Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

You have to a pay a hefty sum for Tales of vesperia on the 360, not Xenoblade money but it's up there.

Its available for Digital Download in the US for like, 20 or 30 bucks. Thats not hefty at all and easy as hell to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

You have to a pay a hefty sum for Tales of vesperia on the 360, not Xenoblade money but it's up there.

25$ on Amazon is a hefty sum?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Tales is a digital title.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

25$ on Amazon is a hefty sum?
I clicked on Limited Edition, my mistake. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

If you're recommending 360 games, why would you recommend Star Ocean 4 over Tales of Vesperia?

They have similar combat systems, but one is actually a good game.

I have never played a Tales Of game. Plus I don't actually have a 360. I played SO4 for the PS3 and I only know it's a multi console title because I heard the 360 got the normal version but not the International one I played. Still wondering about Square's hosed up priorities on that one - release an International version of a game from a third string franchise in the United States but don't ?release FFX-2 or FFXII International in the US. What the hell.

Been meaning to play the Tales games for a while but I'm moving in a few months so that kinda takes priority right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I have never played a Tales Of game. Plus I don't actually have a 360. I played SO4 for the PS3 and I only know it's a multi console title because I heard the 360 got the normal version but not the International one I played. Still wondering about Square's hosed up priorities on that one - release an International version of a game from a third string franchise in the United States but don't ?release FFX-2 or FFXII International in the US. What the hell.

Been meaning to play the Tales games for a while but I'm moving in a few months so that kinda takes priority right now.

While SO4 is a mediocre (if not outright terrible) game, Tales of Vesperia's pretty great and has the combat system that SO4 makes a half-assed attempt to copy while excluding one of the biggest upsides to it including co-op gameplay. Playing through Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube with 3 other people was worlds better than playing it solo. The difficulty is a fair bit lower with actual people instead of AI though, especially once you've got timing down and chain combos/spells one after another.

To the other guy: Don't play SO4, avoid it like the plague. Grab Tales of Vesperia. If you have a Wii grab Xenoblade Chronicles as well because it's amazing and the game Monolith Soft is making for the WiiU looks like it's only going to improve upon what they've started.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well most, if not all, of the Tales games have their music done by Motoi Sakuraba. So you'll get great music with Vasperia too. I tried SO4 at least partly just because of Sakuraba. Been in love with that guy ever since Baten Kaitos.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Star Ocean 4 is the only 0% entry in my trophy list. I should probably sell it or something.

That guy wanted 360 RPGs, but what are the good PS3 RPGs? I didn't pay much attention this gen so I'm out of the loop. I have FFXIII & sequel, the Disgaeas and Resonance of Fate.

Peel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 20, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tales of Graces is the best game ever and I will hear no one say otherwise.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

Star Ocean 4 is the only 0% entry in my trophy list. I should probably sell it or something.

That guy wanted 360 RPGs, but what are the good PS3 RPGs? I didn't pay much attention this gen so I'm out of the loop. I have FFXIII & sequel, the Disgaeas and Resonance of Fate.

I've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles. I haven't played it but I'm thinking of getting it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

I've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles. I haven't played it but I'm thinking of getting it.

Valkyria Chronicles undulates between a fun if very simple tactical RPG to an absurdly difficult trap battle RPG and then back. The story is also anime World War 1 where it starts semi-realistic and then all semblance of reality dies around mission 10 and the full anime is unleashed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peel posted:

Nier is incredible if you can deal with some clunky gameplay. Ni No Kuni is incredible, period. The port of Eternal Sonata made the plot slightly less batshit insane, but it's still peak JRPG, so your mileage may greatly vary.

e: poo poo, how did I forget Valkyria Chronicles, I loved that game

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I actually didn't think of Valkyria Chronicles due to not classifying it as an RPG, but I already have that too.

I think it's worth giving a try.

e: that the PC supertank is just a T-34 in a world of terrible interwar contraptions is also the best thing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd only recommend it if your anime tolerance is fairly high. Having a ~*beach episode*~ juxtaposed with concentration camp scenes might be too much for some people.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The beach thing is entirely optional though. Not even optional, it costs a lot of money to access when it becomes available, it's actually in your best interest to skip it.

The first Valkyria Chronicles is actually pretty lowkey, relatively speaking. Play it, it owns.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Back on Final Fantasy X for a moment, I guess another big flaw of it is the whole "Tidus is a dream" twist. It definitely comes out of left field and it's really not addressed much afterward. I mean, it's brought up right before Yuna is supposed to die so naturally that took center stage in the story but even afte that Tidus doesn't talk or think much about how he's gonna cease to exist even if they win. The whole thing is just poorly executed.

I also never really "got" the Fayth's explanation. Tidus and Jecht became "real" by coming in contact with Sin is what it says but remember that Tidus saw his mom on the Farplane and she never was "real." Maybe it's something lost in translation but the whole thing just makes me scratch my head every time I replay the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Back on Final Fantasy X for a moment, I guess another big flaw of it is the whole "Tidus is a dream" twist. It definitely comes out of left field and it's really not addressed much afterward. I mean, it's brought up right before Yuna is supposed to die so naturally that took center stage in the story but even afte that Tidus doesn't talk or think much about how he's gonna cease to exist even if they win. The whole thing is just poorly executed.

Err, what? They spend most of the game building up to it. Basically the entire pilgrimage is building up to "here is how Fayths work."

NikkolasKing posted:

I also never really "got" the Fayth's explanation. Tidus and Jecht became "real" by coming in contact with Sin is what it says but remember that Tidus saw his mom on the Farplane and she never was "real." Maybe it's something lost in translation but the whole thing just makes me scratch my head every time I replay the game.

Rikku explains this pretty clearly. The Spirians believe that the Farplane is where spirits go. The Al Bhed believe it is just Pyreflies reacting to people's memories to create an illusionary version of that person. This is, by the way, more foreshadowing for Tidus because that is pretty much exactly what Tidus is on a larger scale. Even the fake version of Seymour's dad that escaped can be explained in this way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 20, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

That's because the farplane does not actually show dead people's spirits, it's reacting to the person that's staring into it and creates an illusion.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Momomo posted:

That's because the farplane does not actually show dead people's spirits, it's reacting to the person that's staring into it and creates an illusion.

That's never said as fact, it's just Rikku giving her own interpretation on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

That's never said as fact, it's just Rikku giving her own interpretation on it.

Yes, but as we find out later, that is what Tidus and the Fayths are on a larger scale, so it's got a fair bit of weight to it. They are people's thoughts turned into physical forms by manipulating the Pyreflies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fayth are explained to be the souls of the dead trapped in statues and that's how Yuna and other Summoners can create big monsters. Maybe it's because I was young and really stupid when I first beat the game but I never interpreted that explanation as meaning they made a giant fake city and fake people to go with it.

I mean yeah, you're wondering what is up with the little kid in the hood who keeps popping up but how does that hint at Tidus not existing?

ImpAtom posted:

Rikku explains this pretty clearly. The Spirians believe that the Farplane is where spirits go. The Al Bhed believe it is just Pyreflies reacting to people's memories to create an illusionary version of that person. This is, by the way, more foreshadowing for Tidus because that is pretty much exactly what Tidus is on a larger scale. Even the fake version of Seymour's dad that escaped can be explained in this way.

Maechen addresses this if you talk to him in Guadosalam. No living person has ever showed up on the Farplane. If it is simple thought construction, why can't you think of your friend on teh other side of the planet and have the Pyreflies take on his form?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 20, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Basically it's ambiguous. Is it the afterlife or at the very least where the souls of the dead can visit the living? Or is it just an illusion?

The game never really confirms one way or another.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Dr Pepper posted:

Basically it's ambiguous. Is it the afterlife or at the very least where the souls of the dead can visit the living? Or is it just an illusion?

The game never really confirms one way or another.

I'm pretty sure it's a little of both, as no person can show up in the Farplane unless they're truly dead, whether the observer knows this fact or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Fayth are explained to be the souls of the dead trapped in statues and that's how Yuna and other Summoners can create big monsters. Maybe it's because I was young and really stupid when I first beat the game but I never interpreted that explanation as meaning they made a giant fake city and fake people to go with it.

I mean yeah, you're wondering what is up with the little kid in the hood who keeps popping up but how does that hint at Tidus not existing?

Fayth are not dead. They're living bodies trapped in stone statues with their souls removed. (Which is, yes, incredibly horrible.) The fact that they're alive but not in their bodies is kind of essential to how they work. (This is also why Yu Yevon can move right in.) They are minds shaping pyreflies for someone else to control.

FFX's worldsetting is built around Pyreflies basically being the basic building block of everything. That is why the Sending even needs to exist. For whatever reason, when someone dies their Pyreflies start becoming malleable and the really angry ones who don't get sent turn into monsters. That is why every monster you fight in the game which isn't a robot dissolves into Pyreflies upon being defeated.

There's certain some element of a "soul" there but Pyreflies being shaped by human thought is basically the building point of the setting. Tidus being a summon is pretty much what they spend a lot of time building up the setting to reveal. They even drop plenty of hints he isn't an Unsent or anything because he sure isn't collapsing every time he comes near a Sending like Auron does.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 20, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Fayth are not dead. They're living bodies trapped in stone statues with their souls removed. (Which is, yes, incredibly horrible.) The fact that they're alive but not in their bodies is kind of essential to how they work. (This is also why Yu Yevon can move right in.) They are minds shaping pyreflies for someone else to control.

FFX's worldsetting is built around Pyreflies basically being the basic building block of everything. That is why the Sending even needs to exist. For whatever reason, when someone dies their Pyreflies start becoming malleable and the really angry ones who don't get sent turn into monsters. That is why every monster you fight in the game which isn't a robot dissolves into Pyreflies upon being defeated.

There's certain some element of a "soul" there but Pyreflies being shaped by human thought is basically the building point of the setting.

All of this is making me want to boot up FFX again, even if only just to hear the absolutely flawless soundtrack, which leaves me more in awe of it each time I listen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So does X-2 ever mention what happens to dead people now that there are no more summoners to perform the sending? They might've let the summons rest once and for all, but the pyreflies still seem to exist.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

With Sin not killing people anymore, I imagine there aren't nearly as many sudden deaths that produce anger and rage that caused ghosts to turn into fiends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

So does X-2 ever mention what happens to dead people now that there are no more summoners to perform the sending? They might've let the summons rest once and for all, but the pyreflies still seem to exist.

Not that I recall. It's kind of a giant plothole in that people go on about how Summoners aren't necessary anymore but there's really no reason that would be true considering monsters still exist. The best you can assume is that Sin not being around means less people are turning into angry ghosts.

The best we get is that Shinra talks about harnessing that poo poo for energy.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure they touch on it by saying that the Farplane is now expanding at an alarming rate, to the point where it'll engulf the world if they don't figure a way to stop it or something. It's been a while, I'm waiting to replay both games til the HD remake comes out.

Speaking of, any release date yet?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There's certain some element of a "soul" there but Pyreflies being shaped by human thought is basically the building point of the setting. Tidus being a summon is pretty much what they spend a lot of time building up the setting to reveal. They even drop plenty of hints he isn't an Unsent or anything because he sure isn't collapsing every time he comes near a Sending like Auron does.

Maybe like SlenderWhore I need to replay the game. I did forget about a few of those details.

What I don't like is how FFX-2 made all of this FFVII like with the Farplane basically being the Lifestream. I never got the impression from FFX that the Farplane was the core of the planet and full of soul energy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Not that I recall. It's kind of a giant plothole in that people go on about how Summoners aren't necessary anymore but there's really no reason that would be true considering monsters still exist. The best you can assume is that Sin not being around means less people are turning into angry ghosts.

Yuna does perform a sending in X-2, so presumably the summoners will still be doing a few of those, it just doesn't come up near as often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

What I don't like is how FFX-2 made all of this FFVII like with the Farplane basically being the Lifestream. I never got the impression from FFX that the Farplane was the core of the planet and full of soul energy.

Well, the Pyreflies are based on Japanese mythology. You know how in older Final Fantasies, you'll see ghosts or spirits appear as burning balls of fire? Same basic idea. They're not one-for-one as clearly Pyreflies are swarms of things but you're supposed to get some kind of spiritual impression from them. It being the core of the planet/The Lifestream is FFX-2 mostly tho'.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe like SlenderWhore I need to replay the game. I did forget about a few of those details.

Yes, blame X-2 for being like VII when the first game had Shinra. The games are intentionally derivative.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shinra was in X? Where?

X-2 is the game that actually established FFVII and FFX take place in the same univerrse. It's spelled out in the X-2 Ultimania.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And really, it's dumb. It was totally just a little in joke like Final Fantasy does a billion times and I refuse to accept otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

And really, it's dumb. It was totally just a little in joke like Final Fantasy does a billion times and I refuse to accept otherwise.

This right here. I love both X and VII but they do not need to share a universe and are weaker stories for doing so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I agree. Nojima just wanted to connect his two little pets. He's an okay writer and all but I don't like when creators try to connect continuities like that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't see how the ghost of Seymour's dad "confirms" that it's all just pyreflies reacting to memories. First, whose memory would have summoned Seymour's dad (pretty sure Seymour wasn't in that scene, since he'd already left for the next temple)? Even if it was someone's memory summoning it, why was it desperately trying to escape the Farplane to warn people about Seymour (since nobody knew Seymour was evil or that he had killed his father)? And if it was just a group of pyreflies reacting to a memory, why and how was it carrying a recording Sphere revealing Seymour's crimes? If anything, Seymour's dad's ghost indicates that the Farplane is not just a bunch of illusions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't see how the ghost of Seymour's dad "confirms" that it's all just pyreflies reacting to memories. First, whose memory would have summoned Seymour's dad (pretty sure Seymour wasn't in that scene, since he'd already left for the next temple)? Even if it was someone's memory summoning it, why was it desperately trying to escape the Farplane to warn people about Seymour (since nobody knew Seymour was evil or that he had killed his father)? And if it was just a group of pyreflies reacting to a memory, why and how was it carrying a recording Sphere revealing Seymour's crimes? If anything, Seymour's dad's ghost indicates that the Farplane is not just a bunch of illusions.

They're not illusions in that they don't exist, as Pyreflies create physical things.. They're illusionary in that they're constructed by human thought, living or dead. The "or dead" part is pretty important and is the reason why Seymour's dad actually does things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Going back to what I said about Nojima being an okay writer, I was trying to think of who I considered the best writer in the series. Matsuno is the only really correct choice but then I realized that I only know the writers for the 3D FFs. Kitase, NOjima, Watanabe, Toriyama. I have no idea who wrote FFIV or FFVI.

But yeah, Matsuno is almost always brought up when talking about the best writing or stories in JRPGs. I only know him from FFXII and that was only partly his wok but by god was it great.