Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
There go my hopes of KitCam catching up to Camera+ in startup times then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Any idea why?

EDIT: I AM DUM

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Is there a way for me to transfer all of my apps to my computer prior to a restore? I have a handful of my apps in iTunes, but there's a bunch that I've paid for that aren't showing up there that I would like to not pay for again. Syncing doesn't seem to do anything.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Fatrick posted:

Is there a way for me to transfer all of my apps to my computer prior to a restore? I have a handful of my apps in iTunes, but there's a bunch that I've paid for that aren't showing up there that I would like to not pay for again. Syncing doesn't seem to do anything.

Do a restore to the computer.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fatrick posted:

Transfer purchases.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:siren: MS Office is out :siren:

(requires an Office 365 subscription)

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No iPad support? Guess they can't make it too useful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wow gently caress I didn't even notice that (browsing on my iPhone). What's the loving point without iPad support? :argh:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wow gently caress I didn't even notice that (browsing on my iPhone). What's the loving point without iPad support? :argh:

Gotta keep the Surface afloat, duh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If it worked on an iPad, Microsoft's ad campaigns would look pretty dumb.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Office 365? Is that like Xbox Live or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Subscription based Office, with the services hosted (if you want.) This is on the business side of course, a home user doesn't need hosted Lync or anything.

It also apparently keeps you up to date with Office releases, but my work is on ProPlus which is still using 2010.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PaganGoatPants posted:

It's their new pricing model. $99/year for access from 5 computers (pc/mac) and tablet/phones (no idea if tablets/mobile devices count). You also get 20 gigs on SkyDrive and like an hour of Skype calling / month. It also keeps up to date with Office so it isn't that bad a deal on paper? If they do an iPad app it's what I'll probably switch to.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's their new pricing model. $99/year for access from 5 computers (pc/mac) and tablet/phones (no idea if tablets/mobile devices count). You also get 20 gigs on SkyDrive and like an hour of Skype calling / month. It also keeps up to date with Office so it isn't that bad a deal on paper? If they do an iPad app it's what I'll probably switch to.

It's an even better deal for .edu accounts. A 4-year subscription is $80.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

maduin posted:

It's an even better deal for .edu accounts. A 4-year subscription is $80.

Wow, that's a seriously good deal. But it still doesn't beat google docs, although they still have a lot of kinks to knock out.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

b0red posted:

Wow, that's a seriously good deal. But it still doesn't beat google docs, although they still have a lot of kinks to knock out.

I haven't used it in a while but the last time I did it was way behind in terms of compatibility especially when it came to multi-tabbed spreadsheets with cell references and formulas and such. Not to mention the formatting was pretty bad. Has it gotten much better?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I haven't used it in a while but the last time I did it was way behind in terms of compatibility especially when it came to multi-tabbed spreadsheets with cell references and formulas and such. Not to mention the formatting was pretty bad. Has it gotten much better?

Spreadsheets are still really bad on the google docs app. I straight up couldn't edit one the other day and I created it, so it wasn't a permission issue.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Our organization deployed ~1,000 iPads recently, and now we are clamoring to make sense of no Office on the iPad (well, duh dummies). Executives are demanding IT figure out how the hell to create/edit Office documents on the iPad. Sure there are janky 3rd party solutions, most of which have their share of issues, so we are close to settling on approving the iWork suite for the company.

But even that's not fully compatible with corportrate-y spreadsheets and such.

Now Microsoft teases this (iPhone only, WTF). I realize they have Surfi to sell, but c'mon man. This is half baked as hell.

I'd venture to guess a full version of Office (iOS, iPad) is ready to go, but we all know - as has been pointed out, that MSFT has to sell their tablet. Cool, but it's pretty clear they are only offering a small olive branch to corporations with iOS devices in an attempt to satiate them until 2014 (or whenever) the real iOS office suite is released.

Hey, let's make a move to get corporations to sign up for Office 365. They will think the iPad version is out soon. After 6-12 months, BAM, we hit them with a native iOS Office suite, priced at, well, investors will just love it!

Frustrating. Should have gone Surface, I guess, but this just isn't happening. The ship has sailed and Microsoft is holding its cards close. Well played, I say (I don't have any horses in this race, but it's funny watching this unfold).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

That is 100% conjecture also why the hell would an organization deploy $500,000 worth of hardware on the hopes that probably sometime in the future office may come out for it? Were the iPads just sitting waiting to be used for some reason?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

That is 100% conjecture also why the hell would an organization deploy $500,000 worth of hardware on the hopes that probably sometime in the future office may come out for it? Were the iPads just sitting waiting to be used for some reason?

Total conjecture on my end. It's the internet after all.

We deployed iPads because we needed a mobile solution and had to tear through the budget before the end of 2012, so off the order went. We use them for many other things though, and Office is really the last thing we need on it now. But we wait, along with many other organizations. Once a full Office iOS app lands, the Surface will be a harder sell - which is something Microsoft is trying to avoid (for obvious reasons).

That said, I guarantee we will pony up for Office 365 once the Office "app" works on the iPad. Then we will license the official Office iOS suite once that lands (paying twice). Microsoft wins both rounds!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Bloody annoying how you can't use the app if you don't have the subscription service. I bought a copy of Office 2013 straight out since for individual users subscribing will cost far more than the one-time payment, but now apparently I can't use 365.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Original_Z posted:

Bloody annoying how you can't use the app if you don't have the subscription service. I bought a copy of Office 2013 straight out since for individual users subscribing will cost far more than the one-time payment, but now apparently I can't use 365.
But... that's why it's more expensive.

We just switched over Office 365 at work last month, but my organizational account doesn't work on the app. I'll talk to my tech guy, but I'm guessing we have some barebones package that doesn't include it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best comic book reader I've ever used on the PC is ComicRack and today they finally released their iOS client. It's probably a bit more expensive than I'd like, but it's fantastic. Blows ComicZeal out of the water. I bought the Android version a couple years back before I had an iPad and it was the one thing I really missed about my old Android tablet. I'm so glad to have it back.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Deadpool posted:

The best comic book reader I've ever used on the PC is ComicRack and today they finally released their iOS client. It's probably a bit more expensive than I'd like, but it's fantastic. Blows ComicZeal out of the water. I bought the Android version a couple years back before I had an iPad and it was the one thing I really missed about my old Android tablet. I'm so glad to have it back.

Can you post a link? I'm not seeing it on the App Store via my iPhone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

petewhitley posted:

Can you post a link? I'm not seeing it on the App Store via my iPhone.

Seems like it's iPad only at this point. Didn't realize that when I first posted it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 18, 2013

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Deadpool posted:

Seems like it's iPad only at this point. Didn't realize that when I first posted it.

That's cool, I'll look for it on the iPad when I get home. I usually read via ComiXology on the iPhone anyways. Thanks for the heads up. I'm still using Comic Zeal because I've haven't found anything I like quite as much in terms of UI, but it has several things that kinda bug me so I'm happy to try something new.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It looks nice, but $8 is a bit spendy for some extra features when Comic Zeal already does the main "lets you read comics" thing that I'm looking for. What exactly is it about ComicRack that you like so much that would justify that price point?

E: Ok, messing around with the desktop app, the idea of having metadata like mp3s have tags for comics is actually really useful. I assume the app will automatically organize series by this making it so I don't have to manually put stuff into folders like in ComicZeal?

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 18, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

It looks nice, but $8 is a bit spendy for some extra features when Comic Zeal already does the main "lets you read comics" thing that I'm looking for. What exactly is it about ComicRack that you like so much that would justify that price point?

E: Ok, messing around with the desktop app, the idea of having metadata like mp3s have tags for comics is actually really useful. I assume the app will automatically organize series by this making it so I don't have to manually put stuff into folders like in ComicZeal?

Yup. If you used the desktop app to organize your collection it all transfers organized the same way. You can then search for comics by writer, artist, character, storyline, etc...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Yup. If you used the desktop app to organize your collection it all transfers organized the same way. You can then search for comics by writer, artist, character, storyline, etc...

Ok yeah, that's worth it. There appears to be a feature where it can automatically scrape Comic Vine for all the info as well. I'll have to check this out.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Since there's a 50% sale on Sony' Music Unlimited for PS+ subscribers, does anyone have any opinions/reviews on how it works if you want to use it primarily from an iOS device? Particularly since the jump to 320kbps bitrate? The sale price is tempting considering I'm in Canada where there is a serious, crushing paucity of options for this kind of thing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Newsify just got Feedly support

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like mobile Office is up in Canada now, by the way.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is it me or has the new Facebook update kind of fixed the battery issues?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anyone ever had any problems with the default music player just refusing to play particular tracks? I'm trying to play an album I purchased from Beatport, and everything plays fine on my computer (both in WMP and in iTunes), but when I try and play tracks on my iPhone, it just refuses to start playing, then goes back to the track listing. Sometimes while it's trying to play I can scrub forward a few seconds and it plays just fine :wtc:

Any ideas? Google is coming up empty, plus I've deleted and re-added them to both my phone and iTunes library and neither of those things worked.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
How do I make the podcasts app remember where I am in the track? I just started using podcasts so sorry if this is a dumb question.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Umm...mine does this automatically. Are you sure yours doesn't?

EDIT: Not only that, it backs it up too - I just swapped phones and it picked right up where I left off on my old phone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How do I make the podcasts app remember where I am in the track? I just started using podcasts so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Get Downcast? :haw:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

SunknLiner posted:

Umm...mine does this automatically. Are you sure yours doesn't?

EDIT: Not only that, it backs it up too - I just swapped phones and it picked right up where I left off on my old phone.

Hm, it didn't work this morning but seems to be working now. Maybe I pressed the wrong button.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Get Downcast? :haw:

What is better about downcast?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I achieve this by marking them as podcasts in itunes before adding them to the app, though I'm not sure you can add it without doing this before hand anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Hm, it didn't work this morning but seems to be working now. Maybe I pressed the wrong button.

What is better about downcast?

Dunno never used the default, but it does everything I need. Location downloads and whatnot.

quote:

Subscription Features
+ Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
+ Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
+ Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
+ Continue podcast downloads in background (per iOS restrictions)
+ Browse and download older podcast episodes
+ Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule or location
+ Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
+ Import and export podcast feeds via OMPL
+ Support for password-protected feeds
+ Create and edit "smart" playlists
+ View podcast details and episode show notes
+ Rename podcasts with long or unwieldy names

iCloud Syncing
+ Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other iOS devices via iCloud

Playback Features
+ Video and audio AirPlay support
+ Play audio in the background (for supported devices)
+ .5x, 1x, 1.5x, 2x and 3x speed playback*
+ Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
+ Stream episodes without downloading
+ Control audio with Bluetooth or other headphone remote controls
+ View embedded images in podcast episodes
+ Gesture support
+ Sleep timer

• Locked thread