Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Note the nearby Rose Garden, Japanese Tea Garden and Chinese Pavilion. Not pictured, but within these bounds is the Shakespeare Garden.

I was part of a group that scouted GGP the other weekend and we found no matches in the Japanese Tea Garden, Chinese Pavilion/Strawberry Hill, or Rose Garden. The Shakespeare garden had an arched brick window but no bars and nothing else that triggered a match. The linked post includes a shitload of pictures, some of which I hope may spark some ideas in others.

The biggest win was a firm confirmation that the table leg is a silhouette of the lamp poles in GGP, which was nice, but we're still left with over 1,000 acres of park.

TheLastManStanding posted:

the Cable Car (which is the outline of that table post).

I'd enjoy seeing proof of that. :colbert:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The legeater was a cast, possibly somewhat mass produced thing. It's not a sculpture. I'd be very curious to see if there's any others in Montreal, St. Louis, or elsewhere.

One thing I will give people from Q4T is that they haven't given up on other locations. Some people still seem to strongly believe the "montreal" image is StL, and some believe there is one in Vancouver, or at least did.

The picture I initially snapped of the 4 is from below and to the left, which I think is strongly accentuating the curve. It's above head height, it's above a door, so about 12-15 feet off the ground as memory serves (the door is up about 3-5 stairs, then the 4 is above it). The initial picture was taken to MMS to a friend, not for posting, so I think a better heads on look will remove some of the questions. Might as well wait until friday, I didn't manage to get any good pictures of the church with my iPhone 4.

And yeah, the 4 is 'the 4' because goddamn a lot of clues line up there. There are probably other 4s that match up, definitely in the US, possibly in Boston. This is significantly more promising than Charlesgate, and considering the Legeater was matched 5+ years ago and literally nothing has come of it, I don't feel like there's any hyperbole calling this the best lead since then, visually speaking.

xie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 20, 2013

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If the 4 and 2 make 42, which is the longitude of Boston, then the 4 has already been accounted for and there's not even any guarantee that it will exist as a visual clue.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Volte posted:

If the 4 and 2 make 42, which is the longitude of Boston, then the 4 has already been accounted for and there's not even any guarantee that it will exist as a visual clue.
There is absolutely nothing that states that, even if it is the longitude. The 4 never really occurred to me as a clue until I saw it, I thought the same as you did. Also, it's pretty small in the book. We're all familiar with it & looking at scans that are much larger than the book.

It's visually distinct from the rest of the photo in a very striking way. Everything else in the image is curvy and swoopy. Again, if were a 4 on some building 2 miles away that we were shoehorning the verse into, I'd be skeptical.

Doubly again, nothing is solved. People in Houston (and FL) believe they have the park narrowed down and still have not found diddly squat.

xie fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 20, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Ug. So if Preiss used 'wonderstone' to mean any drat jewel, that sets the Milwaukee clue back a bit.

If it's amethyst, possible countries for 'wonderstone's hearth' would be Brazil, Greece, Austria, Russia, South Korea, and who knows where else Preiss referenced in '82.

But that's just going off the 'two balls = February = Amethyst' conjecture, ignoring the blue qualities of the pictured gem. (Though no portrait has a purple gem, so I don't think the amethyst proposition is necessarily wrong.) Blue topaz is found in a buttload of countries, I'll assume the aquamarine was effectively taken out of the picture by the Cleveland discovery,
and I'm pretty sure the one in portrait 6 is a star sapphire, taking that out of the picture.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 23, 2016

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Not a single one of those actually matches. If it were one or two, maybe.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'll buy Alcatraz. The rest look pretty dodgy to me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 23, 2016

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If you look at the front of a cable car (example) it has a decent resemblance to the outline in the illustration. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than any posts we've found.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.
Houston

I took another walk through Hermann Park. I got some more good information about the area. When I got home, I figured out how to get the aerial photographs to work in Google Earth.

Here's 1989:

Someone posted a screenshot of that before and pointed out the steam engine in the bottom right corner. I don't think anyone pointed out the built up area directly opposite of the steam engine. Something was there from at least 1953 until at least 1995. After that, the lake was extended, and that spot was destroyed in the process

Here's 2002:

So why am I so concerned about this? Here's a horrible mock-up of my theory:

Start at the train, go through the "woods", step across the small bridge (the only one that was there at the time), go to this mystery area, get to the spot to dig. Where do you dig? "In the center of four alike" near a sign that has the three "winged" Houston Parks and Recreation Department leaf logo. Dig with your back to the steam engine, so that you can look back from the treasure ground and see it behind the water spout.

I know I'm basing this on a ton of assumptions, including:

1. There was something significant in that spot, and 4 things that were "alike".
2. The HPARD logo been a three-part leaf since before the 1980s.
3. There was a water spout in the lake back then.

I don't think it's in another park. Aside from the obvious 982 connection, the proportions of the sphere and the column match up exactly with the reflecting pool and the Sam Houston monument circle. I know this theory means that it's impossible to find it now, but it's all I have at the moment.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
I've been working on Milwaukee for the past week or two, logging a zillion hours in Google maps and Wikipedia, trying to make sense of Verse 8. Is there anything beyond the mention of "Mitchell" that's making everyone think that Verse 8 is absolutely Milwaukee? Like, were verse 8 and Milwaukee image printed next to each other in the book?

It's not that I have a better suggestion. Just second guessing after hitting an awful lot of dead ends.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Captain Morose posted:

I've been working on Milwaukee for the past week or two, logging a zillion hours in Google maps and Wikipedia, trying to make sense of Verse 8. Is there anything beyond the mention of "Mitchell" that's making everyone think that Verse 8 is absolutely Milwaukee? Like, were verse 8 and Milwaukee image printed next to each other in the book?

It's not that I have a better suggestion. Just second guessing after hitting an awful lot of dead ends.

Not really, no.

And to add to the frustration, both the Chicago and Cleveland finds were not 'simple' once they figured out the location; Chicago had to get a photograph from Preiss of the burial spot after they unearthed nothing but underground pipes, and in Cleveland the guy dug around for over 5 hours after thinking he had the exact spot pinpointed.

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW

Abugadu posted:

Not really, no.

And to add to the frustration, both the Chicago and Cleveland finds were not 'simple' once they figured out the location; Chicago had to get a photograph from Preiss of the burial spot after they unearthed nothing but underground pipes, and in Cleveland the guy dug around for over 5 hours after thinking he had the exact spot pinpointed.

If this is true then maybe Preiss is a jerk-off that made his clues so badly that no one will ever find them without some hints from the author himself or tearing up a location with back hoes and bulldozers.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Abugadu posted:

Not really, no.

According to the guy who found the Chicago casque, they sent Preiss a photo of the location which at the time was undergoing renovation, and was covered with some sort of temporary concrete thing.

He told them that the casque was theirs after renovations ended. I'm not sure if they further drilled down the spot via photos, or this is the famous "asking for help" we refer to. Preiss also (in the book) said that you can send in a photo of your solution as well, so if they had the right spot they were following the rules as stated.

Another interesting note about Chicago is that they mis-solved some of the verse. "Where M and B are set in stone" refers to Mozart & Beethoven on a building about a block away (confirmed by Preiss), but they didn't get that at all, and took it to mean "Man and Beast." They thought it was a statue, and in the Q4T thread the finder argues the point for a while.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Houston

I know I'm basing this on a ton of assumptions, including:

3. There was a water spout in the lake back then.

We have pretty well confirmed that there was not, in fact, a water spout in McGovern Lake in 1982 (I think somebody said it was added in the early 2000s or something).

omgular
Jan 17, 2007
Cask 11 - Boston

I apologize if this has been posted before, or if it's a bit too much of a stretch, or if it's not important, but I keep seeing a 7 in the woman's hair.

Also, would it be helpful at all if I went through the thread and compiled all the visual clues that have been pointed out so far and overlaid them on the images side by side with the original? I feel like it can be a bit confusing seeing all these disparate references over 60 pages. I'll try to keep it limited to those with pretty high veracity.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
I find it hilarious the most concrete clue I've seen so far, the matching 4s, is being disputed so readily. It's an established fact that the artist worked from polaroids and that the columns in one of the solved casks had an extremely similar visual margin of error. Meanwhile the "look at this aerial imagery of this footpath and *squint real hard*" are popping up all over (not just Smurf) instead of working on some common effort. I admit I somewhat did this with the Tranquility Park offshoot (though there were more visual clues), but I definitely want to see more recon at Hermann first. Perhaps someone could track down old blueprints and whatnot to get a better idea of what changes happened and when.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone disputing the 4 doesn't understand perspective and foreshortening or thinks they do but doesn't. Like it may not actually BE a match, but I mean that would be because of coincidence not because its not a visual match between object and image.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Her sleeve has a "1105" on it, with maybe a "2" above the hem of the fairy's dress.

The same digits have previously been suggested as a reversed Boston zip code, 02115, seen by the flower.

This includes the Victory Gardens.

Fenway Victory Gardens
15 Park Dr.,
Boston MA 02115

quote:

The Fenway Victory Gardens in Boston, Massachusetts, is the oldest surviving victory garden in the United States. The Fenway gardens were established in 1942

quote:

Let our land in truth be free,
And no longer Slavery's curse
Blast the land of Liberty.
On to victory!

http://memory.loc.gov/rbc/amss/as1/as109860/001q.gif

BJG fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 20, 2013

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

What's interesting here is that he very specifically applies the word "wonderstone" to the 12 jewels, so maybe he's not referring to rhyolite at all. Maybe he's referring to the jewel that's specific to Milwaukee, the amethyst.

HAHAHA! - holy poo poo, the word "amethyst" derives from Greek and means "not drunken," because the jewel was thought to prevent intoxication. There is no more fitting jewel for Milwaukee and its beer-guzzling citizens.

Anyway, I think we should be aware that the word "wonderstone" could apply to either rhyolite or the amethyst.

I'm getting that now, after reading the introduction and more from the book scans (via flickr) seen above. I feel stupid, not having read the book so to speak. In doing so, I came to a great truth--there are *13* jewels from 13 countries involved here. The first 12 come from European countries (or made up old world counterparts like "Hellas" (Greece) and "Cathay" (China)) when out of the blue a mysterious contingent of 'Fair People' with a dragon show up with a pearl. That painting and verse ends up being #1 and #7--San Francisco.

So each painting/verse ends up relating to a country, a birthstone and birthflower, a month, and a city in the New World that has been influenced by said country (think: Charleston, SC by African-Americans--Painting #2 Verse (possibly) #5). I'm sure early in this thread or another this was all addressed and I didn't see it. I'm beginning to feel that internet forum ideas are making this more complicated than it really was.

I'll post all the matchups later by the criteria above, but essentially here is the problem--when all other paintings/verses are used up, there are two Country/birthstone-flower/months* left over which can belong to Painting 10v.8 -- both France and Germany. What bugged me here was the gemstone; everyone said "oh yeah, they must have colored it wrong but its supposed to be an amethyst". But it's not. If Milwaukee was heavily influenced by Germans and French alike (Solomon Juneau was French by way of Canada), and the birthflower of December of Holly/Narcissus looks suspiciously like Primrose of February--can't it be both? Could those juggling balls be red 'balls of holly' (falalalalah...)?

In another appendix of the book, one of the "fair people" is the Maitre D'aemon based in Wisconsin (and D.C.), and in a newspaper interview Preiss confirmed this creature was spotted here. And the creature was French.

**So..."A letter from the country Of Wonderstone's hearth."

In the book, wonderstone is used as a term for gems the creatures cared about so much. All of these gems were made by Viking Elves. In Juneau Park, there is a statue of Leif Ericson--credited and posed as discoverer of the New World. As they say in Raiders of the Lost Ark--"they're digging in the wrong place" (?)

blurradial fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 20, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

blurradial posted:

I'll post all the matchups later by the criteria above

They were posted by Nesetril, and there's no doubt about them.

Nesetril posted:

CASK CITY MONTH GEM FLOWER MONTH FROM
C1 - San Francisco JUN pearl rose clock
C2 - Charleston APR diamond daisy clock
C3 - Roanoke JAN garnet carnation clock
C4 - Cleveland MAR aquamarine daffodil? triangle
C5 - Chicago MAY emerald lily otv warts
C6 - St. Augustine SEP sapphire aster flowers
C7 - New Orleans DEC turquoise narcissus clock
C8 - Houston JUL ruby larkspur? columns
C9 - Montreal OCT opal calendula 'X' OR steps
C10 - Milwaukee FEB amethyst primrose apples
C11 - Boston AUG peridot gladiolus metal frame?
C12 - NYC NOV topaz chrysanth. clock

...use the litany to get the country from the gem...

quote:

THE LITANY OF THE JEWELS

What are the treasures the Fair Folk bring?
Easily named, and lovingly told:
Fairies of England proudly bear
Garnet, crown-jewel of their Queen. ---- (P3)
Brilliant as eyes of Celtic folk,
Cold morning green, their Emerald. ---- (P5)
The Hadas of Iberia:
Sapphire, shy as a wild field flower. ---- (P6)
Turquoise the Fays of France keep: stone
Rare as a blue midsummer's day. ---- (P7)
Dwarves' treasure: purple Amethyst,
Imperial star of Germany. ---- (P10)
The Opal of the Lowland Gnomes:
A cloud of shining, shifting smoke. ---- (P9)
A Topaz is the Russian prize:
The royal sunstone, frozen fire. ---- (P12)
Peridot of old Italy:
Antique, and olivine, and rich. ---- (P11)
The Ruby out of Araby:
Scarlet of desert sky at dawn. ---- (P8 )
Africa's Diamond, earth-born star,
Bright harvest of the midnight rock. ---- (P2)
The Nymphs of Hellas cherish sweet
Aquamarine, spring-water clear. ---- (P4)
From far Cathay, the dragon's Pearl:
Chaste, perfect as the silver moon. ---- (P1)
Each jewel in its weird-wrought casque,
Gift of the Viking craftsmen Elves.
Wonder and glory thirteen-fold:
These are the treasures the Fair Folk bring.

There are only 12 gems. The 13th treasure is the Elven casques.

Re: the wonderstone, the obvious interpretation is the amethyst, giving Germany as the "country of wonderstone's hearth" - this is what everyone has always assumed. The more interesting, cryptic interpretation is a reference to the rhyolite in Juneau Park, already a possible candidate because of the match with the Juneau statue.

BJG fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 20, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

blurradial posted:

In the book, wonderstone is used as a term for gems the creatures cared about so much. All of these gems were made by Viking Elves. In Juneau Park, there is a statue of Leif Ericson--credited and posed as discoverer of the New World. As they say in Raiders of the Lost Ark--"they're digging in the wrong place" (?)

Wonderstone/Rhyolite generally is picked for use as a decorative polished rock because it has some beautiful striations as shown on this page. You will notice some similarities between those wonderstone samples shown and the texture in the robe. I have been looking for similarities in decorative stonework on various buildings downtown but so far have not found a match. But I haven't looked extensively.

The two red balls that the woman is juggling has got me thinking too. If you are older you may remember the game of Jacks which usually includes two red rubber balls. Google it if you are unsure what I am talking about. Anyway, it is pretty commonly known and the first initial of Jacks is J for Juneau. Add the K in "key" for Kilbourn and the W in "walking stick" for Walker and you have the initials of the 3 founders of Milwaukee. Those are the first three things the juggler is juggling so there must be some significance. Maybe, but those clues don't seem to narrow down the location. They only provide a general indication.

As with the Chicago picture clues, they narrow the location down in a very specific way. This is why I think the picture clues are very specific and are important. The image of the City Hall isn't just a general clue, it is a huge arrow saying "look nearby!", and the same goes for certain clues for the Pabst Theater. In the Chicago picture, the clues of the Art Institute, the Columbian Exposition statue and the fence post narrowed it down to a very specific area around Grant Park. Juneau Park is too far away from the Milwaukee City Hall unfortunately so I hesitate looking for answers there.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

BJG posted:

The same digits have previously been suggested as a reversed Boston zip code, 02115, seen by the flower.

This includes the Victory Gardens.

Fenway Victory Gardens
15 Park Dr.,
Boston MA 02115

http://memory.loc.gov/rbc/amss/as1/as109860/001q.gif

Took me a minute to see what was being considered a "5" in that zip code, but that's not a bad find. I don't think anyone's mentioned that in this thread yet. The "1942" is a stretch for me, since "42" is used for the coordinates.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Milwaukee

If it really is verse 8, it calls for walking 100 paces SE over rock and soil. Depending on whether you use the modern "single-step" or traditional "every other step" for a pace (and how long your pace is), you need ~250 to ~500 feet of rock and soil to traverse in the vicinity of city hall.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

blurradial posted:

"Cathay" (Spain)

China.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The Hadas of Iberia:
Sapphire, shy as a wild field flower. ---- (P6)

Did Preiss write that or was it one of the other writers?

If he did, then I'd like to take a closer look.

Does Hadas pertain to a scholar of Classical history?

Does this refer to the Georgian and Ancient Greek named Iberia or the Spain Iberia?

Iberia (Georgian — იბერია, Latin: Iberia and Greek: Ἰβηρία), also known as Iveria (Georgian:ივერია), was a name given by the ancient Greeks and Romans to the ancient Georgiankingdom of Kartli (4th century BC – 5th century AD), corresponding roughly to the eastern and southern parts of the present day Georgia. The term Caucasian Iberia (or Eastern Iberia) is used to distinguish it from the Iberian Peninsula, where Spain, Portugal etc. are located.

Depending, this might have significant implications.

Edit: next question, how do we take the meaning of "shy" in connection to a wild field flower? I wonder what kind of flower and if its a clue to a state flower.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 20, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Preiss surely wrote the introduction and litany, it's so closely bound up with the images and the whole puzzle. The National Lampoon guys just wrote the stuff at the end AFAIK.

Urban Smurf posted:

Does this refer to the Georgian and Ancient Greek named Iberia or the Spain Iberia?

The introduction talks of "the Iberian Hadas (that is, the Spanish Fays)"

BJG fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 20, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

BJG posted:

The introduction talks of "the Iberian Hadas (that is, the Spanish Fays)"

Are you inferring Spain? How do exclude the older reference to Iberia Caucasian? Is Hadas a Spanish word or a fairy folklore reference?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

I quoted exactly what it says... you can read it yourself if you click the link...

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
Milwaukee

blurradial posted:

What bugged me here was the gemstone; everyone said "oh yeah, they must have colored it wrong but its supposed to be an amethyst". But it's not.

I agree it's colored wrong, but I've looked through all the pictures and there are no purple gems in any of them, and yet he says specifically in the introduction that an amethyst is one of the jewels. So I have no idea what's going on there. But I think we can be pretty sure that the number of balls corresponds to February and the primrose to the February birth flower, and amethyst is unquestionably the February birthstone.

Anyway, I think there's been a lot of focus on rhyolite being the "wonderstone," and this is the first I've learned that the 12 jewels were called wonderstones by Preiss (maybe I was the only one who missed that). In either case, the "country of wonderstone's hearth" is going to refer to Germany, since there's a ton of rhyolite specifically in Germany and the amethyst corresponds to Germany in the Litany of the Jewels. And if there's more meaning than that, then I think we should keep both stones in mind.

Also, the "letter from Germany" may refer to a letter from the alphabet in Fraktur or Gothic script, maybe on the side of a building or something.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

BJG posted:

I quoted exactly what it says... you can read it yourself if you click the link...

Okay, that still isn't enough to dismiss some minimal examination and begs the question why was he being parenthetical there and not elsewhere? Are you taking tthings at face value or just not willing to take the extra step in thought? Show the link that switches your brain to "take it up a notch", bud.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If Preiss were still alive, I can only assume he'd be as delighted to see people getting mad at each other over this as he would be that people are still interested.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Smurf posted:

Okay, that still isn't enough to dismiss some minimal examination and begs the question why was he being parenthetical there and not elsewhere? Are you taking tthings at face value or just not willing to take the extra step in thought? Show the link that switches your brain to "take it up a notch", bud.

You're welcome to pursue the Georgian Iberia idea as far as you can take it. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

You are right, I mistyped in my early morning blurring. Plus the cat wouldn't shut up. My point was that there was 13 Nations in the book, with Asian folk coming with their dragon near the end.

And to all, while I agree that the gem in the Milwaukee painting must be an amethyst and the flower a primrose -- neither clue help the search for the location.

Just like the key -- even though it helps solve the 'rebus' Mill wheel+Walking Cane+Skeleton Key=Milwaukee (since no numbers are present like other paintings), there is a key present in several paintings, like the ceramic key that is in the cask itself.

**So I think the most damning evidence is the pose of the statue, the shoreline/river in the cape (we can discount the neckline, which appears in several paintings), and the verbal clues which have us heading south from the Lion Bridges of Lake Park.

The drat thing is somewhere in Juneau Park. At the southern foot of the figure on the flagpole? At the southern foot of Juneau? At the southern foot of Leif Ericson? At the southern foot of the Knights Rock? At the southern foot of the giant boulder? Argh. I don't even dare dig or sonar until autumn at this point because of all the gardening.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

You're welcome to pursue the Georgian Iberia idea as far as you can take it. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Anyone here should be as welcome to respond to a thought provoking question. I pointed out that there may be implications in this examination, if its simple than anyone might be willing to make an effort. I'm interested in answers not lame tossing and turning. Wouldn't you agree that its important to ask the right questions?

Please, help the effort if it suits you. No need to beg only the question asker for the answer if you have the balls to think critcally.

Edit: let me explain the basis for my question. Like the Viking elves that scattered the jewels, and we know the true history of the Vikings did scatter and propigate various cultural gleanings (mostly by theft and force), here there are Greek references scattered throught the verses and images, and it is true that ancient Greek references are also scattered everywhere we might go in language, art and architecture, and folklore. I see that one parenthetical reference as a ploy to make it easy for us to dismiss the more original Iberia reference, which is rooted in an ancient Greek or Classical setting. If you don't think Preiss is referencing ancient Greek things while also drawing focus from distinct cultures then I'm sure you have no concern with my question. The implication that we believe the cintent of the paranthesis for the Sapphire is that we might be deliberatly fooled by Preiss.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 20, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

Milwaukee

If it really is verse 8, it calls for walking 100 paces SE over rock and soil. Depending on whether you use the modern "single-step" or traditional "every other step" for a pace (and how long your pace is), you need ~250 to ~500 feet of rock and soil to traverse in the vicinity of city hall.

Just to clarify, the actual verses are:

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil

There is nothing connecting the two verses. They could very well be taken completely separately.

As to your second point - "traditional "every other step" for a pace"? What? The "traditional pace" you mention ended with the Roman empire. I don't think we want to open up an argument about long dead interpretations.

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW

Urban Smurf posted:

Anyone here should be as welcome to respond to a thought provoking question. I pointed out that there may be implications in this examination, if its simple than anyone might be willing to make an effort. I'm interested in answers not lame tossing and turning. Wouldn't you agree that its important to ask the right questions?

Please, help the effort if it suits you. No need to beg only the question asker for the answer if you have the balls to think critically.

Urban Smurf, you getting a bit butt hurt because even the mods think you post too much whacked out poo poo? Sometimes your "theories" are a bit over the top that even Einstein would ask for clarification.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I don't understand how you can spend years trying to solve this and have such a poor grasp of how the puzzles work. I don't mean just getting things wrong, there's nothing wrong with throwing some stuff against the wall, but I mean trying to deconstruct them into some sort of geometry puzzle or weird tie ins to the Iberian peninsula or whatever the gently caress.

It is incredibly, incredibly likely that almost all of the puzzles work the same way, even if some are more difficult than others. They are all very likely to be solved by matching imagery near a park, within a few blocks (10 minutes in any direction seems fair as a guesstimate). There may be other clues, the verses don't all seem to work the exact same way in each puzzle, but none of them require dissecting geometric shapes and copying and pasting baseball players onto a google maps overlay.

There are direct image matches in 4 paintings (2 Solved, Legeater, Milwaukee). There is a "promising" one(s) in another [Boston].

The puzzles are likely to contain rebus type clues (Mill-walk-key/Bell-flower/Euclid triangle), but they probably don't go any deeper than that. I guarantee that all 12 of these will be solved "on the ground" either via a very clever verse solve (which will still likely reveal some matching imagery along the way), or via someone scouting likely parks and matching visual clues.

Occam's Razor tells us this - he buried all of the casks in what sounds like under 2 weeks, flying around the USA with a shovel. He did not have time to work out complex mathematical solutions or geometric puzzles that require comparing the angles between various structures and using those to plot a foot path. They just don't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Smurf posted:

Please, help the effort if it suits you. No need to beg only the question asker for the answer if you have the balls to think critically.

It appears that Preiss was quite clear that he meant Spain. Consequently, I think your idea is nuts and am not willing to invest any time in it.

If you think your idea has merit, do some preliminary investigation into it and convince me. I'm not here to do your work for you.