gently caress. A score of 258. I really really have to start doing cardio. Just got back from Laos, did a practice APFT to see where I'm at. Not too bad with absolutely no running for 45 days.

I lost about 12 pounds on the mission and was told by everyone I look like I slimmed down like crazy and have a pencil neck now. Have another mission in a few weeks to S.E Asia and trying to gain atleast 2-3 pounds of muscle back. Trying to do a 5000 calories a day that consist of 5 meals of chicken breast, salmon, canned chicken/tuna and protein shakes. loving going on missions every other month is destroying my APFT score but hey, atleast I'm still in better shape than my fat rear end of a LTC.

I've always hated running, but lately I've been able to run fast as gently caress for a long time. I started making my platoon sprint the straight aways and jog the corner on a quarter mile track for 3 miles. Everyone, including myself, has taken a minute (or more) off of their run. I do running in my spare time too, but now I (gasp) actually like running I think.

What accessory exercises are good for pull ups? I can knock out a set of 10 deadhangs and then that's it. It's done.

vains
May 26, 2004

Ashmole posted:

What accessory exercises are good for pull ups? I can knock out a set of 10 deadhangs and then that's it. It's done.

More pullups.

Lat pulldowns, bicep and grip work will help somewhat. Really, the best way to do more pullups is to do more pullups. It's not really rocket surgery here. Think about what sort of motions and muscles are involved in doing a pullup and then think about what other exercises will work out those muscles.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Veins McGee posted:

More pullups.

Really, the best way to do more pullups is to do more pullups.

Only relevant parts of this post.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Much like the only way to get better at running is more running.

vains
May 26, 2004

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Only relevant parts of this post.

The one weird trick that this mom uses to do more pullups

psydude posted:

Much like the only way to get better at running is more running.

The only reason to run is so you look good for your boyfriend.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

The only reason to run is so you look good for your boyfriend.

I always knew there was a reason why marines do a 5k.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

No, its not. It would take 4 years at 29.99/mo before you begin seeing any savings and you wouldn't have 1/4 of the equipment a decent gym has.

So close to being obese.

Who uses every bit of equipment a gym has and what gym only charges 30/mo? I pay 50 for an old school powerlifting/bodybuilder gym and that's ridiculously low.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

133 is the low end of normal for a 5'11" male? :stare: That's almost concentration-camp weight.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Who uses every bit of equipment a gym has and what gym only charges 30/mo? I pay 50 for an old school powerlifting/bodybuilder gym and that's ridiculously low.

I pay 20 bucks, and I could pay 10 if I didn't want a free guest pass every time I go. My gym has everything, but it's small and it smells bad and sometimes it's way too crowded. 20 bucks is pretty sweet though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's ridiculous and a decent deal. How is the place off-hours? I usually go around 12-2 to avoid crowds here.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
It's open 24 hours except Friday/Saturday nights. Sometimes I go around 630-7 in the morning and it's pretty empty. The peak times run from like 1 PM to 9 PM though. Used to be a Golds, now it's called Max Fitness. http://www.maxfitnesscolorado.com/ Nothing about the price on there, but trust me it's a real thing. I didn't even pay a membership fee to join because I was military at the time. It's in a stripmall next to a K-Mart and caters largely to roided up freaks and fat ladies. Lots of fat ladies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fat ladies are everywhere. I lift at Quads Gym which is like the Midwestern equivalent to Gold's back in the 70's. It's home to most any competitive lifter traveling in the area for a meet plus some professional athletes. There are some big rear end bodybuilders here.

That doesn't totally stop the gym idiocy like people squatting on half bosu balls or anything.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Being able to use the cable machines is totally loving worth the $50 a month I pay for my gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you live somewhere extremely expensive? I pay $25/mo for Golds in the DC area. That includes all of the equipment and classes.